First Prev
of 75
Next Last
badcop

West Chester, OH

#1 Jun 10, 2009
It looks like another round of ge layoffs as we pack into the circus tent this week!
The MAAn From Eternity

Canton, OH

#2 Jun 10, 2009
badcop wrote:
It looks like another round of ge layoffs as we pack into the circus tent this week!
Don't forget, it's next Wednesday also. I wonder how much that will cost in wage costs, tent set up, etc.
I've never been paid to watch stand up comedy before, but this should be a hoot.
Carl

Stow, OH

#4 Jun 10, 2009
Thought GE just got another contract?
The MAAn From Eternity

Canton, OH

#5 Jun 11, 2009
Carl wrote:
Thought GE just got another contract?
Not very recently but in a couple of weeks or so we're due to get another raise. GE wants us to forgo any raises until the next contract in (I think)2011.
That's what I suspect this meeting is about. If we don't give up our raises, they may put us all on a 32 hour work week.
Not only will that reduce our wages but it will make us inelligible for supplemental pay that helps make up wages when you're laid off.
BTW, Jeff Immelt CEO of GE gave up his bonus in 2008.(it was $3,300,000 the previous year) Between salary, stock awards, deferred earnings etc he still made $14,096,603 in 2008. In other words he made more in one quarter than any of us will make in our lifetime. Poor baby.
rastus

Fredericksburg, VA

#6 Jun 11, 2009
The MAAn From Eternity wrote:
<quoted text>
Not very recently but in a couple of weeks or so we're due to get another raise. GE wants us to forgo any raises until the next contract in (I think)2011.
That's what I suspect this meeting is about. If we don't give up our raises, they may put us all on a 32 hour work week.
Not only will that reduce our wages but it will make us inelligible for supplemental pay that helps make up wages when you're laid off.
BTW, Jeff Immelt CEO of GE gave up his bonus in 2008.(it was $3,300,000 the previous year) Between salary, stock awards, deferred earnings etc he still made $14,096,603 in 2008. In other words he made more in one quarter than any of us will make in our lifetime. Poor baby.
But don't you watch the news, things are getting better !
dennis the pennis

United States

#7 Jun 11, 2009
tax NO more wrote:
hey!.........see any public union members....
getting axed???
see any "REDUCTION".....in pay or benefits???
public union thugs......
Dennis...public union members ranks have been reduced by 40% locally through layoffs. Seems you, as usual, don't know what you are talking about.

“Now or Never”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#8 Jun 11, 2009
<quoted text>
Yep. Taking a cut in pay when you're making six figures is nothing; especially when you're not actually doing the work.
The MAAn From Eternity

Canton, OH

#9 Jun 11, 2009
rastus wrote:
<quoted text>
But don't you watch the news, things are getting better !
Ah my simple friend, life is more complex than better/worse, good/bad, black/white, evil/good.
For example, if we go to a 4 day week, I'll make less money but have a 3 day weekend every weekend.
Is that good or bad? I find for the most part, life is what you make it.
The MAAn From Eternity

Canton, OH

#10 Jun 11, 2009
Omniscient1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. Taking a cut in pay when you're making six figures is nothing; especially when you're not actually doing the work.
I know what you mean. When you are making $20,000 a year and have to take even a $10 or $20 a week cut in pay, that really hurts.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#11 Jun 11, 2009
Omniscient1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad, you should of went to school , then to grad school, then worked your tail off the become the CEO of GE. He has more responsibility than you have in your pinky.

You had the same opportunity to purse what he did...you chose a different route...dont cry about it now.

Cant stand when we tear down people who are successful. Thats what AMerica is all about.
The MAAn From Eternity

Canton, OH

#12 Jun 11, 2009
soasoas111 wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad, you should of went to school , then to grad school, then worked your tail off the become the CEO of GE. He has more responsibility than you have in your pinky.
You had the same opportunity to purse what he did...you chose a different route...dont cry about it now.
Cant stand when we tear down people who are successful. Thats what AMerica is all about.
I find it interesting that you seem to equate success with having a lot of money. To a big degree, that IS what America is all about.
Also, you don't know how he came to have his job. Don't discount the luck factor in anything, though I do agree that you have to be out there trying.
Finally, as to his responsibility, exactly what is it? For whatever it is, I'm sure he doesn't work 25 hours a day. To that point, I think to a large degree, Jack Welch was in the right place at the right time. I don't think he'd be making more profitable quarters for GE now either.
In other words, when you have record orders many strategies can make money. When you have no orders, none can. They are just men. Smart men to be sure, but just men. If they were so smart they would have planned for this economical downturn that took even experts by surprise.
Teevee

Elizabeth, PA

#13 Jun 11, 2009
111 - be sure to check you grammar, spelling and punctuation before you post. You should have learned this in school and grad school before you worked your tail off to reach the pinnacle of American industry.
Hello

North East, PA

#14 Jun 11, 2009
<quoted text>
I know what you mean. When you are making $20,000 a year and have to take even a $10 or $20 a week cut in pay, that really hurts.
Who asked for a cut?

I seriously doubt anyone working in that plant makes less than $40K
Hello

North East, PA

#15 Jun 11, 2009
<quoted text>
I find it interesting that you seem to equate success with having a lot of money. To a big degree, that IS what America is all about.
And yet, when the local plant has a slow down, you go right after the CEO to blame.
Also, you don't know how he came to have his job. Don't discount the luck factor in anything, though I do agree that you have to be out there trying.
Yeah, Luck had lots to do with becoming the CEO of a Company like GE. Not like when the POTUS just appoints you.
Finally, as to his responsibility, exactly what is it? For whatever it is, I'm sure he doesn't work 25 hours a day.
More like 18-20
To that point, I think to a large degree, Jack Welch was in the right place at the right time.
Closing businesses that lost money and generating new business that did. Start taking a look at GE Capital since he resigned.
I don't think he'd be making more profitable quarters for GE now either.
Sure he would. He gave each business a chance to:
1. get fixed
2. get sold
3. shut down.
In other words, when you have record orders many strategies can make money. When you have no orders, none can. They are just men. Smart men to be sure, but just men. If they were so smart they would have planned for this economical downturn that took even experts by surprise.
IOW - You have no clue on how to run a major corporation. Them guys was smart & lucky?
The MAAn From Eternity

Canton, OH

#16 Jun 11, 2009
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Who asked for a cut?
I seriously doubt anyone working in that plant makes less than $40K
Omniscient 1 said for the CEO to take a pay cut when he makes 6 figures, it's no problem.(actually he makes 8 figures)
I said that when cuts hurt is when you only make 20K. I make much more than that but I've been there and done that, so I relate to what his point was. That's what I was trying to convey.
BTW, GE wants the blue collar guys to do without their next 2 scheduled wage increases that the company agreed to in the last contract.
Seems to me that if GE negotiated raises beyond which they could comfortably pay, someone should be fired.
GE aint me

Canton, OH

#17 Jun 11, 2009
Let see some management and white collar guys start taking some pay cuts and increase their hours. I'm tired of the workers always getting the short end of the stick and then media and management make them out to be the bad guys. The contract is the contract. Both sides agreed to it, so let's stick to it.
And for all the haters, go back to you $8/hr job at a sccchitty plastics plant and complain to your buddies about us at GE that were smart enough to go work here versus your sweat shot filled with druggies, drinkers, baby daddys, and other trash. Us, we will enjoy our 6 weeks vacation, 14 paid holidays, and 20 hours of personal time a year. Suck on that you loser!
Hello

North East, PA

#18 Jun 11, 2009
<quoted text>BTW, GE wants the blue collar guys to do without their next 2 scheduled wage increases that the company agreed to in the last contract.
Seems to me that if GE negotiated raises beyond which they could comfortably pay, someone should be fired.
I guess you could look at it that way.

Orrrrr

You can see a corporate lead charge to keep the company profitable.

Ask investors in GM and Chrysler if they want to invest some money in another company that bleeds red ink.

If you are worried about 32 hours, maybe you should worry about a closed plant. They do have others and there is nothing done inside those gates that they can't get done somewhere else
The MAAn From Eternity

Canton, OH

#19 Jun 11, 2009
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you could look at it that way.
Orrrrr
You can see a corporate lead charge to keep the company profitable.
Ask investors in GM and Chrysler if they want to invest some money in another company that bleeds red ink.
If you are worried about 32 hours, maybe you should worry about a closed plant. They do have others and there is nothing done inside those gates that they can't get done somewhere else
I getcha. But many think that it doesn't make sense for us to give up our raises because like GM, it's not going to stop the inevitable. It may in fact make no difference other than giving us less money.
I'm not an anti-capitalist. From where we are sitting, it's hard to know anything about the company. For example, I understand the mantra of do a good job for the company and rah, rah, rah, we'll be rewarded.
Some years ago from what I understand, GE was looking to sell it's locomotive division to a specific company but it didn't go through because we were too profitable.
In other words, the other company didn't think they could buy GE and increase profits even more because, I presume, we were sucking most of the profit available. Whether this is true or not, I have no idea.
The point though is that sometimes when you make a company profitable, that's exactly the time for them to sell it off...when the profitability and company value is high. Good for the company. Bad for the workers out of a job.
I run my income like my own little company, much like GE runs theirs...give me all I can get while I can get it. They don't have to be concerned about me (because I know they aren't) but meanwhile, I'm not concerned about them except to the extent that it benefits me. Spoken like a true capitalist pig :)
Final thought: management has been so dishonest through the years that the average worker has no way to understand what is genuine anyhow. If we are told something is for "the company's benefit" it may well be that it just makes an individual successful within the heirarchy.(Lookie at the give back I got from the workers.)
Meanwhile, I'm content to be a pig, just like them and let the chips fall where they may.

The MAAn From Eternity

Canton, OH

#20 Jun 11, 2009
GE aint me wrote:
Let see some management and white collar guys start taking some pay cuts and increase their hours. I'm tired of the workers always getting the short end of the stick and then media and management make them out to be the bad guys. The contract is the contract. Both sides agreed to it, so let's stick to it.
And for all the haters, go back to you $8/hr job at a sccchitty plastics plant and complain to your buddies about us at GE that were smart enough to go work here versus your sweat shot filled with druggies, drinkers, baby daddys, and other trash. Us, we will enjoy our 6 weeks vacation, 14 paid holidays, and 20 hours of personal time a year. Suck on that you loser!
I work at GE too, but this post isn't reflective of my opinion. I've worked for a $1.50 an hour before...and everywhere in between. It's not fun, and I like to think that I'm the same person now that I was then. I just did what I had to do to get where I got.
Also, for all I know, I may be back at a $8 an hour job some day. I just understand now to make an effort to better myself, one step at a time.
badcop

West Chester, OH

#21 Jun 11, 2009
I was told today by staff level manager the meetings are concerning our wages.Give up your annual raise,like they where forced to,or else!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 75
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKean Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Board: Erie's Domitrovich first offered to leav... (Aug '14) 2 hr Lock the Old Cvnt up 13
News Sanders' defense: Erie jurors tainted 2 hr The Watcher 2
News Contractor wants dismissed from Erie inmate sui... 3 hr TickleCvnt 11
Review: All About Smiles Dental Assoc (Jul '09) 3 hr Quacks 55
WJET 24 5PM News cast! Jill mcCormick.. 6 hr True 2
Trumps wife 7 hr Thinker 57
Lisa Zompa 7 hr Diavulu 28

McKean Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

McKean Mortgages