Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2011

Judged:

Other than moving (which I plan on doing eventually), is there some office or person in McKeesport I can report a slumlord to? He let plumbing leaks go until my kitchen ceiling was soaked. He got a plumber but never replaced the drywall. Now my bathroom is full of black mold and the kitchen ceiling has black mold as well. I've been sick for months now. When I complain the landlord tells me to move. I am on a month to month lease. I plan on moving but it's not always as easy as that. I need to come up with moving expenses, first month rent and security deposit. The house is also infested with flying ants that are termites or carpenter ants.

I am NOT on Section 8 and YES I have a full time job, not on any type of assistance. What can I do?

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2011

Judged:

I would say that if the leaks, mold and damage are severe enough you could call the building inspector....but in this town, that probably wont yield you much...

Not sure if there is any sort of authority that governs tenant issues in this city, but PA has to have one.....maybe contact your local congressman's office?

Since: Jan 11

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2011

Judged:

I would contact the health department!!
Gtr

Dravosburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2011

Judged:

Horrible for anyone to have to go through anything like that! Try seeking, searching for Pa tenants rights over the Internet. Call the news stations explaining the situation.

A visit in person to representatives offices may yield information. They may have some phone numbers to call or information.

Will look for more sources for you.

Glenn Rioux
Gtr

Dravosburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2011

Judged:

fed up wrote:
Other than moving (which I plan on doing eventually), is there some office or person in McKeesport I can report a slumlord to? He let plumbing leaks go until my kitchen ceiling was soaked. He got a plumber but never replaced the drywall. Now my bathroom is full of black mold and the kitchen ceiling has black mold as well. I've been sick for months now. When I complain the landlord tells me to move. I am on a month to month lease. I plan on moving but it's not always as easy as that. I need to come up with moving expenses, first month rent and security deposit. The house is also infested with flying ants that are termites or carpenter ants.
I am NOT on Section 8 and YES I have a full time job, not on any type of assistance. What can I do?
Where is the landlord from?
Lost Person

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2011

Judged:

Shadango wrote:
I would say that if the leaks, mold and damage are severe enough you could call the building inspector....but in this town, that probably wont yield you much...
Not sure if there is any sort of authority that governs tenant issues in this city, but PA has to have one.....maybe contact your local congressman's office?
You are correct you can not find him. He is always working from home. Another person that JB let set his own working hours, like others.
White Lightning

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2011

Judged:

Contact the Health Dept. first & then the County for a lawyer to give you advice either free or for little charge. Look into putting the rent money into escrowm meaning the money is there but will not be paid to the landlord until these problems are solved according to code. That black mold is nothing to play with. Houses have been torn down when this mold was unable to be controlled. Call the state & federal too for assistance.
long time McKeesporter

Springdale, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2011

Judged:

Contacting the Allegheny County Health Department will be enough. They will come and investigate and fine the landlord for all infractions.

If you put rent in escrow while doing this, you are covered. If the law is still the same as it was in the past, after a bit of time you get the rent money back if the problems aren't repaired.

“To Each His Own....Opinion!”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2011

The ACHD will also help you move. They just moved a family off of my street with similar problems. The Landlord lives here in McKeesport and sells drugs and has been in all sorts of trouble. Believe it or not, he has someone else living in the house right now, a friend of his and another troublemaker/felon/a**hole/los er. To my knowledge there is no water in that house to this day as it was never brought up to code....how he gets away with it, I'll never know. But at least they'll assist you with finding a place and the funds you need, if the place is unsafe and the owner refuses to do the necessary repairs. I know, I saw the paperwork that my neighbor had. She is in McKeesport still, another neighborhood and much happier.
Juan valdez

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2011

Judged:

It could be tillie gricar or ed coulter. Both owe tax money.
Gtr

Dravosburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2011

Judged:

I placed up a trellis on my porch, the neighbors had code come special. All the decrepit falling houses and they zero in on certain people. But truth here is very eye opening as that landlord is local according to you BellaToni. Seems who means a lot more than a actual serious problem.

A neighbor builds a complete shed, no code no taxes. Houses falling, no code on scene at many of them. That is one reason people are upset, now everyone knows the property owner lives here in McKeesport.

Why do you think they do not do anything to him? Friendship?

We cannot rid McKeesport of drugs while turning heads the other way. It isn't the same landlord that accused Paul falsely is it?

If not than we have a much bigger problem ignored. Landlord by my house is a very wonderful one. He cares about his tenants and cares about his rentals. McKeesport needs more landlords like them. If fact, they should give him and other known quality rental owners first pick of restoring houses if possible.

Glenn Rioux
Teachers Pet

Apo, AE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2011

Judged:

Do not complain about favortism. It can be a good thing. Now it isn't, though. Who do I need to buddy up with to get small things taken care of? I'd at least like a returned call. I wanna be a favorite and above the law, too!
Gtr

Dravosburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2011

Judged:

Favoritism for wrongdoing, I think that is the problem at the time.

What I don't understand is people who steal usually target wealthy neighborhoods. Here they steal from poor neighbors and hard working people. I had a salt bag stolen from property last year.

They stole a toy last year, they would have had to come up to the door to do it. Might have been a child, then I'd have handed the parents a box full.(laughs). I offered that salt to a neighbor, that was a ver large, heavy bag. Definitely not kids for that one, that and only the neighbors house had a view of it and it was about hidden. I offered to give it days before, maybe some feel better if they steal? Police said nothing they can do, and that was my property. A chair was claimed lost from the street last year, police filled the street at their house! Weird set of standards people thought, they asked about why all the police were at that house. From the street they can act, from your property they cannot.

It's humor at some point because it goes beyond the norms by extremities.

From that and many other specific circumstances I conclude who is complaining that matters, not the crime.

Glenn Rioux
Gtr

Dravosburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2011

Judged:

I think I understand favoritism, like we favor the lady with the bad landlord. I would be happy to take pictures for her. That us positive and obviously helpful to her that we favor her on here. We favor Gifford, the victims of 911, it is clearly positive.

Glenn Rioux
fed up

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2011

Judged:

I just moved out AND I reported the slumlord to the health department. I am in a financial nightmare now but at least I feel better healthwise.

I've been seeing a doctor and am awaiting results of a chest xray for black mold in my lungs.

Thank you all for your advice, kind words and offers to take photos. I have taken time-date stamped photos every couple months for the past two years of the mold problem which has gotten worse and worse.

From what I hear the slumlord is over there in this frigid cold painting of course, I am sure right over the black mold to wait for the next victim.
frank

Coraopolis, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2011

fed up wrote:
ihad the same problem on the south side in pittsburgh and the health department sent an inspector out immediately who in turn served notice to the landlord and provided me with copies of the report. I then turned it over to legal aid and received moving expenses and first and last months rent for another dwelling when the landlord refused to help . Once you get a report call Edgar Snyder
Gtr

New Kensington, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2011

Judged:

With Edgar Snyder, you will not pay a fee up front, receive excellent help. You may find help in the city, check with friends. I think Frank on here may be able to help you. If you look me up on Facebook, I will find you information to help. Do not give up, with all trials progress ca be achieved.

Glenn Rioux
Gtr

New Kensington, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2011

Judged:

Fed up, keep us posted and thank you for telling us.

Glenn Rioux
Gtr

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2011

Judged:

The person wasn't from another state, but right in McKeesport. I would like to know if the tenant is ok now?

Glenn Rioux
frank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2011

In my opinion landlords hands should be kept on the burner when it is determined they are slumlords.
A list should be posted , but only if the accuser uses his full name/ and /or email address

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent McKeesport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Ferguson - McKeesport, PA 2 hr Civil Rights 38
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 12 hr Jelly 51,280
Charter school bussing 14 hr Civil Rights 2
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 16 hr A Muslims Useful... 3,899
Sexiest teacher ever in MASD? Thu Guy Grand 1
D-Day almost here for politicians and those wit... (Aug '12) Wed Mac Hine 630
who is running this city? Aug 18 Men of the Lord 165

Search the McKeesport Forum:
•••
•••

McKeesport Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

McKeesport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE