First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pat Morgan

Dayton, TN

#22 Jul 14, 2011
Hi....I attended Camp Broadlea from 1963 until 1967, as a camper and then a Counselor. We had the Green & Gold teams, Christmas in July....Musical shows that we did for parents & guests along with water shows in the pool...at the end of the season we had a banquet where awards were given out to the campers....head counselor at the time was Beryl Herdt(sp)...I also went to the High School and graduated in 1967....this place was beautiful......
GMU Hokie

Falls Church, VA

#23 Jul 14, 2011
Judging by aerial photos,the facilities at 150 Broadlea Road, Goshen NY appear to have changed little over the years. Anyone wishing to see compare the property for the years 2006 and 1975 can visit http://historicaerials.com . Enter 150 Broadlea Road Goshen NY and click on the COMPARE section. Go ahead, play with it. It is free.
GMU Hokie

Falls Church, VA

#24 Jul 14, 2011
Beryl Herdt joined the Sisters of Saint Dominic late in life.
Pat Morgan wrote:
Hi....I attended Camp Broadlea from 1963 until 1967, as a camper and then a Counselor. We had the Green & Gold teams, Christmas in July....Musical shows that we did for parents & guests along with water shows in the pool...at the end of the season we had a banquet where awards were given out to the campers....head counselor at the time was Beryl Herdt(sp)...I also went to the High School and graduated in 1967....this place was beautiful......
Ginny Starks

Clemson, SC

#25 Jul 2, 2012
George CCHS 65 wrote:
Can you give me an idea what went on at this school, what was taught and did nuns operated the school. I'm just trying to get an idea of what type of environment my aunt worked in. I'm not sure when she stated working there but her name was Rose (Roselyn).
<quoted text>
George, I just went on this site for the first time. I went to the school for four years...the nuns did run it and it taught all the subjects that any other high school taught. I worked in the kitchen to get money off my tuition and Rose also worked in the kitchen. She was a character. I remember her making pies. She had a lot of energy... I graduated in 1969 and the school closed not too long after that.
George CCHS 1965

New Windsor, NY

#26 Jul 2, 2012
Ginny Starks wrote:
<quoted text> George, I just went on this site for the first time. I went to the school for four years...the nuns did run it and it taught all the subjects that any other high school taught. I worked in the kitchen to get money off my tuition and Rose also worked in the kitchen. She was a character. I remember her making pies. She had a lot of energy... I graduated in 1969 and the school closed not too long after that.
Ginny, thanks so much for this information. Aunt Rose was a lovely person. She died in 1971 and her only daughter died just a few months ago. I wish I could have given the daughter this information. Aunt Rose the first of 12 children so I guess she would need to have a lot of energy.
christine isaacks

Doylestown, PA

#27 Jul 29, 2012
I went to camp there from 1960 to 1967. The same great memories. swimming, tennis, golf, horseback riding.
Mary-Jane

Stamford, CT

#28 Feb 26, 2013
I went to Broadlea as a camper in the late 40's, early 50's. Then became a counselor. Eventually became head waterfront counselor when Beryl Herdt was first head counselor. Wonderful summers with great memories. Just had a mini-reunion-three camper/counselors met in Vero Beach and shared memories and updates.We learned that Beryl is now Sr. Beryl OP. Visited Broadlea in July and as has been mentioned, the buildings and campus are now devoted to a number of social services. The pool has been filled in! When standing on the front lawn I could almost hear the strains of "Day is Done" as we sang it all those years ago. QUOTE who="Pat Morgan"]Hi...I went to Camp Broadlea from 1963 until 1967. I started as a camper and ended up a Counselor. I rememberthe Green & Gold Teams....Christmas In July....the Shows we put on for the parents & guests both in front of the Stone Building and then the water show in the Pool. I remember the Head Counselor for many years Beryl Herdt? A few other names: Mary Callaghan, Vicki Attard...Any info from anyone out there that was part of this era....lets chat...I also attended the High School and graduated in 1967.
CCHS 1965

New Windsor, NY

#29 Feb 26, 2013
Mary-Jane wrote:
I went to Broadlea as a camper in the late 40's, early 50's. Then became a counselor. Eventually became head waterfront counselor when Beryl Herdt was first head counselor. Wonderful summers with great memories. Just had a mini-reunion-three camper/counselors met in Vero Beach and shared memories and updates.We learned that Beryl is now Sr. Beryl OP. Visited Broadlea in July and as has been mentioned, the buildings and campus are now devoted to a number of social services. The pool has been filled in! When standing on the front lawn I could almost hear the strains of "Day is Done" as we sang it all those years ago. QUOTE who="Pat Morgan"]Hi...I went to Camp Broadlea from 1963 until 1967. I started as a camper and ended up a Counselor. I rememberthe Green & Gold Teams....Christmas In July....the Shows we put on for the parents & guests both in front of the Stone Building and then the water show in the Pool. I remember the Head Counselor for many years Beryl Herdt? A few other names: Mary Callaghan, Vicki Attard...Any info from anyone out there that was part of this era....lets chat...I also attended the High School and graduated in 1967.
Marry Jane, do you happen to have any photos of the ground, buildings or employees. I have learned that my aunt was a 1st aid nurse there somewhere between 1960 to 1969. Prior to that I think she worked. She also worked at Orange Farms as a 1st aid nurse if anyone knows anything about this place.
George CCHS 1965

New Windsor, NY

#30 Feb 26, 2013
George CCHS 65 wrote:
My aunt worked at a school called Broadlea during the 1960s. Can anyone give me any information about the old Broadlea school? I found the location today off Knoell Rd and Broadlea Rd. It is now Migrant Head Start facility.
Does anyone have any photos of the buildings, grounds and employees from 1960 until 1971? Or how about Orange Farms?
Cindy White

Goshen, NY

#31 Mar 1, 2013
Dear George,
Hi! I remember your Aunt Rose. She worked in the kitchen with Sr. Dionysia the head cook. She was a very sweet woman who helped in the kitchen and helped to serve us girls. I remember her often giving us "extras" on our food trays when the nums weren't looking! I was the very last graduate from the school when it closed in 1971. The girls that attended there came from all over the world - South America, Haiti, Dominican Republic, etc. I was one of the few local girls who attended. I lived there for my junior year and was a "day hop.." for my senior year. It was a wonderful experience and changed my life. I became a Special Education Teacher - now retired - but still keeps in touch with the Nuns. Your Aunt was very kind to us. If you need more info - I still keep in touch with members of my class. Best regards - Cindy
George CCHS 1965

New Windsor, NY

#32 Mar 1, 2013
Cindy White wrote:
Dear George,
Hi! I remember your Aunt Rose. She worked in the kitchen with Sr. Dionysia the head cook. She was a very sweet woman who helped in the kitchen and helped to serve us girls. I remember her often giving us "extras" on our food trays when the nums weren't looking! I was the very last graduate from the school when it closed in 1971. The girls that attended there came from all over the world - South America, Haiti, Dominican Republic, etc. I was one of the few local girls who attended. I lived there for my junior year and was a "day hop.." for my senior year. It was a wonderful experience and changed my life. I became a Special Education Teacher - now retired - but still keeps in touch with the Nuns. Your Aunt was very kind to us. If you need more info - I still keep in touch with members of my class. Best regards - Cindy
Thank you for the kind words of my Aunt. Aunt Rose died in 1971. I wish I could find some photos of her at the school. I have others of her but none while at work. There was a clothing manufacturer located at 50 North St which is a Key Bank now. I wish I could find a photo of that building and her there. I am the genealogist for my family and look for everything and anything. If you can connect me with anyone else please do.
anita Pollioni Damico

Pompano Beach, FL

#33 Mar 26, 2014
I went to Broadlea from 1961 to 1965 and remember Rose well. A few of the girls from Broadlea are on facebook..
George CCHS 1965

New Windsor, NY

#34 Mar 26, 2014
anita Pollioni Damico wrote:
I went to Broadlea from 1961 to 1965 and remember Rose well. A few of the girls from Broadlea are on facebook..
I would love to find a couple of photos of her at work or with you ladies from the time frame. I understand she was a "nurse's aid" or something like that. She was a lovely woman.
George CCHS 1965

New Windsor, NY

#35 Mar 26, 2014
Cindy White wrote:
Dear George,
Hi again Cindy, By chance did you or any of your classmates find any photos of my aunt? Was there a yearbook that might have a photo?
George CCHS 1965

New Windsor, NY

#36 Mar 26, 2014
I've just gone to Broadlea Facebook page and posted a photo of my Aunt Rose. Would like to know if that photo was taken at Broadlea?
Carol Tibbotts Call

Shorewood, IL

#37 May 21, 2014
Pat Morgan wrote:
Hi...I went to Camp Broadlea from 1963 until 1967. I started as a camper and ended up a Counselor. I remember the Green & Gold Teams....Christmas In July....the Shows we put on for the parents & guests both in front of the Stone Building and then the water show in the Pool. I remember the Head Counselor for many years Beryl Herdt? A few other names: Mary Callaghan, Vicki Attard...Any info from anyone out there that was part of this era....lets chat...I also attended the High School and graduated in 1967...
<quoted text>
I remember that Mary Callaghan was related to a boy in my class at St. Christopher's in Baldwin. I remember Ms. Herdt...there was also a Miss Platt, involved in the swim program.
Peggy Pottet

Medford, NY

#38 Sep 5, 2014
We are looking for the class of 67 . Tying to have a reunion .Place and time will be discussed with everyone .Please leave a comment or contact Peggy ( McDonnell) Potter. Or Yvonne (Rucker) Paretzky on our Facebook pages or click on BROADLEA HALL Hope to hear from you all .
Peggy Potter

Ashburn, VA

#39 Sep 5, 2014
George CCHS 65 wrote:
My aunt worked at a school called Broadlea during the 1960s. Can anyone give me any information about the old Broadlea school? I found the location today off Knoell Rd and Broadlea Rd. It is now Migrant Head Start facility.
I graduated from the boarding School then known as the academy of our lady of the Blessed Sacrament .in 1967.
George CCHS 1965

New Windsor, NY

#40 Sep 5, 2014
Peggy Pottet wrote:
We are looking for the class of 67 . Tying to have a reunion .Place and time will be discussed with everyone .Please leave a comment or contact Peggy ( McDonnell) Potter. Or Yvonne (Rucker) Paretzky on our Facebook pages or click on BROADLEA HALL Hope to hear from you all .
That's a great idea Peggy. Good luck and keep us updated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maybrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Town of Chester Police Sun Johnnymongo 4
Burke Academy Oct 14 SeekingTradition 1
The new town complex: Is it necessary? Oct 14 Anonymous 1
Mama Rose thompson Hovick (Gypsy Rose Lee) site... (May '08) Oct 5 George CCHS 1965 49
Review: Bensons Deli Inc Oct 4 snowshredder 1
Review: Church Street Dental Arts Sep 29 Brooke Benton 3
SUNY Oneonta student in critical condition afte... Sep 28 Sur 13 Beat 1

Maybrook News Video

Maybrook Dating
Find my Match

Maybrook Jobs

Maybrook People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Maybrook News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Maybrook

Personal Finance