Back to school: Shaky economy hits kids

Back to school: Shaky economy hits kids

There are 3 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Aug 18, 2008, titled Back to school: Shaky economy hits kids. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

Hard times and higher fuel prices will follow kids back to school this fall. Children will walk farther to the bus stop, pay more for lunch, study from old textbooks and wear last year's clothes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

HealthGrl

Hebron, CT

#1 Aug 18, 2008
I don't think CT would go to a 4 day week for school. Kids can walk to and from school - it will be good for them!
Easton Senior

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Aug 18, 2008
School of Hard Knocks !!!!
Stratordite

AOL

#3 Aug 18, 2008
Grew up in Bpt durint the 50's and 60's-walked to Bryant School from the far end of Dewey St. Walked in the am,walked home for lunch, walked back,walked home at 3:30. Walked to Maplewood School (same schedule at the one at Bryant) for 1 year(freshman year) but it was a 20-25 minute hoof. Walked to Bassick High for the next 3 years but was there for lunch and got out at 2:05pm. NO BUS! AT ALL! WE WALKED! And, trust me, there was no cancellation of school for little snow storms!
We went to the public school in our District-no if's ,and's or but's about it. There was none of this "bussing" crap like there is today. Does anyone honestly feel it is
right" to have children forced-bused -making them get out there at 6am to catch the damn thing and get home way after 4? For what? LOOK! The education is there and it is up to you whether or not you want to learn. If a kid does not want to learn to read and do math,but figures he can make oodles of money by playing basketball or selling drugs, then,guess what! This kid just AIN'T GONN'A LEARN! I don't care what school he is in,or where he lives,or the teachers he has-the ball is in his court.! I am so sick and tired of hearing about these "schools and teachers" who are just not making these kids learn! That's crazy! Let the kids go to the school in their neighborhood. And,,,,,,,WHAT'S with all this free breakfast and lunch crap????????? Whatever happened to MOM or DAD providing a dish of cereal,a piece of toast and some milk for breakfast? I am in my 60's. We did our share with our child,we pulled our own weight,provided breakfast and lunch and snacks and now our child is 39,we have NO CHILDREN in school,but,yet, ouur taxdollars go towards providing meals for kids whose parents are too lazy,and too damn cheap to buy them food! Yet, I bet these parents have no trouble buying themselves expensive cuts of meat, driving expensive gas-guzzling vehicles ,gambling and drinking and doing drugs while I help support their =whelps. Yeah,,,,a REAL FAIR SYSTEM!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maynard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In western Minnesota town of Dawson, a Muslim d... Aug 10 Rabbeen Al Jihad 11
News In a Midwestern town that went for Trump, a Mus... Jul '17 Listen to the Word 1
Election Who do you support for State Senate in Minnesot... (Nov '10) Aug '16 matt 4
News Rural Minnesota district wants to keep 4-day week (Feb '15) Feb '15 suzyqsiewert 1
missing dog (Mar '12) Mar '12 Kellyjo6546 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Nov '10 DJ 4
News Man calls in own crime, triggers manhunt in Chi... (Aug '10) Aug '10 The real - NICE 6

Maynard Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Maynard Mortgages