Who will be Graves Countys new footba...

Who will be Graves Countys new football coach?

Posted in the Mayfield Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

Mayfield

#1 Mar 19, 2009
I have heard that Brad Lawson may be in the running. I wonder if that is a good choice considering he was a defensive coordinator at Tilghman for one season and they had one of the worst seasons ever!! However, he wasn't the whole reason they were awful. Anybody got any suggestions?
Proud of Mayfield

Farmington, KY

#2 Mar 19, 2009
Brad Lawson would be an awesome pickup for Graves, it wasn't his fault that Tilghman had all their problems. As soon as he left Mayfield our defense took a nosedive, that's the facts, just look at how many points Mayfield gave up last season compared to the season before. Mayfield still has a defensive coordinator position open but as long as coach morris is there I don't think coach lawson will come back. I bet Buckley is around here somewhere, he probably needs a job!!
mayfield citizen

Richmond, KY

#3 Mar 19, 2009
Wonder what Brad has against coach Moriss other than hes a lousy coach.Id bet Lawson would be a better coach for Mayfield but the nepatism(spell)wont let that happen.

Mayfield

#4 Mar 19, 2009
I think Brad and Joe had a falling out. As much as the Morris Family has been to Mayfield I really think it is time to move on. I think that Coach David was better than Joe. I know Joe won at least State Championship but Mayfield is not what it once was.
Proud of Mayfield

Farmington, KY

#5 Mar 20, 2009
KYIrish wrote:
I think Brad and Joe had a falling out. As much as the Morris Family has been to Mayfield I really think it is time to move on. I think that Coach David was better than Joe. I know Joe won at least State Championship but Mayfield is not what it once was.
Joe won state with Leahy's team, I am with you, David could do a better job, Lawson could too. Joe is comfortable where he is at, gets in the playoffs every year, moves on a couple of rounds and things are hunky-dory. I was hoping after our loss to Crittenden, which hasn't happened ever, the fans would wake up, I think that there just aren't as many that care anymore.
CARDINAL ALUM

Louisville, KY

#6 Mar 21, 2009
Cardinal teams of recent years are reminiscent of Jack Morris teams. Talented, but lacking discipline. Players under Leahy walked the line on and off the field. His presence was HUGE in the minds of players. He coached a kid to line down and whip the man in front of you, not to rely on shotgun formations and trick plays. Mayfield needs to get back to smashmouth football. Discipline, hard work, and pride in putting on that red helmet have to be brought back to the program. Hot=dogging and selfish play has to stop. Catering to a kid with poor work ethics and attitudes just because he has natural talent doesn't help the player or the program. Brad Lawson was that kind of man. Paul Leahy was that kind of man. Bob Counts was that kind of man. Coach Myers was that kind of man. Joe and Jack apparently aren't.
Proud of Mayfield

Farmington, KY

#7 Mar 23, 2009
Its a shame and I feel if coach Lawson goes to Graves Mayfield is going to lose some players.
get educated

United States

#8 Mar 23, 2009
yeah, probably so, but if that happens, at least those mayfield boys that go blue will actually get an education and a chance at a future in life!

Mayfield

#9 Mar 24, 2009
get educated wrote:
yeah, probably so, but if that happens, at least those mayfield boys that go blue will actually get an education and a chance at a future in life!
I do agree that if Graves County starts winning consitently that there will be even more of a mass exodus from Mayfield to the Graves. However, on the education point I don't agree. I personally went to both schools and Mayfield was much harder for the regular students. At Graves County people become just a number in the crowd. Mayfield is much more personal. With only roughly 300 student it is hard to just blend in. That being said, I mentioned above that Mayfield was harder for the regular students. I have witnessed football players graduate that probably couldn't spell Mayfield. Said really. I guess I have just said all of this to agree with you, in a way. They will get a better education at Graves becuase they will not get special treatment. It is all about how much the kids put in it. "You get what you pay for" If the kids just want to go to school and loaf there is ample opportunity to do that at Graves Co when you can take classes like Space and Rocket science instead of Chemistry.(Like I did). At Mayfield you don't have that choice. Chemistry or fail.

Mayfield

#10 Mar 24, 2009
I guess my last post really has nothing to do with Graves Co Football. Sorry for the sidetrack.
Proud of Mayfield

Farmington, KY

#11 Mar 24, 2009
get educated wrote:
Oh please, look at who is getting more scholarships, Mayfield my friend.
Proud of Mayfield

Farmington, KY

#12 Mar 24, 2009
KYIrish wrote:
<quoted text>
I do agree that if Graves County starts winning consitently that there will be even more of a mass exodus from Mayfield to the Graves. However, on the education point I don't agree. I personally went to both schools and Mayfield was much harder for the regular students. At Graves County people become just a number in the crowd. Mayfield is much more personal. With only roughly 300 student it is hard to just blend in. That being said, I mentioned above that Mayfield was harder for the regular students. I have witnessed football players graduate that probably couldn't spell Mayfield. Said really. I guess I have just said all of this to agree with you, in a way. They will get a better education at Graves becuase they will not get special treatment. It is all about how much the kids put in it. "You get what you pay for" If the kids just want to go to school and loaf there is ample opportunity to do that at Graves Co when you can take classes like Space and Rocket science instead of Chemistry.(Like I did). At Mayfield you don't have that choice. Chemistry or fail.
Yeah, you know Irish, everybody that sends their kids to Graves keeps talking about all the opportunities, which I am not sure I am sold on. All those extra classes seem like a big distraction. Isn't high school supposed to prepare you for college? I would think you would want to prepare for college by taking Chemistry, calculus and advanced topics in the core classes like english, math, science, physics. All the extra classes just seems like a way to breeze through school to me.

Since: Nov 08

Savannah, GA

#13 Mar 31, 2009
Wheres Coach U ???
NAF

Mayfield

#14 Mar 31, 2009
Proud of Mayfield wrote:
<quoted text>
All the extra classes just seems like a way to breeze through school to me.
You are exactly right. In hindsight I wish that I would have taken the other classes. However, my mind was on other things. Partying and girls were way more important to me at that time.
may09

United States

#15 Apr 1, 2009
What about Tim Williams? He has ALWAYS had a winning team in the middle school. He was overlooked the time that Rogers was hired.
NAF

Mayfield

#16 Apr 1, 2009
may09 wrote:
What about Tim Williams? He has ALWAYS had a winning team in the middle school. He was overlooked the time that Rogers was hired.
Isn't he the Principal at GCMS now. I could be wrong. If so that would be alot on one's plate to be an administrator and a Coach. That would be tough.
see_me

Benton, KY

#17 Apr 1, 2009
Tim Williams is small time, he couldn't handle the pressure of an upper level team, Graves is a lot like UK, there is no reason why a school that size should not be producing top notch players, they don't understand that YOU MUST talk to the students, you have to go out and recruit amongst your student body
may09

United States

#18 Apr 2, 2009
Tim Williams is not the principal at GCMS. The high school is NOT like UK. Give me a break. It's funny to me that when they are in the middle school they have a winning season every year. They get to the high school and they fall out like flies. Why not keep the winning steak going at the high school with the winning coach.
amazed

Frankfort, KY

#19 Apr 2, 2009
I'd be wllling to bet Brad gets the job at Graves.

and it IS a shame that Coach Morris wouldn't take Brad back as D. coordinator as it would have been good for the team... although Brad would still be leaving to coach Graves anyway, I guess it doesn't matter.

Coach Morris desperately needs to get some respect and DISCIPLINE on the teams of today.

tuck your shirts in and keep your helmets on. little things like that.

you crazy kids of today. so disappointing.
mayfield citizen

Richmond, KY

#20 Apr 2, 2009
Did Lawson try to get his job back.Coach Moriss sure cant coach D and Hatchell cant call plays so looks like us Mayfield fans and team is screwed till everyone wakes up and gets rid of coach Joe.Ive heard Joes dad say many times of a player that he didnt have any talent but we worked with him and made him into an adequate player and joe thinks this way too.Its all about the coaching till the losses start adding up.Mayfield has won so many games because of talent not that the Moriss family are such great coaches.would have liked to see what david gould have done here.First down off tackle 2nd downoff left tackle 3rd and whatever the whole house knows what hes going to do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mayfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why is Donny trump an idiot? 3 hr Yep 7
Have you been Bullied ? 9 hr bullies suck 7
flies, gnats, fleas... ugh! 11 hr sheath 3
Laziness is worse than cheating 11 hr Stand Up 16
6 biggest reasons Iím a climate-change skeptic... 12 hr get real 2
Jerrica-Rob 12 hr Taco 1
Paducah Sun-Jeff Burton (Sep '08) 13 hr Tell me something 130

Mayfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance