BENTONVILLE : Job losses in region a concern for schools

There are 20 comments on the www.nwanews.com story from Feb 15, 2009, titled BENTONVILLE : Job losses in region a concern for schools. In it, www.nwanews.com reports that:

Superintendent Gary Compton is anxious to see whether employees laid off from his city's largest employer stay in the region, keeping their children in its schools, or move in search of jobs, creating a drain ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.nwanews.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Live and Let Live”

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#1 Feb 15, 2009
These are hard times that we are living in as far as the economy goes, so does anyone have any ideas as to what could be done to repair the economy?
little gay boi

United States

#2 Feb 15, 2009
ElJefe wrote:
These are hard times that we are living in as far as the economy goes, so does anyone have any ideas as to what could be done to repair the economy?
CLEAN OUT all the Presidents and CEO's of the big corporations that are failing, and that INCLUDES those in Washington DC as well. Cut out
ALL their perks, all their bonuses, all their stock options, all their fringe benefits, cut their salaries to base salary, say $100,000-$200,000 a year. If they're really serious about wanting to stay on and make things better and make things right with this country and the people of this country, then they'll stay, out of the goodness of their heart. If they don't, then they're in it for the money and greed to begin with, GOOD RIDDANCE!

“The Female Guest”

Since: Jan 09

Paragould, AR

#3 Feb 16, 2009
AMEN! I saw something on CNN the other day about a Senate member that was in hurry to vote because he was going on a vacation in Italy. Must be nice to be able to afford such luxories! I say cut their pay!

“Live and Let Live”

Location hidden

#4 Feb 17, 2009
little gay boi wrote:
<quoted text>
CLEAN OUT all the Presidents and CEO's of the big corporations that are failing, and that INCLUDES those in Washington DC as well. Cut out
ALL their perks, all their bonuses, all their stock options, all their fringe benefits, cut their salaries to base salary, say $100,000-$200,000 a year. If they're really serious about wanting to stay on and make things better and make things right with this country and the people of this country, then they'll stay, out of the goodness of their heart. If they don't, then they're in it for the money and greed to begin with, GOOD RIDDANCE!
I read an article yesterday about how the US military is going to start offering "skilled immigrants" citizenship in as little as six months for their service for our country. Do you think this would help the economy?

Another thing that could possibly help the economy would be requiring all able bodied citizens to serve a mandatory 2 years in the military at 18 years old. How do you feel about this?

“The Female Guest”

Since: Jan 09

Paragould, AR

#5 Feb 17, 2009
ElJefe wrote:
<quoted text>
I read an article yesterday about how the US military is going to start offering "skilled immigrants" citizenship in as little as six months for their service for our country. Do you think this would help the economy?
Another thing that could possibly help the economy would be requiring all able bodied citizens to serve a mandatory 2 years in the military at 18 years old. How do you feel about this?
Isn't that required in the UK? Military duty? I could be wrong on that, but I'm thinking it is.

Immigrants doing 6 months in the service for citizenship doesn't seem right. I think if they're going to be offered a deal like that, it should be the 2 year minimum that the US citizens get.

“Live and Let Live”

Location hidden

#6 Feb 17, 2009
The US citizens don't get a two year minimum though. A service contract is always 8 years, but the amount of time you serve actively varies upon you MOS (or job). Mine was 4 years active and 4 years inactive, but I have seen 3 years active and 5 years inactive, among many others. Inactive just means that they can call you back whenever they want and you have to go.

There are many countries that do the required 2 year thing.
Question

Bentonville, AR

#7 Feb 21, 2009
How would "serving in the military at age 18" help our local economy. Maybe I am just missing something?

Thanks.

“Live and Let Live”

Location hidden

#8 Feb 22, 2009
Question wrote:
How would "serving in the military at age 18" help our local economy. Maybe I am just missing something?
Thanks.
It's not about the local economy. It's about the state of the economy on a national level. Serving in the military fresh out of high school would provide real world skills to those people that otherwise wouldn't get those skills. For example, a young man with 5 other siblings wants to go to college, but the government sais his parents made too much money for him to qualify for grants. There's student loans, but who's to say that he'll be able to go to school consecutively? The military would pay for his schooling, and he could also count a lot of his training as college credit.

Then there's leadership skills that could be learned. Also, there is a lesson of good work ethic, and much more! Have you done any research on the economy?

Dayton, OH

#9 Feb 22, 2009
ElJefe wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not about the local economy. It's about the state of the economy on a national level. Serving in the military fresh out of high school would provide real world skills to those people that otherwise wouldn't get those skills. For example, a young man with 5 other siblings wants to go to college, but the government sais his parents made too much money for him to qualify for grants. There's student loans, but who's to say that he'll be able to go to school consecutively? The military would pay for his schooling, and he could also count a lot of his training as college credit.
Then there's leadership skills that could be learned. Also, there is a lesson of good work ethic, and much more! Have you done any research on the economy?
Military AIT provides 6 college credits that don't really do anyone any good whatsoever LOL! I've been there and done that.

And people shouldn't have to risk their lives in order to go to college.

And people sure shouldn't be forced into risking their lives in order to possibly help the "state of the economy on a national level."

Dayton, OH

#10 Feb 22, 2009
Also ElJefe, what's the "but who's to say that he'll be able to go to school consecutively" objection to loans that you are talking about?

You do know don't you that a student can get deferrments and forebearances that are available to any student, and that through them a student can put off making student loan payments for the better part of a decade in total in whatever arrangement of skipped years the student wants don't you?

Dayton, OH

#11 Feb 22, 2009
And while we are on the military, which I have been in, I think that it is wrong how they target poor students in their recruiting efforts.

At ASU the year before last there was posters all over campus that had a stack of ramen noodles on them, and it said that if you join the National Guard then they will pay you so much that you can "Kiss'em Goodby Forever."

That is wrong of the military to do.

“Live and Let Live”

Location hidden

#12 Feb 22, 2009
Guest wrote:
Also ElJefe, what's the "but who's to say that he'll be able to go to school consecutively" objection to loans that you are talking about?
You do know don't you that a student can get deferrments and forebearances that are available to any student, and that through them a student can put off making student loan payments for the better part of a decade in total in whatever arrangement of skipped years the student wants don't you?
I am actually a college student myself, and there have been a few things happen recently that have caused me to have to put off school for a little while, so yes, I do know about forbearances and defferments. I also know that the banks are getting a little more strict on this issue and that they aren't as lenient as they used to be.

As far as the military thing goes, I was simply making posing a statement to further the thread. Attack much? I was in the military myself, so I also know that they will f*ck you over! Am I talking about that? Am I attacking something that you have said? NO!! Register!

Dayton, OH

#13 Feb 22, 2009
ElJefe wrote:
<quoted text>
I am actually a college student myself, and there have been a few things happen recently that have caused me to have to put off school for a little while, so yes, I do know about forbearances and defferments. I also know that the banks are getting a little more strict on this issue and that they aren't as lenient as they used to be.
As far as the military thing goes, I was simply making posing a statement to further the thread. Attack much? I was in the military myself, so I also know that they will f*ck you over! Am I talking about that? Am I attacking something that you have said? NO!! Register!
Then you knew about deferments and forebearances and seemingly knowingly misrepresented the sitution.

Also, deferments are a right that cannot be denied for at least 3 years of your choosing as long as you don't make a whole bunch of money, and the qualificantions haven't changed and if you don't qualify then you can easily make the payments.

And forebearances are just as easy to get as ever. Don't pretend that they're not. They are even easier to get than deferments.

So stop trying to use the so-called "credit crunch" to justify your ascinine position.

And I am a former member of the military and college student as well.

And I was responding to what YOU had said.

I never said that you had attacked something that I had said.

I was responding to something that YOU had said.

“Live and Let Live”

Location hidden

#14 Feb 22, 2009
Hm... Obviously not....

So, why don't you just respond to the original topic that was presented instead of this ongoing, pointless jabber you're leading?

What are your ideas on fixing the economy?

Dayton, OH

#15 Feb 23, 2009
ElJefe wrote:
Hm... Obviously not....
So, why don't you just respond to the original topic that was presented instead of this ongoing, pointless jabber you're leading?
What are your ideas on fixing the economy?
I have no idea whatsoever what your random "Hm...Obviously not" comment is supposed to be referring to.

And you responded to the original topic, and I responded to your response to the original topic.

That's called a dialog.

You did respond to the original topic in the response of yours that I was responding to didn't you?

You don't seem to be able to coherently and relevantly respond to responses to your response though (at least you haven't demonstrated an ability to do so), so nothing you say in response to this response would surprise me.
DHS66

Saint Louis, MO

#16 Feb 23, 2009
eljefe,

You must be Jewish. Israel requires everyone to serve in the IDF.

You said...
"I read an article yesterday about how the US military is going to start offering "skilled immigrants" citizenship in as little as six months for their service for our country. Do you think this would help the economy?"

NO......IT WON'T HELP THE ECONOMY!!!!!!. The military is just looking for bodies, because a whole hell of a lot more bodies are coming back from Iraq, than what bush told us.

Alan Greenspans, former head of the Federal Resereve, big think was, that the US should immigrate MORE SKILLED WORKERS into the US, because the unskilled workers were unhappy with their wages. Greenspan theorized, that if you brought in SKILLED WORKERS, that would force American Silled workers to compete with these immigrants who would work for less. Soon, the Skilled workers wage would be close to that of the unskilled worker, and the unskilled workers would be HAPPY, because they would be making almost as much as a skilled worker.

You have no idea how these globalist bastards think.

Painfully, you said...

"Another thing that could possibly help the economy would be requiring all able bodied citizens to serve a mandatory 2 years in the military at 18 years old. How do you feel about this? "

HOW IN THE HELL WOULD MAKING WAR CRIMINAL SERVICE MANDATORY HELP THE ECONOMY? All it will do, is insure that the neocons, Zionists, and globalists have a constant supply of Americans to be killed in countries like Iraq and Afganistan, who never did a damn thing to us.
DHS66

Saint Louis, MO

#17 Feb 23, 2009
Oh, by the way, there are already anywhere from 30,000 to 60,000 foreigners who give a shit about the Constitution, now in the US Military.

The US Marines actively recruit in Mexico.
DHS66

Saint Louis, MO

#18 Feb 23, 2009
Since 2001, there have been roughly 8,000 foreigners a year, who give a shit about the US Constitution, signing up to serve in the US Military
Amad

United States

#19 Apr 10, 2009
Stop voting against your interests or voting for who your pastor recommended maybe that would help
invest in america

Taylorsville, NC

#20 Apr 20, 2009
Invest in america. Buy american made products and demand retailers to carry them. If you can't find them in local retailer they are available on the web(trust me). If you have a flex fuel car use E85 fuel at least two weeks each month. QUIT sending our dollars to the arabs and chinese. We can sacrifice a little now or alot later.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maumelle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jeremy Johnson(J3) 4 hr curiousone 3
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr Enya 19,893
News Poinsett County students attend teen summit 14 hr guest 5
News Jonesboro City Council may consider anti-discri... 18 hr joe. 1
Local Politics Do you approve of Michael Watson as Mayor? Mon guest 2
Discount Kitchens UK Dec '14 Rintada 1
News Pulaski County Jail Funding Moves Forward in Th... (Aug '14) Sep '14 candidate 2
More from around the web

Maumelle People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]