Ranch's imminent closure brings uncertainty

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Molokai Ranch's imminent closure brings uncertainty Workers contemplate their next step in a tight labor market Lingle leads team to help unemployed prepare STORY SUMMARY The last roundup at Molokai Ranch is ...
Comments
61 - 72 of 72 Comments Last updated Apr 16, 2008
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Hapahaole

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

So, when will Lingle be purchasing Moloka'i Ranch, Aloha Airlines and Turtle Bay?. They don't have the $$$$ for the People but to save the land they will use Bonds, Taxes and the threat of eminent domain. Sounds really too familiar.

I hope that they can find good jobs for the folks on Moloka'i. Unemployment checks will only help for some time and that will run out.

Hope the Keiki's will be okay too.

God Bless
TooMuckingFutch

Kaunakakai, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

open your eyes wrote:
time to stop complaining hawaiians
once again you complained your own people out of jobs
Well put
wcerto

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

This is indicative of the conundrum that all Hawai`i faces -- how to balance economic development with taking care of the people, land, sea and heritage.

A developer is in business for one thing -- to develop -- to make money. Pilikia began when the properties changed ownership from Hawaiian owned to foreign owned. Any time that happenns, the potential for major problems begins, because the foreigners do not have the same feelings about the land, the same financial needs as the kama`aina. They have no emotional investment, therefore, if money can be made, that's what they do.

All anyone wants is a house to keep the weather off their babiese and a way to feed the `ohana. All the rest is window dressing.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that an outsider corporation coming in must become a valuable partner in the community and become invested in the people.
lucky guy

Haiku, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

So i guess since were not paving the most beautiful places on the island there will be no money. I would think that there are other opportunities out there besides another resort

if not....Let pave every inch of these islands......seems what you 2 are wanting
Wally

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

I love Molokai and this is very sad but as the bible says, "As you sow so shall you reap" The people of Molokai have never supported anything that would build for the future. This is the result
Xmolokaiguy

Lexington Park, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

Kulafan wrote:
This is a good time for the Hawaiians to start a Hawaiian nation. Make Molokai sovereign and let the Hawaiians decide what to do with the island. If Oha wants to settle with the state here is the opportunity for an exchange. It is a direction that has many opportunities. The faith of an Island nation can be realized once and for all.
Too late for that. Your soverernty sold that land a long time ago. Wow....
wahine luakine

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

Kauai Oahu Raised wrote:
I don't think I would call working for five years with the community and offering to donate thousands of acres of land, and providing jobs to the residents "dictating". The owners were not making money from the operation ...
Oh spare us the tears for the corporation!! "Not making money"??? Get real. Maybe they were not making enough to run their private jet off around the world every day, but there is nothing in our constitution that GUARANTEES wealth to anyone.

When are people going to start questioning corporate greed?! "They gave jobs" = crap! They gave slave labor jobs that kept people under their thumbs. Just like the rest of the tour industry!

Go ahead, support the corporate overlords. You will be serving at their table soon yourself. Your loyalty and humility will be endearing.

(In 2006 the average CEO made over 400% more than the average employee in his company.)
wahine luakine

Kaneohe, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2008

halemalu wrote:
there are so many eco-tourists (the nice kind) wanting to come here but they can't find accommodation. this is due to the maui planning commission which shouts "illegal" to anyone here who dares to open their doors to rent out a room or a cottage, or have some other home-based business to support themselves. we had expensive accommodations at the ranch, 300.- per day, and that sat empty much of the time. we need rooms and little cottages with the hospitality of the real people here, at a cost of 50 to 80.- per night. the few that are still daring to offer it, are mostly full. each visitor leaves a few hundred dollars in our community and thus creates jobs for others. it is unbelievable that this doesn't even occur to the planning commission. it must, but there are some sinister ulterior motives for keeping our community stifled by legal means. i hope the truth will be known, not as a rumor, but as a fact. you can bet the motive is money.
The tourism industry is run for the big corporations -- and they are the ones who get the attention of the government (example: Superferry). When most of the tour businesses are owned by out-of-state corporations and run by out-of-state managers, you can bet very little of the tourism money trickles down to the people of Hawai'i.

That is the way it has been -- keep the people afraid and hungry (plantation model); that is the way it will stay. Anyone who steps out of line will be shot (plantation model)-- or defiled ... as Ritte is here in this discussion.

How long are people going to buy the crap propaganda:'tourism is good for you'?? How long are they going to keep pounding on the people who expose the schemes?

How many posters here are getting paid to say the things they say (here and on hawaii reporter, and other forums around the state). There are lots of unemployed grumblers who can pick up a few bucks or favors just by doing what they do naturally.

How long will it take for this forum to close down?
fm waianae

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2008

I wonder if the people in molokai have made plans to support there family when the ranch close down. I am sorry this is happening. respectfully.
duvauchelle olivier

Billy, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

bgood luck for the future.
"à tantot"
famille duvauchelle
courson 14380
france
Anna

Waianae, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

Alot of people on Molokai say that we can KEEP OUR PROGRESS and that all they want is to be left alone and live off the land, they say that is their way of life.

OK--now you all got your chance--LIVE OFF THE LAND & don't ask for welfare checks that so many of you have or have coming. You all want your way of life but you want to live off the backs of the hard workibg people of this state.

Yah i want to live the way I want and go to the post office and pick up money & food stamps, but instead I go to work 12 hours a day to pay for my food & YOURS. MOLOKAI WAKE UP!! And stop wanting a handout. So go live off the land not the rest of us.
If I sound upset I am, I go to work & work alot of extra hours to make ends meet, I am tired of giving handouts to people who care only about themselves
blue horseshoe

Lahaina, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

wahine luakine wrote:
<quoted text>
The tourism industry is run for the big corporations -- and they are the ones who get the attention of the government (example: Superferry). When most of the tour businesses are owned by out-of-state corporations and run by out-of-state managers, you can bet very little of the tourism money trickles down to the people of Hawai'i.
That is the way it has been -- keep the people afraid and hungry (plantation model); that is the way it will stay. Anyone who steps out of line will be shot (plantation model)-- or defiled ... as Ritte is here in this discussion.
How long are people going to buy the crap propaganda:'tourism is good for you'?? How long are they going to keep pounding on the people who expose the schemes?
How many posters here are getting paid to say the things they say (here and on hawaii reporter, and other forums around the state). There are lots of unemployed grumblers who can pick up a few bucks or favors just by doing what they do naturally.
How long will it take for this forum to close down?
Agreed. The reporters of the Star B and the Hon Adv spew out crap without credibility or accountability.

Our government has turned the populous into Tourism sluts. But what are the alternatives? We just got word on the Stryker Brigade getting the green light. Yet some are against the military's infusion of $250 million into the local post Aloha Airlines economy. How else can we make up the shortfall in tax revenues? Higher taxes to our faithful citizens of course!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Maunaloa Discussions

Search the Maunaloa Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Maunaloa Music Thread (Aug '13) Jul '14 Musikologist 6
best free dating sites 2012 (Sep '13) May '14 juliet 2
Lanai City Music Thread (Aug '13) Apr '14 Musikologist 5
Interisland shipping slowly on the rise (Nov '13) Nov '13 Skye 4
Marriage Equality and Representative Carroll (Nov '13) Nov '13 graysonga 1
Lonely ranch on Molokai (Mar '13) Mar '13 Jane Michelson-Be... 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Maunaloa, HI (Jan '12) Jan '12 Apelila R.C. Tang... 1
•••
•••