ATV BAN lady again....
ATV Risk N Dangers

Elizabeth, PA

#162 Feb 26, 2013
We send our remembrance and bereavement the family and friends of the ATV driver killed in an accident yesterday in Fayette County. May the driver RIP.
Spin them stats

Pittsburgh, PA

#163 Feb 26, 2013
Agree. Nice thought.

Let's also say a prayer for the 32,367 deaths due to automobile crashes in 2011.

And while we are at it let's also have a moment of silence for the 443,000 (est) dead folks last year alone due to smoking related disease.(quoted, CDC)
Proof is online

Pittsburgh, PA

#164 Feb 26, 2013
My Uninsured Story wrote:
<quoted text>
East McKeesport several years ago let an uninsured driver go when he rear ended our car. They refused to follow up and cite him for this infraction. They were reluctant to provide a "finalized" police report and only relented when I promised to visit my state rep immediately
In fact we lost the case for unexplainable reasons at the local MDJ court. Someone knew someone. We hired an attorney and evently settled with our own insurance company via the uninsured provision. So much for E. McKeesport towing uninsured vehicles.
What was the name of the offending (uninsured) driver, docket number on that case and the date?
ATV Risk N Dangers

Elizabeth, PA

#165 Feb 26, 2013
Westmoreland County woman killed in ATV crash

February 25, 2013 3:32 pm
By Timothy McNulty / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A Westmoreland County woman was killed Sunday after an early morning crash on an all-terrain vehicle.

Katelin Williams, 20, of Smithton was a passenger in an ATV that was driving through a wooded area of Grindstone, Fayette County, at about 2 a.m. Sunday when the driver lost control going up a steep hill and the vehicle flipped over, Washington County coroner Tim Warco said.
She was thrown from the ATV and transported to Monongahela Valley Hospital, where she was declared dead of blunt force trauma of the trunk, the coroner said.

The driver was not identified.
The cause of death was ruled accidental Pennsylvania State Police in the Belle Vernon barracks are investigating.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/wes...
My Uninsured Story

Elizabeth, PA

#166 Feb 26, 2013
Proof is online wrote:
<quoted text>
What was the name of the offending (uninsured) driver, docket number on that case and the date?
I will not even give you a clue of what year this took place. Nice try at trying the find out the who, when, where, and why of this case. I am not in the mood to self destroy my well being and future.

I will say our lawyer did a wonderful and efficient job in the settlement. We just wanted to recover some the damages to the rear end of our car.
Perry Mason

Pittsburgh, PA

#167 Feb 27, 2013
My Uninsured Story wrote:
<quoted text>
I will not even give you a clue of what year this took place. Nice try at trying the find out the who, when, where, and why of this case. I am not in the mood to self destroy my well being and future.
I will say our lawyer did a wonderful and efficient job in the settlement. We just wanted to recover some the damages to the rear end of our car.
Not interested at all in who you are. Couldn't care less, frankly.

But when you chime in on a story and try to discredit someone (you were clearly trying to say that the law doesn't work) you need to understand that you may be called to prove what you say.

So, seeing as you are unwilling to provide proof of your story (can't say I blame you -- Topix is a real cesspool) it is just another anonymous story with nothing to credit or discredit it......so who knows if it ever even happened?

Not sure what this has to do with the topic anyways...oh wait, I think you were trying to say that lawyers are wonderful.

Well, like anything else, some are, some are not.

Some are ambulance chasers and muckrakers and others are legit people , who actually help people with real legal issues.

Your story would lend towards the latter type of lawyer....someone broke THE LAW and caused you actual DAMAGES that you needed to collect.

But running to court and manipulating the system to serve one's own interests and pleasures is something that any GOOD attorney would be (SHOULD be) embarrassed to do. But there are plenty of them out there that will. And there are plenty out there that will whore themselves out to pursue similar desires for others under the guise of "justice".

Those types of attorneys have turned out legal system into what it is today.
Ban pedestrians and cars

Pittsburgh, PA

#168 Feb 27, 2013
Victim in pedestrian hit-and-run rushed to hospital

1:15 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2013

PITTSBURGH —

Authorities are looking for a vehicle that was involved in a pedestrian hit-and-run accident Tuesday afternoon in the city’s Esplen neighborhood.

Dispatchers from 911 told Channel 11 News that the accident was reported at the intersection of Carson and Stanhope streets just before 1 p.m.

Officials said the victim, whose name has not been released, was taken to UPMC Mercy Hospital. They said the person was conscious while in the ambulance.

Investigators have not released a description of the vehicle involved.
- See more at: http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/victim-pe...
Cars are deathtraps

Pittsburgh, PA

#169 Feb 27, 2013
Car crashes are leading cause of death among U.S. teens and young adults

July 19, 2012 —

The most dangerous city for driving in the U.S. is Orlando, Fla., according to a new government report.

Although rates have declined in recent years, car crashes still are a leading cause of death in the U.S. In 2009, 34,485 people died in car crashes in the U.S., and 22% of them were aged 15 to 24. The new findings appear in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report(MMWR).

Researchers compared rates of motor vehicle crash deaths across cities and the 50 most densely populated metropolitan areas in the U.S. The overall rate of car crash deaths in the U.S. was 11.1 per 100,000 residents, ranging from just less than four to Orlando's high of 19.4. Among individuals aged 15 to 24, this rate in the top 50 metropolitan areas was 13.0 per 100,000 and ranged from a low of 7.3 to a high of 25.8.

10 Most Unsafe Cities to Drive In

According to the new findings, the 10 most unsafe cities for driving in the U.S. are:

Orlando, Fla.
Memphis, Tenn.
Glendale, Tenn.
Miami, Fla.
Las Vegas
Birmingham, Ala.
Sacramento, Calif.
Tampa, Fla.
San Antonio, Texas
Jacksonville, Fla.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/lifestyles/health/to...
Ban elderly drivers

Pittsburgh, PA

#170 Feb 27, 2013
Driver killed after crashing into pole near Gateway Center ID’d

Updated: 7:08 p.m. Friday, Jan. 18, 2013
Posted: 11:07 a.m. Friday, Jan. 18, 2013

PITTSBURGH —

Emergency officials said an 80-year-old man was killed after crashing into a pole near downtown Pittsburgh's Gateway Center Friday morning.

According to initial reports, Donald Fox, of Mt. Lebanon, was out of his vehicle and lying in the median when first responders arrived.

Fox was rushed to UPMC Mercy Hospital where he was pronounced dead just after 11 a.m., officials said.

Pittsburgh police and state troopers were at the scene collecting evidence. Officials said the car's transmission was found about a half block away from the accident scene.

Witnesses told police that the van came off of the Parkway exit at a high rate of speed and slammed into an above-ground utility box and light pole on Liberty Avenue. Witnesses said a Port Authority bus unloading passengers nearby was nearly hit before the driver slammed into the pole.

"Right now it's looking like an accident, a horrific accident that occurred. We are in the preliminary stages of the investigation but it's possible this could have started on the highway inbound," Pittsburgh police Cmdr. Eric Holmes said.“According to some of the witnesses I heard talking, the vehicle was traveling at a high rate of speed.”

Investigators believe Fox had some type of medical condition that led to the crash.

People who work in the nearby office buildings said they heard what sounded like a bomb go off when the van hit the pole.

"I started looking down and the guy was laying here in the street. Immediately there was a bunch of people surrounding him," said witness Michael Heike.

The crash remains under investigation.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/driver-se...
Ban swimming pools

Pittsburgh, PA

#171 Feb 27, 2013
http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/...

Unintentional Drowning: Get the Facts

Overview

Every day, about ten people die from unintentional drowning.

Of these, two are children aged 14 or younger. Drowning ranks fifth among the leading causes of unintentional injury death in the United States.1
How big is the problem?

From 2005-2009, there were an average of 3,533 fatal unintentional drownings (non-boating related) annually in the United States — about ten deaths per day. An additional 347 people died each year from drowning in boating-related incidents.2
About one in five people who die from drowning are children 14 and younger.2 For every child who dies from drowning, another five receive emergency department care for nonfatal submersion injuries.1
More than 50% of drowning victims treated in emergency departments (EDs) require hospitalization or transfer for further care (compared with a hospitalization rate of about 6% for all unintentional injuries).1,2 These nonfatal drowning injuries can cause severe brain damage that may result in long-term disabilities such as memory problems, learning disabilities, and permanent loss of basic functioning (e.g., permanent vegetative state).3,4

Who is most at risk?

Males: Nearly 80% of people who die from drowning are male.2
Children: Children ages 1 to 4 have the highest drowning rates. In 2009, among children 1 to 4 years old who died from an unintentional injury, more than 30% died from drowning.1,2 Among children ages 1 to 4, most drownings occur in home swimming pools.2 Drowning is responsible for more deaths among children 1-4 than any other cause except congenital anomalies (birth defects).1 Among those 1-14, fatal drowning remains the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death behind motor vehicle crashes.1

Minorities: Between 2005 and 2009, the fatal unintentional drowning rate for African Americans was significantly higher than that of whites across all ages.2 The disparity is widest among children 5-14 years old. The fatal drowning rate of African American children ages 5 to 14 is almost three times that of white children in the same age range.2

Factors such as access to swimming pools, the desire or lack of desire to learn how to swim, and choosing water-related recreational activities may contribute to the racial differences in drowning rates. Available rates are based on population, not on participation. If rates could be determined by actual participation in water-related activities, the disparity in minorities’ drowning rates compared to whites would be much greater.5

http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/...
Revise ordinance

Pittsburgh, PA

#172 Feb 27, 2013
Spin them stats wrote:
Agree. Nice thought.
Let's also say a prayer for the 32,367 deaths due to automobile crashes in 2011.
And while we are at it let's also have a moment of silence for the 443,000 (est) dead folks last year alone due to smoking related disease.(quoted, CDC)
So wait, there were 32,367 automobile deaths in 2011 alone....

According to this site
http://www.atvsafety.gov/stats.html

There were 7,033 total ATV related deaths between 2000 and 2010....ten years.

WOW! Maybe we should all be riding ATVs instead of cars!?!?!?

I say let's revise the ATV ordinance so that it bans the TRUE "public safety enenmy #1".....the automobile!
Danger in your shed

Pittsburgh, PA

#173 Feb 27, 2013
Oh my GOD....WHO KNEW!!!!

200,000 people injured!!!!!!

http://www.amputee-coalition.org/absolutenm/a...

Lawn Mower Accidents Are the Leading Cause of Major Amputations for Children Under 10
Amputee Coalition of America
03/24/2010

More Than 600 Children Undergo Mower-Related Amputations Each Year

More attention needs to be paid to lawn mower safety this year, according to the Amputee Coalition of America. Needless limb loss accidents can be prevented by taking simple commonsense precautions.(See the checklist at the end.)

Depending on where you live in the U.S., you may mow your lawn 30 times or more this year. Every time you start your mower, you are dealing with a dangerous and potentially deadly piece of equipment. By following just a few safety measures before you mow, you can avoid life-altering accidents.

Lawn mower accidents cause serious injuries to legs, arms, fingers, toes or other body parts. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 200,000 people – around 16,000 of them under age 19 – were treated for lawn mower-related injuries in 2007. More than 600 children undergo amputations each year as the result of lawn mower-related injuries. For children under age 10, major limb loss is most commonly caused by lawn mowers.

“In 2010, we want to see the number of accidents greatly reduced by increasing public awareness of lawn mower safety. Amputations from lawn mower accidents are among the most preventable,” says Kendra Calhoun, president & CEO of the Amputee Coalition of America.“The statistics on childhood amputations caused by lawn mower accidents are shocking. By following commonsense safety rules, you can prevent lawn mower injuries to yourself and others. Taking proper precautions with lawn-mowing equipment is critical.”
Danger in your garage

Pittsburgh, PA

#174 Feb 27, 2013
The facts for the Northeast US ONLY.

Motor vehicle related death statistics ages 10-60 from 2000-2010.

Note that the autombile is the leading cause of motor vehicle related death i people aged 10-60 over a period of 10 years JUST IN THE NORTHEAST US.

ATVs are ICD code 86.3 and are a subset of code 86 shown on the graph. They are a percentage of the 1% group which also includes off road jeeps, trucks, dirt bikes, dune buggies, carts, etc

http://webappa.cdc.gov/cgi-bin/broker.exe...
Fair N Balanced

Elizabeth, PA

#175 Feb 27, 2013
War is a leading cause of death or injury in a combat zone.

We should ban all wars and weapons of distruction.
Troublemaker

Pittsburgh, PA

#176 Feb 27, 2013
Anybody find a Man Bites Dog story yet?
Holy smokes

Pittsburgh, PA

#177 Feb 27, 2013
Troublemaker wrote:
Anybody find a Man Bites Dog story yet?
LOL At first I just laughed when I read your post.... Then thought I would try looking.

Oh my GOD.

Damn crazy Canadians.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/20...

CBC News Posted: Sep 27, 2012 12:49 PM ET
Last Updated: Sep 27, 2012 7:17 PM ET

Police in Pembroke, Ont., are investigating a bizarre case of a man who allegedly attacked a dog on a downtown street early Wednesday morning.

The man, who is in his 20s, was apprehended under the Mental Health Act, and taken to hospital.

Tanner Comeau, 18, a witness, was driving home to Petawawa through downtown Pembroke at about 12:30 a.m. ET with a friend when he saw something strange at the intersection of Pembroke Street West and Christie Street.

"We drove by it, and it was in the middle of the intersection. It was a guy wrapped around a dog, choking it, biting it. It was messed up," Comeau told the CBC's Kristy Nease by phone from Petawawa on Thursday morning. "So we pulled over. And the guy was in his boxers.

"We ran up to him, screaming at him. Our first priority was to go and hit him … but then we decided to call the cops because he was eating the dog, and there was blood all over the place and the dog was squealing. It was just really, really disturbing."
Neighbour took injured dog inside

Comeau's friend, who was driving, called 911, and the two young men started screaming at the man attacking the dog. Comeau said the noise alerted people nearby, and a crowd of about 10 to 15 people showed up.

"There was a big circle of all of us yelling at him … and the dog finally got free," Comeau said.

Comeau said the man started running after the dog, but a neighbour had already taken it inside.

By that point, Comeau said police sirens and lights could be heard.
Bath salts link not confirmed

The man ran down a hill with his hands in the air, screaming, Comeau said.

Police gave chase to apprehend the man, said Pembroke police Const. Dillon Gerundin, who could not say if the man suffered any injuries.

The officer said he was aware that a rumour was circulating in the community on social media that the man may have been high on drugs known as bath salts.

Police haven't been able to rule out drugs as a factor, but Gerundin said there "is no evidence to suggest that bath salts are involved."
Dog suffers minor injuries

The dog, a female pitbull, was taken in for treatment by Pembroke Animal Control. Animal Control said the pitbull suffered minor, non-life-threatening injuries in the attack.

Animal Control officer Michael Street is looking after the dog and said she is in great condition considering the incident, and is walking in their outside pen eating and drinking.

He said he has fielded numerous calls offering to help the dog but he said it is too early to talk about relocating the animal until they can determine if she has an owner.
Mckeesporter

Mckeesport, PA

#178 Mar 28, 2013
We can hear the ATV's from Marshall Drive! Definitely not good. Move to a farm.
Watch 4 Backlash

Elizabeth, PA

#179 Mar 29, 2013
Mckeesporter wrote:
We can hear the ATV's from Marshall Drive! Definitely not good. Move to a farm.
Will the mayor enforce the ordinance? My guess is no because he wants to appease the fireman but the local disenchaned citizens may sway more votes.
Michelle O

West Mifflin, PA

#180 Mar 29, 2013
Spin them stats wrote:
Agree. Nice thought.
Dont forget all the vets that GW BUsh killed in Iraq and Afghanistan ( 4000 ) the useless unwinnable wars.....
This message brought to you by the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Rice crime family..........
Old but not wise

Pittsburgh, PA

#181 Apr 2, 2013
Wish there was an ordinance against nasty, cranky old retirees with nothing better to do than moan and whine, coming here to pretend they are a large number of people.

That moaning and whining is much louder than a few 4 stroke engines.

You think you know it all but all your old age has brought you is liver spots and a weak bladder.

Go take your Geritol and leave the kids alone ya old codgers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKeesport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Rivalry is back 6 hr Sir Repko 3
probationary officer terminated for using the n... 10 hr Miss Morgan 11
Class Reunions? Are they worth going to? 19 hr Not 9
News 'Missing' woman often seen on McKeesport streets (Mar '06) Fri Dada 25
free sign ups for titan youth football (Mar '12) Thu Pony T 14
Poll JC Penney's closing down in Century III mall by... (Feb '13) Thu Themis 19
Serra looking to cover-up, again (Feb '16) Sep 27 Themis 76

McKeesport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance