who was JOEY BERTONE?
Senstor Jon McLane

Hockessin, DE

#123 Oct 11, 2013
Yippee ki yay M F'r
Jack B Goode

Boynton Beach, FL

#124 Oct 11, 2013
I did some cursory web searching as to some of the above posts.

1963 Joey Bertone was convicted of burglary

1971 Federal Hijacking charges against Joey Bertone were dropped when a key witness was found dead on a deserted Westmoreland road with a bullet in his head.

1975 Joey was acquitted of loan-sharking in a US District court.

1975 Joe Grace was shot by Jocko Heatherington in the Noah's Arc floating bar off Water Street. Jocko was later convicted of involuntary manslaughter. Later an appeal was granted for the conviction, and Jock remained on bond. I could find nothing further as to the out come of the appeal.

December 17, 1977 Elizabeth “Betty Jane” Berquist, McKeesport Hospital nurse went missing.

April 15, 1978 the nurse's skull was found in Hawkins Hollow, Fayette County.

May 6, 1978 a Pgh Press article identified James Neal last known address as White Oak, then believed to be living in Florida as the boyfriend of the nurse, and father of the nurse's 2 year old daughter, Tara.

1978 Joey Bertone opened Joey's on Eden Park Blvd with out a liquor license.

1979 Pgh Press story reveals hearing information where the Production manager of the McKeesport Daily News said he was the owner of Joey's under oath, and Joey is just an employee, but the land is owned by Joey's parents.

1-15-1982 an implosion leveled Joey's bar.

August 2, 1982 Jocko Heatherington (51) was shot 7 times in N. Versailles. He was brain dead, but lingered on for a month.

1983 Joey rebuilt and opened Joey's II.

July 1, 1983 Francis "Rick" Ferri (50) was indicted for trying to blow up Buckaroos, Inc in Shady side.

6-17-1985 Joey Bertone (54) disappeared.

11-21-1985 a Post Gazette story details Joey's et als attempt to collect a million dollars from Joey's explosion in 1982. Gorge "Sonny" Jordan, SR. in court said he owned Joey's at the time of the explosion. Jorden was killed in a NY suspicious truck accident later.

June 20, 1987 Francis "Rick" Ferri (53) was sentenced for Jocko's murder to life in prison avoiding the death penalty. Anthony LaRocca (47) was also to be tried for the murder later that summer.

"Primo" is identified as Primo Mollica of Glassport. Mollica was known to control illegal gambling in the Monongahela Valley before his death in 2001 at age 65.

Who is the son which was recently arrested in the PA Attorney generals sting?
greenuys

West Mifflin, PA

#125 Oct 11, 2013
Anything more on this James Neal?
Candy Corn Delivery

Hockessin, DE

#126 Oct 11, 2013
greenuys wrote:
Anything more on this James Neal?
I think the pens signed him for 5 million
Malinwhack

Mckeesport, PA

#127 Oct 13, 2013
I didn't know him but he donated to Brewster!!
poll watcher

Mckeesport, PA

#128 Oct 15, 2013
Local businessman
LuLu

Mckeesport, PA

#129 Dec 7, 2013
Jack B Goode wrote:
I did some cursory web searching as to some of the above posts.
1963 Joey Bertone was convicted of burglary
1971 Federal Hijacking charges against Joey Bertone were dropped when a key witness was found dead on a deserted Westmoreland road with a bullet in his head.
1975 Joey was acquitted of loan-sharking in a US District court.
1975 Joe Grace was shot by Jocko Heatherington in the Noah's Arc floating bar off Water Street. Jocko was later convicted of involuntary manslaughter. Later an appeal was granted for the conviction, and Jock remained on bond. I could find nothing further as to the out come of the appeal.
December 17, 1977 Elizabeth “Betty Jane” Berquist, McKeesport Hospital nurse went missing.
April 15, 1978 the nurse's skull was found in Hawkins Hollow, Fayette County.
May 6, 1978 a Pgh Press article identified James Neal last known address as White Oak, then believed to be living in Florida as the boyfriend of the nurse, and father of the nurse's 2 year old daughter, Tara.
1978 Joey Bertone opened Joey's on Eden Park Blvd with out a liquor license.
1979 Pgh Press story reveals hearing information where the Production manager of the McKeesport Daily News said he was the owner of Joey's under oath, and Joey is just an employee, but the land is owned by Joey's parents.
1-15-1982 an implosion leveled Joey's bar.
August 2, 1982 Jocko Heatherington (51) was shot 7 times in N. Versailles. He was brain dead, but lingered on for a month.
1983 Joey rebuilt and opened Joey's II.
July 1, 1983 Francis "Rick" Ferri (50) was indicted for trying to blow up Buckaroos, Inc in Shady side.
6-17-1985 Joey Bertone (54) disappeared.
11-21-1985 a Post Gazette story details Joey's et als attempt to collect a million dollars from Joey's explosion in 1982. Gorge "Sonny" Jordan, SR. in court said he owned Joey's at the time of the explosion. Jorden was killed in a NY suspicious truck accident later.
June 20, 1987 Francis "Rick" Ferri (53) was sentenced for Jocko's murder to life in prison avoiding the death penalty. Anthony LaRocca (47) was also to be tried for the murder later that summer.
"Primo" is identified as Primo Mollica of Glassport. Mollica was known to control illegal gambling in the Monongahela Valley before his death in 2001 at age 65.
Who is the son which was recently arrested in the PA Attorney generals sting?
How is this all related?
Jack B Goode

Boynton Beach, FL

#130 Dec 7, 2013
LuLu wrote:
<quoted text>
How is this all related?
Duh.... I think providing mostly factual information on the subject as the topic developed lends one* to see the relevancy.

*one: A person with the ability to read, comprehend, and follow the topic.
Red Robin

United States

#131 Dec 12, 2013
I do know James Neal? He is still running around White Oak and Versailles. Joey Bartone also had a child that no one knows about.
groovster

Mckeesport, PA

#132 Dec 27, 2013
If no one knows, how do you
groovster

Mckeesport, PA

#133 Dec 27, 2013
History Continues wrote:
Post #84 is excellent Port history and the part I was aware of are precisely as you published.
Excellent historical facts and thanks for putting it together so well.
With all due respect, I would like to add to the Neuman starting or trigger point. At a council meeting the school director publically accused councilman Neuman of using city equipment to clean some debris from Neuman's car wash at the bottom of Eden Park Blvd. The school director said he had pictures to show Mike used city equipment. However, no such pictures existed and the school director admitted such. But, Mike did not know about that. Unfortunately, Mike over reacted to try to neutralize the nonexistent photos and ended up in a federal cage.
I know some one that just happened to be at that council meeting and overheard the late school director telling his companion, that “Now I got to go out and take those pictures that I told Mike I had.” Mike got dupped on that one.
I agree with you the Mike was on his way to higher political offices. He had it all. He had the most impressive and expensive bill boards every for a council race. Too bad he jumped off track so bad and fast.
Wonder what "debris" MIKE needed cleaned from his car wash?? Anyone know what year this was? Something doesn't add up here. Who cleans a car wash haha
Jack B Goode

Boynton Beach, FL

#134 Dec 27, 2013
It was in the 70;s, but the exact year I do not know.
Storm Damage

Mckeesport, PA

#135 Dec 27, 2013
groovster wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonder what "debris" MIKE needed cleaned from his car wash?? Anyone know what year this was? Something doesn't add up here. Who cleans a car wash haha
The car wash drive way suffered from the mud, gravel, and other stuff that flowed down Eden Park Blvd as a result of a torrential downpour.

The carwash drive way was in kind of a low spot and the junk flowed into his driveway. I would guess the year to be in the early or mid 1970s.
Storm Damage

Mckeesport, PA

#136 Dec 27, 2013
Jack B Goode wrote:
It was in the 70;s, but the exact year I do not know.
The trial was in March 1970 and I would guess it happened in 1969 per the following.

476 F.2d 733: United States of America v. Michael Newman and Frank X. Gaca. Appeal of Michael Newman
United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit.- 476 F.2d 733

Argued Dec. 4, 1972.Decided March 29, 1973
Richard L. Thornburgh, U. S. Atty., James M. Seif, Kathleen Kelly Curtin, Asst. U. S. Attys., Pittsburgh, Pa., for appellee.

Thomas A. Livingston, Livingston & Miller, and John L. Doherty, Pittsburgh, Pa., for appellants.

Before VAN DUSEN, GIBBONS and HUNTER, Circuit Judges.
VAN DUSEN, Circuit Judge.

This appeal by Michael Newman challenges his June 22, 1972, sentence and judgment.1 Newman, who was at the time a City Councilman in McKeesport, Pennsylvania, had been convicted by a jury on Count I of a two-count indictment,2 which charged him with willfully procuring another person to intercept telephone conversations in violation of 18 U.S.C. Secs. 2511(1)(a) and 2.3 We affirm.

The evidence adduced at Newman's trial revealed that on March 3, 1970, Thomas Nee, a former Bell Telephone employee and a political associate of Newman, installed a tape recorder and activator on the telephone line of Mr. and Mrs. Eugene O'Neill. Nee, the chief Government witness, testified that Newman directed him to undertake the interceptions in order to collect politically useful information of the plans of Newman's opponents (N.T. 93-94).

The interceptions continued for approximately one week. Each day Nee would service the recording device by removing the tape recorder from the telephone line and later playing the contents of the tape for Newman (N.T. 108-121). The tape recorder was discovered when Nee apparently inadvertently set it on broadcast, rather than record (N.T. 124). Nee was indicted for his participation and subsequently entered a plea of guilty.

The defendant urges each of three contentions as a basis for reversal:

I. The trial court erred when it denied him the opportunity to call the United States Attorney as a witness to impeach Nee's credibility.

II. The trial court erred when it refused his request, made in the midst of the trial, to hear the contents of the tape found on the tape recorder. Neither the tape nor its contents were received in evidence.

III. The trial court committed plain error in its charge to the jury.

We shall consider these contentions in the above order.

Newman contends that he has been denied his Sixth Amendment right to compulsory process. Specifically, he argues that the refusal by the trial court to allow him the opportunity to call the United States Attorney thwarted his efforts to impeach the credibility of Nee by showing a bargain had been reached between the Government and Nee concerning the sentence for Nee's admitted participation in illegal electronic surveillance and his possible prosecution for perjury before the grand jury.

Newman claims Nee's explicit denial of a bargain on cross-examination4 was inconsistent with the following statement made by the United States Attorney during a conference outside of the presence of the jury ("he" refers to Nee):

"He indicated if we indicate our good faith as best we can that he will disclose these facts at that time and we will then proceed to prosecute those persons who are responsible, but he has a Fifth Amendment right to I think avoid getting into those other offenses." (N.T. 146)
Sees it all

North Versailles, PA

#137 Dec 27, 2013
Who cares old dead men old dead history
Storm Damage

Mckeesport, PA

#138 Dec 27, 2013
Correction - The screwed up line tap happened in March 1970.
Troublemaker

Pittsburgh, PA

#139 Dec 28, 2013
Sees it all wrote:
Who cares old dead men old dead history
Dead? Are you sure?
Storm Damage

Mckeesport, PA

#140 Dec 28, 2013
Troublemaker wrote:
<quoted text>
Dead? Are you sure?
Good point! Evidence is inconclusive to date!

Rumor evidence is inadmissible in the eyes and minds of most astute citizens and observers.

Missing does not always equal to dead.
Trigger Joe

Elizabeth, PA

#142 Dec 28, 2013
youtube.com/watch ...… heres what he was now heres his future
----------
Stupid - Way too stupid . Wanna go for a ride ? You sit in the front ," I'll be right behind you ."
gloria

Mckeesport, PA

#143 Dec 30, 2013
Red Robin wrote:
I do know James Neal? He is still running around White Oak and Versailles. Joey Bartone also had a child that no one knows about.
We ALL know a little somethin somethin about James Neal huh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKeesport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I can't believe it!!!!! 1 hr Unbelievable 1
Could you imagine 2 hr Not Scum 8
Deverse and Riley running the school district 3 hr DoTell 3
Why so much racism in this forum and Glassport.... (Sep '13) 11 hr UnDoc Risha 39
News No Duquesne City Students in Baldwin-Whitehall ... (Mar '13) 11 hr UnDoc Risha 29
democratic vs republician (May '17) 23 hr UnDoc Risha 50
Does Alexandroff Speak Thu Sir Repko 10

McKeesport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

McKeesport Mortgages