Ground broken for Cultural Trail

Ground broken for Cultural Trail

There are 59 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Apr 25, 2007, titled Ground broken for Cultural Trail. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Mayor Bart Peterson broke ground today on the $50 million Indianapolis Cultural Trail: A Legacy of Gene and Marilyn Glick.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Eastsider

Cincinnati, OH

#43 Apr 25, 2007
Boy, I sure hope they come to "the swamp" and take time to appreciate all the creative and colorful graffiti under the overpasses and on the sides of buildings! It's cool. You go to bed one night and the wall is blank. You get up the next morning and it's a work of art.
Bystander

Cincinnati, OH

#44 Apr 25, 2007
I thinks it's a great idea. There's definitely a lot wrong with our city, and we often tend to focus only on that. There are many good things about Indianapolis and this new venture could help us appreciated some of those things.
A waste

Michigan City, IN

#45 Apr 25, 2007
The city is broke and the bond rating has been lowered. The city can not take care of the streets we have to travel to work on or sidewalks and yet they waste money like this.
Another God Post

Cincinnati, OH

#46 Apr 25, 2007
A waste wrote:
The city is broke and the bond rating has been lowered. The city can not take care of the streets we have to travel to work on or sidewalks and yet they waste money like this.
I'll spell this out for you... THIS IS NOT CITY MONEY
eric

Indianapolis, IN

#47 Apr 25, 2007
This is fine, but start and finish the Pensy trail first. We have been waiting to long ..........
John

United States

#48 Apr 25, 2007
Another area for rapes & murders to take place. Now you'll need the Cultural Trail Patrol to secure the area.
Chris

Sausalito, CA

#49 Apr 25, 2007
A waste wrote:
This is so tiresome to respond; however--once again, the city is NOT spending any local or state funds on the project. Also, private funds are being used to raise an endowment to fund ongoing maintenance of the trail, so the city will not need to worry about using public funds to maintain it.

Therefore, all your points about the bond rating and the city being "broke" are irrelevant.

About 1/3 of the construction of the project is funded through a matching federal transportation grant and this is the only public money used in the project (2/3 is privately funded). The federal grant is specifically earmarked for this project from a fund reserved for NON-highway projects. This means the money CANNOT be used for I-70 or any other transportation projects. If the city did not use the funds for the Cultural Trail, it would go back to the federal fund and be given to another community for a bike path, greenway, or similar project.

If you disagree with federal transportation policy, then write or call your local representative in Congress because the city has nothing to do with how Congress appropriates funds.

The trail will beautify and unify the neighborhoods it runs and make it much easier and nicer to walk or bike through downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods. Just like the wildly popular Monon Trail, it will get millions of people a year who will appreciate having a nicer downtown and surrounding neighborhoods to travel through.

At the end of the day, Indianapolis has very little going for it as far as natural beauty. Places like New Mexico, San Francisco, San Diego, etc. can rest on their abundance of natural beauty and pleasant weather. Indianapolis is flat, rather plain, and only has nice weather during a limited portion of the year. Therefore, it is crucial for the built environment to be both attractive and human-scaled; otherwise, in order to make the city as nice as possible to live, work, and visit. Projects like the Cultural Trail help contribute to improve the city's built environment.

“I know you are, but what am I?”

Since: Dec 06

That way...

#50 Apr 25, 2007
Hearty congratulations to Brian Payne, and a huge thanks to the Glick family for supporting such a terrific addition to our city.

Your efforts are surely noticed and very much appreciated...in spite of some rather narrow-minded, mis-informed and short-sighted criticisms found on this blog.
New Palestine

Newark, OH

#51 Apr 25, 2007
HahaCincy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah Cincy's downtown is a joke. It's pretty much just a sea of surface parking, with a silly, disconnected little mall. They do have some great urban neighborhoods and infill development, but their downtown core is awful.
I love Cincy.. it's the downtown that failed, so they built one across the river in Kentucky.

For once, I think Kentucky got it right. YAY!
TheOracle

Greenwood, IN

#52 Apr 25, 2007
If you can get a flock of morons to donate 37 million for a sidewalk, how is it the city doesn't ask the birdbrains to donate to something more pressing......say a 10,000 bed jail?
CanalWalker

United States

#53 Apr 25, 2007
I like the ideas and the funding arrangements planned for the new sections, but only if we take care of what we have, FIRST. I mean, come on folks, take care of what we have now on the Canal Walk!!! The Downtown Canal Walk, for more than five years has always needed restrooms (actually since originally built), and additional elevators at key entry points, such as Ohio, Blackford, North or 10th streets. Again, it is particularly important that the oldest section around the Ohio Street Basin through North street receives major, major attention to their structure, concrete, handrailings, flowerbeds, fountains, etc.-complete renovation-WITH THESE FUNDS! I hear the city does not have them! The Ohio Street basin of the Canal walk is a major lawsuit waiting to happen!!! Work there needs to happen NOW. Replacement of concrete to properly correct the surfaces on the walks and the foot bridge as well as the stairs to street level!!! Do it now, do it right!!! The public elevator and restrooms suggested would be good as well and could be covered by this funding first, BEFORE additional projects begin. And BTW, make it policy to prohibit the smokers from under the North Indiana Government Center Building's northeast corner adjacent to the canal!!! If you walk by there, I shouldn't have to explain why. They are within 10 to 20 feet of the entrance. What it means? Ban smoking from that entrance to that State operated food facility, right on our "Cultural Trail!!" What is the jurisdiction on policy there? Thanks for reading.
dwindy

Cincinnati, OH

#54 Apr 25, 2007
so what else could we do with money that isn't for anything else? i suppose we could burn it to spite ourselves.
Trails back to rails

Chicago, IL

#55 Apr 25, 2007
Naptown Voice said [quote]They should've use the money for a RAPID-TRANSIT system Just think of riding on a train from Downtown Carmel to downtown Indy 24/7 for $2:00.[/quote]

Sorry, but the Monon trail WAS a railroad track that ran through the highest density suburban areas north right into downtown. Westfield, Carmel, Nora, Broad Ripple, the Fairgrounds, right into Union Station. There were even existing stations all along the way. If it had remained a railroad instead of your little walking trail, Central Indiana could have had the beginnings of a decent public transportation system without paving our way to commuter Nirvana. But no, Indianapolis has never thought that far ahead.

You want a "cultural trail?" That's great. Then use local, private money and spend yourself nose-deep in culture. But I am fed up with EVERYONE in this damned country on the national teat, as though Federal dollars meant some cash-laden fairy godmother swooped in on a cloud, printed up some money on her ethereal printing press and bestowed it on a loving public out of the goodness of her heart. Wake up, dull wits. "Cultural trails" are part of that political pork barrel spending everybody loves to cry about, until it feeds their favorite cause. If you want something, pay for it or find some chump willing to buy it for you. But quit taking it out of my wallet.
Soon to be Ex-Hoosier

Cincinnati, OH

#56 Apr 26, 2007
Jeez, I can't wait to get out of this god forsaken hole of a state. Even when positive things happen here, people whine and complain. It truly amazes me. I bet if this were a new highway, no one would be saying a word.
REALITY IS BACK

Indianapolis, IN

#57 Apr 26, 2007
Read the story wrote:
This is great for Indianapolis and is COSTING THE TAX PAYERS NOTHING! Thank you Glicks, thank you Lilly, and thank you to everyone else who is making this happen.
And you believe this? Just like the $800 million stadium is costing tax- payers nothing: Yeahh right...In the end tax-payers will get shafted once more. Why not take that PRIVATE MONEY AND PAY THE PROPERTY TAXES? DO SOMETHING THAT'S NEEDED FOR A CHANGE...RIDE THE BIKE IN THE STREETS, ALLEY OR PARKS!
WACKO

Indianapolis, IN

#58 Apr 26, 2007
If we can this kind of money for a cultural trail, why can't we get this kind of money from private citizens to help pay property taxes?
think about it

Collinsville, MS

#59 Apr 26, 2007
Read the story wrote:
This is great for Indianapolis and is COSTING THE TAX PAYERS NOTHING! Thank you Glicks, thank you Lilly, and thank you to everyone else who is making this happen.
Yea right when its time to maintain it are you going to be out there repairing it or is my tax money going to be used for such a waste?

I always find it interesting to see the wealthy giving money to such unnecessary things instead of something important.
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaat

Plainfield, IN

#60 Apr 26, 2007
think about it wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea right when its time to maintain it are you going to be out there repairing it or is my tax money going to be used for such a waste?
I always find it interesting to see the wealthy giving money to such unnecessary things instead of something important.
Several million dollars have already been donated to a separate maintenance fund.
think about it

Collinsville, MS

#61 Apr 26, 2007
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat wrote:
<quoted text>
Several million dollars have already been donated to a separate maintenance fund.
Ok then its a great thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matthews Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay men in town (Dec '14) Thu Deez Nuts 2
gangs in muncie Thu Deez Nuts 6
Looking For Bi Girls In Deleware County Sep 1 mature slut 4 fun 2
Mcdonalds on tillitson (Aug '14) Aug 13 youse 2
Jane Crawford Aug 8 Jill 1
Kyle Ogle (Apr '14) Aug 5 lisa 4
Megan Carter Aug '15 For sure 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Matthews Mortgages