Shadango

Cheswick, PA

#21 Jul 27, 2010
General

Pittsburgh, PA

#22 Jul 27, 2010
Shadango wrote:
http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.p hp?human_id=234143&cat=box er
Interesting.I'd have never known that. We really need to make better use of the Palisades. Boxing and MMA would be greatr ways to draw new people and young people to town. I remember a golden gloves tourney down there 10 or 15 years ago. It was packed! Balcony seating was awesome.
Shadango

Cheswick, PA

#23 Jul 27, 2010
I have never been there....It is still listed on the city 'site as an attraction so I guess its still a viable venue?

I have seen flyers for shows there...mostly stuff I am not familiar with though.....

Too bad we couldnt get some bigger names down there.....but parking sucks, and the area around it leaves a lot to be desired, really.....

Its near the Penn McKee, right?
General

Pittsburgh, PA

#24 Jul 27, 2010
Correct. Between the PM and the river. Actually I do give the Mayor credit for much improved parking. Especially along the river. It is actually a great city asset and very nice.

PAUL
Bring Joey Back

AOL

#25 Jul 30, 2010
Joey -- we may have a job for you on Council. Are you interested

Your neighbor down your street is not interested, the peopled voted him out.
Shadango

Mckeesport, PA

#26 Aug 1, 2010
General wrote:
Correct. Between the PM and the river. Actually I do give the Mayor credit for much improved parking. Especially along the river. It is actually a great city asset and very nice.
PAUL
I'll have to take a ride thru there ......its been a while since I meandered down that way....from what I recall, there was just a road that leads along the river with a few spots here and there....took the kids for awalk down there...but it has been a couple years maybe. We dont own a boat so no real reason to go down to the marina.....

Or do you mean the parking where Cox's was? I guess that is an improvement for sure...
COP1

Dayton, OH

#27 Sep 10, 2010
Does anyone remember when he dissapeared? Does anyone have a picture of him?
Jocko

Chicago, IL

#28 Sep 10, 2010
Yea i got a picture of him tattooed on my 0k
Fredo

Pittsburgh, PA

#29 Sep 10, 2010
Jocko wrote:
Yea i got a picture of him tattooed on my 0k
Do Jocko and Joey have the same address?
Jocko

Chicago, IL

#30 Sep 10, 2010
Fredo wrote:
<quoted text>
Do Jocko and Joey have the same address?
Yes it's 8.5 Inuranus Dr. Coalshoot, Pa
tell more

United States

#31 Nov 3, 2010
What else is known about joey

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#32 Nov 3, 2010
General wrote:
PAUL
Hi "General". How are you doing?
His NY Relative

Glenmoore, PA

#33 Jan 1, 2011
I agree pearl had the best meatballs around. I was real young when we used to travel down from NY to visit. The last time i was at the store was when i attended Edinboro University in 1990's. Most of the older Generations are gone and i think i am the last one from NY to see them. Does the family still own the store? I would love to contact them again. If you are related to them i am Mary and John's grandson from Geneva, NY. That should prove who i am.

“Truth Will Set Us Free”

Since: May 08

Mckeesport

#34 Jan 2, 2011
His NY Relative wrote:
I agree pearl had the best meatballs around. I was real young when we used to travel down from NY to visit. The last time i was at the store was when i attended Edinboro University in 1990's. Most of the older Generations are gone and i think i am the last one from NY to see them. Does the family still own the store? I would love to contact them again. If you are related to them i am Mary and John's grandson from Geneva, NY. That should prove who i am.
Unfortunately the store has been closed for years. I used to visit it frequently when a student at the Junior High which then went up to 9th grade. Two teachers, Mr. Isbir and Rich Gergely used to send me to the store to get them fish sandwiches on Fridays. I remember the store for its candy and Italian Olives the most. I went to high school with Joe's Son Sal who was a decent hooper. I lost track of him right after highschool in 1981. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Paul
gimme a break

Mckeesport, PA

#35 Jan 2, 2011
One of my favorite true stories about Joey is when he decided to wire tap his own home phone because he thought his wife was having an affair.

Remember, this was back in the day before you could easily buy wire-tap gadgets on-line.

So, Joey gets one of his buddies who worked at Bell Telephone to install equipment at the telephone pole outside his residence. Problem was that the equipment was installed improperly.

It captured the phone conversations, yes. But it also amplified those conversations so that anyone standing on the street could listen closely and hear them too.

Federal wire-tapping charges were filed against the Bell telephone guy. Not sure what charges Joey faced for that incident. I know that Rege either testified or was slated to testify at the trial (he was NOT the friend who wire-tapped) but I don't recall why he was made to do so.

Not making any innuendo, just stating facts.

BTW one of Joeys daughters, Lisa, works at the hospital. Her son was the young man who was killed in a freak accident at the old Lemon Tree restaurant a few years back. Hed been on the job for only a few days when he was hit by a fallen transformer in the parking lot. Tragic.
Mix Up

AOL

#36 Jan 2, 2011
gimme a break wrote:
One of my favorite true stories about Joey is when he decided to wire tap his own home phone because he thought his wife was having an affair.
Remember, this was back in the day before you could easily buy wire-tap gadgets on-line.
So, Joey gets one of his buddies who worked at Bell Telephone to install equipment at the telephone pole outside his residence. Problem was that the equipment was installed improperly.
It captured the phone conversations, yes. But it also amplified those conversations so that anyone standing on the street could listen closely and hear them too.
Federal wire-tapping charges were filed against the Bell telephone guy. Not sure what charges Joey faced for that incident. I know that Rege either testified or was slated to testify at the trial (he was NOT the friend who wire-tapped) but I don't recall why he was made to do so.
Not making any innuendo, just stating facts.
BTW one of Joeys daughters, Lisa, works at the hospital. Her son was the young man who was killed in a freak accident at the old Lemon Tree restaurant a few years back. Hed been on the job for only a few days when he was hit by a fallen transformer in the parking lot. Tragic.
This line tap story sounds too much like the Councilman Mike Neumean and a late /former school director having his line tapped in Christy Park. I think your story is a hoax or you were misinformed .

The Feds nailed Mike he spent some time in the federal slammer.

I never heard of the Joey line tap case and they sound too much alike. Could you have cross wired this one or are you jamming us?
a republican

Mckeesport, PA

#37 Jan 3, 2011
You are right Mix Up-it was Mike Newman, Joey Bertone lived on the other hill in Haler Heights. But wasn't there some scandal about Joe Bertones restaurant catching fire - the one that was in Renzie Park?

“Change is the only constant”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#38 Jan 3, 2011
If I recall there was an explosion at Joey's that contributed to the "fire" but that was a long time ago. The restaurant actually sat across from Renzie Park. I agree, the wiretap story seems like it applies to Mike. Mike's daughter is also named Lisa. I went to school with her.
Mix Up

AOL

#39 Jan 3, 2011
Joey's restaurant IMPLODED about 7:00 am. I happened to see the smoke cloud on the way to work.

Rumor has it that Joey instructed the cleaning women to take the day off. Also, an expensive piano and some stained glass windows were removed a few days before the implosion.

Rumor also has it that some friends of Joey had some money in the restaurant and they just had some additional insurance written on it.

One person was supposed to be in the trucking business that ultimately went bankrupt. A second person was involved in the some type of product distribution business.

Never did hear how the insurance companies settled this one. It seems like this one was keep under the radar with respect to an arson investigation or insurance fraud.
echoes of the past

Mckeesport, PA

#40 Jan 3, 2011
I know a few things yet that was long ago. i worked for one of his good-fellow's wife for about 4 years as a reservationist for their big restaurant on rt. 22, filed chapter 11, made it a big kid's pizza party place....at that time, i had a free pass to the lemon tree, and joey's place...just walk in, say my name and all was free. remember the RED ONION adjacent to the palisades? alot of pandering going on there also. remember also the name joey heatherington (sp), as i said, this was way back when..as a receptionist as i soon became for another one of the good ol guys...i never said a word of what i saw.....i was paid well, U.T......my innocence got me the job and kept it until...i got married and preggy...the rest, i read in the papers..whoa

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKeesport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What did I just listen too? 37 min No Tease Zone 7
Is Dave Passes? 40 min No Tease Zone 6
Kosko 43 min No Tease Zone 5
How can Ryan complain 10 hr Kortz PFA 16
democratic vs republician Tue Voted for Trump 26
News Ex-teacher charged with corrupting Schenley stu... (Feb '07) Oct 14 Harvey Weinstein 14
most haunted places in mckeesport (Oct '11) Oct 14 History Nut 12

McKeesport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

McKeesport Mortgages