Next Last
Iwouldliketoknow

Wingo, KY

#1 Feb 27, 2010
Is Church of Christ a CULT?
Nope

White House, TN

#2 Feb 27, 2010
Haha, I've been raised in the Church of Christ my whole life. No, it's not a cult. It's a conservative denomination. More than most. And this church does take a lot of scripture literal. The Churches of Christ's "practices" do vary by geography. President Obama is a member of COC but his church of Christ is different from mine. Some may speak in tongue, but mine dosen't. They all vary.
we are blessed
#3 Feb 27, 2010
i was raised church of christ my church ill say was judgemental as heck .but the singing with no insturments i have to say was beautiful
Nope

White House, TN

#4 Feb 27, 2010
we are blessed wrote:
i was raised church of christ my church ill say was judgemental as heck .but the singing with no insturments i have to say was beautiful
So true. When your "in", you're in. When you're "out", you're out. They are harsh and abrasive. They like to be all up in everybody's biz but ignore their own problems.
Another opinion

Memphis, TN

#5 Feb 28, 2010
I've heard that most COC people believe they are the only ones going to heaven. Is this true? If you're not 'Church of Christ' you don't get into heaven? Is that the way most of them believe?
Nope

White House, TN

#6 Feb 28, 2010
Another opinion wrote:
I've heard that most COC people believe they are the only ones going to heaven. Is this true? If you're not 'Church of Christ' you don't get into heaven? Is that the way most of them believe?
Like I said, I have been around this church my whole life. That being said, I do not believe we are the only ones going to Heaven. That is not taught in any church I've attended. However, the older generations may believe this way. Example: my Great~Grandmother was crushed when my cousin told her he was going to be an ordained Baptist minister.
Another Opinion

Memphis, TN

#7 Feb 28, 2010
Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, I have been around this church my whole life. That being said, I do not believe we are the only ones going to Heaven. That is not taught in any church I've attended. However, the older generations may believe this way. Example: my Great~Grandmother was crushed when my cousin told her he was going to be an ordained Baptist minister.
I don't much care for 'organized' religion. Doesn't really have anything to do with Christianity. Different denominations have their own rituals and beliefs, but the one true belief is what is written in the Bible... and people take that out of context all the time. However, I think the Bible was meant to be discusses, certain topics rehashed, etc... it gets people to thinking and hopefully they can come to the truth eventually.
looking for new church

Mayfield, KY

#8 Feb 28, 2010
Another opinion wrote:
I was raised in the Church of Christ, my church was very hard core. The preacher said if you were not a member of the Church of Christ you were not going to heaven, actually he said h... When I got older I realized this was wrong. If you live the right life, obey the 10 Commandments, study your bible and ask for forgiveness of your sins you are going in the right direction. But fellowship at a church encourages everyone and is important.
hillbilly

New Concord, KY

#9 Mar 1, 2010
looking for new church wrote:
<quoted text>I was raised in the Church of Christ, my church was very hard core. The preacher said if you were not a member of the Church of Christ you were not going to heaven, actually he said h... When I got older I realized this was wrong. If you live the right life, obey the 10 Commandments, study your bible and ask for forgiveness of your sins you are going in the right direction. But fellowship at a church encourages everyone and is important.
Have you obey the 10 commandments? It is hard to do. There was 1 man and only 1 man that has done that. And his name is JESUS CHRIST. Read the 10 and ask yourself have I obeyed ALL of the COMMANDMENTS.
we are blessed
#10 Mar 1, 2010
we all fall short and sin every day.no one will ever be perfect like jesus just aint gonna happen.but we must remember love is the greatest commandmentof all,love thy neighbor,thats the hardest one i think.
looking for new church

Mayfield, KY

#11 Mar 1, 2010
hillbilly wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you obey the 10 commandments? It is hard to do. There was 1 man and only 1 man that has done that. And his name is JESUS CHRIST. Read the 10 and ask yourself have I obeyed ALL of the COMMANDMENTS.
O.K. I will "try" to obey the 10 Commandments. Do you feel better now that I'm trying to obey the 10 Commandents.
My Opinion

West Paducah, KY

#12 Mar 1, 2010
The Church of Christ is no cult. And I've been told since a child that the Baptist think they are the only ones going to heaven. I am a member of the Church of Christ and I think any church is what you make it.
Crazy Love

Benton, KY

#13 Mar 2, 2010
My Opinion wrote:
The Church of Christ is no cult. And I've been told since a child that the Baptist think they are the only ones going to heaven. I am a member of the Church of Christ and I think any church is what you make it.
I grew up in the Church of Christ but now attend a Baptist church. I never got (or get) that "we are the only ones going to heaven" from either of them! Organized religion is man-made, Christianity is the religion we should all focus on. It's seems so silly for Christians to fight with other Christians about which "religion" is right! Just follow God's word, pray, and give all the glory to Him. We are in this together!!!
cuba member

Mayfield, KY

#14 Mar 2, 2010
Another opinion wrote:
Numerous "denominations" believe they are the only ones going to heaven. I am Church of Christ and I don't believe that at all. The church I attend is the most loving church family you could ask for. The Bible is preached like it says. We do not have instruments, but the singing is beautiful! I know great Christians in all denominations, and they will beat me to heaven any day. To the one that posted it is a cult, sorry but no it isn't, it is a place to come together with friends and family and worship God
cuba member

Mayfield, KY

#15 Mar 2, 2010
<quoted text>O.K. I will "try" to obey the 10 Commandments. Do you feel better now that I'm trying to obey the 10 Commandents.
Yes, all we can all do is TRY. No one will get it 100% right but God/Jesus. My goal is to go to heaven and take as many people with me as possible, but I will make mistakes along the way, I am far from ever being perfect.
cuba member

Mayfield, KY

#16 Mar 2, 2010
Crazy Love wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up in the Church of Christ but now attend a Baptist church. I never got (or get) that "we are the only ones going to heaven" from either of them! Organized religion is man-made, Christianity is the religion we should all focus on. It's seems so silly for Christians to fight with other Christians about which "religion" is right! Just follow God's word, pray, and give all the glory to Him. We are in this together!!!
Seek and ye shall find. If you are truely seeking I believe God will lead you to Him.
Crazy Love

Benton, KY

#17 Mar 2, 2010
cuba member wrote:
<quoted text>Seek and ye shall find. If you are truely seeking I believe God will lead you to Him.
I agree.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#19 Mar 5, 2010
Church Christ is FAR from an occult! They are just like every other Christian based religion....trying to go to heaven and please GOD. They don't have instruments in church, take the Lords supper on Sunday, and try to live according to the Bible. Not everyone that is Church of Christ, Baptist, Methodist and so on believe they are the only ones going to heaven, and also there are people in each denomination that do believe they are the only ones that are right....won't we ALL be surprised when we get to heaven and find that our "denomination" is not the only one there.
looking for new church

Mayfield, KY

#20 Mar 5, 2010
jusstmee wrote:
Church Christ is FAR from an occult! They are just like every other Christian based religion....trying to go to heaven and please GOD. They don't have instruments in church, take the Lords supper on Sunday, and try to live according to the Bible. Not everyone that is Church of Christ, Baptist, Methodist and so on believe they are the only ones going to heaven, and also there are people in each denomination that do believe they are the only ones that are right....won't we ALL be surprised when we get to heaven and find that our "denomination" is not the only one there.
I was raised in the Chruch of Christ, I had to go Sun. morning, Sun. evening, Wed evening services and every night we had a revival. My churh then was very hard core as to it's belief. The preacher would preach if you are not baptized into the Church of Christ you were going to h...., if you went to the prom you were going to h...., that made a negative impression on me as a teenager. I don't beleive denomininations matter when you are trying to live a Christian life. I don't know if Baptists, Methodist's etc believe the samy way, I havn't been to their churches. And yes justmee won't we all be surprised if we get to heaven that all dennminations are represented. But we have to Try to live a Christian life, study our bible, watch our words i.e. gossip and study our bible to learn to live a Chritian life.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#21 Mar 5, 2010
<quoted text>I was raised in the Chruch of Christ, I had to go Sun. morning, Sun. evening, Wed evening services and every night we had a revival. My churh then was very hard core as to it's belief. The preacher would preach if you are not baptized into the Church of Christ you were going to h...., if you went to the prom you were going to h...., that made a negative impression on me as a teenager. I don't beleive denomininations matter when you are trying to live a Christian life. I don't know if Baptists, Methodist's etc believe the samy way, I havn't been to their churches. And yes justmee won't we all be surprised if we get to heaven that all dennminations are represented. But we have to Try to live a Christian life, study our bible, watch our words i.e. gossip and study our bible to learn to live a Chritian life.
I went to a church where the lesson was taught that I would basically never be good enough to make it into heaven so why bother trying was my idea. I go to a church now that preaches the love and forgiveness of God and how we all are not perfect, and never will be. They don't comment about any denomination being the only one in heaven but I have been to Baptist, Chruch of Christ, Penacostal and Minonite churches that have made those comments, and those that haven't. I do believe in baptism as a essiental part of Christianity.(because it is said numerous times in the Bible) BUT it is up to God to determine what our hearts are truely like. He knows if we are really striving to be like He requires us. There are a lot of people that have been baptized and saved that MIGHT not make it into heaven, because it is up to GOD to decide that. I love the church I attend and all the people in it, just trying to live the best we can and that is all we can do

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mayfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Laura Ivey 4 min lee 6
Austin Turner 51 min stupidityatitsfinest 3
mayfield horse sale (Aug '13) 4 hr Top Cardinal 9
Peyton rogers? 5 hr Tom c 4
Trump Tax Returns 5 hr TRUTH 134
GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES - Here's what's wrong with... 7 hr Forgotten Citizen 19
Stacie House Morris and Kendall 8 hr Judgment 3

Mayfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance