Remembering Mark
Ben

Vancouver, WA

#1 Sep 13, 2008
I knew Mark since his father, Russ Root, owned Shamrock store. He was a good man and was always willing to lend a hand. I remember having to ask him to pull my truck out of the snow once when I was seventeen back on the Floe road. He was happy to help although he was probably annoyed that we were that stupid.

Anyone who knows Mark now knows that his fire next to Red Rock was always open to everyone late at night. This is a sad senseless loss. I don't know his children but our prayers go out to them. They're accomplished and he was proud of that. Keep up the good work.
Jason Russell Root

United States

#2 Sep 15, 2008
Hello to all out there, I am writing to confirm Mark's death is true. He was shot right by his own fire pit early Saturday morning, along with a woman named Jamie. The shooter was a renter from Mark and obviously had emotional problems, he shot Jamie twice and shot Mark three times and then took his own life with the sixth bullet. John Brightman was a loner and a quiet confused person, My feelings are mixed but I do not wish hard feelings to his family. My concern is for for Mark's three children: Jake, Jessie and Kyle. My family will do what ever it takes to make these kids try to go through this with the least amount of suffering. Myself I will devote my everything to them the rest of my life.
Misty Seifert

Menomonee Falls, WI

#3 Sep 15, 2008
Root Family-
I heard of Marks passing through my mom, Lori Hadl. She is one of Mark's cousins in Kansas.It saddens me to hear of such a tragic story. I pray for you all and especially Jessi,Jake and Kyle. Your dad was a wonderful man who loved you children to pieces. My mom and stepdad had the honor of visiting him awhile ago. She thinks very highly of him and your family. There is nothing I can say to take the hurt away, but please know we are praying for you all during this difficult time. Jason- your message was very moving, those children are very lucky to have you as their uncle.
May God Bless you all,
Misty Seifert and family
(Lori's daughter)
Kansas
Jodi and Chris Carlson

AOL

#4 Sep 16, 2008
Mark and the kids have been in our family for many years. He was funny with a great sense of humor. His love for his three kids, my niece and my nephews, Jacob, Kyle and Jessica was a wonderful thing to be a part of. Because of Mark these kids had the chance to grow up together and be a part of a strong family. He will be greatly missed. I will do everything to remain a big part of Jakes, Jessies and Kyles lives. My love and heart goes out to them all. Love aunt Jodi

Since: Sep 08

Leawood, KS

#5 Sep 18, 2008
Jason,Jennifer,Mike,Rhonda,Kyl e,Jessie and Jacob,i heard the tragic news and my heart gos out to all of you,i will always keep the memories of mark,his great sense of humor,his love for his kids.i stopped by and seen him a couple of times or my way up to rapids,and i always got a laugh from him,mark was such a good person,so sorry this happened.ive been reading alot of the papers,marks kindness and his willing to help cost him his life.ive also got very mixed feelings,but my only concern is his kids and siblings.we all no the goodness in mark,i will dearly miss him.im not able to make the funeral but i will be their in oct. for the fund raiser,i hope i will see all of you,my thoughts and prayers are with you all,i will see you soon,love Lori your cousin from Kansas.let me no if theirs anything i can do fo the fund raiser,please.

Since: Sep 08

Le Roy, IL

#6 Sep 19, 2008
(To those of you using this forum to snap back and forth at eachother....I urge you to get a life and go back to the sick and perverce web sites you usually find yourself in.)
This was a senseless and sad loss for our family, Mark will be greatly missed. I had the great honor of getting know Marks beautiful and brillant children yesterday and was so impressed and proud to call them family. Mark single-handedly did an exceptional job raising these three kids!
We all seem to get so busy and wrapped up in our own little lives to remember that, that little life could be changed in a heart beat. By being a Root I have learned there is no greater honor than to be a part of a family of proud, strong, thick or thin, got-your-back, "blood is thicker than water" group of people. It is up to us, the younger generation to keep this alive and stick together, because like they say, "you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your relitives" And we are bound together, like it or not! We need to retell the stories of Uncle Gene's "bear tooth" and the squirriel baiting musky, and the hundreds of "swear it's true" stories we have all heard over the years, around a game of Sh*t-on-your-neighbor and keep all of those that went before us alive in our memories.
My heart trully breaks for Marks kids and Marks devoted sisters and brothers. This is a road I wish none of us had to travel, but now that we are, I pray you guys lean on the rest of us for support and help, thats what we are here for.
And remember...."We're ROOT's, we're tough"

My prayers and love are with you,
Stacy Root-Gallus
Tarah Louise Trahan

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Sep 19, 2008
I am Mark's niece, daughter of his sister Renee. I will deeply miss Mark. He was one of the few remaining pieces left of the memories of my mother. Jake, Jessi, and Kyle, I am here for you if you need me. I know you probably will. I will keep you in my prayers daily.***Tarah
Jeanie Anderson

Puyallup, WA

#8 Sep 19, 2008
I didn't get to know Mark like I wish I would have. But he was one of the few who always would send me a note on holidays or see me online and start to chat with me. I do know he was very proud of his children. And I am so glad that all the rest of the Roots are there to help them get through this tough time. I am not going to be able to be there for the funeral, but do know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers at this time. Thanks Stacy for your post. There are a lot of memories and those are the things we always need to hang on to..
Miss you all, Jeanie
Boop

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Sep 20, 2008
As a kid Jaime livd with my family and moved with us to Isanti. Mark and the other man both knew Jaime, my daughter, Tiff and a couple others along time. She was a very trusting soul and looked up to these two men as her best friends or big brother types, which is a very tough for a girl or can be a touchy place to be...
Jenna Nelson

Brainerd, MN

#10 Sep 30, 2008
Hey guys-
I miss you all. I hope this message finds you in good faith. When my mom called me to tell me what had happened I didnt believe that it was true. I love your dad and was upset when he my mom split up. I never did get to tell him thank you for having my high school graduation party out there. He was so much fun, but Im telling you anything you dont already know. I hope all is well and that you kids are okay. My mom Im sure is worried about you guys. She didnt keep your photos on the frige all these years for nothing. If you get this email me. [email protected]
I love you and hope your okay
Rhonda Root Fickert

Perham, MN

#11 Nov 1, 2008
R.I.P.Beloved Brother Mark!It is so damn hard to let you go and it hurts so much for us all root family to deal with this especially his kids. But you will be always in our hearts and We love you so much.
Thinking about you everyday.. Your Laughter brings my tears of remembering it. That's you who you are and you are really precious to us all .
I love you and i want to say same for my nephew, Jake, Kyle, and niece, Jessica. and brothers, Mike and Jason. and Sister Jennifer.
Miss you so much, Mark
hugs and so

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McGregor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jun '15 Richard Vickerman 17
News It was Hollie to the rescue (Aug '10) Sep '14 Hollie123123 11
News Minnesota utilites commission advances expansio... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Sylvia 1
Election Who do you support for State House in Minnesota... (Oct '10) Oct '13 officerswife 2
Mark Root Shooting (Sep '08) Sep '13 Jay 7
Debate: Iowa GOP Debate - McGregor, MN (Aug '11) Aug '11 R. Watt 2
News Body of missing McGregor man found in woods (Mar '11) Mar '11 Selena Carrick 4

McGregor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

McGregor Mortgages