Heating licenses and contractors

Heating licenses and contractors

Posted in the McComb Forum

King Heating

#1 Jun 7, 2008
There are many so called companies or individuals that are doing heating and or cooling.
These folks not only lack the right credentials but carry no licenses experiences, EPA cards for refrigerants or insurance.
What is wrong is that homeowners and families can get harmed or killed by these fly by night people.
Some are retired firemen or city workers while others are part timers or general contractors.
When hiring a heating guy or company look at things besides the lowest bidder. Things such as are they a BBB member? Do they have insurance and or experience is this they do for a living or are they just doing it for extra money.
Do they have many years in the trade and are they a full time company.
I would like to see each state pass a law that requires each and every person to have a state license that does heating.
Some cities such as Fostoria give you a so called license but all you have to do is SAY that you are a contractor and show your insurance papers to them.
That is no license it is a registration.
To have a state license you have to
have five years min. experience just prior to taking the test.
Not have been convicted of a felony.
Show proof of insurance $500,000.
Have passed a state exam for HVAC.
Take a small business class.
Take continuing education classes each year and show proof.
There are other requirements such as having to get a FBI background check, that one just passed.
So I say to you, do not go by price alone.
Usually when a person is too much lower corners are cut somewhere and you do not want to cut corners on your families safety.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McComb Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 911 service down in three Putnam County villages 2 hr Bill 1
Looking for Tom Hall any one? Sep '16 serching 1
Review: Bubbles Pet Salon (Jun '15) Aug '16 Candy Desgrange 2
News Honored seniors feel volunteerism is important May '16 Brian b 1
News Johnson Rubber says it won't close (Feb '08) Apr '15 Wentworth 26
Sheriff Jim Beutler (Oct '09) Mar '15 diemerbarb 7
Common Pleas Court-March 4 (Mar '15) Mar '15 Bill Myers 1

McComb Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance