or memories of the Eastland Mall, please
feel to include them in this blog and
a picture or two of the demolition would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks
eddie

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Apr 8, 2007
Hello, and Happy Easter to you.

Eastland is gone. The last part of the standing structure was knocked down probably about one month. It is just rubble left along the ground where it once stood, that is being taken away daily. I don't have any pictures to show unfortunately. I ride past every day on my way home from work to my home in McKeesport. I have heard from several people that UPMC is interested in the site. One person told me from a reliable source that they heard UPMC wants to build a trauma center on the site, which would pretty much be a centralized site for the Pittsburgh region. Someone else told me UPMC wants to build offices. I don't really know what to think or believe to be true, but, it seems to be definitely something with UPMC however. I have fond memories of going there, walking around the mall and thinking it was really something. Then the bigger malls came along, and I stay away. It is sad to see something go away that was a fixture in the community for a while. Sad
Rod Pastor wrote:
Sorry to see the demolition to the
Eastland Shopping Center in North
Versailes Township. I lived on a hill
above the shopping center and my mother
and father worked there. It seems like
progress has a price and the only
payment we have are memories of good
times at the mall. I presently live in
Dallas, Texas and the last time I visited
Pennsylvania (2 years ago), It was
rumored that UPMCC had bought the
Eastland shopping center? My sister
said that the bulldozer were slowly
taking down a part of my past and history. If anyone has any comments
nancy

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Apr 8, 2007
I remember the when eastland was being built. A relative lived across the road. I worked at Penny's when i was seventeen. i'm now 52. It was a great mall. the Record Mart, Immel's, Woolworth's, Gimbel's (my mom worked in the candy department at Gimbel's.) I also have no pictures to share but if you go to the site-- Heritage Center, McKeesport then go to history half way done page. a rectangle box with arrow will give you pictures of eastland then and now.
Tracy

Natrona Heights, PA

#4 Apr 26, 2007
Does anyone remember if there was ever a giant sliding board at Eastland??
eddie

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Apr 28, 2007
I was there many times, and never saw a giant sliding board (or any sliding board)
Tracy wrote:
Casha DaMoney

Haines City, FL

#6 Apr 29, 2007
Bury Eastland with the rest of the business dinosaurs. It's been a zombie zone for years. Time for wiping the slate clean for new economic opportunity! No weeping please. This is a capitalistic country.
nancy

Pittsburgh, PA

#7 May 4, 2007
Tracy wrote:
I don't remember a sliding board at Eastland. Are you sure it was Eastland?
eddie

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 May 7, 2007
Now Eastland is a hole in the ground..... just like the city of Pittsburgh. Time to move out of the past
nancy wrote:
<quoted text> I don't remember a sliding board at Eastland. Are you sure it was Eastland?
Jason

United States

#9 May 8, 2007
I grew up on Lynda Lane overlooking Eastland. My grandfather used to take me down to Gabes barbershop. We used to go to the 2 dollar movies at the theater right before it closed. My mother just sent me pictures of the demo. She says it's so weird to look out the window and see Duquesne across the river. When I was a kid and Gimbels was closing the woman working at the jewlery counter gave me free jewlery to give to my mom for Mothers Day. I guess it just didn' matter any more. After the mall closed and the Superflea took over Eastland became the place to go for baseball cards. I absolutely loved it as a teenager! I don't know how I will feel the next time I go home and it's not there. So many memories for me and my entire family. We are very glad that UPMC took over the site. We were afraid they might put a prison there. North Versailles needs more than Walmarts and movie theaters. Hopefully this development is part of the answer.
Stephanie

Portsmouth, VA

#10 May 8, 2007
Tracy wrote:
I remember sitting on what seem to be a potatoe sack and going down the teo hump sliding board. I believe more than two people could ride at a time.
Stephanie

Portsmouth, VA

#11 May 8, 2007
The slide was on the side of the hill, facing J.C. Penny's.
stu

AOL

#12 May 11, 2007
Tracy wrote:

Yes there was a giant sliding board,I believe it was there for some type of promotion. My friend worked at a supermarket there went down the slide and ripped his trousers.
Eugene Kline

Minneapolis, MN

#13 May 27, 2007
Does anyone remember a cloudburst in 1936 where the creek on Fifth Avenue (where the entrance to the Duquesne Bridge now stands)flooded and rose 10 feet undating the whole area?
mizzi

Pittsburgh, PA

#14 Jun 12, 2007
awwww! i had many good memories of eastland mall as a youngin. the movie theater near the rear of the plaza, flea markets, gimball's, wow! it will be missed hopefully replace by another great venture.

Since: Jun 07

Pittsburgh, PA

#15 Jun 19, 2007
When I went to Eastland for the flea markets, it seemed like it was a nice place at one time. It's a shame it had to sit like that for so long, but I'm glad that the site is progressing. I don't care what ends up there, as long as it's not a wal-mart (i.e. build a new one there and make the old one into a sam's club like they did in West Mifflin).

Last I heard for the site by (un)reliable sources was that UPMC was putting a Trauma Center there, and that they'll be able to land a helicopter on the roof. McKeesport and Braddock don't have helicopter access, unless the chopper lands somewhere and the patient goes via an ambulance.

Does anyone know if Jefferson has a trauma center?
snoopydaugherty

Pittsburgh, PA

#16 Jun 20, 2007
Tracy wrote:
I remember a gant sliding board at the Peasant Village shopping center in Rostraver Township, probably in the early seventies.
Steely Man

United States

#17 Jun 23, 2007
Rod Pastor wrote:
Sorry to see the demolition to the
Eastland Shopping Center in North
Versailes Township. I lived on a hill
above the shopping center and my mother
and father worked there. It seems like
progress has a price and the only
payment we have are memories of good
times at the mall. I presently live in
Dallas, Texas and the last time I visited
Pennsylvania (2 years ago), It was
rumored that UPMCC had bought the
Eastland shopping center? My sister
said that the bulldozer were slowly
taking down a part of my past and history. If anyone has any comments
Here is a site that does a great job of commenting on McKeesport area events. This particular posting covered the demolition of Eastland, with photos:
http://mckeesport.dementia.org/blog/000805.ht...
Michael Carver

Coral Gables, FL

#18 Jul 5, 2007
I remember taking the bus with my Mom to Eastland when it was a mall. That was a real treat when we were home for snow days.

Now it is gone, a piece of history removed from the ground but not our fond memories.
sped62

Lakeland, FL

#19 Aug 2, 2007
Tracy wrote:
Just read your post. There was a big slide there for one summer. It was halfway between Penney Tire Center and the Theatre.
Kathy

New Kensington, PA

#20 Aug 12, 2007
I have great memories of Eastland Mall. I was a teenager in the late 60' and we used to catch a bus from McKeesport to Eastland. I worked at McSorley's Restaurant. Pretty nice place at the time!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKeesport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Martell Makes Family Proud 36 min Silence Breaker 9
Must b nice to tattoo for drinking money and li... 6 hr busted 6
Dave Marshall proposes to Amy Bennet 14 hr Silence Breaker 2
I love Mckeesport (Aug '16) 14 hr Silence Breaker 37
Dave Marshall Hates Weather Delays Thu Slippy Roads 1
Democrat Austin Davis vs. Republican Fawn Walke... Dec 11 UnDoc Risha 4
News Pennsylvania Republican aims to disrupt state D... Dec 11 robot 1

McKeesport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance