Ranch's imminent closure brings uncer...

Ranch's imminent closure brings uncertainty

There are 72 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Mar 26, 2008, titled Ranch's imminent closure brings uncertainty. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Molokai Ranch's imminent closure brings uncertainty Workers contemplate their next step in a tight labor market Lingle leads team to help unemployed prepare STORY SUMMARY The last roundup at Molokai Ranch is ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
willie

Plymouth, MI

#1 Mar 26, 2008
"The ranch, also known as Molokai Properties Ltd., has experienced setbacks in receiving permits in its attempt to develop a 200-lot luxury development at Laau, a coastal area that some native Hawaiians say is important for their subsistence living."

Guess they will need subsistence living since the job market just dried up. Pity the EIS got slammed.
jimmy

Hutto, TX

#2 Mar 26, 2008
Well our people want to live off the land, so good go ahead - you now have what you seek. To bad though, now your kids will be forced away from home and void ANY opportunity to stay on their own soil. Good going Hawaiians nothing like moving two steps forward and eight back.
The Big Big Island

New Braunfels, TX

#3 Mar 26, 2008
It's a sad day when someone, namely a person in Malaysia, can dictate what happens to 1/3 of the island of Molokai. There needs to be some consideration to giving too much control to one person, especially a foreigner. I hope he changes his mind.
John

Atlanta, GA

#4 Mar 26, 2008
Sometimes a compromise is in order. If one group won't bend how can you expect the other to remain status quo? I think those that will loose their jobs and homes should look to the group that is keeping the deal from going threw.
Manny Silva

Pleasanton, CA

#5 Mar 26, 2008
This is how its done in Asia. Don't mess with the rich Asian owner or they will cut you off to show you.

This was not "just a business decision" because they were "losing money".

The way it was done makes it obvious that this was a spiteful, vengeful, vindictive attempt to divide the community or at least to punish them by showing them who their Asian master is.
g-man

Montréal, Canada

#6 Mar 26, 2008
Manny Silva wrote:
This is how its done in Asia. Don't mess with the rich Asian owner or they will cut you off to show you.
This was not "just a business decision" because they were "losing money".
The way it was done makes it obvious that this was a spiteful, vengeful, vindictive attempt to divide the community or at least to punish them by showing them who their Asian master is.
Hmmmmm. Sounds like what Wally attempted; showing them who their Hawaiian master is. In either case, both sides are a bunch of dumbass boneheads.
wahine luakine

Haiku, HI

#7 Mar 26, 2008
It is time for everyone to support Molokai. They have been fighting OUR battles for years. They fought off the cruise ships, fought the military (Kahoolawe) and are fighting Syngenta/Monsanto/UH (GMO demons)... while we sit back and watch.

This was a brutal blow -- not just to this one island ... but to EVERYONE who has even a glimmer of hope for our grandchildren being able to live out here as something other than SLAVES for foreign investors!!

Heads up, people ... businesses like Molokai Ranch, LTD. have no concern for Hawai'i or its people!

(... and there are plenty more businesses like this one lurking in the wings ...)
Leight

Kapaa, HI

#8 Mar 26, 2008
This is sad for a lot of the people on Molokai. Auwe. But for the company the words "kill fight" come to mind. This is an international company with investments around the world. They tried to enhance their property--and Molokai indirectly--but were shown their efforts weren't wanted or weren't wanted in the way they wanted to do them. God bless the affected people.
Calling it like I see it

Kapaa, HI

#9 Mar 26, 2008
I think the posters that are using the "us vs. foreigners" card is barking up the wrong tree. It's just like using the race card argument. It is invalid at best and bigotted at worst.
Irrespective of whether the owner is foreign or not, if the Ranch is not making money, what are they supposed to do? If an American owned the Ranch, do you think the outcome would be different if it had been losing money year after year after year?
While I don't agree with the closing of access to the public, from a liability stand point, it is necessary. If the Ranch continued to grant unlimited access to their property with no supervision or oversight, if people got hurt, or died as a result, they would be sued. Just look at how the State of Hawaii was sued for Sacred Falls, etc.
We've also seen recently the "empowerment" of environmentalists, non-government organizations, etc. Overall, I think their cause is a good one. Just that some of these organizations are so radicalized - "It's our way or the highway" that I believe it portends to a very difficult and somewhat bleak outlook. While I do not know all the facts about the development of La'au and why it was objected to, I believe that from what has been reported, it would have been a good compromise. The Ranch gets to develops 200 lots, while the community benefits with the reopening of Kaluakoi Resort - thus creating more jobs and the bequeath of 24,000 acres of land for public use and preservation. I can't imagine what else would have been needed to placade the activists? Development comes hand in hand with economic prosperity and some development is needed to sustain jobs, create wealth, etc. Yes, some have argued about living off the land. It may work for some, but living entirely off the land is a hard and harsh life. In today's monetary based economy, subsistance does not pay the utility bills, or the mortgage, or for that matter, the tank of gas to run the car.
There must be a compromise, a balance between development and the "old way of life."
It is just sad that irrespective of ownership, nationality, race, etc. that the good, hardworking employees of the Ranch are caught in the middle.
East of There

United States

#10 Mar 26, 2008
wahine luakine wrote:
It is time for everyone to support Molokai. They have been fighting OUR battles for years. They fought off the cruise ships, fought the military (Kahoolawe) and are fighting Syngenta/Monsanto/UH (GMO demons)... while we sit back and watch.
This was a brutal blow -- not just to this one island ... but to EVERYONE who has even a glimmer of hope for our grandchildren being able to live out here as something other than SLAVES for foreign investors!!
Heads up, people ... businesses like Molokai Ranch, LTD. have no concern for Hawai'i or its people!
(... and there are plenty more businesses like this one lurking in the wings ...)
I guess we should all run down to the bank and send money to the poor downtrodden people of Molokai. They don't want development, just jobs and money??? How does that work.
Allen Ono

Mililani, HI

#11 Mar 26, 2008
Today Molokai. Next, Schofield
huliau05

Hilo, HI

#12 Mar 26, 2008
jimmy wrote:
Well our people want to live off the land, so good go ahead - you now have what you seek. To bad though, now your kids will be forced away from home and void ANY opportunity to stay on their own soil. Good going Hawaiians nothing like moving two steps forward and eight back.
To the CONTRA-AIRE.
THAT's IMUA, Texan!
U have NO IDEA.
This 'raises the bar' for better community relations for these types of foreign arrogant developers who tink dat the BOTTOM LINE $$$$$ is the oooooooooonly way to go!
BECAUSE of Moloka'i's 'nature' & environment they WILL persevere. It is now the outside community to KNOW that THIS is what the community wants for themselves, not be DICTATED TO!
With all the Alternative energy modes and environmental concerns and Moloka'i with the kokua of gov't $$$ can better 'enforce' educational opportunities for their communities to be able to service themselves first, be creative in a contemporary job market which NO LONGER requires the future generations to leave their environment to become wealthy & healthy, i.e. all the dot.com COMMUNICATIONS capabilities in the US & world today whereby jobs are being OUTSOURCED, i.e. NAFTA, successfully by Big-buck$ corporate america. When you have pilikia and need tech help, WHO answers? Some non-American in a FOREIGN country dat's who!
This scenario can be repeated RIGHT HERE in the islands instead with the proper training in these fields, alternative tech, communications, bizness savvy, etc.
Don't KNOCK it! Support creativity in this Bizarre war-mongering, capitalistic world and Practice ALOHA.
Hiki?
HIKI NO!
Former Molokai Resident

Kaneohe, HI

#13 Mar 26, 2008
"Calling it like I see it" is exactly correct. I recently moved from Molokai after living there for quite a number of years struggling economically. Although I have a college degree and an excellent work history I had difficulty in obtaining a job. Molokai is quite a cliqish place and it definately is "who you know" rather than what you know." Molokai is peaceful but stagnating economically and intellectually. There really is not any "Molokai" anymore. Everyone has left cause of the scarcity of jobs.
Molokai farewell

Honolulu, HI

#14 Mar 26, 2008
East of There wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess we should all run down to the bank and send money to the poor downtrodden people of Molokai. They don't want development, just jobs and money??? How does that work.
I agree. Those people will just have to learn how to fish (no Spam) and grow Taro and feed themselves. We working people on the other islands should not have to support them as they have proved they want absolutely NO outside influence (read $$$)- except for welfare. Can't have it both ways guys...So get off your okoles and help yourselves. Don't look at me for handouts.
huliau05

Hilo, HI

#15 Mar 26, 2008
East of There wrote:
<quoted text>
KEEP your $$$...they neva ask for it.
KEEP an OPEN MIND and kokua & kako'o what THEY WANT...MAOPOPO?
Bright Ideas

Honolulu, HI

#16 Mar 26, 2008
Win the battle. Lose the war.
RailSucks

Lahaina, HI

#17 Mar 26, 2008
Is it against the law on Molokai for the people who live there to start successful businesses and lead productive lives? Why are we talking about Molokai like it's a permanent welfare state? Indeed, we're talking about them like they are not intelligent enough to develop an economy for their island which sustains them financially? Once they get past the denial stage, maybe Molokai's people will accept their individual and collective responsibility to ensure their own prosperity through embracing entreprenuership, rather than just waiting around for someone "to provide jobs".
huliau05

Hilo, HI

#18 Mar 26, 2008
Molokai farewell wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Those people will just have to learn how to fish (no Spam) and grow Taro and feed themselves. We working people on the other islands should not have to support them as they have proved they want absolutely NO outside influence (read $$$)- except for welfare. Can't have it both ways guys...So get off your okoles and help yourselves. Don't look at me for handouts.
They ALREADY do dat...they're survivors.
Because a community decides that they understand the economics of the 'outside' doesn't mean they won't continue to survive w/o it!
These developers come and go and its ALWAYS the BOTTOM LINE:$$$$!
Now those resources they are leaving behind needs to be acquired somehow and placed back into the hands of the community.
The 'partnership' of the Ali'i Trusts, which already IS ON MOLOKA'I and the 'lame-duck' OHA with all of OUR BENEFICIARY $$$ should initiate the purchase of those and with the community input, create an island that will FACE da FUTURE, INSPIRED by their PAST to EXIST in the PRESENT.
KU'E & persevere na Kanaka o Moloka'i!
Kauai Oahu Raised

Mililani, HI

#19 Mar 26, 2008
I don't think I would call working for five years with the community and offering to donate thousands of acres of land, and providing jobs to the residents "dictating". The owners were not making money from the operation-- they were subsidizing the Molokai lifestyle hoping to get something back from their investment in Molokai and the Molokai people.
The residents opposed to the development dictated to the developer. They took, but were not willing to give. In fact, that is all I hear from them is the give me, give me. And take, take, take. No shame.
huliau05

Hilo, HI

#20 Mar 26, 2008
THIS is what this whole conversation SHOULD BE about!

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.d...

OHA land deal about the future

"But here's the bottom line: No matter what the current administration says and no matter how sincerely it may believe what it is saying, many Hawaiians do not see this conversation as being simply about cleaning up the past. They see it as about the future, for themselves and for all Hawaiians."

By Jerry Burris
Advertiser Columnist

AND EDUCATION plays a HUGE role beginning with "the TRUTH, the TRUTH, the TRUTH"...George Helm.

Planning, without culture & tradition, yields only HALF-TRUTHS about native people.
Education with the HALF-TRUTH brings much the same...more rhetorical utterances.
Kanaka WANT to HULIAU...It IS TIME OF CHANGE!
THEY want to recover some of their ALOHA they've shared with the world to survive. They WANT TO manage their own assets and resources, not some foreign multi-national, including america to HO'OWAI, enrich & build THEIR communities social, economic, spiritual wellbeing so ALL CAN SURVIVE!
HIKI NO?
HIKI!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maunaloa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lanai City Music Thread (Aug '13) Dec '16 Musikologist 10
Maunaloa Music Thread (Aug '13) Jul '16 Musikologist 10
News Kalaupapa tribute planned (Jan '16) Jan '16 LJAINAK77 1
Time to Bring the Honu Home (Aug '15) Aug '15 GeorgeBalazs 1
best free dating sites 2012 (Sep '13) May '14 juliet 2
News Interisland shipping slowly on the rise (Nov '13) Nov '13 Skye 4
News Lonely ranch on Molokai (Mar '13) Mar '13 Jane Michelson-Be... 1

Maunaloa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance