rabbit ears

Kingston, IL

#1 Dec 3, 2012
Who has given up satellite and cable and are now watching the free channels?
tiny

Benton, KY

#2 Dec 3, 2012
The poor have.
rabbit ears

Kingston, IL

#3 Dec 3, 2012
tiny wrote:
The poor have.
I doubt it. Cell phones, cable/satellite and cigarettes are the very last thing to go. lol
Unknown

Beaumont, TX

#4 Dec 3, 2012
obama and the dems will take care of yall.
rabbit ears

Kingston, IL

#5 Dec 4, 2012
tiny wrote:
The poor have.
These comments remind me of an elderly lady I once knew. To look at her and be around her you would think she was dead broke and barely existing, pitiful! I don't remember ever seeing a tv in her house. She didn't drive or own a car. Her clothes were all old and long out of style. The only food I ever saw in her kitchen came in a white box with a black label on it (generic). That was actually the first time I had ever seen generic food. Even though she was elderly (in her 80's) she worked hard on her farm every single day like her very existance depended on it. She had no financial debt. The truth was that she was a millionaire! She had so much money that THE PRESIDENT of the bank would personally come get her so she could do her banking and take her where ever else she needed to go. He did that when there was snow and ice on the road because it was then that nobody else would take her! I remember taking her to the bank one time. When she walked in the door every employee in there stopped what they were doing and greeted her. When she died she left behind a couple million dollars in the bank plus property worth even more than that.
Bottom line, it is really very foolish to assume that somebody is poor just because they are not like everybody else. Just because they choose not to live the same life and be a slave to all the things that everybody else is does not always reflect on their financial status.
Oh by the way, that lady did not inherit any of that money. She made it all herself after her husband died.
Mayfield fan

Sacramento, KY

#6 Dec 6, 2012
I cut off the overpriced cable over a year ago and watch anything I want on Hulu for 8 bucks a month. Don't miss cable a bit.
rabbit ears

United States

#7 Dec 6, 2012
Mayfield fan wrote:
I cut off the overpriced cable over a year ago and watch anything I want on Hulu for 8 bucks a month. Don't miss cable a bit.
You are a wise one! Google "free tv stations" and check out all the free stuff you can get. I really like the retro channels. I cut off satellite about two years ago because I got tired of them acting like the dang mafia. They lie to you but expect you to follow the rules they come up with. I hate contracts! I won't even have contract cell phone service. It's Straight Talk,$45 a month unlimited everything for me, with an android smart phone. So many people act like you have to have all that other crap to be able to "live the American dream" or something! LOL I prefer a little financial freedom myself. I see that now Straight Talk has come up with home phone service for $15 a month, I believe unlimited nationwide calling. They are apt to put the phone companies out of business! I think I am going to check on that. If they allow international calls I may get it.
I phone

Benton, KY

#8 Dec 6, 2012
rabbit ears wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a wise one! Google "free tv stations" and check out all the free stuff you can get. I really like the retro channels. I cut off satellite about two years ago because I got tired of them acting like the dang mafia. They lie to you but expect you to follow the rules they come up with. I hate contracts! I won't even have contract cell phone service. It's Straight Talk,$45 a month unlimited everything for me, with an android smart phone. So many people act like you have to have all that other crap to be able to "live the American dream" or something! LOL I prefer a little financial freedom myself. I see that now Straight Talk has come up with home phone service for $15 a month, I believe unlimited nationwide calling. They are apt to put the phone companies out of business! I think I am going to check on that. If they allow international calls I may get it.
As soon as my AT&T contract is up, I am going to straight talk. My question is, can I use my I Phone with straight talk or do I have to get a certain type of phone?
rabbit ears

United States

#9 Dec 6, 2012
I phone wrote:
<quoted text>
As soon as my AT&T contract is up, I am going to straight talk. My question is, can I use my I Phone with straight talk or do I have to get a certain type of phone?
I'm not sure but I think if you can get your Iphone jailbroke you can use it with Straight Talk. You could call them and ask. Straight Talk is through Trac Phone (sp?) but they have phones that run off of either ATT or Verizon. I have Verizon and my boyfriend has ATT. Both work great around here. Mine (Verizon) won't work in a large part of the state - about Central City almost all the way into Louisville. His ATT worked fine all the way. But I got Verizon because they kept their service up during the ice storm and ATT didn't. I'm not really sure if they use any other towers besides those two or not. That Samsung Galaxy something or another through Straight Talk looks pretty dang nice! Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
rabbit ears

United States

#10 Dec 6, 2012
I am a cheapo and I love a deal. I had been wanting a Ipod for a good while but I was too cheap to buy one. I don't like to spend much money on things that I don't need. A couple weeks ago I bought an Ipod Classic 120GB for $30. I showed it to my nephews and was telling them that I was "with it" now! LOL Of course they all rolled their eyes at me and one really laughed and said, "what's that!" -(because it is one of the older Ipod Classics). lol The oldest took it and was looking at it then he started freaking because it has nearly 4,000 songs already on it that he loves. He offered to trade me his new Ipod Touch for it. Okay, if you really need a laugh... I had to call that nephew when I got the Ipod so he could tell me how to turn it on! LOL
truth speaker

Louisville, KY

#11 Dec 8, 2012
I have been handling other people’s money for a while now and it’s comes down to this; People HAVE money or they spend money. Most people can't or don’t do both.
rabbit ears

Lansing, IL

#12 Dec 8, 2012
truth speaker wrote:
I have been handling other people’s money for a while now and it’s comes down to this; People HAVE money or they spend money. Most people can't or don’t do both.
I had much rather do more having than spending. lol If there was some never ending supply that might be a different story! HA!
subscriber

Mayfield, KY

#13 Dec 8, 2012
Are you kidding me?! They have always went out of their way to fix any issue I have ever had, quickly. See if AT&T, dish, or direct tv will come out and fix something that you screwed up that day for free. They aren't always the cheapest but their service is great. Remember you get what you pay for.
rabbit ears

Lansing, IL

#14 Dec 8, 2012
subscriber wrote:
Are you kidding me?! They have always went out of their way to fix any issue I have ever had, quickly. See if AT&T, dish, or direct tv will come out and fix something that you screwed up that day for free. They aren't always the cheapest but their service is great. Remember you get what you pay for.
I was lied to by DirecTV in so many ways it's not ever funny. If you like them you can sure have them, not me. They are just not for me. I will tell you about two lies among many... They promised me a certain payment every single month, which was a lie because it ended up being much higher. They promised me a $100 gift card for signing up, another lie. Shortly after they had me signed up they didn't know anything about the gift card. There was lie after lie and manipulation. I don't need it and don't have to have it. Oh yeah I could have afforded even the higher bill they were charging every month but why should I give some company who wants to treat customers like they did me my money. No thanks! I advise anybody who is thinking about going with DirecTV or any other company to go to the Better Business Bureau website and check them out carefully before you get into a contract with them.
If you are having good luck with them, good.
rabbit ears

Lansing, IL

#15 Dec 8, 2012
subscriber wrote:
As far as ATT, why sign up for a high priced contract when you can have ATT (or Verizon) at a much cheaper price and no contract? I don't know you so I am not talking about you and I mean no disrespect, but I think "a contract" is like a status symbol to a lot of people. It's just not necessary. I have had Straight Talk ($45/month) for around three years and I have never had a problem wiith them. They have always fixed any issues I have had but I can't recall many issues at all.

Call me crazy but I love financial freedom and I hope to have more of it!
rabbit ears

Wonder Lake, IL

#16 Dec 10, 2012
For those who love all of your "technology" check this article out: http://offgridsurvival.com/verizonspyinyourow...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mayfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
keep a word...drop a word (Oct '14) 3 hr Amy C 54
Is there a girl out there bored? 21 hr Fun 7
cleaning service Sun Bounce 11
Sarah at longhorn Sun Wannatryher 1
Graves Co. Jailer Randy robbed own employees an... Sun Chinky 80
Trump's war on media anomymous sources Sun Trumpet 2
Carrs waitresses Sat Pos 2

Mayfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance