Benson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Well yea. It SOUNDS great. Problem is that it emphasizes a very few positives while failing to mention the devastation of the overall system.
waco1909 wrote:
Look TSF, just read Dangs' post that is headlined"transforming education". Do you like any of it?
TSF

Benson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

You need to check facts, or also could be using slanted sources. I proudly admit bias against the republican kommies.
Real Teacher wrote:
TSF your posts are horribly slanted and inaccurate.You are obviously intelligent,but you are not applying yourself.Perhaps your sources are simply biased.
TSF

Benson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Cleaning up and taking a shower seems like a good idea. But looking around back and seeing $500 million dollars in cuts seems to have a strange parallel to Mercedes on blocks with the exhaust pipes hooked to the shower.
waco1909 wrote:
Look TSF, just read Dangs' post that is headlined"transforming education". Do you like any of it?
waco1909

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

TSF wrote:
You probably also fall for the big sales pitches that give you 18 % off but raised the price by 75%.
So if we fire 7500 full time teachers in all but hire 1800 full time in pre school and K , that is a LOSS of 5700 teachers.
What is embarrassing is the the lack of understanding of simple math that would allow anyone to be deceived by that flim flam.
<quoted text>
Then,enlighten us.
Dang

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

TSF wrote:
You probably also fall for the big sales pitches that give you 18 % off but raised the price by 75%.
So if we fire 7500 full time teachers in all but hire 1800 full time in pre school and K , that is a LOSS of 5700 teachers.
What is embarrassing is the the lack of understanding of simple math that would allow anyone to be deceived by that flim flam.
<quoted text>
So, how and where did you arrive at the firing of 7500 teachers? Will they not have recourse from that? Do they not have a contract with the state? I have a couple friends that are teachers neither of them have said they are worried about their jobs. Exactly, where will the job loss come from, you know I would love to check your resources?
TSF

Benson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

I thought I already did.
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text>Then,enlighten us.
TSF

Benson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Figures came from Bob Etheridge, former Superintendent of NC Public Instruction and former congressman. An additional 4000 classroom teachers and 3500teacher assistants will be dismissed by this budget. If there is anyone who could validate the figures and impact , I would think a former superintendent of NC public instruction would know.
As I explained earlier, NC teachers have a contract, signed at the beginning of each year for only one year of service. They are paid 10 months and laid off for 2 months each year, without pay. Most get paid 12 times per year only by allowing the state to hold their money and distribute their pay over 12 months instead of 10. One of the reasons a tenured teacher can be dismissed is because their position is not funded or that their position is no longer budgeted.. Do they have a recourse? Not with the school system. What makes it crazy is that the teacher assistants are great bang for the buck because of their low pay.
That within itself shows that efficiency and cost effectiveness is not the republican goal.
Dang wrote:
<quoted text>So, how and where did you arrive at the firing of 7500 teachers? Will they not have recourse from that? Do they not have a contract with the state? I have a couple friends that are teachers neither of them have said they are worried about their jobs. Exactly, where will the job loss come from, you know I would love to check your resources?
Dang

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

"Having gained a reputation for his strong stances on educational issues, he was elected in 1988 and served two terms (19891996) as North Carolina Superintendent of Public Instruction.[3]"
"Who are you?" incident

In June 2010, Etheridge was approached by two young men on a Washington, D.C., sidewalk. The pair, who identified themselves as students working on a project, asked Etheridge if he "fully supported the Obama agenda" while videorecording his response. In the video, Etheridge first says "Who are you?" repeatedly, then is seen grabbing one of the young men by the wrists, neck, and back of the shirt, while repeatedly asking the young men who they were. The young men responded that they were "students working on a project". One of them is heard asking the congressman three times to let go of him while the Congressman continued to hold on to him.[14] Etheridge later apologized for the incident in a statement saying "I deeply and profoundly regret my reaction, and I apologize to all involved".[15] Etheridge called a press conference where he stated that there was no excuse for his actions. He refused to speculate on the motivation of those involved and said that it had been a "long day".[16] An article in the New York Times subsequently stated that unnamed "Republican political strategists acknowledge they were behind the episode."[17]

Political analysts commented on the potential effect of this confrontation on Etheridge's chances of re-election against Republican candidate Renee Ellmers.[18][19][20] Subsequently on June 18, a 32-year-old man said he had been a victim of a similar incident occurring in 1996 in which Etheridge grabbed him when he was a high school student.[21] That report was later disputed by the retired principal who stated that "the student was in the wrong".[22] Hate to tell ya, but I would not put much stock in Etheridge. Been a while since he's been in the education system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Etheridge#Ea...
waco1909

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

TSF wrote:
I thought I already did.
<quoted text>
The Etheridge who assaulted two students in a drunken rage??? Be real TSF!!!This was on video!!
TSF

Benson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Yes, I saw that. He did not appear to be drunk, just pissed. If he even drowned a nest of cats when he was 10, that does not change the fact that this budget cuts $500 million from education and is effectively the start of dismantling public education. As a former congressman and Superintendent of public education, he probably has more insight than most of our blog posters, including myself. I understand take no prisoners politics. But shooting you own children in both feet and crippling their future to spite democrats and give tax breaks to the wealthy just makes no sense to me. Framing our state as anti education idiot bumpkins certainly does nothing to improve the attractiveness of our state to modern business, so I don't buy that BS either. Maybe we could also pass a law requiring republikans to drink poison and handle poisonous reptiles to prove their faith in Jesus.
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text>The Etheridge who assaulted two students in a drunken rage??? Be real TSF!!!This was on video!!

“Smarter Than You”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

TSF you are an example of the polarization in thus country.I saw the video.The guy was obviously drunk.
TSF

Benson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

I don't think so, but if he was: What does that have to do with republikans dismantling public education in NC? How would that change the FACT that republikans are cutting NC education by nearly 1/2 trillion dollars while coincidentally giving more tax breaks to the rich? North Carolina has tried this model before: Attention business:Come to our state where you can hire uneducated workers at minimum wage, can ignore environmental regulations and pollute our rivers, air and ground water at will , can ignore worker safety and protection. It didn't work in the past and it will not work in the future. It is a stupid mistake that puts our state closer to the bottom of an already fetid barrel.
How many people want to move to a state full of stupid ,ignorant bigots (and that's just the state legislature)? How many want to live in communities where the populous is ignorant, squalid and poor? Who wants to move here and send their children to underfunded schools? How many want to live where the rivers, groundwater and air are so polluted that you may as well live in China? Answers: few if any
waco1909 wrote:
TSF you are an example of the polarization in thus country.I saw the video.The guy was obviously drunk.
TSF

Benson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

With the US Air and American Airlines merger in the wind and uncertainty about the future of CLT, is it possible that after the merger, RDU will be the hub? Could the sudden CLT controversy be the stalking horse for moving the highly profitable hub from CLT to RDU?
Dang

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

TSF wrote:
I don't think so, but if he was: What does that have to do with republikans dismantling public education in NC? How would that change the FACT that republikans are cutting NC education by nearly 1/2 trillion dollars while coincidentally giving more tax breaks to the rich? North Carolina has tried this model before: Attention business:Come to our state where you can hire uneducated workers at minimum wage, can ignore environmental regulations and pollute our rivers, air and ground water at will , can ignore worker safety and protection. It didn't work in the past and it will not work in the future. It is a stupid mistake that puts our state closer to the bottom of an already fetid barrel.
How many people want to move to a state full of stupid ,ignorant bigots (and that's just the state legislature)? How many want to live in communities where the populous is ignorant, squalid and poor? Who wants to move here and send their children to underfunded schools? How many want to live where the rivers, groundwater and air are so polluted that you may as well live in China? Answers: few if any
<quoted text>
http://www.miamiherald.com/201 3/07/23/3517266/nc-legislature s-proposed-budget.html And after all the "cuts", BTW, weren't that many to the education system, teachers will receive 5 MORE days off? To adjust the school system, as with any business, your must make adjustments in the plan. Doing the same old, same old, gets you the same old, same old. You have to eliminate here and add to there. You agree the system needs an overhaul, how would you accomplish that while staying within budget?
Dang

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

“Smarter Than You”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

TSF wrote:
Yes, I saw that. He did not appear to be drunk, just pissed. If he even drowned a nest of cats when he was 10, that does not change the fact that this budget cuts $500 million from education and is effectively the start of dismantling public education. As a former congressman and Superintendent of public education, he probably has more insight than most of our blog posters, including myself. I understand take no prisoners politics. But shooting you own children in both feet and crippling their future to spite democrats and give tax breaks to the wealthy just makes no sense to me. Framing our state as anti education idiot bumpkins certainly does nothing to improve the attractiveness of our state to modern business, so I don't buy that BS either. MayIbe we could also pass a law requiring republikans to drink poison and handle poisonous reptiles to prove their faith in Jesus.
<quoted text>
My point is simple.You aren't capable of clear perception because of your distaste of republicans.Quite obviously, the man was drunk.When I saw the video I didn't know if he was a democrat or a republican.WATCHED it with the sound turned off.With no axe to grind, my ability to see reality was unaffected.Thus is the problem today, affects both parties.PERCEPTION,vs. reality.

Since: Jan 12

Kingston, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

I don't normally post in this thread, as I don't like discussing politics, but could someone provide a link on how our state representatives voted on the budget that cut pay for teachers?

They will not be getting my vote again.
TSF

Four Oaks, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

Well he could have been, but that was not my perception. Without a breathalyzer test, we will just probably never know if he was drunk or just pissed off. But your concluding that I am a partisan is inaccurate. The democrats think I am right wing tea party because I oppose abortion, gay marriage and more gun control. Ideologically, I am somewhat more aligned with republicans . The republikans think I am left wing because I disagree with their party first and governing second. The new republican party has become synonymous with corruption and tax breaks for the rich. I am not so much opposed to the persons as I am opposed to their actions. When any group steals from their own children for the benefit of gaining favor with the rich royalty who take over 80% their profits out of state, I will oppose them.
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> My point is simple.You aren't capable of clear perception because of your distaste of republicans.Quite obviously, the man was drunk.When I saw the video I didn't know if he was a democrat or a republican.WATCHED it with the sound turned off.With no axe to grind, my ability to see reality was unaffected.Thus is the problem today, affects both parties.PERCEPTION,vs. reality.
TSF

Four Oaks, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

I don't know about you, but to me $500 million dollars in cuts amounted to many. How would I overhaul the system and stay within budget? The NC public school system is presently so administratively top heavy that it threatens to topple over. Most of the public never sees, and are therefore unaware of, the absolute army of administrative and "support" personnel. The public (and legislators I suppose) perceives that the system consists only of teachers because teachers are the only ones who actually come face to face with the public. Therefore the blame all problems on teachers, most of whom are already giving 100%. Because of the per student expenditure they think the teachers lazy , when they never consider that for every 39 teachers actually teaching children, there are 61 administrative and support personnel. Cutting cost where the rubber meets the road is not a good plan. I would restructure the administration and ADD teachers and resources to the classrooms -- and stay within budget..

Dang wrote:
<quoted text> http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/23/3517266... And after all the "cuts", BTW, weren't that many to the education system, teachers will receive 5 MORE days off? To adjust the school system, as with any business, your must make adjustments in the plan. Doing the same old, same old, gets you the same old, same old. You have to eliminate here and add to there. You agree the system needs an overhaul, how would you accomplish that while staying within budget?
TSF

Four Oaks, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

Another major but simple change would improve schools overall performance at least 10% over 2 years with no added expenditure. STOP USING OVER 6% OF EACH YEAR FOR TESTING AND START TEACHING THE SUBJECT MATERIAL INSTEAD OF TEACHING THE TEST.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Matthews Discussions

Search the Matthews Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
I Love Black Women (May '11) 2 hr Tim 235
Shadra Jeane Wilson 12 hr In need of some info 1
Why are Southerners rude in action, but pretend... (Jan '13) 15 hr akita96th 229
18 year old moving from CA to Charlotte? 17 hr ToEachIsOwn 2
What the heck is wrong with black people in cha... 18 hr Yep 5
Cmc Biddle Point 22 hr SeekingAdvise 1
i lost my love. Sun lost love 1
•••
•••
•••
Matthews Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Matthews Jobs