Too many Minnesota schools are barely...

Too many Minnesota schools are barely hanging on; state infusion needed

There are 5 comments on the MinnPost.com story from Dec 8, 2009, titled Too many Minnesota schools are barely hanging on; state infusion needed. In it, MinnPost.com reports that:

An injured swimmer can either sink or stay afloat. In some cases, the best he can do is hold steady.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MinnPost.com.

TheMaster

United States

#1 Dec 9, 2009
Maybe a group that doesn't work for 3 months in the summer and has another 6 weeks off on top of that plus throw in a 6.5 hour workday, isn't underpaid. Overpaid? Probably.
Currently Teaching

Albert Lea, MN

#2 Mar 17, 2010
You have no idea the work that teachers do. A 6.5 hour workday? You are only looking at the amount of time that teachers spend with students. Even WITH some class preparation time before and during the school day, teachers spend numerous hours preparing lessons, materials, and their classrooms, doing paperwork, planning (themselves and with other teachers), reading and research, and even making materials themselves for their jobs. As a teacher, myself, I usually put in 12, even 14-hour days, arriving at school before 7:00 in the morning and leaving school after 7:00 at night; the exceptions to those long days are few. I end up putting in a year's worth of work time in those 9 months of school. Many teachers, myself included, take work home with them so that they can spend some time with their families.

Do you even read or hear the reports about teachers leaving the classrooms because of burnout? Those reports aren't made up. Yes there are some teachers who don't put the time in, but if you look more closely, you will see the truly dedicated teachers who make notable sacrifices in their lives for their love of teaching.
Fact Face it

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Mar 18, 2010
Obama just gave Mn Schools billions in His 1st WASTRFUL Stimulus handout. St Paul public Schools pocketed over 900, million.. When are people going to understand that these Public Schools are a Cancer in America. Extra Funding never goes to the Kids, it goes right in to the pockets of the Union [Education Minnesota] for wage and benefit increases. Look what 50 years of public education has done to this Country! And for YOU Crybaby Teachers, No one held a gun to your head and made you take a Government job teaching, You did it for your own GREED! and may I say YOU suck at Teaching. Kids now days can't even make change for on a Dollar, But they all know about polar bears and global warming. YOU FAILED with your America sucks Teaching!
Inaccurate Fact - Face It

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Mar 18, 2010
No, Fact Face it, the teachers only failed with you!

If you would have learned to do a little research, you'd note that, according to figures published by the Star Trib on 11/8/09, the total stimulus dollars allocated to public schools of the entire STATE of MN was only $643MM.

Get your 'facts' straight.
reed

Duluth, MN

#5 Mar 18, 2010
teachers unions scrap em

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maynard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In western Minnesota town of Dawson, a Muslim d... Aug '17 non homo pheobie 9
News In a Midwestern town that went for Trump, a Mus... Jul '17 Listen to the Word 1
Election Who do you support for State Senate in Minnesot... (Nov '10) Aug '16 matt 4
News Rural Minnesota district wants to keep 4-day week (Feb '15) Feb '15 suzyqsiewert 1
missing dog (Mar '12) Mar '12 Kellyjo6546 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Nov '10 DJ 4
News Man calls in own crime, triggers manhunt in Chi... (Aug '10) Aug '10 The real - NICE 6

Maynard Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Maynard Mortgages