MEMS Will Asks for Subsidies from Som...

MEMS Will Asks for Subsidies from Some Communities

There are 5 comments on the ArkansasMatters story from Oct 18, 2007, titled MEMS Will Asks for Subsidies from Some Communities. In it, ArkansasMatters reports that:

“That isn't a small amount -- it isn't something that just comes out of nowhere”

MEMS , the agency that provides ambulance and EMT service in Pulaski county and other places in Central Arkansas is asking for taxpayer dollars for the first time starting next year, in some communities. via ArkansasMatters

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ArkansasMatters.

metroems911

Little Rock, AR

#1 Oct 20, 2007
I live in Cabot and appreciate MEMS being here. The part I'm having trouble with is MEMS has been in Lonoke (pop. 5,000) for 14 years, Sheridan (pop. 4,500) for 12 years, East End community for 12 years, North Pulaski community for 14 years, Maumelle (population 11,000) for some 10 years without charging the cities and most likely didn't make a profit. Little Rock Ambulance Authority (d/b/a MEMS) has been in Cabot (population 22,500) for less than 2 years and now is asking the people of Cabot for $50,000 to stay. I find it hard to believe that MEMS can not make a profit from a city of 22,500 people in less than 2 years and service the other cities for 10+ years. It takes MEMS 30 EMS personal to service those 5 communities and only 12 to service Cabot that has about the same population of those 5 communities combined (looks like management is having a hard time doing the math on this one). The other part that amazes me is the Cabot Mayor and City Counsel didn’t see this sucker punch coming when negotiating the contract with MEMS. Mayor Eddie Joe Williams is asking 1000 people for $50.00 to pay the annual fee for MEMS. What about the other 21,500 people that live here? It sounds like Mayor Williams is having a hard time doing the math on this one too. Is there any Mathematician out there that would like to donate their services to help these poor souls?
mr truth

Breckenridge, TX

#2 Nov 15, 2008
truth be told i work for mems and the ambulances that these communities are now paying for on many shifts they dont have a crew anyway but your dumb ass pays anyway check into it ask for staffing records
Medic911

Beebe, AR

#3 Aug 18, 2009
MEMS is and always has been a joke! If they are a city owned service they should not be operating in other cities. Why don't we hire Little rock Police and Fire to Patrol the streets of Cabot?
Guest from Austin

Beebe, AR

#4 Aug 21, 2009
MEMS Needs their A Ran out of Lonoke County and back to Little Rock where they are supposed to be.
AMBULANCE BILL $963.00!
AustinFD

Beebe, AR

#5 Nov 9, 2009
MEMS is worse than a joke. We should have a Cabot FD ambulance.
Don't use them, call another ambulance service like the one in Beebe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maumelle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News AR law allows men to block wives' abortions 38 min Prolife 17
News Jonesboro council honors highway crews, discuss... 7 hr disgusted 2
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 8 hr Dave spano 21,017
missing you Mon Nobody 13
Nice eating establishments in Maumelle (Jul '11) Jul 24 Pizza lover 2
Plastic Surgeons Jul 23 ABC123 1
Pepperidge Farm Lawsuit with SDA's (Jul '16) Jul 22 Dwight Blackwell 35

Maumelle Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Maumelle Mortgages