D-Day almost here for politicians and...
Law is Irrelevnant

Mckeesport, PA

#300 May 19, 2013
We already know that in the Port and it started with JB when he was council president. I think that Mikey and the Deputy Mayor have take it to a new level and so far are untouchables. But, I think they got the attention of some law enforcement agencies who have dropped a few subpoenas.

MISSPEAKS

Obama Advisor:'The Law Is Irrelevant' On IRS Fiasco

Remark draws criticism from House conservative leader Steve Scalise
Next>
Share on email Share on google_plusone_share Share on reddit

1 hr ago by David Mark

Editor-in-Chief AP

Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.), chairman of the Republican Study Committee, took issue with White House senior advisor Dan Pfeiffer's characterization of the IRS scandal.• AP

A key White House senior adviser says the question of whether any laws were broken in the Internal Revenue scandal is "irrelevant". Rather, said Dan Pfeiffer on ABC's "This Week", the focus should be on the fact that the agency's actions were wrong and unjustifiable.

At issue is the recent revelation that the IRS singled out conservative groups seeking tax-exempt status for extra scrutiny. The Justice Department announced last week that it had opened up a criminal investigation to determine whether any laws were broken.

"I can't speak to the law here. The law is irrelevant,"
Pfeiffer said on ABC News's "This Week With George Stephanopoulos," The Washington Post reported. "The activity was outrageous and inexcusable, and it was stopped and it needs to be fixed to ensure it never happens again."

Stephanopoulos replied: "You don't really mean the law is irrelevant, do you?"

Pfeiffer responded: "What I mean is, whether it's legal or illegal is not important to the fact that the conduct doesn't matter. The Department of Justice has said that they're looking into the legality of this. The president is not going to wait for that. We have to make sure it does not happen again, regardless of how that turns out."

Congressional Republicans quickly slammed Pfeiffer's statement. Said Rep. Steve Scalise (La.), chairman of the conservative Republican Study Committee:

It is shocking but quite telling that the senior advisor to President Obama, Dan Pfeiffer, would say that 'the law is irrelevant' in relation to the IRS scandal. I strongly disagree with the Obama Administration's illegal targeting of their political enemies, and the law is absolutely relevant as we investigate this scandal to hold all of those accountable for their illegal and unethical actions. I am calling on President Obama to quickly denounce his senior advisor's outrageous statement about the law's irrelevance in this investigation.
CCD Baby

Kabul, Afghanistan

#302 May 20, 2013
Hey McK, bendover and receive your Machine connection. Crush, crumble, destroy, beyotches.
Spoils 4 Victors

Mckeesport, PA

#303 May 21, 2013
CCD Baby wrote:
Hey McK, bendover and receive your Machine connection. Crush, crumble, destroy, beyotches.
Ouch!
Confucius Contends

Mckeesport, PA

#304 May 21, 2013
I hope that the mayor and his machine relish their political dominance today. To the victors belong the spoils and more nepotism, jobs for friends, cover ups, and a substantial expansion of their political kingdom base. You and the hardworking MDC chair are to be commended for your astute political skills and we salute you. You optimized on your political leverage everywhere.

However, this super success may have been mitigated considerably by a few Palisades incidents and some other pesky but career changing events that unexpectedly surfaced recently.

Are these omens of some very disconcerting events to follow?
CCD Baby

Kabul, Afghanistan

#305 May 22, 2013
Brewstinator: Rise of the Machine, beyotches. Crush. Crumble. Destroy. So goes the way of the Machine.
Moral Majority

Dravosburg, PA

#306 May 22, 2013
CCD Baby wrote:
Brewstinator: Rise of the Machine, beyotches. Crush. Crumble. Destroy. So goes the way of the Machine.
Two of the three machine candidates for Council lost. So goes the way of the voters. Thus endeth the lesson.
More Popular that JC

Mckeesport, PA

#307 May 22, 2013
CCD Baby wrote:
The esteemed and egotistical and self appointed number one City citizen proclaimed that he was more popular than JC. Your political connections stop at the pearly gates.

Inmates Michael Veon and William DeWeese had identical disillusions and it got them some serious and well earned cage time.
Short Drive To Fifth Ave

Dravosburg, PA

#308 May 28, 2013
Dark Cloud 4 Some

Mckeesport, PA

#309 May 28, 2013
Short Drive To Fifth Ave wrote:
http://www.post-gazette.com/st ories/local/neighborhoods-city /investigation-into-pittsburgh -mayors-office-keeps-evolving- 689359/
I assume that you mean 500 Fifth Avenue located in the Port?

I agree that 500 Fifth Avenue is ripe for an investigation. But I doubt it will ever happen. Our Port politicians are slick enough to keep it way under the Feds radar so far. And, they all have upmost RESPECT for the law and are good at cover ups like the MPD overtime scandal.

On the other hand, the PA AG/Grand Jury has a very clear signal on their Port radar with many the subpoenas, interviews, raids, and letter advising of phone taps widely rumored. It appears that something big might be looming in the not to distance future. Only the AG/Grand Jury knows if and when indictments are forthcoming.
D Day Arrived

Mckeesport, PA

#310 May 31, 2013
Has D day arrived with the receipt a phone tapping letter advisement by at least one city employee?

If true then many of the back room deals are now known by the authorities. I wonder if the law officials captured politicking on city time with phones paid for by the city?
No Crisis Situation

Mckeesport, PA

#311 Jun 2, 2013
D Day Arrived wrote:
Has D day arrived with the receipt a phone tapping letter advisement by at least one city employee?
If true then many of the back room deals are now known by the authorities. I wonder if the law officials captured politicking on city time with phones paid for by the city?
D-Day Arrival will be characterized by numerous legal process events such as interviews, subpoenas, phone tapping notifications, target letters, early-bird plea bargaining, selective immunities, convictions, and then the penalty phase including incarceration.

When and if the indictments explode, there is nothing to go on except pure conjecture and unfounded street rumors.

At this time City Hall and the slot consortium are cavalier and fine and it is business as usual. There is no need for anyone to be concerned at this time. The post council meeting wrap-ups will continue at the Viking with the council majority enjoying the fruits of power and victories.

mandy meatflaps

West Mifflin, PA

#312 Jun 2, 2013
I got off of welfare and am doing great giving out hand jobs behind the firehall 3 days a week mon,weds,fri 7-10PM bring a friend .. makes a great birthday present or a graduation gift!
spread the word
thank you! have a nice day
Plunk 4 Fawn

Mckeesport, PA

#313 Jun 2, 2013
Moral Majority wrote:
<quoted text>
Two of the three machine candidates for Council lost. So goes the way of the voters. Thus endeth the lesson.
I heard the final victory count for Ms. Fawn Walker Montgomery was worked down to 3 votes.

My family and I congratulate Fawn for beating the senator and his cohorts.

We were only two of the three votes difference and we plunked for Fawn like the senator plunked for his daughter. Thanks for the lesson senator. You threw Mr. Barry under the bus by promoting this plunking fad. I like it because it worked for fawn.

The machine with all their power, wealth, and nepotism and connections won only one of three council seats. Wow and the senator worked hard! The voters have figured out the machine's hand.
Minnie Pearl

West Mifflin, PA

#314 Jun 2, 2013
I got off of welfare and am doing great giving out hand jobs behind the firehall 3 days a week mon,weds,fri 7-10PM bring a friend .. makes a great birthday present or a graduation gift!
spread the word
thank you! have a nice day !!!!!!!!!!
Justice

Dravosburg, PA

#315 Jun 2, 2013
Plunk 4 Fawn wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard the final victory count for Ms. Fawn Walker Montgomery was worked down to 3 votes.
My family and I congratulate Fawn for beating the senator and his cohorts.
We were only two of the three votes difference and we plunked for Fawn like the senator plunked for his daughter. Thanks for the lesson senator. You threw Mr. Barry under the bus by promoting this plunking fad. I like it because it worked for fawn.
The machine with all their power, wealth, and nepotism and connections won only one of three council seats. Wow and the senator worked hard! The voters have figured out the machine's hand.
She worked hard to get re-elected. She deserves the victory.
Fraud

Elizabeth, PA

#316 Jun 2, 2013
Justice wrote:
<quoted text>
She worked hard to get re-elected. She deserves the victory.
She is a joke. Supported Cherepko for mayor and voted with the MDC bobbleheads every step of the way right up until she got snubbed for VP of council.
We Supported Fawn

Mckeesport, PA

#317 Jun 2, 2013
Fraud wrote:
<quoted text>
She is a joke. Supported Cherepko for mayor and voted with the MDC bobbleheads every step of the way right up until she got snubbed for VP of council.
But MC and JB never controlled her and for that reason she got our family's votes which were more than three. JB and MC even threatened her that the machine would not endorse her.

That just motivated her to work harder and she prevailed. Councilpersons RD and DM benefited from nepotism and JB owns them.
An Omen in Progress May B

Mckeesport, PA

#318 Jun 3, 2013
So Long, Lukey

PittGirl finds that saying goodbye to her virtual arch nemesis, Luke Ravenstahl, is bittersweet.
BY VIRGINIA MONTANEZ

In the summer of 2012, Luke Ravenstahl gave me a big hug. But hold on. I’ve gotten ahead of myself. Let me back up.

Truth be told, I’ve given Luke Ravenstahl a lot of crap over the years, both in my writing and via the virtual flaming bags of poop I leave on the doorsteps of those I dub Annoying ’Burghers.

I’ve criticized his decision to spend $250,000 on 1,000 trash cans that bear his name. I’ve taken him to task for his handling of Snowmaggedon. His treatment of the media. His grossly oversized entourage. His ability to hire press secretaries who call him the “Britney Spears of Pittsburgh,” like it’s a good thing.

I’ve scolded him for being so celebrity-crazy. For stalking Tiger Woods. For attending a Toby Keith concert in a city SUV. For handing out proclamations in an attempt to meet visiting celebrities like Sienna Miller and Kenny Chesney. For his penchant for not showing up — not to the office and not to meetings.

I’ve ridiculed his formerly lame attempts at social media.(#happythanksgiving)

I’ve ridiculed his overuse of “myself and other individuals.” Or “myself and other individuals including myself and those individuals along with myself.”

I freaked out on him when he rode in the Super Bowl parade at Ben Roethlisberger’s side, holding a video camera, looking like a giddy school child who got to meet The Wiggles.

Yes. I’ve had a long, albeit virtual relationship with Hizzoner. But amongst the public criticism lives the dichotomy of my feelings about him.

Just before I was fired upon revealing my identity back in 2010, he was quick to release a light-hearted statement to the press, saying that he could take a joke and that he wanted to “move forward,” a deliberate play on the Luke Ravenstahl Move Forward Drinking Game.

Then, last summer, I was spending the day at Kennywood with my family. All of us. A few of my sisters, our children, my parents. I was in Kiddyland when I saw Mayor Ravenstahl there with his son. I was wearing a Pirates hat and a side braid. He was in his dad clothes. T-shirt. Shorts. I said hello. A passing beat while he placed my face. And then enlightenment.“Hi!” he enthused.

Then Luke Ravenstahl reached out and hugged me.

As the scandal that started with Nate Harper inched closer and closer to the mayor’s inner circle, with a former bodyguard ready to take a lie detector test to prove the mayor was in on it all — using the unauthorized fund to cover up his late night partying … I became the old PittGirl. That is to say [KEYBOARD SMASH!]

So the media camped out and waited. And waited. The mayor’s office went silent. E-mails went unanswered. Phone calls went to straight voicemail.

Today, Mayor Luke Ravenstahl, said that the stress of the job was too much. The price of being mayor was too high. He would not be running for reelection.

Yes, he spent a bit of time telling us how awesome he was as mayor and all the things he accomplished, but he didn’t use his mother’s illness as a cop-out, as I suspected he might. He said she’s strong. She’s great. She’s a fighter.

He didn’t scold the media, as I suspected he would. He started the presser almost on time and at no point did he huff and puff and pout that they were being way harsh, Tai.

It’s okay to criticize him; it’s okay to find some good in him. It’s okay to despise the poor choices he’s made over the years. It’s okay to want to have a beer with him despite all that. It’s okay to say he was bad for the city, while doing some good for the city.

This story isn’t over. More will be revealed regarding the FBI investigation. It remains to be seen if any of what hits the fan will land on Luke Ravenstahl, and whether the ramped up investigation had any bearing on his decision to leave the mayor’s office.

The mayor isn’t writing our story; we are.
Luke the Fluke

Mckeesport, PA

#319 Jun 4, 2013
If those federal agents would just go away all would be well with the Burg. Go to the mob valley where there is real corruption.

Will any more indictments be issued for the Luke and Nate show?

Will most concede that a boy mayor is not equipped or mature enough to hand a multimillion enterprise?
Luke the Fluke

Mckeesport, PA

#320 Jun 6, 2013
Luke the Fluke wrote:
If those federal agents would just go away all would be well with the Burg. Go to the mob valley where there is real corruption.
Will any more indictments be issued for the Luke and Nate show?
Will most concede that a boy mayor is not equipped or mature enough to hand a multimillion enterprise?
I think Luke could be in the cross hairs for an indictment very soon.

But I think he should be charged only with inexperience and immaturity and arrogance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKeesport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Borough Backhoe 2 hr dumdumdum 3
Told you about Angelos dirty pizza 2 hr dumdumdum 2
Hags place 4 hr Seeking 45
New low housing projects starting in glassport 4 hr Seeking 3
International Village Toe Sliced Roast Beef 5 hr No Dui 8
Coulterville Cemetery in McKeesport (Oct '10) 6 hr gdaughter weaver 35
Another Shooting Jul 24 Hillary Justice 16

McKeesport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance