Officials explore options for consoli...

Officials explore options for consolidating schools - News

There are 28 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Nov 2, 2008, titled Officials explore options for consolidating schools - News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

The Hawaii Department of Education, looking ahead for ways to offset a possible $70 million budget shortfall next year, wants to make it easier to close or consolidate schools.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Aji Nimoto

Kaneohe, HI

#21 Nov 2, 2008
USUEA wrote:
Agree in closing the school, and if there is people worried about the driving cost, then how about the school charting a school bus to pick children's up? Still the gas money on that bus will be cheaper then having a under performing school open with all the water/electricity/office supplies/administrative cost to the state right?
Why not pull the plug on bloated DOE administrative offices rather than a school? Hawaii's public education system is a shambles, despite sucking up billions of tax dollars and employing thousands of beaurocrats. Kids can't stand up for themselves and taxpaying parents are being given the shaft. Nobody's going to charter a bus for kids stranded by the closure of neighbrhood schools. A good education should be a right, not a luxury. Rather than cut administration, the DOE cuts teachers, programs and school supplies. It makes me sick.
Kapena

Honolulu, HI

#22 Nov 3, 2008
Cut the back office bureacrats. Tens of thousands sit downtown in air conditioned offices doing what? Not teaching kids. Time for deep systemic reforms.
Voter

Honolulu, HI

#23 Nov 3, 2008
Too many hands in the pot. The DOE should come up with the school closure plan, the BOE should ratify the plan and the legislature should stop micromanaging and get out of the way.
Johnny Holmes

Honolulu, HI

#24 Nov 3, 2008
kumukolohe wrote:
Aloha kakou,
If the DOE adminstrators close any schools on O`ahu, they should move offices out of leased, air-conditioned spaces such as those in the Dole Cannery area (Yes, I am talking about the DOE Personnel Offices!) into the schools that are closed. If the office workers don't like working in hot, cramped facilities, as most students and teachers do daily,'as why hard.
I mua!
Why should taxpayers be billed for "office space" at the Dole Cannery area for these useless DOE administrators who outnumber the teachers 15,000 to 11,000?

Do we really need 15,000 DOE "administrative" personnel, what makes "their" jobs more important than teachers? Need to get rid of some and reduce it to pre 1990 levels of 8,000 since almost doubling the number has NOT resulted in improvement of students SAT scores.
Translator

Keauhou, HI

#25 Nov 4, 2008
Johnny Holmes wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should taxpayers be billed for "office space" at the Dole Cannery area for these useless DOE administrators who outnumber the teachers 15,000 to 11,000?
Do we really need 15,000 DOE "administrative" personnel, what makes "their" jobs more important than teachers? Need to get rid of some and reduce it to pre 1990 levels of 8,000 since almost doubling the number has NOT resulted in improvement of students SAT scores.
Somebody else on these boards put it perfectly:
DOE means Department of EMPLOYMENT.

Cut the useless positions!
herbert morioka

Mililani, HI

#26 Nov 4, 2008
Translator wrote:
<quoted text>Somebody else on these boards put it perfectly:
DOE means Department of EMPLOYMENT.
Cut the useless positions!
I would like to add another one. Department of Excursions. We will take you to Disney World at least once a year, led bt Assist. Superintendent Daniel Hamada and board member Breene Harimoto. Sign up early before there is another budget cut.
herbert morioka

Mililani, HI

#27 Nov 4, 2008
Johnny Holmes wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with everything you are saying in your post. Closing and consolidating of schools should not be the first point of attack. We should rather focus in closing extra office spaces like the Dole Cannery offices being used by DOE officials and consolidate the jobs at the DOE. I am sure, that if you have 15,000 employees working for the same goals, you will encounter many duplications. Streamline the BUREAUCRATIC DOE before you discuss anything else.
Laupahoehoe Teacher

Honolulu, HI

#29 Nov 14, 2008
$500,000 is only a .7% drop in the $70,000,000 bucket. Hey, I have an idea. If we close 140 of the state's 257 schools we can balance the budget! Oh wait, they are talking about expanding (aka: spending lots of money) other schools to accommodate the influx of students. Oh, and the students will need to be driven 36 extra miles every day. Transportation alone will probably negate the savings. I guess it makes sense?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maunaloa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maunaloa Music Thread (Aug '13) Apr '17 Musikologist 11
Lanai City Music Thread (Aug '13) Dec '16 Musikologist 10
News Kalaupapa tribute planned (Jan '16) Jan '16 LJAINAK77 1
Time to Bring the Honu Home (Aug '15) Aug '15 GeorgeBalazs 1
best free dating sites 2012 (Sep '13) May '14 juliet 2
News Interisland shipping slowly on the rise (Nov '13) Nov '13 Skye 4
News Lonely ranch on Molokai (Mar '13) Mar '13 Jane Michelson-Be... 1

Maunaloa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance