Don Childers: A self-made man in the ...

Don Childers: A self-made man in the spotlight for environmental spills

There are 83 comments on the Lexington Herald-Leader story from Apr 5, 2009, titled Don Childers: A self-made man in the spotlight for environmental spills. In it, Lexington Herald-Leader reports that:

For a man who provides hundreds of jobs and shies away from publicity, Don Childers has made a lot of people mad recently.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lexington Herald-Leader.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Apr 09

United States

#1 Apr 5, 2009
We won't ever be able to have new restaurants/gas stations here...he always tries to buy them out. Monopoly anyone?
eyes that see

Ransom, KY

#3 Apr 7, 2009
that's the truth, i saw him at a certain party so drunk he had to have help to his vehicle.
Ughhh again

United States

#4 Apr 7, 2009
This man and his daughter make me so unbeleivably ill. He has come across his 'fortune' by cheating others, being a cheap a$$, and by taking advantage of this small town and many others. I have watched him walk in his daughters restaurant and wash food off that had fell in the floor and tell them to serve it, that it was fine. Also there are MANY other ridiculous incidents that I have witnessed. Im sure his daughter and junior have seen this behavior too. I cannot beleive someone would try to defend this man and his horrible behavior. People will do many things for money.
neverknow

United States

#5 Apr 8, 2009
Yes he drinks as much as anyone else and several of his drivers do they even haul alcohol in the company trucks if they would stay solber long enough to do there job. maybe they would not be running into peoples porches in those trucks and letting fuel get into our water supply.I think they should make him move the plant out of city limites and away from the water supply.
someone that knows

United States

#6 Apr 9, 2009
i know don and his daughter are wonderful people!
can you spell jealous

Pikeville, KY

#7 Apr 9, 2009
i think don is a terrific man he has helped me when no one else would,,

and his personal life isn't any of no one's business and if you want to have nice things and land go out and get yourself a damn job
ky chick

United States

#8 Apr 9, 2009
can you spell jealous wrote:
i think don is a terrific man he has helped me when no one else would,,
and his personal life isn't any of no one's business and if you want to have nice things and land go out and get yourself a damn job
Well Said, I agree with you
can you spell jealous

Pikeville, KY

#9 Apr 9, 2009
thank you ky chick
Just Saying

Chesapeake, VA

#10 Apr 12, 2009
I used to work for him and really liked it. He would cut up with us all the time. Made the day go by a little faster. I think we sometimes forget that he is not the only person to blame when something with Childers Oil goes wrong. He is just the face of the company. A lot of the time he personally has nothing to do with the problem.
hahaha

Phelps, KY

#11 Apr 12, 2009
hahaha if anyone of you all even knew who you were talkin about it would be ok... but you dont!
songbird

United States

#12 Apr 12, 2009
I agree,hahaha.Damn,they r waaaayyy off!Ya know when it's election time he come to Isom BP and tells the bosses to make the workers go vote...for whomever hes for!!

“just my opinion”

Since: Apr 09

whitesburg

#13 Apr 13, 2009
He is the main reason our community sits stagnant while hazard and pikeville continue to grow. We have just as many people roaming around here in letcher county that could sustain growth, if he didn't own almost ever square in this county. Hope the continue to fine and court his ass into the ground!I shouldn't say that I am trying to be a buddhist...lol
sassy_ass53

Georgetown, KY

#14 Apr 16, 2009
How damn stupid can you be? I'm sure out of the 50 plus employees that work at that restaraunt, someone would have saw that. You must have been fired from there to make such a stupid remark. I have worked there for over four years and I can guarantee that NEVER happened!
Ughhh again wrote:
This man and his daughter make me so unbeleivably ill. He has come across his 'fortune' by cheating others, being a cheap a$$, and by taking advantage of this small town and many others. I have watched him walk in his daughters restaurant and wash food off that had fell in the floor and tell them to serve it, that it was fine. Also there are MANY other ridiculous incidents that I have witnessed. Im sure his daughter and junior have seen this behavior too. I cannot beleive someone would try to defend this man and his horrible behavior. People will do many things for money.
an opinion

Georgetown, KY

#15 May 5, 2009
I totally agree that Don Childers hinders any growth in Letcher County. His selfishness leaves little to be desired in the department of allowing Letcher County to grow into a thriving, more jobs, more choices, more money county. I also don't agree with his slap on the wrist for the water situation (which happened TWICE!) He cost many people additional money and aggravation, but I bet he was sitting high on the hog drinking clean water or drinking a nice cold bottle of beer.
As far as Pine Mountain Grill - its a spin off of a classic "Don Childers establishment" It leaves little to be desired in the department of fine dining. Their food can be described as "fast food with a spin- the spin being instead of the food served in paper containers its served on plates" Don Childer's Daughter Missy has always been a high fluenting slop and her husband Junior is a wanna-be ex football player who only dated Missy for the money.
Don childers and his family is the joke of Whitesburg.
someone that knows

United States

#16 May 5, 2009
an opinion wrote:
I totally agree that Don Childers hinders any growth in Letcher County. His selfishness leaves little to be desired in the department of allowing Letcher County to grow into a thriving, more jobs, more choices, more money county. I also don't agree with his slap on the wrist for the water situation (which happened TWICE!) He cost many people additional money and aggravation, but I bet he was sitting high on the hog drinking clean water or drinking a nice cold bottle of beer.
As far as Pine Mountain Grill - its a spin off of a classic "Don Childers establishment" It leaves little to be desired in the department of fine dining. Their food can be described as "fast food with a spin- the spin being instead of the food served in paper containers its served on plates" Don Childer's Daughter Missy has always been a high fluenting slop and her husband Junior is a wanna-be ex football player who only dated Missy for the money.
Don childers and his family is the joke of Whitesburg.
You don't have a clue who these people are. I know each one of them personally and I used to work for them. They are great people. Don has never stopped letcher county from thriving, he has gave many people a job. It is not right of you to talk about people this way!
Country Boy1

Lexington, KY

#17 May 5, 2009
I was born and raised in the mountains around Whitesburg. Don does give jobs to people in the mountains BUT, he has the ONLY jobs in the area. It is a monopoly and more companies need to be introduced into Letcher County environment. I just wish someone had enough back bone to rise up against this selfish old man and let Letcher County grow like the rest of the world. Any one that defends this person and his greedy family should really get their nose out of someones a$$. Thats all I have to say.
aggie

Cynthiana, KY

#18 May 7, 2009
you people are clueless.....you make me ashamed to say I am from the same town you live in. These are hateful comments that I won't be back on this site to read...you can sit on your behinds and grip to each other...Why don't you go out and do something good for someone instead of complaining about others ...Were you always so hateful and mean...
noseyrosie

United States

#19 May 9, 2009
kychick wrote:
thats for damn sure!!! hes a piece of shit he dont pay his workers anything above min. wage. and he is one of the main reasons this county isnt wet! and he drinks as much as anybody.
First off...he is not a piece of shit! I have been employeed by Don Childers in the past and he DOES pay over minimum wage actually!! Get the facts right. This county isn't wet because people voted it that way! I mean c'mon people do you think Don Childers can keep someone from making the county wet...no! He is a business man who did only what everyone else around here would do, prosper and make his business prosper. If u had the chance to expand ur company u would say no! If u had the chance to make more money u wouldn't say no! People need to grow up and quit blaming "Don Childers". If not for him ALOT of ppl would not be employeed!
homwtown chick

Ransom, KY

#20 May 9, 2009
kychick wrote:
thats for damn sure!!! hes a piece of shit he dont pay his workers anything above min. wage. and he is one of the main reasons this county isnt wet! and he drinks as much as anybody.
why would he stop it from being wet?the pine mtn. grill serves alcohol you idiot.he would make more money if his gas stations could sell it.and he does employee over 1000 here in letcher co.and most of thrm do make over min. wage.
What is a waste badder

United States

#21 Jul 3, 2009
Did they ever find the other waste(bladder)buried on the other side of whitesburg. They only found one, I heard there were 2 maybe 3. I wonder who buried this one I'm sure it wasn't him but someone that was paid to do it and keep their mouths shut!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mayking Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
winston meade running for reelection 5 min standing 4
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 6 min Paul 165,511
Why Posts Are Being Deleted 29 min investigator 4
Happy hollow jenkins 2 hr J and J 1
Is Letcher Co Ready For Log Cabin Republicans? 4 hr Don jaun 3
what happened to letcher county 6 hr rabbit 64
People in rural Kentucky worry about losing Med... 8 hr Democrat Liberal 17

Mayking Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mayking Mortgages