Maysville/Mason County Animal Shelter

Posted in the Maysville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Help

Dayton, OH

#1 Jun 18, 2010
After the last election, when the individuals take their seats in given offices, will they help in any way to improve the horrible conditions out at the animal shelter as some of them promised prior to the election? How come there is such a gap between individuals that wish to help and the ones who are supposed to presently be caring for the animals at the shelter? Visit the horrible, sad shelter and see for yourself the conditions there and how the poor animals are suffering. Things could be better if only the folks would even try to work together for the betterment of the innocent, helpless dogs.
Ted Nugent

San Angelo, TX

#2 Jun 18, 2010
The new policy will be a 2 day adoption window. On the third day any unadopted pets will be target practice for me. No animals will suffer and the place will be a lot more sanitary.
Moron

United States

#3 Jul 5, 2010
Wow Ted you're a real fuck up. The place should try and bathe the animals and let volunteers come in and walk them...socialize them, maybe then they might see the light of day. This towns animal shelter is appalling, there is no attempt whatsoever to find the animals homes. The dogs are left to wallow in their own shit and piss and then killed.
Many questions

United States

#4 Jul 6, 2010
I have also heard of the horrible conditions at the shelter and have tried to help but each time I am turned down, flat out with no, no, no. The warden says all is great there and everyone actually knows the truth....it is not great it is horrible. Why won't the powers that be cooperate with folks who want to help the innocent animals? What is the reason/reasons for not allowing help from the community? Looks like if people are willing to help the animals they would be met with some cooperation from the ones who are in control [really no control] of the facility. If people would band together and really really try to get some help for the poor animals, possibly there would be some constructive results. Is it true that the shelter is heated in winter and in conditioned in summer? I have been told this and I seriously doubt this is true. The first step is getting a dog warden who actually likes dogs and cares for and about them, not someone who is just doing a lousy job to get a paycheck and has absolutely no regard, whatsoever, for the dogs. There are many folks in our county and city that would volunteer and help the animals if they were only allowed to do so. Shame on the ones who are supposed to be caring for the animals at our nasty shelter and wouldn't you think that they would want the outside world to look upon them as caring and compassionate people and not the animals abusers that they really are? The Buffalo Trace Humane Society was formed and what do they actually do for the animals? Please folks, lets try to do something for the poor animals at our filthy, dark, parvo infested pound.
Animal Rights

Maysville, KY

#5 Jul 6, 2010
Contact the United States Humane Society, Washington D.C.

Maybe they can steer you in the right track? It's horrible conditions there, has been for as long as I can remember.

Seems that the local vets would step in to make things right? Of course there's no $$$ involved there for them. Only knowing that they would do the right thing. Go figure?

I was visiting a relative in the nearby apartments once and noticed a truck pull into the shelter. 2 men got out and opened the gate and threw something inside. Out of curiosity I went to see after they had left. 2 half grown cats where tossed into that cage with some dogs. The cats were dangling off of the wire. It was horrendous! I opened the cage door and walked away. And felt good about it!
Thruth Teller

Rogers, KY

#6 Jul 6, 2010
1. The Humain Society of the United States has NO Affiliation with The Humain Society of Buffalo Trace.

2. The Humain Society od Buffalo Trace was given permission to help out at the shelter (I read about it in the paper when they do the article of the county meeting), but I dont think The Humain Society and the shelter have ever started working together for whatever reason.

3. J.T. Williams of Colonial Heights is the Vet that does the euthanizing for the shelter, NONE of the vets at Town N Country will even turn in a bid to do the euthanizing.(I also think J.T. Willians serves on the board of the Humain Society and is releated to Judge Exec. Buddy Gallenstein.)

4. Now having said that and before we all go off half cocked about things, lets think in reality for a minuite. Even if conditions were class A clean at the shelter and the Human Society was do walk the dogs an socialize them for adoption, just how many of theese dogs would actually get adopted? I think I remember readong something in the paper that some 40 to fifty dogs are euthanized a month ( I personally thin that number is a little exaggerated) but back to my point, could they realistically adopt out 20 to 30 dogs a month? I strongly doubt it. And who will pay the bills to keep feeding theese dogs untill they are adopted? With 20 to 30 dogs a month comming in and at best 10 dogs a month being adopted out, t wont take long before the food bill is more then the Sheriff Departments budget. Dont get me wrong I am a huge animal lover, but I have still not heard anyone affer a realistic solution.
Many questions

United States

#7 Jul 7, 2010
Thruth Teller wrote:
1. The Humain Society of the United States has NO Affiliation with The Humain Society of Buffalo Trace.
2. The Humain Society od Buffalo Trace was given permission to help out at the shelter (I read about it in the paper when they do the article of the county meeting), but I dont think The Humain Society and the shelter have ever started working together for whatever reason.
3. J.T. Williams of Colonial Heights is the Vet that does the euthanizing for the shelter, NONE of the vets at Town N Country will even turn in a bid to do the euthanizing.(I also think J.T. Willians serves on the board of the Humain Society and is releated to Judge Exec. Buddy Gallenstein.)
4. Now having said that and before we all go off half cocked about things, lets think in reality for a minuite. Even if conditions were class A clean at the shelter and the Human Society was do walk the dogs an socialize them for adoption, just how many of theese dogs would actually get adopted? I think I remember readong something in the paper that some 40 to fifty dogs are euthanized a month ( I personally thin that number is a little exaggerated) but back to my point, could they realistically adopt out 20 to 30 dogs a month? I strongly doubt it. And who will pay the bills to keep feeding theese dogs untill they are adopted? With 20 to 30 dogs a month comming in and at best 10 dogs a month being adopted out, t wont take long before the food bill is more then the Sheriff Departments budget. Dont get me wrong I am a huge animal lover, but I have still not heard anyone affer a realistic solution.
Wonder just what the reason/reasons are that the BTHS and shelter and those who have control over it do not work together? I have been told that insurance is one blocking point and this could be easily taken care of if that is true. I would think that the ones affiliated with the BTHS would want progress at our shelter and not just have their names attached to some sort of titles that mean absolutely squat. One would think our mayor and his sister who is on the BTHS board would want what is best for the animals at the shelter and not have them suffer like they are presently doing. You ask how many dogs would be adopted even if the shelter was clean. A great start would be to follow the examples of surrounding pounds/shelters: for example the Bracken Co. Shelter and the great job Pat Taylor has done there. The Georgetown, Ohio shelter used to be absolutely horrid with all sizes of dogs, male and female, sick, puppies, all ages being put in cages together with fights breaking out and puppies actually being eaten by the other dogs. With the cooperation of county commissioners, volunteers, the humane society and many others this facility is now top-notch with fosters, transports adoption days at the facility [where they are actually proud of the way it looks and how their animals are treated] and other programs in place. The Rowan County [Morehead] pound works cooperatively with a group, STAR [Saving the Animals of Rowan County] and few dogs are put down. With a fostering program, transporting, vetting and donations that come in for crates, Kuranda beds for the dogs, vetting and boarding, the dogs are given a chance for forever homes and when at the pound, it is clean and decent. One big reason is that their dog warden loves dogs and he works for their welfare not just for his paycheck. These are just a few examples of how our pound could be turned around if only those that be would cooperate and work together with the folks who are willing to help the dogs. As for the food bill....grants are available, pleas for donations for the public to help and even some dog food companies will donate food to shelters. The street dogs down in Mexico fare better than our dogs here and they are almost run completely through a program, ZAPP, from volunteers...even the vets....transporting and donations.
Many questions

United States

#8 Jul 7, 2010
Thruth Teller wrote:
One would think that our humane society would put forth an effort into programs to help the dogs and not just put a bunch of nothings on their website. What do they really do for the dogs? There have been some to pull out of the humane society because there was nothing actually being done for the dogs and all of their efforts to help were ignored. What a shame that Maysville/Mason County has this dirty spot on our reputation and will not put forth any effort to help the animals. Sick dogs, many in pain and suffering do not get proper medical care, even if they will be put down. Dogs do have feelings and it is up to humans to care for them properly. How about when a dog is lost from a loved family and it ends up at the pound and not enough days are given for the owners to even go there to find their pet. Put down way too quickly is the result most of the time. The expense is great but nothing has been done to actually put programs in place that will generate money over and beyond what the budget calls for. It is time for the ones who think they are so important to step up and actually do something for the dogs. Possibly a TV station would help jump start something if they were to come in and show the country just what Maysville/Mason County does to innocent dogs. A big thanks to those who do put forth efforts to help our pound.....and the result?????? Nothing, for the dog warden, judge executive and whoever else will not cooperate the dogs are still suffering.
Maysville

Maysville, KY

#9 Jul 7, 2010
Roger Mulligan has been over the dog shelter for years. The last time I encountered him at the shelter he was very rude and far from friendly; it made me not even want to look to see what was available for adoption. When Jim Chandler was down there he seemed to care about the animals, the new man seemed nice.
I also think it would help if these dogs received some help from volunteers. I know it would not keep all of them from being put down but it would help some. Have you even been in there and seen the shape some of these animals are in? I'm sure they are dropped that way but baths and some socialazation would go a long way.
Why not allow someone to come in there and start posting adoptions on pet.org ? I'm sure someone would volunteer.
Has someone ever see nthe shelter in Lexington? I know Lexington is alot bigger town but their shelter is like a hotel for dogs and cats compared to Maysvilles death hole.
I
mom

Maysville, KY

#10 Jul 7, 2010
to all that are concerned form a group together go to the next fiscal court meeting....call ahead to be placed on the agenda ask and demand answers..one new commish has been elected and another has competion in November...together as one good can come....we all love our pets....
animallover

United States

#11 Jul 8, 2010
I adopted three dogs from the shelter and found them homes within two days with online ads. They were bathed and wormed....those two very simple things go a long way. I've thought many times of writing to a news station about the conditions at the shelter...I don't see how there can be such a contrast between the Mascon County Hell Hole and the Paris Shelter. I was told at the Paris Animal Shelter that over 90% of their dogs are adopted. The fact is nothing will change unless people stand up and take action...not just talk about it. The man who runs the pound is disgusting, he obviously hates animals. When I adopted my dog he picked up the other dogs and threw them at the back of the cage, the puppy was still crying in pain as I walked out to my car.
Many questions

United States

#12 Jul 8, 2010
animallover wrote:
I adopted three dogs from the shelter and found them homes within two days with online ads. They were bathed and wormed....those two very simple things go a long way. I've thought many times of writing to a news station about the conditions at the shelter...I don't see how there can be such a contrast between the Mascon County Hell Hole and the Paris Shelter. I was told at the Paris Animal Shelter that over 90% of their dogs are adopted. The fact is nothing will change unless people stand up and take action...not just talk about it. The man who runs the pound is disgusting, he obviously hates animals. When I adopted my dog he picked up the other dogs and threw them at the back of the cage, the puppy was still crying in pain as I walked out to my car.
Oh my goodness!!! How could you have left that horrible place with that puppy still crying? I don't mean to down you or anything, but I just don't think I could have stood it and I know it must have been so hard on you. Did you report this incident to authorities? Especially Judge Gallenstein as he is the warden's boss. As if that would have made any difference! Please follow through with your thoughts of contacting a TV/news station, be it Cincinnati or Lexington. Several people have spoken to me about doing the same thing and I think I will, also. I am sure they would delight in reporting this type of abuse that our shelter is in and the people who run it.....or lack of running it. The Rowan County Animal Shelter is commendable and they do a great job, especially their dog loving warden and the Saving the Animals of Rowan County [STAR] group. As I have previously stated, they work with one another and the public donates funds to their various needs....crates, supplies, transporting, fostering, boarding, vetting and much, much more. This pound even vets animals in need, be it large or small all on the faith of the public giving donations and the ones who donate regularly. Animals taken in are immediately vetted, vaccinated and wormed and most of the time they are heartworm tested. I donate to the Rowan Shelter and would donate generously to our Mason County shelter if efforts were made to improve our Mason Shelter. I agree, people need to stand up and take action and band together. With the new commissioner and the upcoming election, possibly we could contact them and beg them for some help. I have been told that the dog warden even rejected offers of donations of the Kuranda pet beds so the poor dogs would not have to lay on the hard concrete. He said they were too hard to clean. They do not even have to be removed when cleaning the pens and are used in almost 99% of animal shelters across the country. But, no, not Mason County! Just what hold does this dog warden have over the judge? Just pray that we can, as one, get some help for the dogs and our terrible, sad, dirty shelter will improve. What is the Humane Society going to do with the building they had donated to them? Why don't they step forward and put some pressure on the ones that have the power to make shelter improvements?
fido

United States

#13 Jul 8, 2010
Untill you get someone directly in charge of the dog pound who takes a special interest in adopting out dogs there will be NO change in the Mason County dog pound. Roger does his job in that he takes care of the population of dogs. That is his job and he does that. If dogs are to be adopted out they must be showcased in some way,via internet,at the pound or at some designated time and place on a regular basis with notification to the public.Dogs do have fellings(physical and mental) contrary to the belief of a lot of people. Maybe at some time more dogs will find homes but not untill there is a change in attitude of the Judge Executive and the Warden.
Cat killa dog destroyer

United States

#14 Jul 8, 2010
WAKE UP u goofy tree hugging commies! We have people in this economy who can't eat or feed kids bc of no job. The roads around here are bumpier and lumpier than John edwards' wife elizabeth's titty! Who gives a rats a$$ about the dog hut. Get a life and wake up u fools. Shoot em all and put em outa their missery.
You are an idiot

United States

#15 Jul 8, 2010
Cat killa dog destroyer wrote:
WAKE UP u goofy tree hugging commies! We have people in this economy who can't eat or feed kids bc of no job. The roads around here are bumpier and lumpier than John edwards' wife elizabeth's titty! Who gives a rats a$$ about the dog hut. Get a life and wake up u fools. Shoot em all and put em outa their missery.
You certainly qualify for a complete idiot, out-of-your-mind freak who has no heart whatsoever. This particular topic is about the Maysville/Mason County Animal Shelter not the economy of our country, hungry kids, no jobs, bumpy roads......IT IS ABOUT THE ANIMAL SHELTER!!!! If you wish to start a topic regarding any of the topics you so elaborately wrote about then by all means do so. You are gross, hard-hearted, insane, cruel, trashy talking and obscene, to place just a few adjectives to your ignorant self. Maybe you should be the one to be shot and our entire planet would be a whole lot better off without the likes of you and your ignorance. You sure sound like an animal abuser, and more than likely are a child abuser, wife [if you even have one] abuser and just an all around no-good slob who can only get attention with negativity and have no desire to help any situation that needs attention and help. The ones who have compassion toward animals do have a life, one with concern for God's creatures and one filled with remorse that there are scum on this earth such as yourself and the very fact that you are wasting the air that you breath. Furthermore, if you are going to post, do the commenting in the appropriate subject, learn to spell, and try to use decent language and not gutter talk nor make fun of someone who is dealing with cancer, like Elizabeth Edwards. Now that you have given all that read your comment, know that they are laughing at you, making fun of your insane comment and have to face the fact that ones such as yourself do actually exist among us.
Very true

Danielsville, GA

#16 Jul 9, 2010
I have more important things to worry about than someone elses dog problem! Give it up people you cant control this so give it a rest! In mason county alone i am sure there is about 50 dogs giving birth on this very day with about 8-10 pups per mom. All of which will end up at the shelter! Now please tell me how we can control this problem! WE CANT! Its not the dog pounds fault its the humans who do not get there dogs fixed. STUPID US HUH?

“WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND”

Since: May 10

NONE YA

#17 Jul 9, 2010
This is my personal feelings about an Animal Shelter.
A person should be responsible for their own pets. You should have your dogs or cats neutered or spade. I don't think we should have to pay ...with our tax dollars...... to take on irresponsible pet owners responsibility.
I take care of my pets at my expense.
I would much rather have my tax dollar spent on something to help a child or a need in the community.
Make pet owners responsible. Not tax payers
Obvious

United States

#18 Jul 9, 2010
A shelter isn't a need in a community? I'm glad you believe that people should their pets neutered or spade(spayed). Unfortunately for animals people don't take responsibility for proper vet care of their animals, similarly people a lot of times don't take care of their children or selves IE: welfare. Mulligan is a shit dog warden, anyone with eyes can see that based on all of the surrounding shelters.
Responsible pet owner

United States

#19 Jul 9, 2010
scoophoops wrote:
This is my personal feelings about an Animal Shelter.
A person should be responsible for their own pets. You should have your dogs or cats neutered or spade. I don't think we should have to pay ...with our tax dollars...... to take on irresponsible pet owners responsibility.
I take care of my pets at my expense.
I would much rather have my tax dollar spent on something to help a child or a need in the community.
Make pet owners responsible. Not tax payers
I agree, everyone should be responsible for their own pets but there are way too many ignorant, uncaring, abusive people who get a pet, then just let it go and do not care for it properly and that includes spaying and neutering. Just because some idiots do not properly care for their pets does not mean I do not have compassion for the innocent animals at their uncaring owner's expense. I am willing and glad to help out other's pets and there are many out there that feel the exact same way. We take great responsibility for our pet who is very much loved and a part of our family and we also donate to other shelters and/or pet organizations. A decent animal shelter is indeed a need of our community.
Responsible pet owner

United States

#20 Jul 9, 2010
Very true wrote:
I have more important things to worry about than someone elses dog problem! Give it up people you cant control this so give it a rest! In mason county alone i am sure there is about 50 dogs giving birth on this very day with about 8-10 pups per mom. All of which will end up at the shelter! Now please tell me how we can control this problem! WE CANT! Its not the dog pounds fault its the humans who do not get there dogs fixed. STUPID US HUH?
This is the main problem with our present animal shelter....the uncaring, unconcerned and selfish people such as yourself would just rather give it all up as it now stands and look the other way. Thank God there are people who are concerned and are trying to come up with some help for the poor, innocent dogs. We can at least try to correct the problem and not just be negative regarding it. To each their own though and everyone has the right to their opinion. I favor a compassionate individual, one who cares and is concerned and tries to solve the problem to one like you who just wishes to be negative and mouth, "Oh let's just give up." If the judge executive and the useless dog warden would let groups, volunteers, etc. into the pound and help, the dogs could be listed on Petfinder.com and many would be adopted and there would not be as many dogs to feed at any given time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maysville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trisha stidham 2 hr Jane woo 1
What happened with David staggs 2 hr Terry 17
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr ChromiuMan 156,423
Trump 4 hr okimar 54
6gamesuspension 4 hr yes 6
Concerned Friend 9 hr The Devil 6
Maysville water plant 16 hr Grumper 2

Maysville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Maysville Mortgages