McKeesport solicitor Elash charged wi...

McKeesport solicitor Elash charged with DUI after crash

Posted in the McKeesport Forum

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
SWE BV

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Apr 26, 2012
Constituents with tax payers more than likely pay for the parties.
SWE BV

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Apr 26, 2012
McKeesport solicitor Elash charged with DUI after crash

Tuesday, February 14, 2012
By Moriah Balingit, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The McKeesport solicitor who was badly hurt in a car crash following the mayor's inaugural ball declined comment today after being charged Friday with driving under the influence in connection with the accident.

John Jason Elash, 40, also faces summary offenses of speeding and driving without financial responsibility in connection with the crash, which occurred Jan. 22.

A blood test showed Mr. Elash had a blood alcohol content of .196, more than twice the legal limit, at the time of the crash, according to a criminal complaint.

He said today that he had not received any notification of the charges and had no comment.

Chief Bryan Washowich said Mr. Elash, seen the night before at an inaugural ball for Mayor Mike Cherepko, was headed south on Route 48 in his 2004 Cadillac Escalade at around 1:30 a.m. when he "failed to negotiate the bend" in the 700 block.

He veered off the street, crashing into a building about 100 feet off of the roadway. A passerby called 911 after watching Mr. Elash drive into the building and told dispatchers that Mr. Elash was bleeding from the head. He was flown to UPMC Mercy.

He remained in the hospital until at least Jan. 23, according to an online docket entry that indicated he had to reschedule a court date for a private client in a federal suit.

Mr. Elash will be charged by mail summons.

First published on February 14, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12045/1210131-...

56688
Juris Prevention

Mckeesport, PA

#4 Apr 26, 2012
SWE BV wrote:
McKeesport solicitor Elash charged with DUI after crash
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
By Moriah Balingit, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The McKeesport solicitor who was badly hurt in a car crash following the mayor's inaugural ball declined comment today after being charged Friday with driving under the influence in connection with the accident.
Mr. Elash will be charged by mail summons.
I do not think the Commonwealth has anything on the solicitor driving skills. They cannot prove anything and he should not be punished for hitting an icy spot.

Some way they will try to declare the BAC results as inadmissible evidence. May be he did not give them permission to draw blood or the sample was not his?
SWE BV

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Apr 27, 2012
Not all accidents thoroughly investigated by police
On behalf of Caroselli Beachler McTiernan & Conboy, L.L.C. posted in Car Accidents on Monday, February 6, 2012
http://www.pennpersonalinjuryattorneys.com/20...
The original investigation by police of a Pennsylvania car accident involving a solicitor representing a local city council is being scrutinized. The reason for the scrutiny is because the police may not actually have thoroughly investigated whether impairment was a factor in the cause of the crash.
The city's chief-of-police has reported that the solicitor had just attended a celebration in honor of the city's mayor. The solicitor was then driving home at 1:30 in the morning when he failed to negotiate a turn and crashed into a building that was about 100 feet away from the road. The driver was bleeding from the head and was flown to a nearby hospital where he remained for at least another day.
The police chief stated that patches of ice on the road may have been a factor in this accident. He also claimed that investigation of this matter was still in progress.
What the police chief failed to say was whether any sobriety tests, toxicology screens or blood tests were conducted. If there was no administration of such tests, it's difficult to believe that any charges that the driver was impaired at the time of the accident could survive short of the solicitor admitting on the stand that he was under the influence of some substance when the accident occurred.
Fortunately, no other individual was injured in this accident. However, this circumstance does demonstrate that local authorities cannot always be depended upon in order to make a determination as to how an accident actually occurred. What if another individual is injured and no determinations are made by investigating officers as to whether the other driver was actually at fault for the accident? Sometimes only individual representation from an attorney or law firm can provide the additional resources needed so that an investigation of how the accident occurred was thoroughly conducted.
Finding someone criminally liable is one matter. Determining the cause of an accident is another.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, "McKeesport officials to discuss solicitor crash investigation," by Moriah Balingit, Jan. 31, 2012
Tags: car accident, drunken driving accidents, police investigations
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12031/1207207-...

Subject
The Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
Snack

Uniontown, PA

#7 Apr 28, 2012
DUI Public Transparency - McKeesport

DUI Attorney McKeesport PA
http://tinyurl.com/JJE15132

http://tinyurl.com/JJEMcKeesportPA

Mnoal
Snack

Uniontown, PA

#8 Apr 28, 2012
I weigh

DUI Public Transparency - McKeesport

DUI Attorney McKeesport PA
http://tinyurl.com/JJE15132

http://tinyurl.com/JJEMcKeesportPA

McKeesport Solicitor Listed
http://tinyurl.com/John15132

Public Transparency #1 Priority

Report:
http://tinyurl.com/ComplaintE-Forms

McKeesport solicitor Elash charged with DUI after crash
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
By Moriah Balingit, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12045/1210131-...

The McKeesport solicitor who was badly hurt in a car crash following the mayor's inaugural ball declined comment today after being charged Friday with driving under the influence in connection with the accident.

John Jason Elash, 40, also faces summary offenses of speeding and driving without financial responsibility in connection with the crash, which occurred Jan. 22.

A blood test showed Mr. Elash had a blood alcohol content of .196, more than twice the legal limit, at the time of the crash, according to a criminal complaint.

887766
Ward Cleaver

West Mifflin, PA

#9 Apr 28, 2012
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!
LmFAO!!!!!!!!!!
June Cleaver

West Mifflin, PA

#10 Apr 28, 2012
Ward, you were a little ruff on the beaver last night !!!!!!!!!!
Snack

Uniontown, PA

#11 Apr 28, 2012
Snack wrote:
I weigh
DUI Public Transparency - McKeesport
DUI Attorney McKeesport PA
http://tinyurl.com/JJE15132
http://tinyurl.com/JJEMcKeesportPA
McKeesport Solicitor Listed
http://tinyurl.com/John15132
Public Transparency #1 Priority
Report:
http://tinyurl.com/ComplaintE-Forms
McKeesport solicitor Elash charged with DUI after crash
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
By Moriah Balingit, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12045/1210131-...
The McKeesport solicitor who was badly hurt in a car crash following the mayor's inaugural ball declined comment today after being charged Friday with driving under the influence in connection with the accident.
John Jason Elash, 40, also faces summary offenses of speeding and driving without financial responsibility in connection with the crash, which occurred Jan. 22.
A blood test showed Mr. Elash had a blood alcohol content of .196, more than twice the legal limit, at the time of the crash, according to a criminal complaint.
887766
** Pennsylvania has a series of penalty tiers, depending on the driver’s BAC. The tiers are .08,.10 to .159%, and .16 or higher

1st offense
BAC .08 -.099: No minimum jail time required
BAC .10 -.159: 2 days jail
BAC .16 and higher: 3 days jail

2nd offense
BAC .08 -.099: 5 days jail
BAC .10 -.159: 30 days jail
BAC .16 and higher: 90 days jail

3rd offense
BAC .08 -.099: 10 days jail
BAC .10 -.159: 90 days jail
BAC .16 and higher: 1 year jail

Can you plead to a lesser offense than DUI in Pennsylvania?
No, a plea bargain for a conviction of "wet reckless" (reckless driving involving alcohol) is barred by statute in Pennsylvania.

What is an SSR-22? An SR-22 is a form filed by your insurance company demonstrating that you meet certain insurance requirements. 
Only an insurance company can furnish the SR-22. Often the SR-22 need only meet your state’s minium liability standards. In some cases, however, certain individuals may be subject to insurance coverage requirements that have higher limits and different coverage.
---
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/legislation/dui.sh...

Highest BAC penalties (.16% and higher) or Controlled Substance

No prior DUI offenses

ungraded misdemeanor
12 month license suspension
72 hours to 6 months prison
$1,000 to $5,000 fine
alcohol highway safety school
treatment when ordered
---
First offense DUI in Pennsylvania with BAC range above .16 carry penalties of minimum of three (3) days incarceration with maximums set at six (6) months. Fines range from minimum of $1,000 to maximum of $5,000
Snack

Uniontown, PA

#12 Apr 28, 2012
Snack wrote:
<quoted text>
** Pennsylvania has a series of penalty tiers, depending on the driver’s BAC. The tiers are .08,.10 to .159%, and .16 or higher
1st offense
BAC .08 -.099: No minimum jail time required
BAC .10 -.159: 2 days jail
BAC .16 and higher: 3 days jail
2nd offense
BAC .08 -.099: 5 days jail
BAC .10 -.159: 30 days jail
BAC .16 and higher: 90 days jail
3rd offense
BAC .08 -.099: 10 days jail
BAC .10 -.159: 90 days jail
BAC .16 and higher: 1 year jail
Can you plead to a lesser offense than DUI in Pennsylvania?
No, a plea bargain for a conviction of "wet reckless" (reckless driving involving alcohol) is barred by statute in Pennsylvania.
What is an SSR-22? An SR-22 is a form filed by your insurance company demonstrating that you meet certain insurance requirements. 
Only an insurance company can furnish the SR-22. Often the SR-22 need only meet your state’s minium liability standards. In some cases, however, certain individuals may be subject to insurance coverage requirements that have higher limits and different coverage.
---
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/legislation/dui.sh...
Highest BAC penalties (.16% and higher) or Controlled Substance
No prior DUI offenses
ungraded misdemeanor
12 month license suspension
72 hours to 6 months prison
$1,000 to $5,000 fine
alcohol highway safety school
treatment when ordered
---
First offense DUI in Pennsylvania with BAC range above .16 carry penalties of minimum of three (3) days incarceration with maximums set at six (6) months. Fines range from minimum of $1,000 to maximum of $5,000
Litb
They Way It Is

Mckeesport, PA

#13 Apr 29, 2012
My predicition is that all charges will be dropped for inconclusive evidence.

The 0.196 was smugged on the BAC analysis report.

The plummer will fix all other charges.

We welcome the barrister back.
The Way It Is

Mckeesport, PA

#14 Apr 29, 2012
All will be normal and well after the May council meeting. The results of his hearing mean nothing to the four council persons.

After the meeting they (Cherepko, Gergely,Soles, Dellapenna, Carr, and McCall) will meet and celebrate their victory at Carr's Viking watering hole.

Business will be as ususal until the next trip up. It is not if, but when?
Word On Street

Mckeesport, PA

#15 Apr 29, 2012
The Way It Is wrote:
All will be normal and well after the May council meeting. The results of his hearing mean nothing to the four council persons.
After the meeting they (Cherepko, Gergely,Soles, Dellapenna, Carr, and McCall) will meet and celebrate their victory at Carr's Viking watering hole.
Business will be as ususal until the next trip up. It is not if, but when?
I hear that even Segina is ready to cave in an reinstate the Solicitor with some stipulations in his contract. You would think if he is held over for court, his career as city solicitor would be over.
The Way It Is

Mckeesport, PA

#16 Apr 29, 2012
Word On Street wrote:
<quoted text>I hear that even Segina is ready to cave in an reinstate the Solicitor with some stipulations in his contract. You would think if he is held over for court, his career as city solicitor would be over.
The word you hear on the street could be true. But I would like to recast it. Segina will not cave in. He knows, thanks to the truncoat “twister” KS that the machine has four votes.

So Segina will try to the best to get some conditions in the contract to protect the city and make the solicitor walk a tight rope and meet his city financial obligations. This is an excellent strategy in a hopeless situation thanks to the “twister.” I do not think that Segina can pull it off again thanks to the turncoat “twister.” The mayor, solicitor, and “twister” win this one.

Furthermore, the bully mayor will run right over Segina, Montgomery, and Tedesco and say no vote is necessary because the bully mayor already hired his disgraced DUI friend and council cannot do anything about it even with seven votes.

I agree with you that DUI disgraced solicitor being held over for court should make for a very dicey appointment situation. Council should suspend him with his $1500 retainer pay pending the disposition of this matter. Again, I doubt Segina can get four votes for this suspension thanks to the turncoat “twister” who the mayor owns.

I think eventually the “twister” will regret his decision to cave and will have a surplus of egg on his face. Only time will tell. The solicitor has a propensity to run awry of the rules at times.
Nice

New Castle, PA

#17 May 1, 2012
The Way It Is wrote:
<quoted text>
The word you hear on the street could be true. But I would like to recast it. Segina will not cave in. He knows, thanks to the truncoat “twister” KS that the machine has four votes.
So Segina will try to the best to get some conditions in the contract to protect the city and make the solicitor walk a tight rope and meet his city financial obligations. This is an excellent strategy in a hopeless situation thanks to the “twister.” I do not think that Segina can pull it off again thanks to the turncoat “twister.” The mayor, solicitor, and “twister” win this one.
Furthermore, the bully mayor will run right over Segina, Montgomery, and Tedesco and say no vote is necessary because the bully mayor already hired his disgraced DUI friend and council cannot do anything about it even with seven votes.
I agree with you that DUI disgraced solicitor being held over for court should make for a very dicey appointment situation. Council should suspend him with his $1500 retainer pay pending the disposition of this matter. Again, I doubt Segina can get four votes for this suspension thanks to the turncoat “twister” who the mayor owns.
I think eventually the “twister” will regret his decision to cave and will have a surplus of egg on his face. Only time will tell. The solicitor has a propensity to run awry of the rules at times.
Very smart.
Fact Man

Naperville, IL

#18 May 1, 2012
Who's wife lost their job at a pharmacy because they were drinking codeine cough medicine? Heard it was an elected official? Supposedly they got caught because they filled the bottle with water? Is this true? And who?
Sheriff Shameless

Mckeesport, PA

#19 May 1, 2012
Fact Man wrote:
Who's wife lost their job at a pharmacy because they were drinking codeine cough medicine? Heard it was an elected official? Supposedly they got caught because they filled the bottle with water? Is this true? And who?
Any clues? City, MASD, County, State, Federal?
Rumour has it

United States

#20 May 2, 2012
Fact Man wrote:
Who's wife lost their job at a pharmacy because they were drinking codeine cough medicine? Heard it was an elected official? Supposedly they got caught because they filled the bottle with water? Is this true? And who?
Shouldn't you be at the beauty shop with the other ladies gossiping?
answer girl

Pittsburgh, PA

#21 May 2, 2012
She is the wife of a city elected official, don't know how true but she worked at UPMC McKeesport pharmacy.
Coroner Out of Character

Mckeesport, PA

#23 May 4, 2012
Indiana Coroner Showed Up At Crime Scene Drunk, Police Say

By David Schepp, Posted May 4th 2012 @ 12:40PM

When Tamara Vangundy showed up at a crime scene early Thursday morning in suburban Indianapolis, she was stumbling and swaying and reeked of alcohol, police say.

The coroner for Hancock County, Ind., suspected of being drunk, was asked to take a sobriety test, which she failed. Police then took her to the county jail, where a breathalyzer test revealed that she had a blood-alcohol content of .16 -- twice the state's legal limit, Indianapolis TV station WISH reports.

Vangundy, who posted bond Thursday and was due in court Friday, faces charges of operating a vehicle while intoxicated and official misconduct, according to court documents.

"It was just a poor decision," WSBT-TV in Mishawaka quotes Vangundy as saying, as she was being booked into the jail.
According to police, Vangundy, 49, admitted to consuming 18 ounces of wine -- about three-quarters of a typical bottle of wine -- but stopped at 8:30 p.m the previous evening. She drove to the scene of the apparent suicide in her own vehicle, because she said that she thought she might be too intoxicated to drive the county-owned van, according to reports.

"[Vangundy] didn't even need to be there," The Indianapolis Star reports Hancock County Sheriff Mike Shepherd as saying. A deputy coroner arrived before she did and had already performed necessary duties at the death investigation.

"She should have just stayed home," Shepherd said. "If you've even had that first drink, don't take that chance."
According to statistics from the National Institutes of Health, gathered in 2006, about 15 percent of Americans -- or nearly 20 million people -- are affected in some way by alcohol while on the job. The data showed that nearly 2 percent of workers drank before work, while 1.7 percent were under the influence of alcohol.

Seven percent consumed alcohol during the workday, and nearly 10 percent worked with a hangover.

Data from the Occupational Safety & Health Administration indicate that as many as 20 percent of workers who die on the job test positive for alcohol or other drugs.

The agency notes that industries with the highest rates of drug use are the same as those at a high risk for occupational injuries, such as construction, mining, manufacturing and wholesale.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKeesport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Rossi's Pop Up Market (Oct '08) 3 hr Flapjack 42
Another Shooting 17 hr Candy Man 51
Several Pittsburgh area school districts downgr... 17 hr Candy Man 9
City Council Member against violence is violent... Sun What City Statistics 26
Tax Dollars / Public Safety Questioned Sun Themis 11
Was Cherepko, running for Mayor, part of Cornel... (May '11) Jul 31 Slugster 158
City Council Jul 31 Not Fair and Bala... 26
More from around the web

Personal Finance

McKeesport Mortgages