#42 Sep 2, 2010
Iwouldliketoknow wrote:
Is Church of Christ a CULT?
No.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#43 Sep 2, 2010
jusstmee wrote:
what documentary are you talking about??? and I was not correcting your spelling just the words you were using...thanks
the documentary is called religulous done by bill maher from HBO late night show. the title comes from the words religion and ridiculous.
it's a very thought provoking movie and will definately make you question your faith. i was raised in a baptist home not strict but we went to church sun morning, night, wednesday night and every night their was a revival. in a way i had the same feeling steve harvey said on the kings of comedy if this is what it takes to go to heaven i would just rather go to hell.
back to the bill maher movie if you have netflix you can rent it from there because no video store around here has the balls to shelve it. the movie talks about all relgions.
Peace

Martin, TN

#44 Sep 2, 2010
Mandalorian02101976 wrote:
<quoted text>
the documentary is called religulous done by bill maher from HBO late night show. the title comes from the words religion and ridiculous.
it's a very thought provoking movie and will definately make you question your faith. i was raised in a baptist home not strict but we went to church sun morning, night, wednesday night and every night their was a revival. in a way i had the same feeling steve harvey said on the kings of comedy if this is what it takes to go to heaven i would just rather go to hell.
back to the bill maher movie if you have netflix you can rent it from there because no video store around here has the balls to shelve it. the movie talks about all relgions.
Have you ever seen the movie, "Dogma"? Funny movie. I still get a kick out of watching clips over at Youtube. This is one of my favorite scenes.:)

I noticed a comment over at Youtube while grabbing that link that has been 'thumbed up' by 70 people!

It is a great comment, and I totally agree:

"If you're only believing&#65279; so you can avoid hell, then you have missed the point entirely."
Peace

Martin, TN

#45 Sep 2, 2010
Stupid copy and paste.:( It goes:

"If you're only believing so you can avoid hell, then you have missed the point entirely."

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#46 Sep 2, 2010
Mandalorian02101976 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your reply...I however am really not interested in watching it...I don't have any regrets about the way I live my life...I only wish to live a better one. Christianity does not leave me living my life with regrets..I am who I am because I choose to be. I don't believe God is like what I was taught as a child...I believe he is a forgiving loving Father. Just like us as parents, we love our children and want what is best for them...some times in life they make mistakes and we punish them, they learn from it and we go on. If I tried to live by my parents standards of Christianity I probably would have given up a long time ago. On the medical side of it all most doctors will tell you that when a person is a Christian and they pass on they normally die very peacefully. The ones that have no hope of eternity fight it til they take their last breath. This is from doctors. Either way, when I die I won't wish that I had not choose to live my life worshipping God, all in all I think it has made me a more forgiving loving person that strives to be the best I can.
YES

Kendallville, IN

#47 Sep 2, 2010
The church of Christ most definitely IS a cult!

They claim they aren't, but they DO teach that unless you belong there, with your name on their membership roll, YOU ARE GOING TO HELL....they claim they're not a denomination; but they are a denomination and they are the essence of RELIGION, and they are opposite of everything Jesus Christ taught.

They love to argue - "debate", as they call it - "contending for the faith," they are a cult, there is no question.
sleepy

Paducah, KY

#48 Sep 2, 2010
by definition it is a cult.

Anyone who says otherwise is simply ignorant of the English language.

Its not a matter of opinion, it is fact.

If you want to try to debunk it, look of the definition of cult (I posted it earlier) and explain how it is not a cult.
Raised Baptist

Mayfield, KY

#49 Sep 2, 2010
jusstmee wrote:
Sorry but I have to beg to differ here...where I attend church is far from a occult
I don't think that the Church of Christ is a cult. However I believe that you are mistaken by the word "cult". A cult can indeed be a group that believe in God.They are usually defined as being unusually ritualistic. Occult refers to a group that believes in the mystical or supernatural. And I'm not being mean. Just thought you might like to know the difference. God Bless.
Raised Baptist

Mayfield, KY

#50 Sep 2, 2010
sleepy wrote:
by definition it is a cult.
Anyone who says otherwise is simply ignorant of the English language.
Its not a matter of opinion, it is fact.
If you want to try to debunk it, look of the definition of cult (I posted it earlier) and explain how it is not a cult.
I agree that you are correct in the definition. However (and I may be wrong)I believe that when most refer to the word "cult" they think of the dangerous charismatic kind.
sleepy

Paducah, KY

#51 Sep 3, 2010
Raised Baptist wrote:
<quoted text>I agree that you are correct in the definition. However (and I may be wrong)I believe that when most refer to the word "cult" they think of the dangerous charismatic kind.
I see your point, and acknowledge its civility which is a rarity on topix-

Yes, cult is a pejorative word.

I assume you mean "dangerous charismatic kind" like the jonestown tragedy.

The problem I have with that distinction is I see the same charisma from pat robertson, john hagee, and jerry falwell... they just haven't asked anyone to drink kool-aid, just donate money and listen to their quasi hate speeches.

To deny the humbling experience of knowing ones proclaimed religion is a cult seems to me to be a disservice to oneself and their faith. But I admit I am more than ignorant on religious topics, and I suppose I am just a fan of exploring cognitive dissonance.

Location hidden

#52 Sep 3, 2010
YES wrote:
The church of Christ most definitely IS a cult!
They claim they aren't, but they DO teach that unless you belong there, with your name on their membership roll, YOU ARE GOING TO HELL....they claim they're not a denomination; but they are a denomination and they are the essence of RELIGION, and they are opposite of everything Jesus Christ taught.
They love to argue - "debate", as they call it - "contending for the faith," they are a cult, there is no question.
Not every member of the coc thinks they are the only ones going to heaven...you do KNOW that other churches AKA Baptist, Menonite, Cathlic all have memebers in their church that think they too are the only ones going to heaven as well!?!? The way I look at it is, we are all trying to go to heaven and our job is to make a positive impact on all the people around us, so that they can see Jesus Christ in our lives!!! I believe you "plant seeds" of Christianity, so that you don't offend people and push them further away from God. To be honest I am not sure ANY of us have it right on what God truely expects from us! I think you need to study the Bible with open eyes and an open heart and live as closely to it as you can!!! and then PRAY to God for help on what you do not understand! COC is farrrrrr from an occult!
YES

Kendallville, IN

#53 Sep 3, 2010
"you do KNOW that other churches AKA Baptist, Menonite, Cathlic all have memebers in their church that think they too are the only ones going to heaven as well!?!?"

Key word: "think." Those are opinions. The church of Christ prints that THEIR MEMBERS are the ONLY ones going to heaven, in their OFFICIAL church literature; it is part of their OFFICIAL DOCTRINE. Don't deny it!

"I think you need to study the Bible with open eyes and an open heart and live as closely to it as you can!!! and then PRAY to God for help on what you do not understand! COC is farrrrrr from an occult!"

I think *YOU* are the one who should be studying the Bible "with open eyes," because anybody who thinks the church of Christ is not a cult, is dead wrong! It clearly is a cult.
Umm

United States

#54 Sep 3, 2010
YES wrote:
"you do KNOW that other churches AKA Baptist, Menonite, Cathlic all have memebers in their church that think they too are the only ones going to heaven as well!?!?"
Key word: "think." Those are opinions. The church of Christ prints that THEIR MEMBERS are the ONLY ones going to heaven, in their OFFICIAL church literature; it is part of their OFFICIAL DOCTRINE. Don't deny it!
"I think you need to study the Bible with open eyes and an open heart and live as closely to it as you can!!! and then PRAY to God for help on what you do not understand! COC is farrrrrr from an occult!"
I think *YOU* are the one who should be studying the Bible "with open eyes," because anybody who thinks the church of Christ is not a cult, is dead wrong! It clearly is a cult.
Beg my pardon, but what the heck are you talking about?!? The COC has a "Holy Doctrine" all to their selves? I've been in the COC for 35+ years...never heard of this.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#55 Sep 4, 2010
The only leader of the COC in God. Not some freaked out cult leader. And I'm not talking about any other Church. OK/

Location hidden

#56 Sep 7, 2010
Umm wrote:
<quoted text>
Beg my pardon, but what the heck are you talking about?!? The COC has a "Holy Doctrine" all to their selves? I've been in the COC for 35+ years...never heard of this.
I am in the COC and the only person I am taught to follow or believe in is JESUS CHRIST and GOD...I don't believe I am the only one going to heaven and neither does our preacher! Some of the best Christian people I know are Baptist, Mennonites, and Apolstolic (not sure about the spelling on that) We all believe in the same God and all believe Jesus is His one and only son...that he died for our sins. Pretty basic, but I don't just trust my preacher to tell me his idea about the Bible...I do study it myself, and listen to what God/Jesus has to say, and then live my life the best I can....what I fall short on only God knows, and I just ask for His forgiveness from there!
2bigfermydiaper

Owensboro, KY

#57 Sep 8, 2010
YES wrote:
I have been a member of and baptised in the Baptist Church. I am not a super religious freak, and I don't tend to take everything preached or taught as the "Right and Only Way."

I have never heard, in all my years of attending, that Baptist think or believe they are the only ones with a key to heaven.

I believe any religion has that key, and some religions we think are absurd, will get in also. Baptist teachings are all I know and the same with others. My take is, Heaven is one humongous, beautiful, and peaceful paradise as we've never known. I don't believe God gives name tags with your religion and sends each to a different room.

I love Mandalorian's comparison with parent/God forgiveness and love. That is a very wise comparison.

The one thing I'm not convinced of,(and I know you're really gonna give it to me for this) is a person that has raped, murdered, and committed such horrible atrocities, can ask for forgiveness on his dying bed and get into heaven. I just don't think that last minute thing works, to avoid Hell. I have always been taught this, but as I said, am very skeptical. Go ahead, do it now, get it over, and blast me.

I was taught there is only one God, and I do believe that. For all we know, that same God may very well be Baptist, COC, Catholic, etc. I think it's all about a pure heart, honoring and glorifying his name and living his word to the best of our ability. God knows we have bad days and get out of character at times. So what? He doesn't expect us to be perfect. If perfection were the case, there would be no Heaven and this discussion would be of no iterest.

Location hidden

#58 Sep 9, 2010
No hate from me...I appreciate your comments. I too wonder how child molesters and murders can go into heaven, but I Lord willing we will all find out one day. I like your last paragraph best...I truely believe if we are all are "seeking" we will find!
Pam Jones

Elmer, OK

#59 Oct 24, 2010
Nope wrote:
Haha, I've been raised in the Church of Christ my whole life. No, it's not a cult. It's a conservative denomination. More than most. And this church does take a lot of scripture literal. The Churches of Christ's "practices" do vary by geography. President Obama is a member of COC but his church of Christ is different from mine. Some may speak in tongue, but mine dosen't. They all vary.
It is a cult. They claim there is no human founder but it was started in Caneridge Ky in 1801 by Barton Stone and Alexander Campbell some Presbyterian ministers.
Thetruth

United States

#60 Oct 24, 2010
My Opinion wrote:
The Church of Christ is no cult. And I've been told since a child that the Baptist think they are the only ones going to heaven. I am a member of the Church of Christ and I think any church is what you make it.
That is not a traditional Baptist belief. Unlike the COC, Baptists do tend to have a unified belief system. I started attending the Baptist church at 8 days old and I've never heard anyone convey that belief or opinion. I will say, however, that though we basically have a unified belief type denomination, anyone can believe whatever they choose. There may be individuals or congregations spreading that message. I hope not, but who knows. Baptists will not be the only ones in heaven. CHRISTIANS will be the only ones in heaven. Many people on the church roll of every denomination will not be in heaven. Church affiliation, good works, kind attitude.... None of these things can save you. Only accepting God's gift of salvation through his Son can pardon you.
COC Member

Cunningham, KY

#61 Oct 27, 2010
Really tho, when it comes to being a "Christian" what other set of rules/laws could you follow besides the bible? Its the only book we got to go on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mayfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shyanne Wilford 35 min Me too 11
me an my husband are lookin for a bisexual women 1 hr nobody 21
Cuba Church of Christ 1 hr Connie 16
Trace Creek wants foreigners in our homes!!! 2 hr Stupid 54
Ky. Amish men say they won't budge on buggy fight (Jan '12) 7 hr Country Raised 8
Green Acres Good or Bad Place To Work (Nov '11) 10 hr Help 56
Mayfield Nursing 15 hr EsCape Mayfield 2
Mayfield Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Mayfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Mayfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Mayfield

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News