Five candidate forums announced for upcoming Chesterfield Co. elections

Jul 26, 2007 Full story: Richmond.com

The Chesterfield County Council of Parent Teachers Associations and the Chesterfield Business Council of the Greater Richmond Chamber are co-sponsoring a series of "Candidates Forums" this fall. via Richmond.com

Full Story
Bob Herndon

United States

#1 Aug 24, 2007
Candidate Forums are a great means of introducing the candidates to the communities they seek to serve. However, combining the school board and board of supervisor races, and possibly constitutional officers, i.e. sheriff, on the same evening, will not afford the public sufficient opportunity to focus on the issues of interest and concern to them. The issues related to school board elections are somewhat different than those of the board of supervisors. In addition to approving a budget that includes funding for schools, the BOS also has much greater responsibitity for overall policy direction and decisions regarding the county. The BOS also appoints citizens to key positions, i.e. Planning Commission, etc. where decisions impacting the citizens of Chesterfield County for years, if not decades, to come are made.

It would be more beneficial to both the candidates and the voting public to have separate forums for the school board and board of supervisors. Where necessary, another forum for contested constitutional offices should also be held. These offices have separate and distinct funtions from those of the elected policy makers for the school system and county.

The organizations sponsoring these forums should also include other regional/county organizations, i.e. Responsible Growth Alliance, Partnership for Smarter Growth, Hands Accross the Lake, Coalition of Homeowner Association Presidents, etc. to provide a broader, more comprehensive group of sponsors for both financing and promotion purposes.

However the forums materialize, I hope the citizens of Chesterfield County take advantage of them to meet the candidates, hear their positions on issues of concern and interest to them and pose questions to the candidates that enable the citizens to make an informed decision on November 6, 2007.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matoaca Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why They Hate Obama (Aug '13) 32 min barefoot2626 12,325
ISIS Already in U.S. 18 hr nonewhammers 3
Citizens of 7th Congressional District NOW HAVE... 18 hr hummertime 3
Yes There us Taxation without Representation 18 hr no hammer time 4
Wrong Move Dealing with ISIS 18 hr AreYouSaying 3
Obama/Congress Made Wrong Move Dealing with ISIS 18 hr Stewart 3
cherise.... where are you when i need you? 18 hr Tumlin 2
Matoaca Dating
Find my Match

Matoaca Jobs