Provoked by fuel prices

For a while during this two-year run-up in fuel prices, it seemed as if demand were inelastic. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Big G

Hudson, WI

#1 May 14, 2008
What actions can be taken that would quickly drop the price of oil?
Would a tax on the oil companies help?
Would making less land available for exploration and drilling help?
Would growing more corn help?
How about more regulatory mandates? Would that help?
How about a windfall profits tax? Surely that would help.
I know! Let's punish the oil company execs. That will really work!

These are the options we've been handed. Notice there's nothing being done to increase the supply of petroleum. In fact, it appears that most of people in power are working overtime to decrease the supply. We must rid ourselves of the addiction to oil, so let's see how we can decrease the supply, and consequently explode prices.

Let's not forget that other countries are competing more heavily for the same gallon of gas.
WoW

Minneapolis, MN

#2 May 14, 2008
The Democrats come into power and removed any possibility that there would be any drilling for our own oil in ANWR and off the coast of Florida and Kalifornia. OPEC sees this and know they can raise the price of oil as high as they want.
It's time to contact both Senators and your Representative and demand they allow oil exploration and drilling in these places as well reducing regulations to allow the addition of nuclear power plants and more refineries.
It is time for them to start caring more about tax payers and those that elected them than for a few caribou in a vast waste land and the enviromentalists that oppose progress.
Just the hint of allowing drilling in ANWR will cause the increase in oil prices to stop.
MinnCynic

Saint Paul, MN

#3 May 14, 2008
One school policy actually increases the amount of gas used. There is a state law that says schools must provide free busing to students who live more than two miles from their school. School districts used to also provide free busing to students who lived closer than two miles but could not walk to school safely. In our Minnesota winters, most reasonable people do not expect young kids to walk over a mile to school, especially if there are no sidewalks and the kids must cross major roads. The school districts have taken to using the fact that they are not required to provide free busing to students who live nearer than two miles as a way to gouge money from parents. Now they charge for bus service within two miles! Naturally parents have learned how to game this system. You request that your child attend a school that is further than two miles away. Then your kid rides a free bus. This system rewards parents for using a long bus ride and charges them for using a short bus ride. This law should be changed but since fighting with the schools is like opposing the mafia it won't be.

TNR

Since: Apr 08

Minneapolis, MN

#4 May 14, 2008
Good for the school district, thinking outside the box. I appalled the school district for the actions they are taking. Instead of complaining about the gas crisis they looked at it and decided "we're going to use less of it" It's these kinds of measure that will do more to lower gas prices than drilling for more oil.

I'm sure this type of action has to scare the oil executive more than anything our government is doing

TNR

Since: Apr 08

Minneapolis, MN

#5 May 14, 2008
WoW wrote:
The Democrats come into power and removed any possibility that there would be any drilling for our own oil in ANWR and off the coast of Florida and Kalifornia. OPEC sees this and know they can raise the price of oil as high as they want.
It's time to contact both Senators and your Representative and demand they allow oil exploration and drilling in these places as well reducing regulations to allow the addition of nuclear power plants and more refineries.

It is time for them to start caring more about tax payers and those that elected them than for a few caribou in a vast waste land and the enviromentalists that oppose progress.
Just the hint of allowing drilling in ANWR will cause the increase in oil prices to stop.
I'll start writing my senator and representative on this as soon as I see the American Taxpayer act responsible and live within there mean. Lessoning this crisis starts with conservation first more drilling second.

In reality if we started drilling for oil in ANWR and off the coasts of Florida and California how soon would we see relief at the pump? We still have to convert that oil to gas and the last I checked the oil companies haven't built new refineries in a while. So I don't see how pumping more oil into the refineries when they are already at capacity is going to help this situation.
Capitalist

Minneapolis, MN

#6 May 14, 2008
TNR- don't blame the oil companies for not building any new refineries. You can bet they'd build them if the environmentalists would let them. It's government regulation that keeps us from expanding our refining capacity, not a lack of capital investment by the oil companies.
MN Jeff

Saint Paul, MN

#7 May 14, 2008
TNR wrote:
Good for the school district, thinking outside the box. I appalled the school district for the actions they are taking. Instead of complaining about the gas crisis they looked at it and decided "we're going to use less of it" It's these kinds of measure that will do more to lower gas prices than drilling for more oil.
I'm sure this type of action has to scare the oil executive more than anything our government is doing
You "appalled" the school district, huh?
Sen Amy K

United States

#8 May 14, 2008
Instead of real solutions like drilling for domestic oil, I offered a scam and you folks bought.

I chosed releasing the oil reserves and stopping tax breaks for oil companies. Because now the oil companies will charge you more to make up for us stopping tax breaks.

Brilliant-huh?
whatever

Saint Paul, MN

#9 May 14, 2008
Instead of invading countries, why doesn't our military just invade the oil companies and take them over? If corporations want to be treated like individuals, they should have to take the good with the bad. We could set our own prices and make billions of dollars. Now that's a war I could get behind. It would only take a handful of soldiers.

Calm down people...I'm kidding. Sort of.
RAW

Rogers, MN

#10 May 14, 2008
TNR wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll start writing my senator and representative on this as soon as I see the American Taxpayer act responsible and live within there mean. Lessoning this crisis starts with conservation first more drilling second.
In reality if we started drilling for oil in ANWR and off the coasts of Florida and California how soon would we see relief at the pump? We still have to convert that oil to gas and the last I checked the oil companies haven't built new refineries in a while. So I don't see how pumping more oil into the refineries when they are already at capacity is going to help this situation.
How soon would you see relief? Almost immediately. Oil prices are driven by speculation. Will there be a shortage, excess... The concept of just saying "The US will begin exploration in ANWAR and off the coast with anticipated drilling to begin in 2010." This will drive the price down. If added to this was approval for refining capacity to be increased by X% through the construction of additional plants would also help.
Although I know we need to look for additional, reliable energy sources. Let us have what work for now until these new sources become economically feasible and do not require the tax payer to carry them along through obscene credits and subsidies.
Eastsider

United States

#11 May 14, 2008
Capitalist wrote:
TNR- don't blame the oil companies for not building any new refineries. You can bet they'd build them if the environmentalists would let them. It's government regulation that keeps us from expanding our refining capacity, not a lack of capital investment by the oil companies.
Why would the oil companies want to build new refineries? Currently they are making obscene profits, why would they want make less profit?
Soylent Red

Saint Paul, MN

#12 May 14, 2008
Things don't look to good for you people.
Red Ryder

Monroe, LA

#13 May 14, 2008
***Will Media Remember Gore's 1994 Tie-breaking Vote Mandating Ethanol?***

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/20...

As the international disaster of ethanol begins taking its toll on the planet -- and, maybe more important, as press outlet after press outlet finally begins recognizing it -- will media remember that Vice President Al Gore cast the tie-breaking vote in the Senate requiring this oxygenate be added to gasoline?
After all, regardless of recent reports blaming ethanol for world hunger problems, rising food costs, and increased greenhouse gases, it seems highly unlikely green media will want to tie any of these problems to Nobel Laureate Gore.
Yet, as inconveniently reported by States News Service on August 3, 1994 (no link available, emphasis added throughout):

In a move that enraged midwestern senators, Louisiana Democratic Sen. Bennett Johnston tried Wednesday to prevent the Environmental Protection Agency from mandating the use of ethanol in reformulated gasoline. The Senate narrowly killed the measure, voting to table it by a margin of 51 to 50. With the vote tied, Vice President Al Gore had to come in and cast the deciding vote.[...]
" This is really a gigantic flim flam to the American public," Johnston said.[...]

For those interested, here's how the New York Times reported the news (emphasis added):
With a tie-breaking vote by Vice President Al Gore, the Senate upheld today an Environmental Protection Agency rule requiring that ethanol and other renewable fuels get a share of the gasoline additives market.
The Senate voted 51-50 to table an amendment that would have denied financing to the agency to carry out a rule guaranteeing renewable fuels a 15 percent share of the lucrative fuel oxygenate market in 1995. That share rises to 30 percent in following years.

“whatalongstrange tripitsbeen ”

Since: Feb 08

Minneapolis

#14 May 14, 2008
WoW wrote:
Oil is a dead end road. we all know it. so why keep driving down a dead end road. Everyone gettting their panties in a knot about anwr, well guess what. A. it will take 15 years for oil drilled their to get into our gas tanks and B. there is only enough oil there for a few years time. We need to invest time and money and effort in alternative energies. I'm all for cold fusion.
Red Ryder

Monroe, LA

#15 May 14, 2008
***Brazil Oil Finds May End Reliance on Middle East***

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f...

***Brazilian oil discovery could be the start of good tidings for West***

http://www.resourceinvestor.com/pebble.asp...

The only question is, can the idiots in Congress stop this production??

out of the 20 million per day we use, only 2 million comes from the middle east. So we can just look at replacing what we get from there, we donít want to cut off purchases from Canada for example.

http://www.sustainer.org/dhm_archive/index.ph...

Bakken Oil Formation

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp...

1,000 feet beneath Montanaís soil lies one of the largest oil reserves in the world...

Itís 5.3X the proven reserves of Exxon, Gazprom, Chevron and ConocoPhillips combined... Twice the size of Saudi Arabiaís Ghawar oil field...

whatever

Saint Paul, MN

#16 May 14, 2008
Forget about oil...give me an electric car. We all like to believe we live in the holy "Free Market" while the oil companies continue to stifle the production of gasless vehicles. Watch the documentary "who killed the electric car?" We were so close to avoiding this problem completely.
Red Ryder

Monroe, LA

#17 May 14, 2008
Anyone want to buy my 300 mile-per-gallon carburetor? I've just had it sitting around since I bought it from GM in the 50's.

(Paypal and local pick up only)
Sen Amy K

Stillwater, MN

#18 May 14, 2008
77deadhead wrote:
<quoted text>
Oil is a dead end road. we all know it. so why keep driving down a dead end road. Everyone gettting their panties in a knot about anwr, well guess what. A. it will take 15 years for oil drilled their to get into our gas tanks and B. there is only enough oil there for a few years time. We need to invest time and money and effort in alternative energies. I'm all for cold fusion.
ANWR is not the only thing. We have offshore drilling as well. Oil shales and coal. Dems say no to all of it.

And were did you pull that 15 yrs from, never mind don't tell me.
WJH

Saint Paul, MN

#19 May 14, 2008
whatever wrote:
Forget about oil...give me an electric car. We all like to believe we live in the holy "Free Market" while the oil companies continue to stifle the production of gasless vehicles. Watch the documentary "who killed the electric car?" We were so close to avoiding this problem completely.
Whatever we already have electric cars and bikes. Go out and buy one; http://www.zapworld.com/
I drove the ZAP pickup, it's basically a glorified golf cart using gel cells or lead acid type batteries. Ok for light duty use but I think you'd be doing a lot of pushing in the winter.

I also test rode the BionX electric bike system, http://www.bionx.ca/index.php...
This is a good system with a range of up to 65 miles, with "pedal assistance". PL-350 model uses Lithium Ion.

The problem with electrics is the battery and range issue. The best batteries Lithium Ion are quite expensive and still don't have enough of range most people find useful. They also do not tolerate really cold tempentures like we get in the winter.

The argument is not who killed the electric car, you should ask who didn't support it and who's not supporting it now.

Oil is hard to beat, it's no wonder most of the world economies run on it.

For me, I'll stick with my bike
WJH

Saint Paul, MN

#20 May 14, 2008
Red Ryder wrote:
***Brazil Oil Finds May End Reliance on Middle East***
http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f...
***Brazilian oil discovery could be the start of good tidings for West***
http://www.resourceinvestor.com/pebble.asp...
The only question is, can the idiots in Congress stop this production??
out of the 20 million per day we use, only 2 million comes from the middle east. So we can just look at replacing what we get from there, we donít want to cut off purchases from Canada for example.
http://www.sustainer.org/dhm_archive/index.ph...
Bakken Oil Formation
http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp...
1,000 feet beneath Montanaís soil lies one of the largest oil reserves in the world...
Itís 5.3X the proven reserves of Exxon, Gazprom, Chevron and ConocoPhillips combined... Twice the size of Saudi Arabiaís Ghawar oil field...
This is good news, my fear is so many want to jump ship off oil overnight and go with renewables or alternatives even before they make economic sense. Our everyday lives and economy depend on so much on oil and to just get rid of it is pure economic suicide.

As I've said before, if oil is discovered in my back yard, I'll be the 1st one out there with a shovel.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maynard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
missing dog (Mar '12) Mar '12 Kellyjo6546 1
Who do you support for State Senate in Minnesot... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Ben 3
Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Nov '10 DJ 4
Man calls in own crime, triggers manhunt in Chi... (Aug '10) Aug '10 The real - NICE 6
Too many Minnesota schools are barely hanging o... (Dec '09) Mar '10 reed 5
Southwestern Minnesota school districts look in... (Feb '09) Feb '09 CamCam 3
School District Adopts 4-Day School Week (Jun '08) Jan '09 Becky 28
Maynard Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Maynard People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Maynard News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Maynard

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]