Mayfield Council passes smoking ban

Posted in the Mayfield Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Mayfield Citizen

Middlesboro, KY

#1 Jul 8, 2013
The Mayfield City Council passed a smoking ban in public places on a 5 to 4 vote. Jana Adams and 3 other council members voted no. They indicated that they did not want to impose regulations on businesses. This reasoning does not make sense when you consider that government routinely regulates many aspects of business such as food safety, parking requirements, and sign regulations. Why was it such a big deal? Paducah has had a smoking ordinance for several years, and many people from Mayfield routinely dine and shop there.
I applaud the council members that did the right thing,and voted for the smoking ban.
lah

Owensboro, KY

#2 Jul 8, 2013
I haven't been a smoker in a long time but its just another freedom taken away.
MerpaDerp

Mayfield, KY

#3 Jul 8, 2013
Now if they could just ban the blue haired ladies from wearing, er, bathing in, that nasty perfume that triggers my asthma, maybe I could eat in these restaurants.

What is next Mayor? Ban trans fats? Ban large sodas?

Goodness knows I am a moron and need the government to pass these laws otherwise I just might be stupid and do those bad things. Thank you for protecting me from me.
I thought they elected Mayor Theresa, not Mother Theresa or Nanny Theresa
Gem

Memphis, TN

#4 Jul 9, 2013
Just gently stripping your Rights and Freedoms away one by one, and nobody cares.
lol

Murray, KY

#5 Jul 9, 2013
Another Freedom taken away???? You guys here are such a joke.Its like you have never left this shit town before. Mayfield is so far behind, people here need to get with the program before your city turns into another American ghost town.
Gem

Memphis, TN

#6 Jul 9, 2013
When the Gov. tells a business owner what they can or cannot do, then that is dictatorship.
glad

Shelbyville, IN

#7 Jul 9, 2013
I'm glad I now have the "freedom" to go eat in a restaurant without breathing toxic air should somebody decide to light up.
lah

Owensboro, KY

#8 Jul 9, 2013
glad wrote:
I'm glad I now have the "freedom" to go eat in a restaurant without breathing toxic air should somebody decide to light up.
So ur right is more important that what another person wants. Ummmm??? Seems a little one sided.
lah

Owensboro, KY

#9 Jul 9, 2013
I'm concerned that smoking is the only concern people seem to have. Do you even know all the pollutants in the air that kill you? All the chemical plants in KY that are putting deadly toxins in our air and water every day? These things are killing you much faster than going to a restaurant and getting a whiff of smoke from the smoking section. Smoking is just an easy target to pin sickness on rather than going after big business. I don't smoke as stated earlier but I believe people have the right to do it if they choose. Is smoking bad overall? Yes it is. It does kill. But if you think eliminating smoking is the solution you are sadly naive. And I can't help but wonder, will we still see smoking at our country clubs? Hummmmm....
Rhinos are embarrasing

Paducah, KY

#10 Jul 9, 2013
The real issue here is that the government has decided it has yet another say in what activity occurs on private property. It is not your right to eat at a restaurant, it is a choice you make. I salute those who voted for freedom. Thank you. It takes guts to swim against the tide of political correctness these days. To those who voted to rescind the rights of business owners, all I have to say is baby, one day they will come for you. Best of luck with your nanny state.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.
James

United States

#13 Jul 9, 2013
glad wrote:
You've always had the "freedom" to eat in a restaurant without breathing the smokey air. It's a simple choice really,if you dont want to breath it, dont go there.
howcome

Chicago, IL

#14 Jul 9, 2013
Why is it that the community gets to vote on wet or dry on alcohol, but a smoking ban is only a city council matter?

Since: Feb 13

Benton, KY

#15 Jul 9, 2013
just glad they have a ban on smoking now hope it goes state wide someday
Mark

Benton, KY

#16 Jul 9, 2013
Health Nazis will want to ban fast food and soda next.
Rhinos are embarrasing

Paducah, KY

#17 Jul 9, 2013
Mayfield has always been behind the times, now we know exactly how far. It's 1984.
Fail

Florence, KY

#18 Jul 9, 2013
I don't get why the mayor is being blamed. She is one person, the vote was 5-4. She's not 5 people! Ooh, it's raining! Blame the mayor! It's too damn hot outside, mayors fault! I'm unhappy with every thing!...mayor.
Can't anyone just be happy? For once?
Please.
MerpaDerp

Mayfield, KY

#19 Jul 10, 2013
Fail wrote:
I don't get why the mayor is being blamed. She is one person, the vote was 5-4. She's not 5 people! Ooh, it's raining! Blame the mayor! It's too damn hot outside, mayors fault! I'm unhappy with every thing!...mayor.
Can't anyone just be happy? For once?
Please.
Maybe if you read her comments in the news you would understand. She pushed for this. She lead the council on this.
THEIR PLACE

Memphis, TN

#20 Jul 10, 2013
Shows why women should stay in the kitchen.
THEIR PLACE

Memphis, TN

#21 Jul 10, 2013
and leave leadership to men that know what they are doing.
lah

Owensboro, KY

#22 Jul 10, 2013
I believe in women leaders. But not her! I've seen way too many mistakes from her lately. One or two mistakes is human but u don't continue to make them over and over! And her little excuse about keeping up with big cities should make her see we don't have big city jobs here!! Maybe she might focus on that rather than parks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mayfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ok cut it 55 min Girl bye 16
Amanda with tanner 4 hr Chomokilla 9
Amanda Roger 4 hr DDD 2
Amanda beth mohler 4 hr DDD 2
Cute black guy in suv 6 hr Looking 3
Madison stephens 7 hr lee 5
Majestic.... 7 hr Evan 13
Do you remember your first sexual experience (Jun '13) Aug 19 nobody 69

Mayfield Jobs

More from around the web