Property tax forum is set for Wednesday

Property tax forum is set for Wednesday

There are 5 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Oct 6, 2007, titled Property tax forum is set for Wednesday. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

On Wednesday, the Franklin Tax Advisory Council will conduct a policy forum about property tax reform.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Brian M Alvey

AOL

#2 Oct 7, 2007
Garry,

Now Garry, this is anything but a "scam" and you should know that, you and I have spoken about this face-to-face. I thought we had an understanding that the Tax Advisory Council is anything but what you are attempting to paint it as, here. These comments by you here are disappointing to me on a personal level too because I gave you the respect of looking you right in the eye and sharing with you my core beliefs and what my personal intentions with regards to this topic were. If you didn't believe me, as it appears here you don't, than I wish you would have at least shown me the respect of telling me directly then as opposed to posting it here.

As I told you when we met, I serve on the Franklin Mayor's Tax Advisory Council for one reason and one reason only, to help find the right answerers to our current state tax crisis. The Council is NOT political at all. I may be a Republican like our current Franklin Mayor Brenda Jones-Mathews but my colleagues on the council [that she appointed] are not. Mr. Petersen is very independent and Mr. Craig is a staunch Democrat that worked with the late Gov. Frank O'Bannon (D)

If it were someone else of some other poetical affiliation to currently be serving as the Franklin Mayor, I would have still volunteered and accepted this opportunity to serve. We came to the Mayor and asked her if we could contribute in some way and she has graciously aloud us to do so. You make the assertion that this is her way of shirking her duties and responsibilities but you are as far from being correct as you possibly can be. She has accepted the help of three individuals that have willingly donated their time to assist her. She now has three additional individuals with a plethora of varying experiences to bring to the table at no charge to the city of Franklin. What kind of person [leader] would turn down that kind of help? She has delegated to us the responsibility of helping her enhance communication between the local governing bodies that effect Franklin citizens tax base as additional sets of "eyes and ears" and simply assist her in finding possible solutions with regards to tax relief. She is still the Mayor and the leader of this City and what we do shall always be of her vision and proactive guidance.

Garry, you and I had this long and in depth one-on-one conversation the other evening at the Johnson County Commissioners meeting so I can personally attest to anyone that reads this that you are in fact, a man of conviction, no doubt. However, I do feel that on this issue, your judgment may be a little clouded with regards to a simple personal political dislike for one elected individual and you're not seeing the great opportunity here through your zeal to oppose her.

This forum was created for ALL of our citizens to include yourself. I'm not wanting to compete against you or anyone else on this, I want to compete WITH everyone on this, together. Civil discourse between intelligent people is how the right answers are found in life. Please come to the "Popcorn and Taxes" public forum this Wednesday and share your thoughts with us there. The Franklin Mayor's Tax Advisory Council is looking for EVERYONE'S input and assistance on this because it is manned by three local citizens, no different than anyone else.

(Part 1, To-be-continued)
Brian M Alvey

AOL

#3 Oct 7, 2007
Garry,

Now Garry, this is anything but a "scam" and you should know that, you and I have spoken about this face-to-face. I thought we had an understanding that the Tax Advisory Council is anything but what you are attempting to paint it as, here. These comments by you here are disappointing to me on a personal level too because I gave you the respect of looking you right in the eye and sharing with you my core beliefs and what my personal intentions with regards to this topic were. If you didn't believe me, as it appears here you don't, than I wish you would have at least shown me the respect of telling me directly then as opposed to posting it here.

As I told you when we met, I serve on the Franklin Mayor's Tax Advisory Council for one reason and one reason only, to help find the right answerers to our current state tax crisis. The Council is NOT political at all. I may be a Republican like our current Franklin Mayor Brenda Jones-Mathews but my colleagues on the council [that she appointed] are not. Mr. Petersen is very independent and Mr. Craig is a staunch Democrat that worked with the late Gov. Frank O'Bannon (D)

If it were someone else of some other poetical affiliation to currently be serving as the Franklin Mayor, I would have still volunteered and accepted this opportunity to serve. We came to the Mayor and asked her if we could contribute in some way and she has graciously aloud us to do so. You make the assertion that this is her way of shirking her duties and responsibilities but you are as far from being correct as you possibly can be. She has accepted the help of three individuals that have willingly donated their time to assist her. She now has three additional individuals with a plethora of varying experiences to bring to the table at no charge to the city of Franklin. What kind of person [leader] would turn down that kind of help? She has delegated to us the responsibility of helping her enhance communication between the local governing bodies that effect Franklin citizens tax base as additional sets of "eyes and ears" and simply assist her in finding possible solutions with regards to tax relief. She is still the Mayor and the leader of this City and what we do shall always be of her vision and proactive guidance.

Garry, you and I had this long and in depth one-on-one conversation the other evening at the Johnson County Commissioners meeting so I can personally attest to anyone that reads this that you are in fact, a man of conviction, no doubt. However, I do feel that on this issue, your judgment may be a little clouded with regards to a simple personal political dislike for one elected individual and you're not seeing the great opportunity here through your zeal to oppose her.

This forum was created for ALL of our citizens to include yourself. I'm not wanting to compete against you or anyone else on this, I want to compete WITH everyone on this, together. Civil discourse between intelligent people is how the right answers are found in life. Please come to the "Popcorn and Taxes" public forum this Wednesday and share your thoughts with us there. The Franklin Mayor's Tax Advisory Council is looking for EVERYONE'S input and assistance on this because it is manned by three local citizens, no different than anyone else.

(Part 1, To-be-continued)

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#6 Oct 7, 2007
Sorry for the multiple posts, I would delete them if I could...

Here is the other half:

(Part 2, Continued)

Folks, Garry is correct in his statement that "You can give your input to the Commission DIRECTLY by participating in the 10/17 forum at Franklin College, 7 - 9 PM in the Neapolitan Student Center. It's open to ALL in the area, of course, besides just Franklin residents." and I hope that as many people that can come to this event too, do so. More citizens need to get involved. Together we can facilitate the change we all want!

We (Mayor's Tax Advisory Council) have held two public listening sessions thus far and we have been extremely pleased with the participation of our fellow local citizens.(I wish you would have came, Garry!)

I would encourage ALL people, regardless as to whether they are Franklin residents or not, to please attend the Franklin Tax Advisory Council's "Popcorn and Taxes" policy forum about property tax reform at the Artcraft Theater (Downtown Franklin at 51 N. Main St. on October 10th at 7:30 PM) so to share in this forum. There will be great insight shared as will there be an opportunity for your voices and concerns to be heard.

I would also like to agree with Garry's other statement in reference to Governor Daniels "be commended for setting up the Commission on Local Government Reform." Governor Daniels' strong and innovative leadership has been an incredible breath of fresh air for this state of ours.

Again, this Wednesday night is an opportunity to learn about the current tax system and to discuss possible solution to the obstacles the current situation presents to us. How can anyone with a voice on this matter not embrace this opportunity to have it heard?

Respectfully yours,

Brian M. Alvey
Council Member
Mayor's Tax Advisory Council
Franklin Indiana
Howard

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Oct 7, 2007
How can the Mayor's Tax Advisory Council provide any valid input without clearly showing the extreamly poor job the mayor has done? The past week there was an announcement of anothet major hotel to be built down town Indpls.. We await Peterson's stealth comments as to how much tax abatement he is willing to give away, once again, at tax payers expense. Perhaps taking Petersons home, investments and giving them to the hotel builder is a better idea. It is time Peterson felt the sting his policies have caused others. Deport Peterson to Iraq - no Iran.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#8 Oct 7, 2007
Howard,

This subject is about Franklin, not Indianapolis.

You're speaking of the wrong mayor and the wrong town.

BA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matthews Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hookah bar slated to open in downtown Richmond 1 hr lol 2
son in correctional seek female pen pal & a rel... Thu sue 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) May 20 JustJoe 574
Urgent warning (thief) May 18 Don P 3
buying a car May 17 Chloe 1
Craigslist shuts down Personal ads May 15 babelsf 5
Eaton EMT May 14 Leadone 1

Matthews Jobs

Personal Finance

Matthews Mortgages