BIBLE: Eye of a needle explanation

BIBLE: Eye of a needle explanation

Posted in the Matthews Forum

gary beard

Asheville, NC

#1 Oct 28, 2013
I recently read that one of the gates into Jerusalem was named "The Eye of the Needle," and was quite tricky to negotiate, since it was quite small. Does this mean that when Jesus said "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven," He meant it was far from being impossible.

The interpretation that seems to make sense is this. The "Eye of the Needle" was indeed a narrow gateway into Jerusalem. Since camels were heavily loaded with goods and riders, they would need to be un-loaded in order to pass through. Therefore, the analogy is that a rich man would have to similarly unload his material possessions in order to enter heaven.

It is not a sewing needle which a lot of people mistakenly
think, which would be impossible.
Indianamist

Tucker, GA

#2 Oct 28, 2013
Jesus is teaching that getting into heaven upon our own merit is indeed impossible. Notice that he ends the teaching "but with God, all things are possible". Meaning that it is Gods grace and mercy which ONLY guarantees us heaven.

By mercy, it means that God actually withholds from us what we deserve ie HELL-yes because of our sin and rebellion, we deserve hell. Grace is the idea of unmerited favor ie God chooses to hve pity on some sinners but not all. It is in grace that faith and repentance are given to the sinner (Eph 2:8-9 and II Thes 3:2) which is why they are called "the grace gifts". This giving of these gifts is also called "the new birth or regeneration" (John chapter 3 ie the spirit blowing/giving these as he wills). When regeneration occurs the sinner will turn to God in repentance and faith trusting in Christ Alone for salvation

The idea which you postulate is one which is commonly held but it is not founded in history nor in Biblical truth

Grace

Romans 5:1
Indianamist

Tucker, GA

#3 Oct 28, 2013
It truly means sewing needle.
Dont B Literal

Blairsville, GA

#4 Oct 28, 2013
Indianamist wrote:
No, it doesn't.

And that bit about the ark? You have to give up childish things, and the Noah thing is for children.

“Dont care how you did it in FL”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#5 Oct 29, 2013
Indianamist wrote:
I agree!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matthews Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are Southerners Stupid or do they just sound th... (Oct '08) 1 hr tired of the hate 4,897
Where the boy at in Charlotte ? (Dec '15) Thu Fred Herbert 46
Let's See Who's A REAL Charlottean! (Jan '08) Aug 24 Fred Herbert 94
Button Earrings with Great Color Aug 23 linda35ny 1
Loving black women Aug 22 Nem0 2
Do you think prostitution should be legal in N.C.? (Aug '15) Aug 22 Nem0 15
I Love Black Women (May '11) Aug 22 Mred63 253

Matthews Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Matthews Mortgages