lonely mayfield
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Just an idea

Utica, KY

#22 Feb 13, 2010
another comment wrote:
well not everyone is into the church scene really.
The Mayfield Country Club could be an atmosphere to meet new people. Sure, there's monthly "dues" to be a member but they provide social gatherings that aren't "centered" around golf. You can apply for a "social" membership if you don't play golf. A social membership allows access to the pool, tennis courts, and clubhouse but excludes golf. They also have card games on certain nights and have special events. Not sure of the cost, but I'm pretty sure it's $60-80 a month. South Highland Country Club is another place you might consider. Just some suggestions.
Grace

Mayfield, KY

#23 Feb 14, 2010
another comment wrote:
well not everyone is into the church scene really.
I'm sorry. In my world, it's all about Jesus. He is first in my life. I don't call it Church scene. It's a personal relationship with Jesus. I don't even have to be at church. Meeting people that are hungry for his love is just the icing on the cake.
im a voter

Benton, KY

#24 Feb 14, 2010
simple abundance wrote:
<quoted text>You will meet some good people by getting out and volunteering even if it is only a couple of hours a week. There are many organizations that need volunteers. I don't know if you work so that would depend on the hours you could help. The Animal Shelter needs people to just come in and play with the cats, if your a cat person. The dogs need socializing, such as playing and walking them, or just some loving attention. The Lighthouse needs volunteers. That is just a few. I've found that on my daily errands that just looking at someone in passing and smiling and saying hello gets the same response back. Churches are a great place to meet new people. You can try different churches to find the one that fits you. I was raised old school when it comes to manners. And it has served me well over the years.
Well. I like this post. I was thinking as I read all the others, that it is really sad that people come here and feel rejected or that our town is rude or unfriendly. It hurt me to hear that. Then I began to think that of all the travels I have done in my life to other places, I have never had a bad experience with the people. I think it is because I expect them to be nice and that is the feeling I am projecting. I love the suggestion of volunteering. When one reaches out...whether to smile at a clerk or start a conversation in line at the post office or to look beyond themselves to help an animal or another less fortunate, we are likely to be treated in kind. It may not come in that instance but will come back to you at some point. It does bother me, however, to hear that newcomers to our town have this impression. I WOULD like to see a more open attitude toward newcomers in our town especially people of other cultures. I have visited Mexico in one of the poorest sections and actually lived with them for a couple of weeks in their environment. I have come to respect so much the ones who come here trying to better their situation at home. It takes great courage to come to a country where you do not speak the language and have left all that is familiar and ocmfortable to try to make it better for those left behind. I could go on, but I have said enough.
wonder boy

Wingo, KY

#25 Feb 14, 2010
give me a holler and u will show u the wildside.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#26 Feb 15, 2010
friend wrote:
<quoted text>Have you tried visiting a local church? You may not like the first one you visit but there are many around here and I am certain you could find one you like. Church is the best way to meet people and establish new relationships in a new town. I know from experience that there are some very friendly churches in Mayfield and Graves Co. Please give it a try, it won't cost you anything and you have nothing to lose by trying.
Terrific idea!!!! There won't be any "perfect people there, just forgiven, and trying to be better".

Location hidden

#27 Feb 15, 2010
another comment wrote:
<quoted text>
and on a even sadder note i go to his house and still have the same issue where people think they are better than you and feel that there has to be something in it for them
I am sorry you feel like that. I don't go to that church I go to another one but as a church memeber I would hate for anyone to feel that way. If it weren't for my church family I don't know where I would be right now. We have people at church that come from divorce, abuse, addiction, and some who have never had any stuggles at all. We have every color of skin, but I think everyone loves each other. I am sure no matter where you go in life you will find people that think they are better than you, even at Walmart LOL. But at church you might find great friends and a new extended family! Let me know if I can help.
mayfield sorta stinks

United States

#28 Feb 15, 2010
i attend a small church, a non denominational church. i went to his house too and was welcomed for the first time, then just felt like an outcast from there on. they are all about some money and who you are in that place. alot of churches here are full of wanna be's . but there are some good churches and good people in mayfield. just have to find them.

Location hidden

#29 Feb 15, 2010
I know several people that attend there and they all seem to like it. I think a majority of the congregation is a younger crowd though. There are a lot of terrific churches out there and you will find what works for you, you just have to give it a chance. I know our church sometimes has several people and I might miss a visitor once in a while, but I try hard to make everyone feel welcome. Good luck, again, if I can help let me know.
young stud

Henderson, KY

#30 Nov 19, 2012
Being new is always hard no matter what the situation is. nothing really to do here best suggestion is murray or paducah
Just smile and say hello

Gary, IN

#31 Nov 19, 2012
I can find somebody to talk to where ever I go. A lot of times I have to make a point of shutting up so I can hurry and get done what I have to do. Just make eye contact with people, smile and say hi. You don't have to know them, just do it! If they don't respond the same, oh well their loss. Talk to the store employees. Ask them how their day is going. Walmart and grocery stores are a great place to meet people. If you go to Walmart late at night you will find some very friendly employees. At least I always do. Just be friendly and you will find friendly people.
First Assembly of God Church will be having their yearly Thanksgiving Day community meal. If you don't have anything to do go join them. If you feel like it ask them if you can help. I bet they will find you something to do and there are some really great people at that church.
About six months ago I sent a text to a wrong number. I still talk to that person now and then.:) He is really a great young man and I am so glad I got the wrong number! LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mayfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chanda Ballew 21 min Stanley 3
crap starters 1 hr truth 5
Hookup 1 hr truth 3
What in the world happened?!! 2 hr whatthewhat 15
Goodbye Mayfield 5 hr Sally 4
Tara holmes 12 hr Yes 36
Evangelical Christians are the most hypocritica... 13 hr Frank Castle 4

Mayfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance