who was JOEY BERTONE?
Lead With RESPECT

Elizabeth, PA

#103 Jan 23, 2013
Lead With RESPECT wrote:
<quoted text>
The elected officials, city employees, and high profile citizens should followed a known felon's example of RESPECT for others.
RESPECT starts with our leaders being honest and transparent and a establishing a non-bully zone city hall.
Does RESPECT include IV gate accountibility?
Port-er

Mckeesport, PA

#104 Jan 24, 2013
I have to laugh at people how think they know but dont. Joe Bertone was a mobster that was tied into ripping people off either business(his many businesses over the years)or cocaine deals with the mob in general. Yes his parents owned Prudy's Italian store on versailles avenue right by the old argon. They had great italian hoagies and sauce, lunch meat, His parents were hard working honest italian family. His sister and mother later ran the store after his father died.

My dad grew up with him in mckeesport up by versailles and union avenue. later in life my dad bought house in haler heights which was also where Joey ended up living. I knew his family, his two daughters and son Sal. I was younger than his kids but my older siblings were their ages and hung out. They were the family on the block with the built in kidney shaped pool and high end cars and toys.

Many stories are around about how he "disappeared" but Joey was tied in with the Jordan crew from mckeesport/duquense and Porter crew from penn hills via his mafia partner Joey Rosa. Another associate not mobster but associate of Joey Bertone was Jocko Healtherington who also was rubbed out by hit man over drugs as well. There were many other characters in mckeesport at this time that were same mobster good fells kind, Joe Gray, Trigger Joe, Geno, Jocko, and more...

What is record is Joey was wacked out over ripping off other mobsters on coke deals that eventually caught up with him. He was supposedly last seen at Sonny Jordans truck garage. Sonny Jordan died two years after Joey in an trucking accident in NY. Many rumors on how that happened to. Anyway

I still remember him driving through haler heights in his white caddy baritz which they later found in new kensington after he disappeared. News paper reports of later mob trials of Joey Rosa and Geno Chiarelli said Joey was shot at Jordan Trucking and they buried him somewhere in level green PA. That is what is reported in papers.

I have memories of him as a neighbor, someone who knew my dad and my dad said stay away from him he is no good. And my sister who worked for his ice cream store in Renzie being felt up by him all the time then she quit.

My dad said Joey made his bones being a hit man then got into dope later which was his demise. Its like a old version of Mckeesport good fellas. Mckeesport has a deep history but sadly is now nothing as it was at one time.
Ben Farnkly

Pittsburgh, PA

#105 Jan 24, 2013
Port-er wrote:
I have to laugh at people how think they know but dont. Joe Bertone was a mobster that was tied into ripping people off either business(his many businesses over the years)or cocaine deals with the mob in general. Yes his parents owned Prudy's Italian store on versailles avenue right by the old argon. They had great italian hoagies and sauce, lunch meat, His parents were hard working honest italian family. His sister and mother later ran the store after his father died.
My dad grew up with him in mckeesport up by versailles and union avenue. later in life my dad bought house in haler heights which was also where Joey ended up living. I knew his family, his two daughters and son Sal. I was younger than his kids but my older siblings were their ages and hung out. They were the family on the block with the built in kidney shaped pool and high end cars and toys.
Many stories are around about how he "disappeared" but Joey was tied in with the Jordan crew from mckeesport/duquense and Porter crew from penn hills via his mafia partner Joey Rosa. Another associate not mobster but associate of Joey Bertone was Jocko Healtherington who also was rubbed out by hit man over drugs as well. There were many other characters in mckeesport at this time that were same mobster good fells kind, Joe Gray, Trigger Joe, Geno, Jocko, and more...
What is record is Joey was wacked out over ripping off other mobsters on coke deals that eventually caught up with him. He was supposedly last seen at Sonny Jordans truck garage. Sonny Jordan died two years after Joey in an trucking accident in NY. Many rumors on how that happened to. Anyway
I still remember him driving through haler heights in his white caddy baritz which they later found in new kensington after he disappeared. News paper reports of later mob trials of Joey Rosa and Geno Chiarelli said Joey was shot at Jordan Trucking and they buried him somewhere in level green PA. That is what is reported in papers.
I have memories of him as a neighbor, someone who knew my dad and my dad said stay away from him he is no good. And my sister who worked for his ice cream store in Renzie being felt up by him all the time then she quit.
My dad said Joey made his bones being a hit man then got into dope later which was his demise. Its like a old version of Mckeesport good fellas. Mckeesport has a deep history but sadly is now nothing as it was at one time.
Nice job of setting the record straight.
He is back

Elizabeth, PA

#106 Feb 24, 2013
Rumor has it that Joey was spotted at the Orie sisters' trials.

“Change is the only constant”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#107 Apr 22, 2013
Port-er wrote:
LOTS of people from McKeesport knew the family AND grew up with Joey AND many of the others you mention and many people DO know exactly what happened despite your best recollection from the newspapers and what you were obviously told by someone since many of these folks were actually THERE in the trenches and associates with this crowd. The real "laugh" here is the implication that your recollection (as a youngster, no less) from the newspapers and second-hand stories from someone relating them to you somehow trumps what others -know.-

Jocko was hit because he was getting ready to testify and for doing so was offered immunity. Yes, the testimony involved drugs but Jocko was also prepared to bolt and the guts of this incident go way deeper than the coke. To say Jocko and Joey were "associates" implies they were in some kind of cahoots and/or doing "business" when they weren't. Everyone knew everyone back then, especially the crowd of which you speak, but that doesn't make them bedfellas. In fact, Jocko despised Joey and his original plan was to make his place under the bridge THE place for the crowd of which you speak. His shooting of Joe Grace was the catalyst which began tipping the scale in the opposite direction.
greenuys

Ashburn, VA

#108 Oct 4, 2013
Any connection to the disappearance/murder of that young nurse from McKeesport Hospital back in the 70s?
Vague History

Mckeesport, PA

#109 Oct 4, 2013
greenuys wrote:
Any connection to the disappearance/murder of that young nurse from McKeesport Hospital back in the 70s?
Need more info on this one. This is somewhat new to me.

I recall that an alleged prostitute was found dead under mysterious circumstances in a room at the Sheridan on Lyle.

Also, some women was found dead in her apartment in Glassport.

Both of these sort of had weak links to the Hospital and CEO at the time.
greenuys

Ashburn, VA

#110 Oct 5, 2013
Vague History wrote:
<quoted text>
Need more info on this one. This is somewhat new to me.
I recall that an alleged prostitute was found dead under mysterious circumstances in a room at the Sheridan on Lyle.
Also, some women was found dead in her apartment in Glassport.
Both of these sort of had weak links to the Hospital and CEO at the time.
No, not the woman found at the Sheridan, although I have heard various stories about her. This was a young nurse from Elizabeth Two who worked at McK Hospital. Her name was Elizabeth Berquist but they called her BJ for short. She went missing in Dec of 1977 and her skull was found the next spring by a,dog. Her body was never located. There was an article on the local news and in the paper recently. I think the video interview with her daughter is on U Tube.
Vague History

Mckeesport, PA

#111 Oct 5, 2013
greenuys wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not the woman found at the Sheridan, although I have heard various stories about her. This was a young nurse from Elizabeth Two who worked at McK Hospital. Her name was Elizabeth Berquist but they called her BJ for short. She went missing in Dec of 1977 and her skull was found the next spring by a,dog. Her body was never located. There was an article on the local news and in the paper recently. I think the video interview with her daughter is on U Tube.
I am so sorry to hear this episode. My belated deepest heart felt sympathy for her daughter and family.
Harry

West Mifflin, PA

#112 Oct 5, 2013
greenuys wrote:
<quoted text>
Jack B Goode

Boynton Beach, FL

#113 Oct 5, 2013
Interesting question as to a connection of the disappearance/murder of the nurse in the 70's, and Joey. Just recently I read something about her case, and I believe I read it here on Topix. In the 70's era I was a McKeesporter, and really close in tune to the shenanigans ongoing in that era with the likes of Joey and company.

Amazingly, until I read the article in Topix about the nurse, I can't recall ever hearing about the nurse's case.

However, I at the time doubt, I ever would have connected in my mind Joey and company to that crime.

Now thinking back, I would be interested to know if she worked at the McKeesport Hospital during the time Jocko was brought in DOA. I do not know the dates involving her death. If she died before he was brought in DOA, I would see no connection.

However if her death was shortly after, or sometime later, after Jocko's demise then I think, there may be some stones which need over turned.

My reason for thinking in this direction is as follows:

1. The night Jocko was brought into the hospital DOA, Joey had an hour so earlier come into the hospital emergency room asking how Jocko was doing. It was bizarre as Jocko was dead, alright, but no body but Joey it seems knew it at that time. However, Jocko was bleeding to death in the Quality Courts Parking lot on Route 30, N. Versailles, and had not yet been found when Joey made his bizarre appearance.

2. I know the Allegheny homicide detectives knew of a, or the nurse who reported Joey's bizarre earlier appearance.

3. Was the deceased nurse you question about the nurse who saw Joey in the emergency room earlier?

4. Was she perhaps one of the nurses in the emergency room?

5. If the dates hook up and she was on duty anywhere in the hospital the night in question then perhaps somebody wanted to get rid of a witness.

6. I also know when Jocko was brought in DOA the police wanted people to think Jocko arrived alive and was in the hospital, and spun that story hoping to catch a murderer, who may try to get him (Jocko) in the hospital.

7. If the dates hook up, I would not be hard pressed to buy into Joey and company knocking off a potential witness.

8. I know it was street knowledge a nurse was a witness to Joey's appearance in the hospital room. So of course Joey and company would know.

9. However if the nurse who witnessed the episode and reported it to the police is still around, I would still ponder was there more than one nurse? Moreover, the demise of the nurse in question certainly would rattle the nurse, and maybe she got amnesia.

10. Were the nurses somehow mixed up by the, a hit man?

I would add more, but need more specifics to help answer your question, or at least add more insight. Good luck with your inquiries.
Some Timelines

Mckeesport, PA

#114 Oct 5, 2013
In partial response to posting #113:

I searched for news on Jocko. The news paper article said he lived about a month and was shot in the face, both hands, and one leg.

This shooting happened about August 1982.

The nurse disappeared in December 1977.

Joey Bertone disappeared in 1984.

McKeesport Hospital CEO Bigge kickback conviction was about 1980/82.
greenuys

Ashburn, VA

#115 Oct 6, 2013
I had heard the nurse was scheduled to testify in Jan 1978 against a man named Jimmy Neal…

I had heard Jimmy Neal might have had something to do with the nurse's "disappearance"…

I had heard Jimmy Neal might have had a connection to Joey Bertone…

When I googled Joey Bertone, it lead me here.

I didn't mean to imply a connection to the nurse & Jocko's death.

Amazing where a journey of connect the dots leads…
Clark Kent

Pittsburgh, PA

#116 Oct 6, 2013
greenuys wrote:
I had heard the nurse was scheduled to testify in Jan 1978 against a man named Jimmy Neal…
I had heard Jimmy Neal might have had something to do with the nurse's "disappearance"…
I had heard Jimmy Neal might have had a connection to Joey Bertone…
When I googled Joey Bertone, it lead me here.
I didn't mean to imply a connection to the nurse & Jocko's death.
Amazing where a journey of connect the dots leads…
I don't want to lead you on a wild goose chase but I knew someone named Neal who was a hoodlum from Glassport. I don't know if his first name was Neal or if last name was Neal. He worked for Primo. Hung around a bar in Glassport called Midway Lounge in the late 60s. He sold fake watches and other merchandise for Primo. Hope this helps.
greenuys

West Mifflin, PA

#117 Oct 6, 2013
I'm not familiar with many of these names. Who is/was Primo?
Clark Kent

Pittsburgh, PA

#118 Oct 6, 2013
greenuys wrote:
I'm not familiar with many of these names. Who is/was Primo?
Primo was a local mobster from Glassport. His son is one of the 16 recently indicted in the McKeesport area for gambling violations.
Dot Connecter

Mckeesport, PA

#119 Oct 6, 2013
Clark Kent wrote:
<quoted text>
Primo was a local mobster from Glassport. His son is one of the 16 recently indicted in the McKeesport area for gambling violations.
The news media said that the elder Primo was connected to the Mafia.
Jimmy The Fallen Angel

Pittsburgh, PA

#120 Oct 6, 2013
Dot Connecter wrote:
<quoted text>
The news media said that the elder Primo was connected to the Mafia.
I was told Primo would send his prostitutes to the McKeesport lockup to give BJs to the McKeesport police as payback for favors.
City was already owned

Mckeesport, PA

#121 Oct 6, 2013
Jimmy The Fallen Angel wrote:
<quoted text>
I was told Primo would send his prostitutes to the McKeesport lockup to give BJs to the McKeesport police as payback for favors.
Interesting, I guess Primo found a way to own the police force like the Porkster.

I doubt if this is true.
Jimmy the Fallen Angel

Pittsburgh, PA

#122 Oct 6, 2013
City was already owned wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting, I guess Primo found a way to own the police force like the Porkster.
I doubt if this is true.
The mere suggestion that it's true speaks volumes of just how corrupt the Mon Valley really is. I for one believe it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKeesport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
South Allegheny School Kids Get Bullied (Oct '12) 2 hr Scared 50
Class Reunions? Are they worth going to? Sat Mark 8
Fawn Walker for State Represenative??? Will you... (Jun '15) Sat Themis 176
Clown Sep 23 Killary 4 Jail 3
Glassport Hoagies Sep 22 Killary 4 Jail 2
Serra looking to cover-up, again (Feb '16) Sep 21 Mike Ference 71
I love Mckeesport Sep 20 Candyman 18

McKeesport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance