Next Last
Anonymous

United States

#1 Jul 20, 2012
Whats your oppinion
Anonymous

Lenoir City, TN

#2 Jul 20, 2012
My "oppinion" is that you can't spell opinion. As for the Fire department they are really cool when your house is on fire. However I must say that my whole concept of fireman was wrong. I grew up thinking they went around burning things. My mamma used to say to me, "dumbass if you don't take a bath I'm going to call the fireman!" I lived in fear that a fireman was going to come set fire to me. Then one day our house caught on fire. Mamma yelled for me to call the firemen. I picked up the phone and dialed the number but I was much too smart for this. I gave them the wrong address.
Anonymous

United States

#3 Jul 20, 2012
My opinion is, maybe its a little harder to type on a droid keypad sometimes. Also I was a member of that dept for over 3 years, never know this mispelling idiot helped you in a time of need. Think before you speak.
Anonymous

Loudon, TN

#4 Jul 21, 2012
Did you blow the fires out?
a thought

United States

#6 Jul 22, 2012
Why not leave the fire department alone? There are good hard working ppl that are there. Give them respect.
Anonymous

United States

#7 Jul 22, 2012
a thought wrote:
Why not leave the fire department alone? There are good hard working ppl that are there. Give them respect.
Thank you! But you would not believe what we/ that dept is used to from the public.
a thought

United States

#8 Jul 23, 2012
Trust me when I say I know.

“Working for a better life”

Since: Jul 12

Maynardville Tennessee

#9 Jul 23, 2012
If there is anything SIRT Signs can do to help the fire department stop in and let us know.
help out

Knoxville, TN

#14 Aug 1, 2012
With the county school system getting 90% of the money for the county,I say let's help out by DONATING money to the Fire Dept you live close to.
An example: If 5,000 ppl live near Maynardville Fire Dept. and they all donated just $20 each,well,,,,isn't that $100,000.00??? Just look at what kind of things could be done with that money.
I'd be willing to donate that much,as we all know most ppl blow $20 on nonsense stuff every week.
So fire depts...count the people in your distric,ASK every home to donate $20 and see what you get.
But,of course,most ppl won't donate ,as they DO NOT CARE until their house is burning.
Firewire

United States

#15 Aug 1, 2012
I don't have any problem with volunteer fire depts as long as they are accountable simply because they are funded by govt on a partial level.
Bonnie Tebelman

Sevierville, TN

#16 Aug 1, 2012
help out wrote:
With the county school system getting 90% of the money for the county,I say let's help out by DONATING money to the Fire Dept you live close to.
An example: If 5,000 ppl live near Maynardville Fire Dept. and they all donated just $20 each,well,,,,isn't that $100,000.00??? Just look at what kind of things could be done with that money.
I'd be willing to donate that much,as we all know most ppl blow $20 on nonsense stuff every week.
So fire depts...count the people in your distric,ASK every home to donate $20 and see what you get.
But,of course,most ppl won't donate ,as they DO NOT CARE until their house is burning.
Some eople do not make enough to pay their own bills. It is not that they won't donate it is a point that they can not afford t. As you know the cost of living has sky rocketed and the forcast is for prices to increase.When your pay doesn't increase and eveything else does you have to make choices. Pay your bills buy food, have money to pay for gas and clothes. Why not cut the schools so they do not eat up most of our tax dollars. There is not nough left to give anyone anyting.
DavidCaresNot

United States

#17 Aug 1, 2012
Heres the thing people. I as well was I fire fighter for around 3 years with paulette, great dept, amazing people that would and literatly have given the shirt off their back for strangers. They never went to a subscription, no matter how bad things got in the old days because "we dont wanna charge people who cant afford it". Well I respect that and so should you because they put every dime donated to extremely good use. For instance, last year they sent a good number of people to fire school, which means that many more members will be there EVERY time you need them, even when its because your to lazy to get out of your car to move a small twig in the road. They are a very fine group of people.

As for the other depts I dont know a whole lot about them or how they run their stations but keep in mind. They, myself included once upon a time, donate HUNDREDS of hours and more often then you would think MONTHS at a time for no compensation other then knowing they help the people that swear at the fire trucks when they get there for not getting there fast enough, or get sued by when they cant save shit thats already burnt when 911 is called.

Thats time they could be with their families, or working over time to pay the bills they cant afford because they rather be helping you then them self.

And finally, ANY donations to a VOLUNTEER dept cant help more then you know. Even a dollar goes a long way. Please support your local fire dept you never know when they might have to shut down, then where is the next closest station to you id bet far enough to make a huge difference.

They give enough, maybe its time they start getting instead.
Firewire

United States

#19 Aug 1, 2012
Then they won't mind showing their books. All gov't funded entities are required by state law to reveal their records upon written request. That would include all donations, in kind hours, etc. Excepting govt.funding comes means a higher level of accountability.
Firewire

United States

#20 Aug 1, 2012
All volunteer firefighters should keep good records of all donated time and purchases made on behalf of a dept. These measures help volunteer depts with funding and grants. Funders are highly interested in depts who demonstrate good measurables, the ability to track and who practice good accounting practices. Management dictates how well depts take care of their business.
info

Knoxville, TN

#21 Aug 1, 2012
Bonnie Tebelman wrote:
<quoted text> Some eople do not make enough to pay their own bills. It is not that they won't donate it is a point that they can not afford t. As you know the cost of living has sky rocketed and the forcast is for prices to increase.When your pay doesn't increase and eveything else does you have to make choices. Pay your bills buy food, have money to pay for gas and clothes. Why not cut the schools so they do not eat up most of our tax dollars. There is not nough left to give anyone anyting.
I've not worked since Feb.,but IF it would keep my fire dept open I would give a one time donation of $20,,,no matter what. That's one week I would go without cigarettes,or a couple beers,or take my family to McDonalds. ONE TIME,I would be willing to donate,won't you? If everyone did,,it would be amazing !!!
Use too

Kingston, TN

#22 Aug 2, 2012
i use to be a volunteer fireman. but had to give it up because of health reasons.I wasn't with Paulette thou i was with a other volunteer fire department for a long time. but i still try to give to them every time i see them out there.
peaceful

Ooltewah, TN

#23 Aug 2, 2012
I think they are great to have around and I donate when asked but just wondering our local department goes to these fire fighting competitions, who pays for that? Not that it's a huge deal, maybe they learn something as well just wondering.
DavidCaresNot

United States

#24 Aug 2, 2012
Firewire wrote:
All volunteer firefighters should keep good records of all donated time and purchases made on behalf of a dept. These measures help volunteer depts with funding and grants. Funders are highly interested in depts who demonstrate good measurables, the ability to track and who practice good accounting practices. Management dictates how well depts take care of their business.
Though im not sure where your going with this I can assure that they put every penny to good use and every hour is tracked, as a matter fact between one other firefighter and myself we logged over 150 hours a month and often much more staying on staff for entire months at a time.

They are not the kind of people to waste a cent, they are VERY capable of manageing that dept.
DavidCaresNot

United States

#25 Aug 2, 2012
info wrote:
<quoted text>
I've not worked since Feb.,but IF it would keep my fire dept open I would give a one time donation of $20,,,no matter what. That's one week I would go without cigarettes,or a couple beers,or take my family to McDonalds. ONE TIME,I would be willing to donate,won't you? If everyone did,,it would be amazing !!!
I dont know about over depts but if every one in paulettes area donated 1 dollar, thats less then most people lose in thier couch, or throw in their cup holder in their car never to see again, it would be well over 60,000 if I remember right. Thats quite a bit of money on a once a year level. Personally I dont see ANYONE not being able to afford that. specially when members even donate and tell them people just dropped it off.
DavidCaresNot

United States

#26 Aug 2, 2012
peaceful wrote:
I think they are great to have around and I donate when asked but just wondering our local department goes to these fire fighting competitions, who pays for that? Not that it's a huge deal, maybe they learn something as well just wondering.
As Ive said idk about anyone but paulette but alot of times its up to the members going to raise the money, as for the one held at wilson park im decently sure its done completely free, but that part im not entirely sure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maynardville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The world is better off without Trayvon Martin 55 min fat man 4
shannon breeden ? (Dec '13) 1 hr kacie 4
Radio Stations 9 hr Just Saying 58
Corey Coffey 23 hr Brenden Murphy 3
Cop at Free Fellowship Pentescostal Church Mon Tired of cop haters 5
jason buckner (Dec '12) Mar 23 Curious and conce... 11
Amanda lock Mar 22 Donny Lock 4

Maynardville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance