First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jun 09

tha port

#1 Aug 10, 2009
I wish I could have been alive when the city of McKeesport was at its best. My dad has told me stories of what McKeesport was like when he was growing up (he's 62). About how sometimes you couldn't even walk on the sidewalks downtown because there were so many people shopping; how he would have to stand at Sam's because there were people sitting at the bar and a row of people standing behind them; how you could go to a show anytime because there were three movie theaters in McKeesport...does anyone have any good memories or stories about our fine City that they would like to share? And I realize that I will get some smart/witty responses to this post, but I am looking forward to the posts that are meaningful.
Ralph The Plumber

Nashville, TN

#3 Aug 11, 2009
Prosthetic penis day in the microve-wave is by far my fondest/proudest memory of diseaseport.
White Lightning

Mckeesport, PA

#4 Sep 16, 2009
C'mon Ralph, that story is getting old. Not that we don't have enough low-lifes around here, but the scumbags that pulled this off were not from around here.

At one time McKeesport was the center for about 17 municipalities or boroughs in this area & had over 55,000 residents. If this city had pulled off the same type of take-over of outlying areas as Pittsburgh did, the outcome may have been very different. Except for the crooked Dem. politics that has brought nothing but failure for 70 years.

“Truth Will Set Us Free”

Since: May 08

Mckeesport

#5 Sep 16, 2009
White Lightning wrote:
C'mon Ralph, that story is getting old. Not that we don't have enough low-lifes around here, but the scumbags that pulled this off were not from around here.
At one time McKeesport was the center for about 17 municipalities or boroughs in this area & had over 55,000 residents. If this city had pulled off the same type of take-over of outlying areas as Pittsburgh did, the outcome may have been very different. Except for the crooked Dem. politics that has brought nothing but failure for 70 years.
Mckeesport was a great place to grow up in. It isn't today. It's about time we all quit blaming others for our predicament and just went to work, together, to make things better. We can start by throwing out any elected official in or seeking office who is interested in serving their own interests, as opposed to those of the people. All Dem's are not evil W.L., but we've had enough bad apples to spoil many opinions of the party.
White Lightning

Mckeesport, PA

#6 Sep 16, 2009
All Dem's are not evil W.L.,
==========
I know that, my family has been Dem. forever. But the new Dems in DC are not my father's democratic
party. I will vote for a democrat in a second if I think he is right for the job. But I refuse to remain blind & dumb & pull that D lever without question.I make these statements only to make people question themselves. Do they realize what king of powerful message they could send if only they voted out these political machines(which happen to be Democratic) for just one lousy term.
Four lousy years to force them to see they are not all powerful & that the 'PEOPLE' are in control.
They need to learn a lesson. It's not forever, it
can change every 4 years. The voters need to stop playing the part of political zombies. But everytime someone talks some common sense, they get pissed off & defensive. Time to change tactics.

“Truth Will Set Us Free”

Mckeesport

#7 Sep 16, 2009
They say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If the folks aren't happy with McKeesport (and the County for that matter) then we've got to elect new people. It is the true Maverick's that have made the difference. Case in point would be Dick Caliguiri (sp?) in Pittsburgh. The statue they built of the man was well deserved. Bob O'Connor is another who would have been a great Mayor had the Lord not taken him way too soon. The guy was a Party guy that the Party had dismissed for years. His love of Pittsburgh would have made all the difference. I suspect he'd have really "redd up" Pittsburgh had he been given time. In McKeesport, for years, Joe Bendel was the anit-machine guy that kept them honest. Once he became Mayor, he accomplished some big things like bringing in EchoStar and building that fine Marina. It seems like all the good ones are gone too soon and the ones who for whatever reason, produce little, hang on forever.

Hang in there my friend and keep fighting the good fight. I believe that we are on the verge of some big positive changes in McKeesport. Unfortunately, bcause of the machine dominance in the last low turn-out election, we will have to suffer a bit longer with the same old stale idead before we turn that corner.

Paul
Get Over It

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Sep 17, 2009
Yes Mckeesport was once a great place to live. Mills were booming, little if any section 8 housing, but guess what, those days are gone, never coming back and McKEESPORT AS LONG AS IT IS DEPENDENT ON Government handouts WILL NEVER be anything more than the drug/crime shithole it has become. Maybe in 50 years or so when the parasites of section 8 housing have destroyed everything and McKeesport can be re-built it will again flourish, but I doubt it.
Myer Park

Pittsburgh, PA

#9 Sep 17, 2009
Anyway... Although it is not really McKeesport, I remember going to Eastland Mall in the early 80s. I loved Gee Bees and one year for Christmas my dad took me and my brother to see Return of the Jedi at the theater.
Citizen

Pittsburgh, PA

#10 Sep 17, 2009
Get Over It wrote:
Yes Mckeesport was once a great place to live. Mills were booming, little if any section 8 housing, but guess what, those days are gone, never coming back and McKEESPORT AS LONG AS IT IS DEPENDENT ON Government handouts WILL NEVER be anything more than the drug/crime shithole it has become. Maybe in 50 years or so when the parasites of section 8 housing have destroyed everything and McKeesport can be re-built it will again flourish, but I doubt it.
The only way to get rid of Section 8 is to throw out the bums at the city and housing authority who keep us all tied to that government check once a month!
Ray

Glassport, PA

#11 Sep 17, 2009
Myer Park wrote:
Anyway... Although it is not really McKeesport, I remember going to Eastland Mall in the early 80s. I loved Gee Bees and one year for Christmas my dad took me and my brother to see Return of the Jedi at the theater.
My first job was at Wiener world in Eastland late 79.
I loved the place also.

“Truth Will Set Us Free”

Mckeesport

#12 Sep 17, 2009
Ray wrote:
<quoted text>
My first job was at Wiener world in Eastland late 79.
I loved the place also.
I liked Eastland too. My first date was at the Theatre there around 1979 also. I think it was 77 when I was at the old "Tech" High.

I really hope it wasn't "Saturday Night Fever". Man, I don't miss disco!

Too funny.

Were we classmates? I graduated McKeesport in 1981.

Paul
APOLOGY TO NOSEY

Pittsburgh, PA

#13 Sep 17, 2009
nosey newcomer wrote:
I wish I could have been alive when the city of McKeesport was at its best. My dad has told me stories of what McKeesport was like when he was growing up (he's 62). About how sometimes you couldn't even walk on the sidewalks downtown because there were so many people shopping; how he would have to stand at Sam's because there were people sitting at the bar and a row of people standing behind them; how you could go to a show anytime because there were three movie theaters in McKeesport...does anyone have any good memories or stories about our fine City that they would like to share? And I realize that I will get some smart/witty responses to this post, but I am looking forward to the posts that are meaningful.
That is the problem with this site. People always use any topic at their political platform rather than what many of these topics are about. All you ask for was some stories of memories of the city not all the anti-machine or section 8 comments. Sorry you had to go thru all the dumb stuff Nosey hope you find the stories you are looking for

“Truth Will Set Us Free”

Mckeesport

#14 Sep 17, 2009
I like Oddo's Hobby Shop and Eating upstairs at Murphys.
Ray

Glassport, PA

#15 Sep 17, 2009
Sluggo wrote:
<quoted text>
I liked Eastland too. My first date was at the Theatre there around 1979 also. I think it was 77 when I was at the old "Tech" High.
I really hope it wasn't "Saturday Night Fever". Man, I don't miss disco!
Too funny.
Were we classmates? I graduated McKeesport in 1981.
Paul
Paul, Paul, Paul when are you going to believe me when I tell you i am not you have been accusing me of. I have told you several times that the only person that I know on this site is you. I would have graduated in 81 had I not been young and dumb.
nick

Pittsburgh, PA

#16 Sep 17, 2009
it only took over a month for some good responses.i remember going to kinney shoes as a kid...my mother always made me get those g.a.s.s. shoes...you know great american shoe store...the best thing about the place was the big box of pretzels they had..i loved the pretzels but hated the shoes
Myer Park

Pittsburgh, PA

#17 Sep 17, 2009
I got my 1st album at Bee Gees Olivia Newton John - Physical.
Myer Park

Pittsburgh, PA

#18 Sep 17, 2009
oops gee bees
walnut st

Pittsburgh, PA

#19 Sep 17, 2009
brick alley was the best...especially when we had are own red light district.........those were the days

“Truth Will Set Us Free”

Mckeesport

#20 Sep 17, 2009
I miss the 6th Ward A.C. They had one of those cool little duck pin bowling machines and served Yoohoo to the kids.

The real Sluggo was a charter member and helped build the original club.

I also miss having 15 or so hoops courts and school yards to go to. There was always some sport for a kid to play if they wanted too.

Paul

“Truth Will Set Us Free”

Mckeesport

#21 Sep 17, 2009
Ray wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul, Paul, Paul when are you going to believe me when I tell you i am not you have been accusing me of. I have told you several times that the only person that I know on this site is you. I would have graduated in 81 had I not been young and dumb.
I was being sincere with my questions. Don't be so sensitive. If you know me for real then drop me an email at sluggo@paulshelly.com and we can catch up off board. I/ll respect your anonymity from the public. No worries.

Paul

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKeesport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Another Shooting 21 min Jarome Hill 41
City Council 5 hr Candy Man 16
City Council Member against violence is violent... 5 hr McCall 4 Controller 16
SHOOTINGS IN McKEESPORT and our FUTURE as a CITY (Jul '12) Sun Porky 84
News Action News Investigates: City denies elderly w... Sun Failed Cover Up 77
News "save our transit invades re-election party (Feb '07) Sun Tom Corruptett 5
Tax Dollars / Public Safety Questioned Jul 23 Themis 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

McKeesport Mortgages