Social Security
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Barb

Mayfield, KY

#1 Dec 29, 2012
There is something that I do not understand so maybe some of you can shed some light on it. Social Security is paid through taxes while you work and builds up over your working years. When you are 62 you can draw although it is a reduced amount and you are locked in from then on plus you have to have the right amount of quarters before you can even qualify or draw Social Security. Or you can wait till 65 and draw full benefits.

It is my belief that woman who have never held a job and paid into the system should not be allowed to receive Social Security but I know some that has never brought home that first paycheck and they get it. How? Why?

These woman who are getting Social Security but yet never worked should be considered a burden on the system because they never paid in but are taking. How do they get it when I had to work many years, pay in on it through every paycheck and go through qualification to get it?
Why

Mayfield, KY

#2 Dec 29, 2012
Why do you really care? Most people around here live off SS and not much else, especially the women. If you would take that away then what? Would you have them beg on the corner, sleep in a box? That happens, but not here. If a woman has ever worked in her life she can draw a little something. Most women draw off their husbands if they are widowed, it's called survivors benefits.
yep

Brownsville, TN

#3 Dec 29, 2012
Sho is

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#4 Dec 29, 2012
What about those that never work a day and are disabled and draw benefits?

Or those that disable themselves with alcohol or drugs?
michelle

Philpot, KY

#5 Dec 29, 2012
i live by a girl that draws checks off her kids she doesnt work i think the kids are mental are crack babies.

Location hidden

#6 Dec 29, 2012
Here is the major flaw in he social security/disability system, but i must set up the background and explain some law.

There is regualar Social Security disability,(SSD). SSD benefits are based upon what one earned in their career. The longer they work, the more money they have earned, the greater the size of their SSD check. People on SSD are allowed mediCAR coverage, the same a afforded to seniors. Peopleon mediCARE have large co-payments for doctors, medications and outpatient care.

Law requires a minimum income for those on disability. If they did not earn enough, then something else kicks in, called Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Also, this benefit is given to the parents of disabled children. People on SSI are allowed mediCAID, the health insurance program for the poor, where there are almost no copays for medicines, doctor visits, and no copay for hospital items.

THere is a cut off in KY of about $750 before one cannot get SSI and thus, mediCAID and almost always, food stamps.

Now, i worked 60 hours per week to get through college. I worked hard as an accountant for a very brief time, but made decent money before I became too sick to work and have numerous operations.

Myh SSD check is $790 per month. Therefore I do not get SSI, thus mediCAID. So I have large co-pays for my 16 prescriptions, and one medicine that will save my life, mediCARE will not cover.

Now on the other hand there are numerous people that never work or work very little before disabling themselves with drugs and alcohol.(My former neighbor was one).

They qualify for SSI, bringing their income up to $750 per month. BUT they get mediCAID. So while they draw less than I, my monthly medical expenses actually put me at a much lower standard of living than those on SSI.(And medicaid will cover that one crucial drug)

So tell me, why is it that a man who worked hard to put himself through school, then tried to work hard actually is worse off than some jerk who disabled themselves with drugs?

I do not just complain about this. Senators McConnell and Paul have asked me to testify before Congress about this and other issues should the senate ever bring up SS reform.

For now, write your congressman to affect change.

But please, don't think everyone on disability is 1) lazy and 2) gets the precious "medical card."
ms bathory

United States

#7 Dec 29, 2012
judgemental freaks. live your own life clean your own porch stop busting into other ppls affairs and NO i dont get a check, im more worried about a congress member getting 100000 tax cuts yearly than i am some poor person getting a 300$ check to exist on

Location hidden

#8 Dec 30, 2012
Some argue that an 8 year old kid should not get "disability" as they never worked.

Seriously?

That little bit is only given to parents with financial need who need help with the extra care that is required for handicapped kids.

GOne are the days where parents just throw their kids into to some public toilet called a "home." ..or would you like to bring them back. And as Ms bathory said, what about the congressman getting a pension of $174,000 per year for LIFE after only serving one term.

Yes, the system is severely flawed, so what are your ideas ???? Let the disabled die? Put disabled kids in homes?

Oh, and the reason some women draw checks on their husbands SS account is because, they did indeed work at the most noble of all professions, housewife and mother. Without this, the man may not have been able to earn as much.
Sarah

Mayfield, KY

#9 Dec 30, 2012
The last paragraph of SpritoftheHawk's statement just took me for a loop. I know several woman who sadly draw off of their husbands hard work. They sat at home and pushed buttons while their husbands worked their fingers to the bone. There is no comparison to working a hard job for 37 years and sitting home pushing buttons. Housewife is not a profession...what a laugh. Some of them can't even read and write I know at least two that can't. A man can earn more without a lazy woman at home that either will not work or runs around telling that her husband did not want her to work. I've heard that tale many times. To many men have worked hard, had a nice home, did their own simple laundry after all it's just pushing a button and been great contributers to sociaty without a woman tagging along for the ride. Then when he is older or sick and can't work anymore she draws free money she never earned and runs around spending not only our tax money that SHE never paid in but her husbands money also. It's really sad.
Karen T

Mayfield, KY

#10 Dec 30, 2012
I've worked hard all my life and I can't stand woman that never worked or even tried but played on the pity of a man to keep her up all her life then when he's gone she draws a big check. She did not earn it!
What gives these woman any right to do nothing and get the same thing that I am working my butt off for when the time comes? A husband works for the time when he can retire not so she can. If she has sat at home then she's been retired the whole time because he's keeping her up. And don't give me this story about how she washed the clothes, raised the kids and took the trash out. Big deal! I've done it and worked two jobs plus cared for an aging parent for six years. There is no excuse for a woman who has never worked to expect to get free money as soon as she hits 65. The person who made the living and paid the bills is the only one deserving. She was taken care of and should be greatful and ashamed that she depended on someone else all her married life.
Karen T

Mayfield, KY

#11 Dec 30, 2012
Woman who unfortunately stay at home and live off of a man should have the brains to save a little money each year in a special account. This would be for their own retirement because the men usually always give most of what they make to the wives waiting at the door on pay day with their claws out. If he can't make enough to make her happy...she needs to get out and get a job. In this way once the man can retire he will then be able finally have his own money to do with what he wants. After all, she had her shot at saving and she failed to work so she should not get one penny of his retirement or his Social Security. He worked and he eared it not her!

Location hidden

#12 Dec 30, 2012
Kind of sad that we look at the marital partnership so sarcastically.
guess

Smithland, KY

#13 Dec 30, 2012
Such a sad view of a worthy institute and the two become one. My wife worked until we had children and we decided for her to quit and stay home with the kids best decision ever made not to have someone else raise our kids. I didn't have to worry about anything at home while working she had her jobs (at home) and I had mine no differant in importance. Sorry you view marraige in such a way
Sad

Mayfield, KY

#14 Dec 30, 2012
Seems they don't understand the values that go into a traditional marriage. BTW my husband really doesn't want me to work. We have a lot going on. If I worked it would make life twice as hard for both of us with little gained in return.
Karen T

Mayfield, KY

#15 Dec 31, 2012
Traditional marriage is great and each one should pull their own weight. I know so many woman who view marriage as a way to get what they want without working. It's sad when you are talking with one of them and the first thing on their mind is "name of husband is just not making enough that I can buy anything" or "I wish he would get some overtime so I can get the new clothes I need" Closet bursting open as it was. The way I see it when he is paying all the bills of the home she needs to get a job and buy her own clothes since husband has the whole load himself. It's just not right for a woman to sit home on her rear while the husband is spending his life on a job. All woman need to know what it's like to punch a timeclock 5 or 6 days a week and travel in all kinds of weather to get to and from a job on time plus keep the home repaired and yard mowed or what ever during the few hours you have off from working. It's not easy and many woman do not appreciate all that is done for them. I have worked, raised a family, did all the cooking from scratch and carried the load by myself with absolutley no outside help or welfare. If I can do it then others can also. It would not make life twice as hard if woman worked and the gain is tremendance. Nothing turns my stomach more than a woman who claims her husband does not want her to work. It's just an excuse. He would more than likey appreciate the help in the partenership and not kill himself at an early age by working himself to death. House payments, car payments, education, clothes, insurance etc. Why on earth would any decent woman not want to help pay for the things that she enjoys? How can any woman hold her head up that does nothing but sit home and cook a meal or two-and most everything else is automatic or so easy it isn't worth mentioning? We all know that there is a huge differance in working and being at home where you can do what you please when you please. I talked with one woman that gave me that crap about her husband did not want her to work and when I talked to him he said he knew she could not hold a job because she would get sick if you mentioned the word so he made the living and allowed her to stay home. He even had to take the trash out when he got home because "she didn't feel like it or it was to heavy". And by the way she was as healthy as could be and spent lots of money on herself. So darn stupid to let her get by with it. If she didn't cook that day he would just get in the car and go get something. She was constantly laying on the sofa complaining of something hurting but if there was a good sale some place she would bust the door down to get there. Never worked a day in her 45 year marriage and guess what...she is drawing a huge free Social Security check and bragging about how hard she worked during her life! She has no right to brag about anything but sitting at home all those years. Doesn't it bother any of you who do work that someone who did not even try is getting the same as you are or will when the time comes? I also say that a woman who has not worked should not get what we work for. Cut them out of the system and the system will balance. Those working now may have a shot at geting their Social Security if the free loading woman are cut off.
Kevin

Mayfield, KY

#16 Dec 31, 2012
SpiritoftheHawk wrote:
Some argue that an 8 year old kid should not get "disability" as they never worked.
Seriously?
That little bit is only given to parents with financial need who need help with the extra care that is required for handicapped kids.
GOne are the days where parents just throw their kids into to some public toilet called a "home." ..or would you like to bring them back. And as Ms bathory said, what about the congressman getting a pension of $174,000 per year for LIFE after only serving one term.
Yes, the system is severely flawed, so what are your ideas ???? Let the disabled die? Put disabled kids in homes?
Oh, and the reason some women draw checks on their husbands SS account is because, they did indeed work at the most noble of all professions, housewife and mother. Without this, the man may not have been able to earn as much.
I get your point here but then I go back and remember a man I worked with who walked in one day and was smiling from ear to ear because his 11 year old son was going to get a check based on being over active or what ever they call it. He was healthy and ran around just like any other normal kid. They had a nice home.two cars and no "extra expense" because of the child. I never did understand how they got that money off of him. The child was in school and able to do anything he wanted. At the time and knowing the parents like I did I felt like they were just sucking off the system.
Related to one

Mayfield, KY

#17 Dec 31, 2012
What a joke to be getting social security off of a husband and have no shame in bragging about having their own money. That money belongs to the husband and tax payers. It's sickening to see woman all over the place spending money they never earned. They were cared for and all needs met. Then when they get that Social Security check they have the nerve to complain it isn't enough! They should be most greatful and get on their knees and thank the taxpayers!
Sad

Tucker, GA

#18 Dec 31, 2012
Do all of you realize you are condemning women who are 65 years old and older? Women who were born in 1947 or before? Women who came of age in the late 1950's and early 1960's. You do realize, I hoPe, that many women from that time period weren't expected to work outside the home, or if they did their husband was looked at as a bad husband. Women didn't enter the work force for real until the mid-1970's. At that point most of these women you condemn we're around 40 years old with no job skills outside the home. Graves county was lucky because it had 3 textile factories that employed about 2000 women from the area that could work for minimum wage. It's hard to believe the jealouse , shallow catty attitudes of some of you. Jesus Christ, ladies grow up. Worry about your own lives and families. You don't know what goes on in other peoples marriages because your not in them. My own father didn't want my mother to work what he called a public job. Get some insight before you condemn.
guess

Smithland, KY

#19 Dec 31, 2012
Not all marriages are like yours I don't want my wife to work she is more of an asset to me at home then she would be working, I don't have to worry about the kids or anything around the house she is very capable of taking anything that anything that comes up around the house. Sorry for you you must of had one bad relationship.
Wow

Owensboro, KY

#20 Dec 31, 2012
Did it ever occur to you that some men enjoy taking care of household income and having their wife take care of the home and kids? That man would want to know that if he died before she did that she would be taken care of like she did for him and his children all those years. Do you not realize that children raised at home by a parent are at an advantage in life. To me that is priceless. Also their are more men staying at home now while the wife works. He stays home takes care of the kids the home and makes repairs while she is working. How do you figure you have the right to tell other people how their family is ran?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mayfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
If being wet is so bad, why don't the towns tha... 2 hr Wondering 24
Urgent! Urgent! Lets get rid of these bible thu... 3 hr Stewie Griffin 62
Pilgrims 4 hr willy 11
unsolved murders in Graves/Mayfield (Jun '12) 7 hr PsychopathicTruck... 72
BK and Nate 7 hr hii 1
Vote YES June 28th!!! 8 hr Monkey business 57
Hey Shannon Morris 8 hr Payback 10
Mayfield city cops Sun Bill 95
More from around the web

Personal Finance