Comments
1 - 20 of 112 Comments Last updated May 18, 2014
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Former Home Kid

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Oct 21, 2008
 
I was just curious as to just how many people in here remember Paradise Friendly Home. I have been trying to find the old Home kids and, so far, I have only been able to find two. One lives near the old home and the other lives in Murray. I would like to get a reunion together if possible and would like to see just who would be interested. Although I was not officially a "Home Kid", my parents did live and work at the home and I was accepted as one by many of the other kids.(We were there from 1966-1969--my Dad preached at Bell City) If anyone is interested in a reunion, feel free to let me know so that we can get in touch.
reddog65

Paducah, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 21, 2008
 
I remember the home wow thats been along time ago.I went to school with some of the kids at Cuba i think (MAN I FEEL OLD NOW LOL)

Since: Jul 08

Gracey, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Oct 21, 2008
 
Former Home Kid wrote:
I was just curious as to just how many people in here remember Paradise Friendly Home. I have been trying to find the old Home kids and, so far, I have only been able to find two. One lives near the old home and the other lives in Murray. I would like to get a reunion together if possible and would like to see just who would be interested. Although I was not officially a "Home Kid", my parents did live and work at the home and I was accepted as one by many of the other kids.(We were there from 1966-1969--my Dad preached at Bell City) If anyone is interested in a reunion, feel free to let me know so that we can get in touch.
I know 2 people who lived there...I haven't seen either one of them in yrs. but the guy was pretty well known in Mayfield...David V. I know he owned/worked at the tabacco barn for yrs.

The other person is Gladys J. She & David have a son together...
Former Home Kid

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Oct 22, 2008
 
My mistake. I talked to my Dad today and he corrected me. He preached at Knob Creek, but not at Bell City.(Oh, well, nobody's perfect....but mistakes are to be expected considering I was only 3 when we moved from the home.)

Actually the Home kids went to Sedalia (Mr. Murdock was a bus driver for the school) but I do know of one former home kid who went to Cuba (Dewayne J) He transferred to Farmington while he was still in the 1st grade. I went to Cuba from 1st grade until the 8th grade, then to Sedalia my Freshman and Sophomore years and then transferred to Mayfield for my Jr. and Sr. years. I graduated from Mayfield.

I was also mistaken on Gladys J in my e-mail to Susan (Sorry) It was her sister Brenda who worked for Judge Stark. However I still remember them a little. I remember David V. too. He inhereted the tobacco company if I'm not mistaken. I still remember bits and pieces of the home, and we did visit it from time to time after we left until it finally closed.(Just before Mr. Murdock died) The remaining kids were then moved to Potter Home in Bowling Green, I think. The Former Home kids I have located are Teresa R. and Rocky C. Teresa lives behind the Murdock Mausoleum and Rocky is in Murray. I think I may have traced Billy S. to Tennessee too.

Susan, are David V. and Gladys J. still in Mayfield? I would like to get in touch with them if possible. I remember the Gray twins too, but both of them have passed away.

Since: Jul 08

Gracey, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Oct 22, 2008
 
Former Home Kid wrote:
My mistake. I talked to my Dad today and he corrected me. He preached at Knob Creek, but not at Bell City.(Oh, well, nobody's perfect....but mistakes are to be expected considering I was only 3 when we moved from the home.)
Actually the Home kids went to Sedalia (Mr. Murdock was a bus driver for the school) but I do know of one former home kid who went to Cuba (Dewayne J) He transferred to Farmington while he was still in the 1st grade. I went to Cuba from 1st grade until the 8th grade, then to Sedalia my Freshman and Sophomore years and then transferred to Mayfield for my Jr. and Sr. years. I graduated from Mayfield.
I was also mistaken on Gladys J in my e-mail to Susan (Sorry) It was her sister Brenda who worked for Judge Stark. However I still remember them a little. I remember David V. too. He inhereted the tobacco company if I'm not mistaken. I still remember bits and pieces of the home, and we did visit it from time to time after we left until it finally closed.(Just before Mr. Murdock died) The remaining kids were then moved to Potter Home in Bowling Green, I think. The Former Home kids I have located are Teresa R. and Rocky C. Teresa lives behind the Murdock Mausoleum and Rocky is in Murray. I think I may have traced Billy S. to Tennessee too.
Susan, are David V. and Gladys J. still in Mayfield? I would like to get in touch with them if possible. I remember the Gray twins too, but both of them have passed away.
Sorry, I haven't checked my mail yet. I used to see them both alot. I haven't seen them in yrs. You amy want to try doing a Myspace search for Gladys. If you don't find her or Brenda, she & David's child's name is Nathan...I'm not sure what his last name is though. It's one of the 2 I'm sure. As for David, you may be able to get info on whether he's still here or not from the Chamber Of Commerce...I wish you the best of luck in your search. Plz let me know if I can help in anyway...
Former Home Kid

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 23, 2008
 
Thanks for the offer, Susan. I wish there were some way you could get their e-mails for me. I would like to hear from them again.

Since: Jul 08

Gracey, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Oct 23, 2008
 
I'll see if I can find anything out for you & I'll email you directly :)
Former Home Kid

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Nov 10, 2008
 
I guess none of the old home kids come in here besides me. I was hoping I would be able to catch a few of them online.
Tonya

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Nov 17, 2008
 
My mother has recently been talking about Mr. Murdock's but she thought it was in Fredonia. She visited there on several occasions as a kid. She had some cousins that lived there. My grandmother would take my Mom and her sister to visit. Her cousins were Jan C., Mickey C. and Gene C. They were all brothers. Mickey passed away some years ago. Jan lives in Paducah and I am unsure on Gene's whereabouts at the current time.
Former Home Kid

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Nov 19, 2008
 
Tonya wrote:
My mother has recently been talking about Mr. Murdock's but she thought it was in Fredonia. She visited there on several occasions as a kid. She had some cousins that lived there. My grandmother would take my Mom and her sister to visit. Her cousins were Jan C., Mickey C. and Gene C. They were all brothers. Mickey passed away some years ago. Jan lives in Paducah and I am unsure on Gene's whereabouts at the current time.
Actually, the home was located between Tri City and Bell City. It seems like I've heard some of the names you mentioned from my Dad, but I was 3 when we moved from there, so I only remember bits and pieces of the home. We did go and visit with the kids between the time we left and the time the home closed, though. There was one boy who lost an eye in an accident shortly after we left there, and I can't for the life of me remember who he was. Would you happen to know him?

I was related to Mr. Murdock's daughter by marriage. She married a cousin of mine, but they have since divorced. I saw her at church the last time we were in the area, and she recognized me but it took her a while. The last time she saw me I was just a kid.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Nov 20, 2008
 
Former Home Kid wrote:
My mistake. I talked to my Dad today and he corrected me. He preached at Knob Creek, but not at Bell City.(Oh, well, nobody's perfect....but mistakes are to be expected considering I was only 3 when we moved from the home.)
Actually the Home kids went to Sedalia (Mr. Murdock was a bus driver for the school) but I do know of one former home kid who went to Cuba (Dewayne J) He transferred to Farmington while he was still in the 1st grade. I went to Cuba from 1st grade until the 8th grade, then to Sedalia my Freshman and Sophomore years and then transferred to Mayfield for my Jr. and Sr. years. I graduated from Mayfield.
I was also mistaken on Gladys J in my e-mail to Susan (Sorry) It was her sister Brenda who worked for Judge Stark. However I still remember them a little. I remember David V. too. He inhereted the tobacco company if I'm not mistaken. I still remember bits and pieces of the home, and we did visit it from time to time after we left until it finally closed.(Just before Mr. Murdock died) The remaining kids were then moved to Potter Home in Bowling Green, I think. The Former Home kids I have located are Teresa R. and Rocky C. Teresa lives behind the Murdock Mausoleum and Rocky is in Murray. I think I may have traced Billy S. to Tennessee too.
Susan, are David V. and Gladys J. still in Mayfield? I would like to get in touch with them if possible. I remember the Gray twins too, but both of them have passed away.
I knew a lot of the home kid's. I know that Jan Cornwell lives in paducah, KY. Jimmy Saylor is a Ky State Trooper.
I emailed treasa, she hasn't emailed me anymore. I road the Girls bus going to Sedalia school. I was wondering the same thing about a reunion. I would even like to see them. Raymond m. one of the gray twins has passed away. I can't remember which one lucy or linda.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Nov 20, 2008
 
I'm sorry I haven't read all of the forms. I didn't know both Gray twins passed away. Linda M. how about her? Raymond M how about him?Pat G. how about him?
Former Home Kid

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Nov 21, 2008
 
I think Linda was the one to pass away first. Theresa told me about Lucy. They still have a sister somewhere in the area, because I went to school with the sister's oldest son. She and her husband went to church at Lebanon Church of Christ at one time. If Teresa hasn't been e-mailing you, she lives right beside "The Lake". She has built herself a cabin there. You might try paying her a visit. Sue Ann T. Lives outside of Lynville because I went to school with both of her kids too. I would like to find out who owns the old home place now, because I want to go back into the old boys building and see the room where my parents and I lived. I got the opportunity to go in it about 20 years ago shortly before I moved here, and I was amazed at how small it was. That room with the bathroom off to the side of it looked a lot bigger when we lived in it.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Jimmy S. was Billy's brother. I think I may have located Billy somewhere in Tennesee. Like you, I'm still trying to locate the others.

Are you related to Barry Sadler? I went to school with him at Sedalia.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Nov 21, 2008
 
http://paradisefriendlyhome.com/
I really have no clue about this place you all are talking about, being in my 20's and all.:-) It did make me a little curious so I googled it and found this web site(posted above). You may already know about it but I thought I'd try to help.

Since: Nov 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Nov 21, 2008
 
Bobby sadler wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew a lot of the home kid's. I know that Jan Cornwell lives in paducah, KY. Jimmy Saylor is a Ky State Trooper.
I emailed treasa, she hasn't emailed me anymore. I road the Girls bus going to Sedalia school. I was wondering the same thing about a reunion. I would even like to see them. Raymond m. one of the gray twins has passed away. I can't remember which one lucy or linda.
Hi bobby this is dana barton,i cant get my other profile to work so i had to make another one until i can figure out whats going on.
i tried to find the obama forum you were talking about no luck,.anyway those people are losers,they should give obama a chance i voted for him.
now back to topic,
i know that mrs.pritchard,a retired 5th grade teacher at sedalia,that was her parents that ran that home.she has tried for years to get another place together for misplaced children,she is 70 and is a foster parent,she cares so much about kids!she
even got together with my cousin and tried to get a grant after my cousin spent almost a million dollars on building a youth camp,then had to stop buliding cos he ran out of money and no one would help him.now hes just trying to sell it,it would of been a great thing if it got finished.

i remember at sedalia alot of those kids would come to school,and my mom explained to me what an orphanage was,and i cried.still to this day,makes me want to cry to see kids go through such things.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Nov 22, 2008
 
Former Home Kid wrote:
I think Linda was the one to pass away first. Theresa told me about Lucy. They still have a sister somewhere in the area, because I went to school with the sister's oldest son. She and her husband went to church at Lebanon Church of Christ at one time. If Teresa hasn't been e-mailing you, she lives right beside "The Lake". She has built herself a cabin there. You might try paying her a visit. Sue Ann T. Lives outside of Lynville because I went to school with both of her kids too. I would like to find out who owns the old home place now, because I want to go back into the old boys building and see the room where my parents and I lived. I got the opportunity to go in it about 20 years ago shortly before I moved here, and I was amazed at how small it was. That room with the bathroom off to the side of it looked a lot bigger when we lived in it.
If I'm not mistaken, I think Jimmy S. was Billy's brother. I think I may have located Billy somewhere in Tennesee. Like you, I'm still trying to locate the others.
Are you related to Barry Sadler? I went to school with him at Sedalia.
I am Barrys brother. What is your name, if you wan to tell me.The Parms own all of the land. I ask Teresa if she lived in the trailer and she hasn't emailed me anymore?????
I went to Sedalia High school for 13 years. I know just about all of the home kids.I think where the boys stayed is gone, I think. The gym is still there but, it is used for something for cattle.Hulon Chambers passed away earlier this year. Johnny Chambers passed away about 2 or 3 years ago. I see Rocky C. sowmtimes.Jan C. came by my house a long, long long time ago. I haven't seen him since. I would like to see Jimmy S. And Hubert M. And Linda M. Rocky has a sister but, I can't remember her name. Do you live in St. Louis?
How about Novella Ellis, I was in the 5th or 6th grade with her. I would like to see her,again. And Carrie. Can't remember her last name.
God Bless,

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Nov 22, 2008
 
The Alchemist wrote:
<quoted text>Hi bobby this is dana barton,i cant get my other profile to work so i had to make another one until i can figure out whats going on.
i tried to find the obama forum you were talking about no luck,.anyway those people are losers,they should give obama a chance i voted for him.
now back to topic,
i know that mrs.pritchard,a retired 5th grade teacher at sedalia,that was her parents that ran that home.she has tried for years to get another place together for misplaced children,she is 70 and is a foster parent,she cares so much about kids!she
even got together with my cousin and tried to get a grant after my cousin spent almost a million dollars on building a youth camp,then had to stop buliding cos he ran out of money and no one would help him.now hes just trying to sell it,it would of been a great thing if it got finished.
i remember at sedalia alot of those kids would come to school,and my mom explained to me what an orphanage was,and i cried.still to this day,makes me want to cry to see kids go through such things.
Hello Dana,
The Obama thing was a priest saying that it was a sin to vote for Obama.
Back to the home kids. I wish someone would some how find a way to build a place for misplaced kids. I know Mrs. Prichard. Her husband is Gene. How is your cousin?
How come I can't get on anybodies elses profile in here?
I can only get on my own.
How are you doing now days Dana? I see your dad sometimes.
Well, have a good day & God Bless,

Since: Nov 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Nov 22, 2008
 
Bobby sadler wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Dana,
The Obama thing was a priest saying that it was a sin to vote for Obama.
Back to the home kids. I wish someone would some how find a way to build a place for misplaced kids. I know Mrs. Prichard. Her husband is Gene. How is your cousin?
How come I can't get on anybodies elses profile in here?
I can only get on my own.
How are you doing now days Dana? I see your dad sometimes.
Well, have a good day & God Bless,
i think toips is having a glitch.
a sin to vote for obama lol, it was a sin NOT to!(jking)
i hope he can mend this economic mess were in.
im doing good,im about to be a grandma for the first time,excited about that :D
my cousin is chris c,he really wanted to build a youth camp.then mrs pritchard got in and tried to help so they could also make it a kids home,but no grants no nothing to help them.
mrs pritchard isnt with gene anymore,they been apart for a few yrs,but shes still kickin i tell you for 70 she prolly does more than i do.
my dad and i,eh you prolly see him more than me his wife doesnt like me,so i dont see him much but o well.
kinda sad to drive by the old sedalia school and see it used i had alot of good times going there.
things sure aint like they used to be are they?
how are you getting along thsses days?
how have u been all theese years?

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Nov 22, 2008
 
The Alchemist wrote:
<quoted text>i think toips is having a glitch.
a sin to vote for obama lol, it was a sin NOT to!(jking)
i hope he can mend this economic mess were in.
im doing good,im about to be a grandma for the first time,excited about that :D
my cousin is chris c,he really wanted to build a youth camp.then mrs pritchard got in and tried to help so they could also make it a kids home,but no grants no nothing to help them.
mrs pritchard isnt with gene anymore,they been apart for a few yrs,but shes still kickin i tell you for 70 she prolly does more than i do.
my dad and i,eh you prolly see him more than me his wife doesnt like me,so i dont see him much but o well.
kinda sad to drive by the old sedalia school and see it used i had alot of good times going there.
things sure aint like they used to be are they?
how are you getting along thsses days?
how have u been all theese years?
I might not know Chris C. Yes, I went in to the old school a few years ago. Me and A class mate. It still smelt the same.HA I am getting along very good these day's. Yeah I had a lot of good times at the school,also. Lots!!
I didn't know he was divorced. I live in Tennessee. Married almost 4 years. 2nd marriage. Wish I had met the 2nd one first. Grandma.!!
Your Dad is Tommy,isn't it? My parents know Gene and Martha real good.
God Bless Got to go
Former Home Kid

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Nov 24, 2008
 
Bobby sadler wrote:
<quoted text>
I am Barrys brother. What is your name, if you wan to tell me.The Parms own all of the land. I ask Teresa if she lived in the trailer and she hasn't emailed me anymore?????
I went to Sedalia High school for 13 years. I know just about all of the home kids.I think where the boys stayed is gone, I think. The gym is still there but, it is used for something for cattle.Hulon Chambers passed away earlier this year. Johnny Chambers passed away about 2 or 3 years ago. I see Rocky C. sowmtimes.Jan C. came by my house a long, long long time ago. I haven't seen him since. I would like to see Jimmy S. And Hubert M. And Linda M. Rocky has a sister but, I can't remember her name. Do you live in St. Louis?
How about Novella Ellis, I was in the 5th or 6th grade with her. I would like to see her,again. And Carrie. Can't remember her last name.
God Bless,
I've been having some problems with internet stalkers on another forum, so I would rather not post who I am right now (although Dana knows). But if you will give me your e-mail address I will e-mail you.

I can give you a clue, though. You may remember the couple who lived in the room with the adjoining bathroom off to the side in the boys building for three years. They had a blonde headed toddler in the room with them. that toddler was me. I was sort of taken under the wing of the other home kids, so they "adopted" me as one of their own. A lot of the girls there babysat me. In fact, the Gray twins babysat me some. They taught me my first dirty word. LOL. It rhymed with "spit". My mother through a hissy fit over that one.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mayfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 9 min Cornelius Scudmister 149,965
Gas Station War 9 min back at you 4
what happen to laura and james 1 hr ggjay 1
james kayse 1 hr maynit 1
the vapor station 2 hr .....vapor...... 21
tina & Johnny at pilgrims 2 hr bahahaha 1
where do i apply for pilgrims pride 3 hr Informed 11

Search the Mayfield Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Mayfield Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Mayfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Mayfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Mayfield
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••