Locals react to Freddy Fender's death

Full story: Themonitor.com

' Friends and colleagues of San Benito native Freddy Fender remembered him Saturday for his musical legacy and his kindness.
Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Nov 3, 2012
Ernie Durawa

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2006

Freddy was a great singer and I was honored to have toured and record with him in the Texas Tornados.
We went to Japan together and he always made sure the back up band got introduced on stage.
He was a class act.Last year he came to play a benefit for my wife who also died of cancer...he had a huge heart.
I will miss him dearly.
God Bless You Brother.
I recommend the DVD of Texas Tornados Austin City Limits performance of 1990 on New West Records...it is Freddy Fender at his best. newwestrecords.com

Ernie Durawa/Drummer/Texas Tornados
amelia rodriguez hopgood

Allen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2006

so sad to hear freddy passed away...loved his music...I always wanted to meet him...I, too, am from the valley..my condolences to his family...I still have some old 8-track tapes of "the best of freddy fender" and, he was THE BEST... a. h. waxahachie, texas
Lilia Barrientes-Puent e

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2006

My deepest condolences to The Huerta Family.
My prayers are with you all in your time of sorrow.
May you find heart felt peace knowing that he is no longer in pain, and that he is watching over you all..singing and laughing as you may have remembered him.

My parents Jesus and Lourdes Barrientes followed him through his career. I remember when he would come to Chicago. My parents were always right there..So proud that he was from San Benito and a distant relative.
May God Bless you all!
Truly,
Lilia Barrientes-Puente
Leo and Feliz Gorny

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2006

Our sincerest condolences to the Huerta Family. Freddy always had a smile on his face, and he always wanted people to be happy. Your music and your smile made us happy Freddy, thank you for sharing that with us. The "last teardrop" that fell was for you. May God embrace you in his bosom forever.
Phoenix, Arizona
Ricardo Barrientes

Bellingham, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2008

My eldest Sister Julieta, knew and were friends (growing up)with Freddy. Before he took him stage name....My Mom and Dad were also friends with Freddy' family.
PS. If you are a Barrientes or relate to me please email me at ricardobarrientes@msn.com there is alot of my family I have not seen for many years or know about. Thank You.
Ricardo Barrientes
Ricardo Barrientes

Bellingham, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2008

Please Forgive, Freddy was a great lost for many of us. He was a great example of success and has left us a legacy of music. I regret not Jamming with him (play music) My best to his Famiyl and Loved ones. RB
Valerie huerta

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2009

I was saddened to hear about his death. When I was 4 or 5 years old I listened to a red 8 track of his all the time....does anyone know what the title of the red 8 track was. Oh by the way, I am 32 yes old so this red track was from 1981 or 1982
Valleygirl

Lake Worth, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2012

I recall Valdemar coming over to my family's grocery store on Biddle Street and strum his guitar while my brothers and cousins listened.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent McAllen Discussions

Search the McAllen Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 7 min fubar 17,122
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 10 min Bob Bakian 21,557
Review: Taqueria De Jalisco No 4 25 min maria 4
Paulino Bernal & Sons (Jun '10) 4 hr Pastor 23
Illegal Aliens Accused of Threatening to Decapi... 10 hr the Light 4
Review: The Peace Pipe 10 hr leo 2
Aid Group: 2 Americans have Ebola in Liberia 12 hr Ibn Natas 1
•••
•••
•••
McAllen Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••