Molokai Ranch closure leaves bleak prospects

Clyde Len Wai, right, and his nephew, Kalena Len Wai, look to the future at the eighth green of the Kaluakoi Golf Course where Clyde is the course technician. Full Story
First Prev
of 20
Next Last
Lopaka Ani

United States

#1 Mar 26, 2008
One of the many pitfalls of having a Foreign Company, as the owner of property in Hawaii!~~They are not tied, Emotionally, Culturally, Morally or even Mentally, to the Islands, or it's Native Residents ~~therfore, their bottom line is PROFIT!~~and at their Whims', situations like Molokais' mean nothing but disposing of a "liability"~~Auwe, to them and All Others, with their attitudes~~ Hawaii, and it's people, are so very unique and a threatened, People, as are the Native Americans!~~Where Is the State Of Hawaii and it's Gov't.~~seems to Me, if the United States Of America can bail out Bear Stearns, without any qualms~~Hawaii's Legislators can Offer some solution, and or influence in this matter!~~~Mahalo for the opportunity to express My views, from Portland, Or.~~a concerned and transplanted Hawaiian!~~lopaka ani
coachz

Waianae, HI

#2 Mar 26, 2008
wow
Outside Looking in

United States

#3 Mar 26, 2008
The residents of Molokaii brought this on themselves. It was there choice to stop the development. Bitch moan and complain then get a FN job.
willie

Farmington, MI

#4 Mar 26, 2008
Lopaka Ani wrote:
One of the many pitfalls of having a Foreign Company, as the owner of property in Hawaii!~~They are not tied, Emotionally, Culturally, Morally or even Mentally, to the Islands, or it's Native Residents ~~therfore, their bottom line is PROFIT!~~and at their Whims', situations like Molokais' mean nothing but disposing of a "liability"~~Auwe, to them and All Others, with their attitudes~~ Hawaii, and it's people, are so very unique and a threatened, People, as are the Native Americans!~~Where Is the State Of Hawaii and it's Gov't.~~seems to Me, if the United States Of America can bail out Bear Stearns, without any qualms~~Hawaii's Legislators can Offer some solution, and or influence in this matter!~~~Mahalo for the opportunity to express My views, from Portland, Or.~~a concerned and transplanted Hawaiian!~~lopaka ani
Yes making money is evil...best bet, pool your money and buy the land yourself then you can let it sit fallow and undeveloped forever.
maui haole

Springfield, OR

#5 Mar 26, 2008
Lopaka Ani wrote:
Hey, all businesses are in it for the money!
EIS! EIS!! lol!!!!!!
The Big Big Island

Manor, TX

#6 Mar 26, 2008
Lopaka Ani wrote:
Yes, the almighty dollar, the bottom line, rules once again. Life in Hawaii has become all about making a profit and if people won't cooperate with the "master plan" then screw um.
Kilu

Chicago, IL

#7 Mar 26, 2008
The State should forget about buying Turtle Bay Hilton and buy Molokai Ranch instead. Come on "powers that be", invest in people instead of land. Molokai people are the best the state has to offer, hands down. Lets put our money, yes our money, where it will count the most.
fire Karen Holt

Clearfield, UT

#8 Mar 26, 2008
then tell her its' all for the future good and that she will survive.
Manny Silva

Union City, CA

#9 Mar 26, 2008
This is how its done in Asia. Don't mess with the rich Asian owner or they will cut you off to show you.

This was not "just a business decision" because they were "losing money".

The way it was done makes it obvious that this was a spiteful, vengeful, vindictive attempt to divide the community or at least to punish them by showing them who their Asian master is.
Katherine

San Diego, CA

#10 Mar 26, 2008
We have been visiting Molokai for years as well from California and so love the island's atmosphere...this is so sad about the Molokai Ranch, it is an anchor to the rest of the island!

We used to go to Maui years ago until it was too crowded and commercialized...then started going to Molokai and spending our monies!!! Who will step in to at least provide some sense of stability for the island???
kailua boy

Waipahu, HI

#11 Mar 26, 2008
All these problems for 200 deluxe homes. Wow, Molokai people not that smart. Imagine the revenue from the construction of 200 homes. Image the jobs that would last for 5-7 years. Imagine the tax revenue to the island and the State.

Walter, you missed the ferry (super) on this one.

Let OHA buy the company.
AMG SL55

Las Vegas, NV

#12 Mar 26, 2008
Only in hawaii can making money be considered to be a bad thing. So people losing jobs is much better than a company making money and employing a bunch of people on an island that sorely needs it?
REMO

Kaunakakai, HI

#13 Mar 26, 2008
fire Karen Holt wrote:
then tell her its' all for the future good and that she will survive.
No problem for her, she has one of those jobs that 99% of Molokaians have no idea what it is. And so it goes.
kailua boy

Waipahu, HI

#14 Mar 26, 2008
Answer to Katherine.

Walter...would go. This is another Eddie would go story. Eddie Aikau never save anybody yet everybody was saved...That is strange. Now Walter will have a chance to save everybody.

Kamehameha School should open one college on Molokai.
Big Island Boy

United States

#15 Mar 26, 2008
Sadly, this how activists operate. They think only of their own agenda, but by screaming the loudest they are able to control the many. They should be very happy now! They will be the only ones that can afford to be on the island. Just what they wanted!
konajack

Rumsey, CA

#16 Mar 26, 2008
Thanks to Karen Holt for noting that a considerable amount of people on Molokai live a subsistence lifestyle. Wake up Andrew and get out of the office every once in a while. Your list of people's options in paragraph nine reflects somebody's limited opinion. Whose? Yours? Walter Ritte and those opposed to La‘au development didn't close Molokai Ranch; the ranches investors closed it; years and years of bad business decisions by the Ranch are what closed it. The proposed La‘au development was just the last in a long string of schemes to try and make a go of it. Blaming those who exercised their rights as citizens is so much bull.
Julie Lopez

Honolulu, HI

#17 Mar 26, 2008
The way Molokai Properties close down without noticed to their employees tells you how this foreign company handles it business. They do not think of the Molokai community as a whole. The realtors who rent condos have said more business for their rental business. I do believe a better company will buy the Ranch, however, Molokai Properties has to be open to sell and they have been selling land in other areas of Molokai already. If you want work , there is work on the island. Now is the time for some of the people to start their own business.
I know there is a better life out there IN THE WORK MARKET ON MOLOKAI where the EMPLOYER RESPECTS THEIR EMPLOYEES.

Since: Feb 08

wahiawa

#18 Mar 26, 2008
let's say you bought some land 30 years ago. then you built a resort on half of it and operated it for 30 years. now you want to build something else on the other half. the community that you have supported for 30 years says no. forget the fact that you worked with them for 30 years. forget the fact that you were a major employer for 30 years. they just said no and the politicians agreed. i would close the first operation and let the land sit there for 30 more years. the land is paid for, the operation was paid for and was making money. not going to hurt me to close it down. maybe 30 years from now, i would be welcomed back into business. but for now, if you don't want my money or the jobs i offer, then screw you, i'm closing.

careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
Think Longterm

United States

#19 Mar 26, 2008
So many "locals" willing to sell their soul for the company. Willing to make one time sales of prime lands which will do little in the long run.

To those of you attacking Ritte and Holt. What was their gain? How do they benefit from Molokai Ranch closing down or from La'au not being developed. Why would they spend so much of their personal time for something that won't make them one penny?

Really, if you are going to attack someone personally, at least point out what that persons selfish or destructive motives would be.

I can't think of any.
Steve

Indianola, WA

#20 Mar 26, 2008
This should be a lesson to all the "W. Ritte's" out there "Be careful What you Wish for..you may get it" Molokai Ranch is just trying to do what most folks do "earn a living in the 21st Century. Not to be confused with the welfare folks on Molokai. Big Island Boy got it Right!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maunaloa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maunaloa Music Thread (Aug '13) Nov '14 Musikologist 7
Lanai City Music Thread (Aug '13) Sep '14 Musikologist 6
best free dating sites 2012 (Sep '13) May '14 juliet 2
Interisland shipping slowly on the rise (Nov '13) Nov '13 Skye 4
Marriage Equality and Representative Carroll (Nov '13) Nov '13 graysonga 1
Lonely ranch on Molokai (Mar '13) Mar '13 Jane Michelson-Be... 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Maunaloa, HI (Jan '12) Jan '12 Apelila R.C. Tang... 1
Maunaloa Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Maunaloa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:39 am PST

NBC Sports 5:39AM
Raiders adding Sal Sunseri to defensive staff
NBC Sports 6:31 AM
Raiders hire Todd Downing as quarterbacks coach
NBC Sports 7:09 AM
Perry Fewell to interview for position coach job with 49ers
Yahoo! Sports 8:12 AM
The lure of LA for the NFL - mirage or 'must do'?
NBC Sports10:39 AM
Alleghany County sheriff: No conflict of interest with deputy working for Steelers