Just sayin

Wexford, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Who can forget Harry's store on Jenny Lind St?

“Truth Will Set Us Free”

Since: May 08

Mckeesport

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Judged:

Johnie Keys on lower Evans.
White Lightning

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

Who can forget Harry's store on Jenny Lind St?
==========
Yeah I remember, Martha & Harry's next to Movic's.
Nickel pinball machines & they would make you a
jumbo sandwich with pickle for 10 or 15 cents.
They treated us kids great.
ol school

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

It is sad that most of these neighborhood stores are gone - not just in McKeesport, but everywhere. The white flight, corporate mentality has taken over. Now the moms drive the kids in the SUVs to the McDonalds at lunch. They stay home and play the video games and browse the web.
We used to get up at 8 on Saturdays and play ball (baseball, football, basketball) until it was dark. Or we would ride our bikes to the corner store for a drink and snack. Maybe spend 10-20 minutes in front of a pinball or bingo machine.
Sure there were a few fat kids around, but no where near what it is today.
fat kid

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

why the wise crack about us.....what did we do to you
Just sayin

Wexford, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2009

ol school wrote:
It is sad that most of these neighborhood stores are gone - not just in McKeesport, but everywhere. The white flight, corporate mentality has taken over. Now the moms drive the kids in the SUVs to the McDonalds at lunch. They stay home and play the video games and browse the web.
We used to get up at 8 on Saturdays and play ball (baseball, football, basketball) until it was dark. Or we would ride our bikes to the corner store for a drink and snack. Maybe spend 10-20 minutes in front of a pinball or bingo machine.
Sure there were a few fat kids around, but no where near what it is today.
In the summer, we left the house to play in the morning & didn't come home until dinner! No one needed to make "play dates" back then....
Ray

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2009

Just sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
In the summer, we left the house to play in the morning & didn't come home until dinner! No one needed to make "play dates" back then....
Those were the good ol days
Ray

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2009

Sluggo wrote:
Barb sold Ice Cream too from behind the counter I believe. Used to buy my comic books and wrestling magazines there. Also, those little wafer flying saucers with the little colored beads in them.... After a hard day at 5th Avenue School Yard, we'd get those 7 oz. Coca-Cola bottles.
Minerva Bakery is still there. Gotta love a community institution.
Hand-dipped ice cream.......whithouse and butter pecan were two of my mother's favorites

“Truth Will Set Us Free”

Mckeesport

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2009

Judged:

Ray wrote:
<quoted text>
Hand-dipped ice cream.......whithouse and butter pecan were two of my mother's favorites
Exactly. I think they mixed up shakes in these old metal shakers too. Hey, my guess is first initial "L.". Am I right?

Paul
Ray

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2009

Sluggo wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. I think they mixed up shakes in these old metal shakers too. Hey, my guess is first initial "L.". Am I right?
Paul
Yep you are right.........how is the old neighborhood? Not too many houses left I hear.

“Truth Will Set Us Free”

Mckeesport

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2009

Judged:

Ray wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep you are right.........how is the old neighborhood? Not too many houses left I hear.
Hey L.,

The old neighborhood is pretty quiet for the most part. So many houses gone with more that need to. Not like the old days when we had dozens of kids there all the time.

I hope you don't believe the stuff you read about me on here. Please realize that most of the crap written about me here comes from folks who have a lot to lose if an honest man is ever elected Mayor.

I have had my share of trouble this past 18 months, some self inflicted, but I am still the same guy who just wants to make a positive difference here that you grew up with.

Keep in touch.

Why "Ray"? You had me fooled for quite some time.

Paul
Ray

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2009

Sluggo wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey L.,
The old neighborhood is pretty quiet for the most part. So many houses gone with more that need to. Not like the old days when we had dozens of kids there all the time.
I hope you don't believe the stuff you read about me on here. Please realize that most of the crap written about me here comes from folks who have a lot to lose if an honest man is ever elected Mayor.
I have had my share of trouble this past 18 months, some self inflicted, but I am still the same guy who just wants to make a positive difference here that you grew up with.
Keep in touch.
Why "Ray"? You had me fooled for quite some time.
Paul
Sometimes i think how nice it would be to be a kid again and then I think No they have twice as much too deal with now then we did.
I will email you do't want to put tmi out there.
remembering

Cheswick, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2010

Lippert's
Oddo's
Star Restaurant
Green's
Murphy's
Club Car
Cox's
Immel's
David Israel's
Helmsteders
Blid's
Sam's Hotdogs
Henry B Klein's
Shadango

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2010

Myer Park wrote:
Anyway... Although it is not really McKeesport, I remember going to Eastland Mall in the early 80s. I loved Gee Bees and one year for Christmas my dad took me and my brother to see Return of the Jedi at the theater.
I was just up at the old Eastland site the other day, looking at the vast expanse of "nothing", marveling at how that used to be a shopping hub.

Its weird to see the big empty field now.

I wonder if they have any plans for it?
long time McKeesporter

Springdale, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2010

Shadango wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just up at the old Eastland site the other day, looking at the vast expanse of "nothing", marveling at how that used to be a shopping hub.
Its weird to see the big empty field now.
I wonder if they have any plans for it?
It's back to looking like it did in the 50's What progress huh?
Former McKeesport

Portsmouth, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

I moved away a long time ago but every time I work with my model railroad collection, Lou Oddo comes to mind. That small store stuffed with toys and trains and filled with the sweet smell of Lou's pipe.
Former McKeesport

Portsmouth, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

I remember when Eastland became a flea market. I haven't been back in years, is it all gone now ?
Collin Street Alumni

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

It is time for Collins Street...a new era for both the Machine and the Port. Access cards for everyone.
Speaking Truth

Mckeesport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

Former: Yes, it's all gone now. Just a field of rocks. Really sad, I had so many great memories of the place. And much of Mckeesport (the city) is gone as well. Almost nothing, that meant anything to me, exists any longer. Entire sections of business property have been reduced to boarded up buildings and broken windows.
Good Ole Klan Rally Daze

Apo, AE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Remember Sluggo goin' to all them there Klan rallies? What a racist hoot was he. Here endeth the lesson, McK.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the McKeesport Forum right now

Search the McKeesport Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
who is running this city? 9 hr White Lightning 132
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 9 hr Big Daddy 3,812
Worst Politician in Mckeesport History (Aug '09) 21 hr Jamie 478
Salvation Army giving slower this year (Dec '13) 23 hr CaCat 24
Does International Village Need A Paper Trail (Jul '12) Wed south park innocent lad 20
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) Wed More Settled Science 51,184
mckeesport police mark steel (Sep '11) Jul 22 naw him and the rest 13
•••
•••
•••
•••

McKeesport Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

McKeesport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE