New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2010

Judged:

It is in Coulters. Take the one road in, sharp right at end, go straight to coldesac and it is on left. If you dare....

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2010

Judged:

There are actually 3 cemeteries in South Versailles (aka: Coulter,Alpsville) The whole 13 bends/orphanage is exactly where Historian says it is. The spookiest cemetery, in my opinion, is located on the right hand side before you get to the greenhouse as your driving down the hill. If you do not get weird out by the ghostly tales of Coulter, you will if you meet any of its residents. They don't really care much for visitors.
Ghost of Coulter Past

Leechburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2010

Judged:

The Chief, Art Rooney Sr. was born in Coulter. I thought 13 bends was is Guffey Hollow?
White Lightning

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2010

Judged:

I too believe 13 bends is Guffey Hollow . The orphanage that burned down was across the river from Coulter, up over the hill from the towers.
That story was in the Daily News when they were cutting down the big oak there called the'Hanging Tree'. The other old town below Coulter was called 'Oceola'. That too is in the Coulter book.
White Lightning

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2010

More news from old papers of the area.

An Oil-Well Shooter's Wagon with 200 Pounds of Glycerine Overturned.

June 24, 1893---A terrible glycerine explosion occurred at an early hour near Guffey Station. Andy Muldoon, an oil-well shooter, was on his way to Guffey to shoot a well. He had 200 quarts of glycerine in his wagon and while coming down a steep hill into Guffey Station a wheel struck a large stone and the wagon was overturned. Nothing was found but small pieces of flesh scattered through the woods. The shock was felt for 15 miles around and people in the vicinity were severely shocked.
Eddie

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2010

Thanks folks for the information. I am fascinated/intrigued by this stuff. While we are on the subject..... How about Dravo-Stringtown Cemetery? From Boston, on the bike trail, it would be approximately 5 1/2 miles in, on your left - heading towards Buena-Vista. Easier way, to Buena Vista, left @ Tressler's Garage, past the Johnson Funeral Home. Park at the Trail parking lot, walk about one mile to the left and the cemetery will be on your right. Last October for All Hallow's Eve, myself, my son, his girlfriend and a friend went there at night. Keep in mind, no lights around whatsoever, no houses- absolutely nothing. Took the digital camera, and the pictures we got were absolutely amazing. None of us could explain the feelings we had that night. There was something in the air so to speak. We got orbs, images of things we could make out, and images of things made out of fog/mists. I've been there numerous times since, and nothing.

Also, the cemetery is super cool for the history aspect of things. There are grave sites from the early 1800's and on up, and the setting is serene.

- Eddie

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2010

Judged:

You guys need to bone up on your western Pennsylvania ghost history, although there are other 13 bends in Elizabeth/Harmarville.

http://www.strangeusa.com/ViewLocation.aspx...
Casper

Belle Vernon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

Personally, I like to hang out at Dead Man's Hollow.
http://hauntsandhistory.blogspot.com/2007/11/...
Eddie

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2010

Good pick. The name Dead Man's Hollow says it all. Walking around back there in the daylight is spooky enough. Some of the old trees freak me out in there. But, it's really neat and one of the jewels of this area that a lot of people (thankfully) don't know exists.

I like to metal detect for old coins, and one day last summer I was back in the "hollow" doing my thing - by myself. I had the uneasy feeling that someone was watching me, and the hair on my back was standing up. I heard the sound of small children laughing, and looked around in every direction - and nothing.

Later that day, I was on- line reading about the history of it, and I read that some people reported they heard children laughing back there... Hmmm.

- Eddie
Casper wrote:
Personally, I like to hang out at Dead Man's Hollow.
http://hauntsandhistory.blogspot.com/2007/11/...
White Lightning

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Judged:

I used to spend a lot of time there hunting & camping out . This was when the place was still owned by a private owner. There was a tunnel there
easily over a hundred yards long that led to the riverbank. Also used to be homes up there on the Lincoln Boro side & after that a few of the guys would get cars from the junkyard , drive them up the old road to Calhoun & run them around a small track on top of the hill. I know the hollow like my own home, but never came across no spooks or haunts. Not to say, something isn't there .
Rufus T Jones

Belle Vernon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2010

Judged:

Coulters be da phat place to takes the hoes for sum sucky sucky
Robert

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2010

Judged:

I'm going there toninght any advice?
Robert

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2010

Judged:

whoops im not from chicao im from irwin
General

North Versailles, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2010

Judged:

Robert wrote:
I'm going there toninght any advice?
Does the Blair Witch Project come to mind????

I'm kidding. The only people to fear in Coulter are a few of the living.

But if you do see the ghost of Art Rooney, who was born there, give him my best.
Eric Schmeltz

Turtle Creek, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

I lived in Robbins Station about 45 years ago. No ghosts, no orphanage. There was however Dravo Church across the Yough that did burn down in the 1930s.
The Dravo Cemetery on the bike trail is still there.
13 bends was in Robbins Station. It was so called because it had many bends. In the 1970s the State
took out the hill and revamped Turner Valley Road.
My family was in the area from the 1860s. Never saw a ghost. Sorry!!!
Eric

Turtle Creek, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

My relatives are in those cemeteries on Couter road, nothing spooky unless you want it to be.
Paul

Turtle Creek, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

Judged:

In Guffey Station you might see some drunks coming out of the Guffey Club, now that's scary.
Billy Bob

Homestead, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

LMFAO
Unexplained

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2011

Judged:

Eddie wrote:
Good pick. The name Dead Man's Hollow says it all. Walking around back there in the daylight is spooky enough. Some of the old trees freak me out in there. But, it's really neat and one of the jewels of this area that a lot of people (thankfully) don't know exists.
I like to metal detect for old coins, and one day last summer I was back in the "hollow" doing my thing - by myself. I had the uneasy feeling that someone was watching me, and the hair on my back was standing up. I heard the sound of small children laughing, and looked around in every direction - and nothing.
Later that day, I was on- line reading about the history of it, and I read that some people reported they heard children laughing back there... Hmmm.
- Eddie
<quoted text>
You still around? I see a shadow go down the stairway in the house. A weird mist has been witnessed in my basement several times and in the kitchen. A funeral home adjacent to another building years ago had occurrences. My girlfriend and me sat on either side of a very small square table. Through a large window I seen a shape come across the highway at us. It walked into the large window and through the table between us. I remained in silence on purpose, she exclaimed something went through right side of her arm and body. It went through my left side, I waited a while thinking and then told her. Several occurrences did happen there over the years. The house here had a very few happenings over the years. All the sightings mainly this year primarily. A shadow was seen in the kitchen swaying with nothing to make it. Shape if a person, thus shadow was seen in coming from a room on the floor of the kitchen moving. Definitely shape of a man there and here, slender but human in shape. The moving slow walking was very unusual. The shadow and mist appearances are male adult and a child a few times in the current basement. Left considering this and think something is changing. Years of nothing makes me notice as the sightings are fluent now and have been seen the same by others.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the McKeesport Forum right now

Search the McKeesport Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 21 min Pa dem 51,215
D-Day almost here for politicians and those wit... (Aug '12) 1 hr staggle tooth 529
Since MASD lost there appeal , what should they... 2 hr Renzie Park Picnic 28
What are they building 3 hr Jazzman 12
McKeesport SUCKS!!!!! (Feb '10) 7 hr George 29
Sins and Sinners Strip Club Grand Opening 7 hr Pauline 166
AG: 16 charged in connection with alleged illeg... (Sep '13) 7 hr Jackson 484
•••
•••
•••
•••

McKeesport Jobs

•••
•••