Officials explore options for consoli...

Officials explore options for consolidating schools - News

There are 28 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Nov 2, 2008, titled Officials explore options for consolidating schools - News. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

The Hawaii Department of Education, looking ahead for ways to offset a possible $70 million budget shortfall next year, wants to make it easier to close or consolidate schools.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Carole

Reno, NV

#1 Nov 2, 2008
While the DOE is at it, they should cut back the number of bureaucrats feeding at the public trough in the DOE!!
John Kamaka

Kapaa, HI

#2 Nov 2, 2008
Carole wrote:
While the DOE is at it, they should cut back the number of bureaucrats feeding at the public trough in the DOE!!
Yes, Carole that would be the most logical solution for a bloated incompetent bureacracy as what the DOE is. But being "led" by dis-honest, selfish incompetent individuals, their egos goes beyond human reasoning bent on maintaining their presence at the expense of others.

Therefore instead of resolving the primary cause of problems (themselves), they seek to undermine the very foundation that the DOE stands on, by cutting programs that benefit the students they are obligated to serve!

Just goes to say what "obligations" these parasites are really interested in? How about that $400,000,000.00 of taxpayers money gone missing every year for over a decade?

Maybe we should put that question on the Con Con ballot and make these clowns accountable for their actions or lack of it?
BigIslander

United States

#3 Nov 2, 2008
It's a pity that closing small schools is even on the table.
However, if campuses are being closed then they should go to charter schools, which are growing not shrinking, and whose biggest problem is lack of facilities (they receive no state funding for facilities, unlike the DOE).
herbert morioka

Hanapepe, HI

#4 Nov 2, 2008
Consolidating the schools so that the BUREAUCRATS can give up their rented offices and occupy the vacated classrooms is an option considered by the DOE. And this, excuse me, is to save money. To Carole and John, keep up your vigilance and ALOHA.
Tutu

Kaneohe, HI

#5 Nov 2, 2008
This makes me so mad. These administrators act like leeches, unable to plan and manage the educational system effectively, but having no shame about whining, criticising, and sucking up money for themselves while cutting off vital resources to children and their teachers. Fat cats in the DOE and their system overseers, who should have made them do better, will soon take their golden parachutes and retire, leaving island schools in worse shape than ever.

What is going to happen to the next generation? Where are the kids at Keolu supposed to go? To overcrowded schools in surrounding areas? How are they supposed to get there, walk? Ride a bike? Take a school bus? Sorry kids, there's no money for sidewalks, bikeways or buses. We'll overburden schools in neighboring towns that are already struggling with staffing and supply cutbacks, and make you a resented outsider. We'll force more of your parents and grandparents into cars and onto the roadways during rush hours. We'll cut back on libraries while we're at it, so you won't have anywhere to go while you're waiting for a ride back to your neighborhood after school.

Could we cut back on school lunch programs too? Oh, already in the works? Great. Way to go DOE. Way to go.
Tutu Maile

Kaneohe, HI

#6 Nov 2, 2008
This makes me so mad. These administrators act like leeches, unable to plan and manage the educational system effectively, but having no shame about whining, criticising, and sucking up money for themselves while cutting off vital direct resources for children and their teachers. Fat cats in the DOE and their overseers will soon take the golden parachutes they gave themselves at our expense and retire. They'll leave our schools in worse shape than ever, but throw up their hands, and say oh tsk tsk, it wasn't me, it was the system.

What is going to happen to the next generation? Where are the kids at Keolu supposed to go? To overcrowded and understaffed schools in surrounding areas? How are they supposed to get there, walk? Ride a bike? Take a school bus? Sorry kids, there's no money for sidewalks, bikeways or buses. Your DOE will just overburden schools in neighboring towns that are already struggling with cutbacks, and make you a resented outsider. They'll force more of your parents and grandparents into cars and onto the roadways during rush hours. They'll cut back on libraries while they're at it, so you won't have anywhere to go while you're waiting for a ride back to your neighborhood after school.

Could they please cut back on school lunch programs too? We need more cranky kids in afternoon classes. Oh, this plan is already in the works? Great. Way to go DOE. Way to go.
Tutu Maile

Kaneohe, HI

#7 Nov 2, 2008
Sorry for the repeat. Should have made coffee BEFORE I read the paper.
Tutu Maile

Kaneohe, HI

#8 Nov 2, 2008
I don't think all DOE administrators and overseers are bad people. Most probably mean well. But by taking care of themselves instead of the individuals they were hired to serve, they are leeches. If the system worked well and they were turning out well educated students, I would feel differently. The DOE has failed to educate and has failed to wisely use and conserve the billions of dolars we pay to fund it. Turn the public school system over to the private sector. For all the money the DOE wastes, island kids could be going to private school.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#9 Nov 2, 2008
DOE needs to close schools and close non-performing charters to save money. With a $2 billion dollar budget there is a lot of room to cut. The good charter schools and go private and charge tuition. Most of them are not very good though.
Tata

Hilo, HI

#10 Nov 2, 2008
Anybody but Mufi.
John Kamaka

Kapaa, HI

#11 Nov 2, 2008
"Fat cats in the DOE and their overseers will soon take the golden parachutes they gave themselves at our expense and retire. They'll leave our schools in worse shape than ever, but throw up their hands, and say oh tsk tsk, it wasn't me, it was the system."

So true Tutu Maile, these DOE obese parasites, sitting in their air-conditioned suites making 5-6 figure salaries, while students swelter in hot classrooms are out-of-touch with reality.

Creating farce do-nothing job titles like "Administrative Support Officer", hiring "friends" and family members to work "under" them to justify their "empires" and bloated pay checks. Then wallow in that higher salary position to get the "high 3 year" pay requirements for a bigger pension welfare for life paychecks!

You can see why these parasites want to keep their jobs and "massage" the system instead of doing what is right and go find another job where honest hard work is the norm.

They live in another world and don't give a hoot about your children future, slurping at the public trough and getting an easy paycheck on the "gravy train" is the status quo at the DOE "leadership" realm.

Vote YES on CON CON and get rid of these parasites!
FixIt

Waipahu, HI

#12 Nov 2, 2008
Why not just turn small community schools into charter schools and save over $7,000 per student by doing so? The problem with some small schools, like Hauula Elementary, are that you have about 1/2 million in administrative pay for a school that only has about 200 kids. DOE should stand for Department of Education -- Not Department of Employment.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#13 Nov 2, 2008
Kamaka makes good points. DOE has not been a good performer. Tax payers are not getting a good return on their $2 billion dollar annual investment there.
USUEA

Ewa Beach, HI

#14 Nov 2, 2008
Agree in closing the school, and if there is people worried about the driving cost, then how about the school charting a school bus to pick children's up? Still the gas money on that bus will be cheaper then having a under performing school open with all the water/electricity/office supplies/administrative cost to the state right?
Pohakuloa

Makawao, HI

#15 Nov 2, 2008
I can understand fully the situation especially on Oahu as elementary schools are very abundant and quite low in population at times. An example of a serious population of elementary schools is in Kailua (96734 zip code) where there are 9 public elementary schools as well as atleast 5 private schools at the elementary level. All these schools (public primarily) feed through a single intermediate school (Kailua Intermediate) and then through two public high schools. I remember hearing talks of them combining the two high school at one point not so long ago, but thats another can of worms I dont even want to think about right now.

On other islands this is a different situation all together. Often the schools are very far apart. To close one would significantly impact the people in these communities far more than could be fathomed especially with the way the economy is currently AND the much higher (than Oahu) cost of living for our brothers and sisters who live there.

And dont start with the argument about,'Well then these people should send their kids to private schools.' If people wanted to and could afford to send their kids to private schools they would not be sending their kids to the schools they are now at. Private schools are not a readily available option for those not living on Oahu.

If it must be done it can be done on Oahu more easily. Leave the other islands alone as they have so many other things to worry about.
old country gal in Kailua

Waianae, HI

#16 Nov 2, 2008
Carole wrote:
AMEN!
kumukolohe

Kula, HI

#17 Nov 2, 2008
Aloha kakou,
If the DOE adminstrators close any schools on O`ahu, they should move offices out of leased, air-conditioned spaces such as those in the Dole Cannery area (Yes, I am talking about the DOE Personnel Offices!) into the schools that are closed. If the office workers don't like working in hot, cramped facilities, as most students and teachers do daily,'as why hard.

I mua!
Translator

Kailua Kona, HI

#18 Nov 2, 2008
Witness the death of the neighborhood school as a central component of community.
Bean counters have no business running schools. Instead of running, they are ruining education.
Roy Takumi, you have been on this band wagon to close schools for too long. It's time to use your brilliance (and I mean it sincerely that you are a VERY smart man) to find a better and creative ways to keep small schools open.
Closing them down is cowardly, to be frank.
How about you trust the best and brightest educators propose academies (like Justin Mew)?
Closing schools is the LAST option.
Translator

Kailua Kona, HI

#19 Nov 2, 2008
Pohakuloa wrote:
I can understand fully the situation especially on Oahu as elementary schools are very abundant and quite low in population at times. An example of a serious population of elementary schools is in Kailua (96734 zip code) where there are 9 public elementary schools as well as atleast 5 private schools at the elementary level. All these schools (public primarily) feed through a single intermediate school (Kailua Intermediate) and then through two public high schools. I remember hearing talks of them combining the two high school at one point not so long ago, but thats another can of worms I dont even want to think about right now.
On other islands this is a different situation all together. Often the schools are very far apart. To close one would significantly impact the people in these communities far more than could be fathomed especially with the way the economy is currently AND the much higher (than Oahu) cost of living for our brothers and sisters who live there.
And dont start with the argument about,'Well then these people should send their kids to private schools.' If people wanted to and could afford to send their kids to private schools they would not be sending their kids to the schools they are now at. Private schools are not a readily available option for those not living on Oahu.
If it must be done it can be done on Oahu more easily. Leave the other islands alone as they have so many other things to worry about.
Hear, hear!
Cut Oahu. Leave the outer islands as last on the chopping block, since they are already last in line for resources.
Why not LEASE DOE school facilities to public charter schools as one strategy to off set costs.
Voyager Charter School spends something like $400,000 per year on rent at their place in Kakaako. The DOE sure could use an infusion like that, rather than making some landlord in the private sector make money off the state.
Come on Takumi and Sakamoto! If someone stupid like me can think up an idea like that, you whould be able to come up with something even better than my feeble brain can.
And, don't give me any R&M issue either. Your UPW and Carpenter Union pals can help you out. You just gotta ask, eh.
After all, what good is having friends in low places if you don't call in favors from time to time?
Translator

Kailua Kona, HI

#20 Nov 2, 2008
alice wrote:
DOE needs to close schools and close non-performing charters to save money. With a $2 billion dollar budget there is a lot of room to cut. The good charter schools and go private and charge tuition. Most of them are not very good though.
You keep floating the idea that charter schools can go private and charge tuition, which shows you need to learn about public education policy in general.
Public charter schools exist to give parents of public school students CHOICE within the realm of Free Public Education.
Charging tuition is fundamentally antithetical to the constituional right to public education, and the states laws on compulsory education.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maunaloa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maunaloa Music Thread (Aug '13) May '15 Musikologist 8
Lanai City Music Thread (Aug '13) Feb '15 Musikologist 7
best free dating sites 2012 (Sep '13) May '14 juliet 2
News Interisland shipping slowly on the rise (Nov '13) Nov '13 Skye 4
Marriage Equality and Representative Carroll (Nov '13) Nov '13 graysonga 1
News Lonely ranch on Molokai (Mar '13) Mar '13 Jane Michelson-Be... 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Maunaloa, HI (Jan '12) Jan '12 Apelila R.C. Tang... 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Maunaloa Mortgages