First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Concerned

Hickory, KY

#1 Dec 19, 2013
Cuba will be officially closed at the end of this school year.
voter

Toledo, OH

#2 Dec 19, 2013
It's now time to elect new board members and find a superintendent with some balls
Cuba Parent

Mayfield, KY

#3 Dec 19, 2013
I find it extremely hilarious that ALL with the exception of 1, had the BALLS to close the school! If they would quit worrying about their pocketbooks being full of money to buy themselves extravagant things and not have dished out so much money to build new schools for everyone else, CUBA would not be in this position. ALSO if they would make students go where they were SUPPOSED to go, instead of trnsporting elsewhere, Cuba would have higher enrollment! I believe that the board members are heartless, no backbone, small balled individuals who care more about the green they make each year than the education they are taking away from our kids. May they rest easy every night knowing they have broken HUNDREDS of little hearts!
Who

Toledo, OH

#4 Dec 19, 2013
Cuba Parent wrote:
I find it extremely hilarious that ALL with the exception of 1, had the BALLS to close the school! If they would quit worrying about their pocketbooks being full of money to buy themselves extravagant things and not have dished out so much money to build new schools for everyone else, CUBA would not be in this position. ALSO if they would make students go where they were SUPPOSED to go, instead of trnsporting elsewhere, Cuba would have higher enrollment! I believe that the board members are heartless, no backbone, small balled individuals who care more about the green they make each year than the education they are taking away from our kids. May they rest easy every night knowing they have broken HUNDREDS of little hearts!
Who didn't vote to close?
Cuba Parent

Mayfield, KY

#5 Dec 19, 2013
Mrs. Whittaker
Fed up

Boaz, KY

#6 Dec 19, 2013
These board members must have got their negotiation skills from Obama. Seems since they didn't get their way to more tax money and spending they will make a straight attack on the county tax paying residents and close a school just to prove a point. I bet their is not one of this board members that have a child or grandchild that goes to Cuba or this would not have happened.
Glad taxpayer

Mayfield, KY

#7 Dec 19, 2013
Cuba Parent wrote:
Don't you mean 150 LITTLE HEARTS? I mean...the Cuba students will be going to great schools. They will be fine. What's the big deal? Truly, they have made Cuba's district HUGE and it still can't get enough kids to fill it. Glad they had BALLS to make tough decision. This will help the rest of the district for the future. GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!
My Turn

Sedalia, KY

#8 Dec 19, 2013
Ms. Harrison has it covered for the 1st year. But what about 5 years down the road when those 6 empty classrooms at Wingo & Sedalia won't hold everybody. Then, she will be wanting to spend millions of dollars to construct more classrooms. Take the kids all the way from Bell City going to Wingo or Sedalia. How long will their bus ride be? I am not proud to be a Graves County Eagle tonight!!
Ticked Off Taxpayer

Mayfield, KY

#9 Dec 20, 2013
These board members and Harrison are obviously trying to find monies to fund their Insurance Premiums owed to KYSBIT (KY School Board Insurance Trust). As a result of HUGE mismanagement practices by Galloway, Harrison, Board Members and Finance Director Mays, they owe KYSBIT $737K(+/-). This is inexcusable, and I hope ALL taxpaying voters remembers this when each of these useless board members try to get re-elected. If they do get re-elected, then those that do re-elect them deserve everything coming their way!

Additionally, they now freed up enough monies to fund their FREE VACATIONS with their families and friends in New Orleans, LA in April 2014 at our taxpayer expense. This trip will cost us taxpayers more than $10K! Airfare, car rental, fuel for car rental, parking fees at airport and hotel, hotel room rates (of course each room must have more than one bed), food, fees for attending this useless National School Board Association VACATION, and much, much more addition costs!!!!!

I can guarantee you they plan to sneak in a special meeting to allow them to vote to fund their FREE VACATION in January, February or March 2014. When they schedule this sneak meeting, we all need to be in attendance to watch their shameful behavior!

These people have no shame!!!!! They all need to be replaced with TRUE Representative Individuals that HONESTLY CARE about our kids and the taxpayers that support this School District.

All these board members are worried about is keeping their FREE or REDUCED HEALTH and EYE INSURANCE paid for by we Graves County Taxpayers (even though they are NOT entitled to this Fringe Benefit reserved for employees of the School District. Board Members ARE NOT employees of this School District. Rather, they are "elected officials")!

In addition to FREE or REDUCED advertising fees for their individual business(es) on the Football Billboard, Radio and TV during sporting events; and let's not forget their FREE VACATIONS, also paid for by we taxpayers (Louisville, New Orleans, Frankfort, and many other places each year). No doubt, there are MANY MORE PERKS they enjoy -- payable by we taxpayers of course.
Fed Up

Sacramento, KY

#10 Dec 20, 2013
My Turn wrote:
Take the kids all the way from Bell City going to Wingo or Sedalia. How long will their bus ride be?
Answer: Not nearly as long as their bus ride will be when they turn 12 and get to ride the bus to the middle school every day.

All the bleeding-heart liberals on here want to have a school at every damn corner, well the free market has spoken! And fortunately the Tea Party Voice has spoken loud and clear by a margin of 3 to 1!

We will NOT have our taxes increased by 40% just so you can have your school at the corner most convenient to YOU. There are already a half dozen elementary schools run by the government in this county. They need to close one or two more and CUT our taxes, which are already too high!
Cuba Parent

Mayfield, KY

#11 Dec 20, 2013
Glad taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you mean 150 LITTLE HEARTS? I mean...the Cuba students will be going to great schools. They will be fine. What's the big deal? Truly, they have made Cuba's district HUGE and it still can't get enough kids to fill it. Glad they had BALLS to make tough decision. This will help the rest of the district for the future. GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!
They may be going to great schools, however I do NOT see those schools being voted #1 in the state for SAFETY or on of the top Elementary schools. And the BIG DEAL is that if they would try to use the money they have in funds to go towards schools that need it such as Cuba instead of building GRAND buildings for the new Board office and all the additions for the surrounding schools, we would not be in this position. I give this 3 years and the board will be spending WAY OVER the 350k they think they will be saving to build either a new school or add on to Wingo and Sedalia to hold their mess up by switching Cuba students. But I guess education is not on their top agenda. Let's see which of the board members, with the exception of Mrs. Whittaker, sport new rides and bigger salaries next year. Pitiful people with pitiful morals.
Clyde

Madisonville, KY

#12 Dec 20, 2013
What the heck did you people think would happen when you voted down the tax. It's your own fault. They simply don't have the money to run things like they would have.
Voice of Reason

Paducah, KY

#13 Dec 20, 2013
Seems to me the residents made the right decision at the voting booth and the school board made the right decision to close Cuba. Cuba is a community of the past, it's almost gone. If you want to live out there that's fine, but if you want your kid to go to government school, he is going to have to ride a bus for a little while. This anger about closing it is absurd.
Voice of Reason

Paducah, KY

#14 Dec 20, 2013
Clyde wrote:
What the heck did you people think would happen when you voted down the tax. It's your own fault. They simply don't have the money to run things like they would have.
It's not a fault, buddy boy.
parent

Robbinsville, NC

#15 Dec 20, 2013
This is yet another showing of poor management skills and the wrong decision made. Cuba is one of the best schools in the county with a rich tradition and the only state basketball champs up to this point in al of our history. We need a petition drive started to save the school. It is a sad day in Graves co when any school is closed, but when you have one that is outstanding such as Cuba, it is a terrible. The board should be ashamed of themselves.
parent

Robbinsville, NC

#16 Dec 20, 2013
The majority of The board is heartless and does not care about the children of Cuba school.
really

Denver, CO

#17 Dec 20, 2013
has anyone been inside the lowes school lately? that place is a wreck and it is the oldest school currently in the county. why would they not close that school and send those kids to fancy farm? I'm sure it takes alot more money to upkeep that school than it does cuba. Oh wait i know why because mrs. whitakers family are alum from lowes.
concerned parent

Mayfield, KY

#18 Dec 20, 2013
parent wrote:
The majority of The board is heartless and does not care about the children of Cuba school.
The board and superintendent is not only heartless and does not care about the children of Cuba school. No, they simply don't care about ANY child in Graves County.

Look what they're doing to Lowes -- this school board, superintendent and finance director intentionally committed Insurance Fraud. They accepted $50K from the Insurance Company to repair their roof, and then failed to do so. Instead they simply paid a "contractor" $12K to declare these repairs were not needed. Then they deposited the remaining monies in their General Fund to pay for their free vacations in New Orleans in April 2014. The people of Lowes should be all too familiar with this scheme of theirs, simply to avoid making those badly needed repairs to Lowes Elementary's roof that has been leaking for years.

It's very obvious that the only reason they continue to be board members and superintendent is because they can continue to receive and enjoy their selfish PERKS that only they are allowed to enjoy at our taxpayer expense: Free or reduced Health care and eye insurance, subsidized by us taxpayers; Free vacations paid for by us taxpayers; free or reduced advertising fees for their personal businesses, and who knows how many other perks.

We have got to vote these selfish and heartless people off the board and replace them with responsible and honestly caring individuals. Then we need to get rid of Harrison and find a true and caring superintendent.

I hope everyone remembers these selfish and unforgiveable acts when it is time to go to the voting booth and vote for board members.
concerned parent

Mayfield, KY

#19 Dec 20, 2013
concerned parent wrote:
<quoted text>
The board and superintendent is not only heartless and does not care about the children of Cuba school. No, they simply don't care about ANY child in Graves County.
Look what they're doing to Lowes -- this school board, superintendent and finance director intentionally committed Insurance Fraud. They accepted $50K from the Insurance Company to repair their roof, and then failed to do so. Instead they simply paid a "contractor" $12K to declare these repairs were not needed. Then they deposited the remaining monies in their General Fund to pay for their free vacations in New Orleans in April 2014. The people of Lowes should be all too familiar with this scheme of theirs, simply to avoid making those badly needed repairs to Lowes Elementary's roof that has been leaking for years.
It's very obvious that the only reason they continue to be board members and superintendent is because they can continue to receive and enjoy their selfish PERKS that only they are allowed to enjoy at our taxpayer expense: Free or reduced Health care and eye insurance, subsidized by us taxpayers; Free vacations paid for by us taxpayers; free or reduced advertising fees for their personal businesses, and who knows how many other perks.
We have got to vote these selfish and heartless people off the board and replace them with responsible and honestly caring individuals. Then we need to get rid of Harrison and find a true and caring superintendent.
I hope everyone remembers these selfish and unforgiveable acts when it is time to go to the voting booth and vote for board members.
Oh yeah, and let's not forget about their new Food Service Director that is being paid 171% MORE than Leah Mills, the previous Food Service Director that retired ($77K vs.$45K -- does not include Fringe Benefits). Simply because, and Harrison put it, she has degrees that she should be compensated for. It is also suspected that she is a friend of Harrison and Galloway's.

Here's a thought: Why not compensate her for her degrees by allowing her to do what she got her degrees for -- TEACH!!! Then, someone that truly needs this job could fill this position.

And another thought, why do we need TWO Assistant Superintendent that are paid an addition $22K just because they have this Title of "Assistant Superintendent?" Why not drop these titles, and require them to do their job at the appropriate salaries of $76K (+/-) vs.$98K -- again, does not include Fringe Benefits?

I guess this thought process simply shows FAR TOO MUCH COMMON SENSE for this school board and superintendent.
crock

Toledo, OH

#20 Dec 20, 2013
consolidating schools worst thing graves co ever did in 50 years now were paying for it,instead of fixing up the old schools and leaving them alone we throw them all together makes for more headaches and troubles and less time for each child.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mayfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ok cut it 4 min Jajajajaja 64
Tori Shaw 1 hr Potless 15
Susan and cupcake owens 2 hr Yep 13
Shane Handley or Hendley? (Feb '13) 5 hr love him he so great 6
Meth head 6 hr Pjack 7
Protest city hall aug 30 7 hr Wolverine 51
Calvinism 11 hr Human 24
Do you remember your first sexual experience (Jun '13) Aug 19 nobody 69

Mayfield Jobs

More from around the web