Daughter dating an Arab

Daughter dating an Arab

Posted in the Mayfield Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Worried mother

Eddyville, KY

#1 Jan 26, 2013
My 19 year old daughter is a freshman at Murray State. She has started dating an Palestinian Arab boy there. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about American girls dating Arabs. Should I be concerned?
Mom of two

United States

#2 Jan 26, 2013
I would be concerned. They do not view and treat women very well. I would worry that they might marry and have children. Maybe I have seen too many movies, but I would worry that my daughter and/or grandchildren being held against their will in a foreign country.
been there and done that

Eldorado, WI

#3 Jan 26, 2013
He may be a good guy who actually wants out of that culture/lifestyle. HOWEVER, the thing I would be most afraid of is if she were to have his baby. He could kidnap the baby and take it back there with him and the US GOVERNMENT WILL DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO HELP YOU GET THE BABY BACK. Trust me, this is a fact. Also I would be worried that he might try to convert her to Islam. But as I said, he may actually be a good guy. Is he a Christian or a Muslim? If your daughter is going to have a relationship with him my best advise is for her to get him really involved in a good church AND BIRTH CONTROL! But the number one thing is to pray for your daughter's safety and protection and pray for the boy.
I went through this myself years ago.
U must read

Eddyville, KY

#4 Jan 26, 2013
Notgood

Murray, KY

#5 Jan 26, 2013
Don't let her go to his country. If he decides he doesn't want her or she has his child, she will never see this land again!
Parent

New Concord, KY

#6 Jan 26, 2013
Do they believe in marriage first and then having the baby? If so how does that affect things in his culture and does that give the woman any sort of equal rights?
been there done that

Glenview, IL

#7 Jan 27, 2013
While Islam teaches that a sexually immoral lifestyle is a sin, the men have provisions for when they want to have a fling. They can make up some agreement (on paper a lot of times) and the woman will be paid in whatever they agree on for her servfices, be it money, a dress or whatever. This is also if the man is married. The majority of Middle Eastern area Muslims toss their morals and Islam out the window when they come here. They drink, smoke dope, have sex with as many American women as possible, ect. A lot of them try to marry an American woman so they can stay here. It is not fair to say that they are all bad but the majority that I have known, they might get shot if they got near my daughter.
Clearly not Bob

Paducah, KY

#9 Jan 27, 2013
Worried mother wrote:
My 19 year old daughter is a freshman at Murray State. She has started dating an Palestinian Arab boy there. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about American girls dating Arabs. Should I be concerned?
Get her out of that school and into one where she will learn something other than liberal state sponsored propoganda. I personally saw that school turn two good minds into liberal spouting sh*t for brains.
MSU Alumni

Paducah, KY

#10 Jan 27, 2013
Clearly not Bob wrote:
<quoted text>Get her out of that school and into one where she will learn something other than liberal state sponsored propoganda. I personally saw that school turn two good minds into liberal spouting sh*t for brains.
I have bachelors and masters degrees from MSU. It is a fine school, with a faculty that is one of the best in the nation. It teaches kids to think for themselves. Everybody I met there also tried to impart the virtue of judging a person on his or her own personal merits, not some cultural stereotype that more than likely is itself either false or a kind of charicature of what the culture really is.

Ignore this guy.
Another Alumnus

Mayfield, KY

#11 Jan 27, 2013
Clearly not Bob wrote:
<quoted text>Get her out of that school and into one where she will learn something other than liberal state sponsored propoganda. I personally saw that school turn two good minds into liberal spouting sh*t for brains.
I have both an undergraduate & graduate degree from Murray as well and you couldn't be more wrong about that university. MSU consistently ranks in the top 20 schools in the nation in terms of value for your tuition dollar spent. Independent thought is encouraged, in some cases demanded, and the university has one of the larger percentages of PhD to student ratios.
Anon

Louisville, KY

#12 Jan 27, 2013
Another Alumnus wrote:
<quoted text>
I have both an undergraduate & graduate degree from Murray as well and you couldn't be more wrong about that university. MSU consistently ranks in the top 20 schools in the nation in terms of value for your tuition dollar spent. Independent thought is encouraged, in some cases demanded, and the university has one of the larger percentages of PhD to student ratios.
You just proved Clearly not Bob right. MSU teaches independent thought. That's exactly what most conservatives don't want.
MSU Alumni

Paducah, KY

#13 Jan 27, 2013
There were several Middle Eastern guys at MSU while I was there and almost all of them were really nice. They are kind of old fashioned polite.

One graduate student was a Turkish guy that had been an officer in the Turkish army. I've never met anybody nicer. He had an American girlfriend and after her parents got to know him for what he really was they liked him. I got to know an Arab from Bahrain pretty well. He was the same way. Whole time he was there he never had a girlfriend and never tried to just because he was afraid somebody would accuse him of the kind of nonsense that some people have put on here.
been there done that

United States

#14 Jan 27, 2013
I am also an alumni of MSU: BS, MS, MA. It totally depends on what department you are talking about as far as being encouraged to think for yourself. The last department I was in was ran by self professed "post-modern" liberals. As a conservative Christian, believe me, they did not like "free thinking." They tried to force political correctness down our throats daily. Being a Christian I really didn't fit in. Every view was supposed to be tolerated except mine! I was reprimanded several times.(It didn't do them any good because I wasn't a youngster.) There was one professor who would go on trips to the Middle East and Southeast Asia then come back to class belly aching about how evil the United States was and how we had treated the rest of the world so badly and how everybody hated us. I got sooo tired of hearing his crap!
If a kid is not pretty strong in their beliefs I can see them having a problem there. You might send one kid to school and have a completely different one when they come back home.
been there done that

United States

#15 Jan 27, 2013
Worried mother wrote:
My 19 year old daughter is a freshman at Murray State. She has started dating an Palestinian Arab boy there. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about American girls dating Arabs. Should I be concerned?
Btw, the professor I am talking about probably recruited the Palestinian boy your daughter is seeing.
MSU Alumni

Providence, KY

#16 Jan 27, 2013
been there done that wrote:
I am also an alumni of MSU: BS, MS, MA. It totally depends on what department you are talking about as far as being encouraged to think for yourself. The last department I was in was ran by self professed "post-modern" liberals. As a conservative Christian, believe me, they did not like "free thinking." They tried to force political correctness down our throats daily. Being a Christian I really didn't fit in. Every view was supposed to be tolerated except mine! I was reprimanded several times.(It didn't do them any good because I wasn't a youngster.) There was one professor who would go on trips to the Middle East and Southeast Asia then come back to class belly aching about how evil the United States was and how we had treated the rest of the world so badly and how everybody hated us. I got sooo tired of hearing his crap!
If a kid is not pretty strong in their beliefs I can see them having a problem there. You might send one kid to school and have a completely different one when they come back home.
Just what department was it?

I was considered a right winger, and I never encountered anything like that. A few professors told me that they didn't agree with me a few times but that is not a "reprimand."
The Stinker

Murray, KY

#17 Jan 27, 2013
Worried mother wrote:
My 19 year old daughter is a freshman at Murray State. She has started dating an Palestinian Arab boy there. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about American girls dating Arabs. Should I be concerned?
You have every reason to be concerned, however explain to the young man that it is an old family custom for the mother of the young lady to remove the boyfriend's penis and testicles with a butcher knife in order to protect the family honor. That should scare him off.

Another idea would be to talk to your daughter about this, but that could backfire. She could accuse you of meddling and that could make her more determined to continue dating this guy.

Another suggestion would be to do nothing and hope for the best, but if the worst happens and if she leaves the country with this fellow and if that should happen, then there's a possibility you'll never see or hear from her again.

Another alternative is prayer and a lot of it. Whatever happens, good luck and I hope everything works out ok.
Umar

United States

#18 Jan 27, 2013
We take American woman back as trophy.
Insufficient info

Providence, KY

#19 Jan 28, 2013
Worried mother wrote:
My 19 year old daughter is a freshman at Murray State. She has started dating an Palestinian Arab boy there. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about American girls dating Arabs. Should I be concerned?
You have not given people much to go on here. You say that the kid is a Palestinian Arab, but most Americans don't know the difference between a Palestinian, a Saudi, an Egyptian, a Moroccan, etc. nor that there are considerable cultural differences. A lot of Americans don't even know that Turks, Kurds, Iranians, Afghans, and Pakistanis are not Arabs.

Everybody seems to seize on "take her back to his country" the country they seem to be thinking about is Saudi Arabia. Your daughter's boyfriend is Palestinian. "His country" might just be Israel, 20 percent of whose citizens are Palestinian Arabs. His home could also be the occupied West Bank or Gaza.
been there done that

United States

#20 Jan 28, 2013
MSU Alumni wrote:
<quoted text>
Just what department was it?
I was considered a right winger, and I never encountered anything like that. A few professors told me that they didn't agree with me a few times but that is not a "reprimand."
I don't believe I should say which department that was. They might could cause me some grief. I'm sure they remember me! lol I remember sitting in class one day and the professor trying to tell us that different things are right/acceptable for different people. For example, if in a certain country/culture it is acceptable to rape women - then it was not wrong for them to do that. Of course I argued that NO, there was right and wrong no matter who or where you were. They were full of screwed up thinking like that and tried their best to convince students of whatever bull they came up with.
I was told to quit talking about Christian topics and told to apologize one time. I didn't! The American professors had a problem with me but the foreign professors had no problem whatsoever with me or whatever I might decide to do a report on or talk about. I actually went to the foreign professors and asked them if they had a problem with certain things and they said no. The American professors were a whole different story!

The professor I got the sickest of was the one who would go on his trips to the Middle East and Southeast Asia and bring back his propaganda! He would just put the actual work we were supposed to be doing aside and go off on his apology tour report, telling us how bad the United States is. Then there was the time that one professor was pissed off because at one of the musical programs they actually had the nerve to play the Star Spangled Banner! She said that it was too "militaristic" and that this was a university and those sort of songs should not be played! Oh my gosh that went all over me! I did remind her that MSU was in the United States not the UN and that it was funded by AMERICAN tax dollars! Those idiots get by with that stuff because a young student has a hard time standing up to them and even if they do want to speak out they worry that it will cost them grade-wise. That is how they spread their liberal nonsense!

You would all be surprised just how liberal and anti-American sections of Murray State University are. I would not allow my kids to enroll with a major in certain departments! If your kid is not strong in what they believe there is a dang good chance that they will be brainwashed. If they are strong in their beliefs they will have a struggle to make it through certain programs. Believe me, there are professors there who do not like it when you do not agree with them and there is a good chance that your grades will reflect that.
been there done that

United States

#21 Jan 28, 2013
Insufficient info wrote:
<quoted text>
You have not given people much to go on here. You say that the kid is a Palestinian Arab, but most Americans don't know the difference between a Palestinian, a Saudi, an Egyptian, a Moroccan, etc. nor that there are considerable cultural differences. A lot of Americans don't even know that Turks, Kurds, Iranians, Afghans, and Pakistanis are not Arabs.
Everybody seems to seize on "take her back to his country" the country they seem to be thinking about is Saudi Arabia. Your daughter's boyfriend is Palestinian. "His country" might just be Israel, 20 percent of whose citizens are Palestinian Arabs. His home could also be the occupied West Bank or Gaza.
I recall a few years ago there was a young American girl that went to Gaza with her boyfriend. It was all over the news. Her parents were afraid she had been kidnapped. They even had an interview with the boy. I believe she finally came back.

I am sure there are good people in Gaza and the West Bank BUT considering those who are not good, how would you know who is who? And don't forget, according to Islam, it is 100% acceptable to lie for the sake of Islam. I forgot the Islamic word for it, but that is a fact.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mayfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evangelical Christians: the most hypocritical g... 31 min Steve 25
Those that criticize Christians are the first a... 1 hr scriptures 9
Psycho Mexican Manager at Catos in Mayfield is ... 2 hr Its-sad 5
John hernandez 8 hr Warning ya 1
So what's up with this new ordinance? 8 hr Karla 13
News Regarding The Jessica Currin Case (Apr '09) 10 hr Hello 170
Coons 10 hr Forrest Gump 2

Mayfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mayfield Mortgages