Ground broken for Cultural Trail

Ground broken for Cultural Trail

There are 59 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Apr 25, 2007, titled Ground broken for Cultural Trail. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Mayor Bart Peterson broke ground today on the $50 million Indianapolis Cultural Trail: A Legacy of Gene and Marilyn Glick.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dowtownisthebest

Cincinnati, OH

#1 Apr 25, 2007
Such a good idea with the marbels. Very creative.
think about it

Palo Alto, CA

#2 Apr 25, 2007
The state is broke, the city is broke, the county is broke. Lets spend 50 million dollars on a sidewalk. Someone needs to get real.
What A Waste

Muncie, IN

#3 Apr 25, 2007
What a GIGANTIC freakin waste of Tax payer dollars.!!! Just today we learned our property taxes will rise by at least 25% and our city wastes money on this . I am ashamed the FEDs are putting up money too. CUT SPENDINNG NOW AND LOWER OUR TAXES !!!
Leslie LaBarge

Fishers, IN

#5 Apr 25, 2007
Thank you to Gene and Marilyn Glick for their generous donation to the Indianapolis Cultural Trail! The whole idea of a memorial that honors positive contributions to humanity is a welcome breath of fresh air. I love the fact that the trail is an "interactive" memorial. Ingenious!
FYI

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Apr 25, 2007
There is no local tax dollars in this project. Its all private money. The federal dollars in the project are matching dollars to be used solely for transportation projects for which there is a local match. Stop whining and enjoy.
Read the story

Dayton, OH

#8 Apr 25, 2007
This is great for Indianapolis and is COSTING THE TAX PAYERS NOTHING! Thank you Glicks, thank you Lilly, and thank you to everyone else who is making this happen.
Chris

South San Francisco, CA

#9 Apr 25, 2007
What A Waste wrote:
What a GIGANTIC freakin waste of Tax payer dollars.!!! Just today we learned our property taxes will rise by at least 25% and our city wastes money on this . I am ashamed the FEDs are putting up money too. CUT SPENDINNG NOW AND LOWER OUR TAXES !!!
There are no property taxes (or any local taxes) or state funding going into this project. Therefore, your point about property taxes is completely irrelevant to this topic.

2/3 of the funds being raised are coming from private sources, and it is no one else's business but the donors as to how they choose to spend their private funds.

The federal transportation funds are funds reserved for non-highway projects, which means they cannot be spent on roads, interstates, etc. If the city declined the funds, they would go to some other community in the country to be spent on a bike trail, a greenway, etc. You may have an objection to federal transportation policy, but that is a matter to take up with your elected representatives in Congress.

Personally, I believe the trail will be a wonderful public amenity and help beautify and unite the neighborhoods it passes through. If you disagree that is fine, and the answer is simple:(1) Do not donate money to help construct or maintain the trail,(2) Do not use the trail after its built,(3) Do not worry about the trail ever again, and instead focus your energies on property tax reform or other issues you feel strongly about.
Snoop Doggie

Palo Alto, CA

#10 Apr 25, 2007
All you crybabies, just shut up!!!
asdf

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Apr 25, 2007
What A Waste wrote:
Oh so misinformed:

http://www.ibj.com/html/detail_page.asp...

37 of the 50 mil is funded by PRIVATE donations.
Chris

South San Francisco, CA

#12 Apr 25, 2007
john wrote:
another example of the mayor fighting the real problem in this city (crime). we can find money and grants for everything from marbles and sidewalks to street lights and cameras on poles , but we cant pay the people that protect us more and get more police .
Again, there is no local tax money being used on the project.(And the rest of the money has been explained in my previous post). Also, this project has been in the planning for at least 5-6 years, and it has nothing to do with fighting crime, etc.

The police union just agreed to a new contract with the city. Private parties don't typically donate money for police services or other public services, so I am not sure what you are insinuating about the donors (and really, it is there money to donate as they please). However, if you would like to donate money for police services, you are free to donate from your own funds.
Practical

Evansville, IN

#13 Apr 25, 2007
Federal transportation dollars = comes from the federal government. They're not dipping into the cookie jar of public safety funds.

People complain about Indianapolis not being a "world class city" because we don't have enough stuff to differentiate us from any other city with a million and a half people. But, as soon as we start to do something unique, they start complaining about it costing money to do. What a double-edged sword.
Devils Advocate

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Apr 25, 2007
What a waste of money. Build something people can actually use.
Frumious

Peru, IN

#15 Apr 25, 2007
Pull the plug on this waste of taxpayer money! We have a billion+$$ dome that private sector should have paid for, lawmakers voting themselves a pay increase, this $55 million waste - oh, but the legislature is "powerless" to stop our 25% property tax increase this year and another 12-18% next year? FIRE THESE THIEVES NOW!

Oh yes, I know, "Hey, they're just using "federal money." THAT'S MY MONEY TOO!

You want your little cultural trail? It ALL needs to be funded by the private sector. You want patrons of the arts? Go find them, and get off the government mooch. It's time to suck it up, people. Government money is YOUR money, and it's being stolen by every bed wetter with a cause.
Trails back to rails

Peru, IN

#16 Apr 25, 2007
<quote>37 of the 50 mil is funded by PRIVATE donations.</quote>

Call when you have the other 13 million.

What, you idiots think just because it's federal money it's somehow not coming out of my pocket? That's federal HIGHWAY money. Put it towards fixing I-70. But a "cultural trail?" Pardon me while I puke.
Russell

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Apr 25, 2007
We are spending $50 million dollars on a Cultural Trail? Why don't we spend the money on the roads or property taxes instead?
Read the story

Dayton, OH

#18 Apr 25, 2007
Devils Advocate wrote:
Are you joking??? Get out of your car and take a walk around the city. Better yet, stay in Fishers (which is where I'm assuming someone who would make the above comment would live).
erin

Kansas City, MO

#19 Apr 25, 2007
Devils Advocate wrote:
Why can't people use it? I was planning on using it?
Ian

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Apr 25, 2007
Wow, I never realized how negative the average American mind is. This is a beautification project that will assist Indy is catering to pedestrians and bike traffic. People from here realize just how reliant on cars we are in Indy so to attract people to get out and be a little more active is great. The city isn't applying dollars to this, it is channeling Federal money, which is still tax money, but live a little people. This will have a profound impact on the "curb appeal" of huge sections of downtown. Projects like this have economic benefits as well: property value increases, increased people traffic near shops/resturaunts, construction job wages, material providers. This is a beneficial project and have some decency to the couple's vision who felt moved enough to donate $15 million of their own money on this. Relax on trying to downgrade every issue, enjoy this project it will be very nice when completed.
Jill

New Haven, CT

#21 Apr 25, 2007
Frumious wrote:
Government money is YOUR money, and it's being stolen by every bed wetter with a cause.
I, for one, am GLAD my fedarl tax money is going to support this trail.
indiana

Reston, VA

#22 Apr 25, 2007
What A Waste wrote:
what a gigantic freakin waste of my time reading your post. it's private dollars, chump. there is percentage of cost covered by a matched federal transportation fund. everything else is PRIVATE (hence the glick surname being used in the trail name). people need to take some chill pills and enjoy this amenity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matthews Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ball State Sluts Aug 20 brad 6
BSU college gals Aug 19 Bstate98 1
timothy e. mahon Aug 17 OhioGurl 1
Pokemon go Aug 12 Pok-e-ohh 2
Valerie Craw Aug 11 Wondering 1
Pain & Corruption (Jan '13) Aug 11 Slicktrack 29
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Aug 3 IMHO 93

Matthews Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Matthews Mortgages