Region 8 parents react to Common Core State Standards

Jan 30, 2014 Full story: KAIT-TV 19

JONESBORO, AR - Common Core has changed the way schools teach mathematics. The new learning standards encourage more student interaction and multiple ways to find the same answer.

Full Story

Oklahoma City, OK

#1 Jan 30, 2014
Ridiculous to put so much on great teachers. Zaps the energy out of them. I am not a teacher but I support them and appreciate their dedication.

Jonesboro, AR

#2 Jan 30, 2014
Common Core is contributing to the dumbing down of America. Teachers are so busy filling out papers and planning tests and trying to win awards to actually teach anything during the school day. Children are being sent home with hours of homework that should have been done in class. And then we wonder why kids hate school?!?!

Springdale, AR

#3 Jan 31, 2014
1+1 = 5.

Liberal math.

Save the children from the STATE...home school.
landlord

Pacific, MO

#4 Jan 31, 2014
guest wrote:
1+1 = 5.
Liberal math.
Save the children from the STATE...home school.
Although i think we should have a national standard for basic education i also think that state should be allowed to take that standard and add to it , but the administrational work involve in this federal standard is preventing most schools from anything extra. This all started back in the 1960's when we lowered the standards to help Black student graduate from high school. That lowering of standards should have been for a few years and then back to the higher standards. With all this said and all of the bull shit that goes on in public and some private schools with teachers, administrators,students and parents the idea of home schooling looks brighter every day.

Oklahoma City, OK

#5 Jan 31, 2014
landlord wrote:
<quoted text>Although i think we should have a national standard for basic education i also think that state should be allowed to take that standard and add to it , but the administrational work involve in this federal standard is preventing most schools from anything extra. This all started back in the 1960's when we lowered the standards to help Black student graduate from high school. That lowering of standards should have been for a few years and then back to the higher standards. With all this said and all of the bull shit that goes on in public and some private schools with teachers, administrators,students and parents the idea of home schooling looks brighter every day.
I feel sorry for the teachers the get this crammed down their throats every day.
hello

Jonesboro, AR

#7 Feb 3, 2014
The teachers!!!!!!!!! How about the children????

Bonnerdale, AR

#8 Feb 3, 2014
hello wrote:
The teachers!!!!!!!!! How about the children????
Both, and the parents who can't help their children with what should be standard arithmetic homework. Bad all the way around.

Little Rock, AR

#10 Feb 3, 2014
As a student, I find that common core nothing different. It's a little more work but it all looks better in the long run. Truth be told, the teachers at our school brag about common core. They love it. They love how education in our district has gone up and more people are passing. It may seem rough but inside the school, the teachers love it.

Jonesboro, AR

#11 Feb 3, 2014
Schools are trying to push the parents into drugging their children into being zombies also, by manipulating them into add adhd testing.

Bonnerdale, AR

#13 Feb 4, 2014
guest wrote:
As a student, I find that common core nothing different. It's a little more work but it all looks better in the long run. Truth be told, the teachers at our school brag about common core. They love it. They love how education in our district has gone up and more people are passing. It may seem rough but inside the school, the teachers love it.
All teachers do not love it. I am not a teacher, but the ones I have talked to hate it.

Jonesboro, AR

#14 Feb 4, 2014
i'm glad i live in region 7

“Frankly my dear...”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#15 Feb 4, 2014
guest wrote:
Subliminal messages in Common Core Curriculum prove effective for government mind control of students...news at 11.

“Frankly my dear...”

Location hidden

#16 Feb 4, 2014
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Both, and the parents who can't help their children with what should be standard arithmetic homework. Bad all the way around.
3rd and 4th graders are required to 'reason' out long division without memorizing multiplication facts, and in most cases, multiplication facts are practiced, but the standard 0-12 facts are never memorized. Why would it become useless to memorize basic math facts ?
Grammar has become virtually obsolete in the classroom after 6th grade, and often sooner. I recently asked an a/p, straight A sophomore to identify the 'direct object' and 'propositional phrase' in a sentence. They not only couldn't identify either, they "remembered hearing something about propositional phrases a long time but not sure what, and had never heard of a direct object."
Common Core is destroying the core of education, making confusion the only thing children have in common.

United States

#18 Feb 5, 2014
Scarlett, it's actually a prepositional phrase, not a propositional phrase.
landlord

Pacific, MO

#20 Feb 5, 2014
guest wrote:
The concept of education is not just having students passing but to educate students. We can always lower or alter standards to make it easier to pass but if we are not educating our students then how are we preparing them for the type of jobs that are being created in our economy.
landlord

Pacific, MO

#21 Feb 5, 2014
scarlett o hara wrote:
<quoted text>
3rd and 4th graders are required to 'reason' out long division without memorizing multiplication facts, and in most cases, multiplication facts are practiced, but the standard 0-12 facts are never memorized. Why would it become useless to memorize basic math facts ?
Grammar has become virtually obsolete in the classroom after 6th grade, and often sooner. I recently asked an a/p, straight A sophomore to identify the 'direct object' and 'propositional phrase' in a sentence. They not only couldn't identify either, they "remembered hearing something about propositional phrases a long time but not sure what, and had never heard of a direct object."
Common Core is destroying the core of education, making confusion the only thing children have in common.
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THIS MY POINT
landlord

Pacific, MO

#22 Feb 5, 2014
landlord wrote:
<quoted text> THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THIS MY POINT
SORRY ! THIS WAS MY POINT
DarkKnightNomeD

Andrews, TX

#23 Feb 5, 2014

“Frankly my dear...”

Location hidden

#24 Feb 6, 2014
guest wrote:
Scarlett, it's actually a prepositional phrase, not a propositional phrase.
Lol! Yes, of course it is! I did not notice that this crazy kindle changed it every single time! I didn't even go back and review my post because I wouldn't have expected spell check to change it. Propositional (did it again,...go figure! Lol)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mayflower Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
slander (Sep '13) 1 hr Rusty Semen 34
Three arrested for sex offenses in Lonoke Co. (Dec '11) 1 hr Mossy Semen 22
Discount Kitchens UK 15 hr Rintada 1
Haley-Jade Sowell Fri Hayleigh_Jade 2
Toothache Thu Badtooth 3
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) Thu BARNEYII 30,462
Dalton Williams from Clinton beware Dec 25 28:):$:,!:73$:$::$:: 3
Mayflower Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web