Click on an option to vote

• alven harman
  • tommy copely
Comments
21 - 40 of 63 Comments Last updated Dec 14, 2013
i do know

Macon, GA

#21 Feb 11, 2010
Everett Hannah beat the heavy wieght champion of the world Buster Douglas back in his younger years at Delbarton gym. It was golden gloves when Buster was young too. If his nose hadn't been so easy to bleed and break he could have gone places. And then their was Cary Hatfield, I don't think too many of any of them would even go near the ring if he was in it, even now.
CoCo

United States

#22 Feb 11, 2010
i do know wrote:
Everett Hannah beat the heavy wieght champion of the world Buster Douglas back in his younger years at Delbarton gym. It was golden gloves when Buster was young too. If his nose hadn't been so easy to bleed and break he could have gone places. And then their was Cary Hatfield, I don't think too many of any of them would even go near the ring if he was in it, even now.
Wow !!! Thanks for sharing !!!
dionne collins

United States

#23 Feb 25, 2010
everret hannah did whip buster douglas hannah was trained by tommy copley
CoCo

Charleston, WV

#24 Feb 26, 2010
Grant Preece trained Everette & Lonnie Hannah, Craig & Mike Cantrell, Carey Lee Hatfield, Delbert Copley, Roland Davis, Bobby Hall, Fred Bentley, Billy & David Hall, Craig Branham, Todd Branham, The Murphy Brothers and the list goes on...

Grant was:

Two Time State Golden Glove Champion and won Champion of Champion (BOTH years)

Fort Knox Post Champion and @nd U.S.Army Champion (for THREE years)

Trained Delbarton Fighters for Several years :0)

More Great Fighters:

Melvin Folgham
Henry Hall
Hampton Hunter
Dallas Bias
Bird Dog Murphy
Charles Murphy
Henry Thomas Moore
Bobby Horton
CoCo

Charleston, WV

#25 Feb 26, 2010
Grant Preece was alson Awarded "Best Trainer of the Year"

and don't forget:

Ab Starr
my hubby

Santa Clara, CA

#26 Feb 26, 2010
hes the best boxer, look at my eyes lol
my husband

Santa Clara, CA

#27 Feb 26, 2010
ya should see my eyes
CoCo

Charleston, WV

#28 Feb 26, 2010
my hubby wrote:
hes the best boxer, look at my eyes lol
Which One ??
old school

Grethel, KY

#29 Feb 27, 2010
rick jackson also is a two time golden glove champand he also was champions of championes to.
G-3 Epling

Prestonsburg, KY

#30 Mar 22, 2010
Does anyone know of ppl that are still in there 20's 30's or 40's that were on this list and that might be willing to train? Or is this like old day Memories? i mean i box amateur but i might like to go somewhere one day soon if i could get an edge? Any replies will be appreciated!!
hummmm

United States

#31 Mar 22, 2010
G-3 Epling wrote:
Does anyone know of ppl that are still in there 20's 30's or 40's that were on this list and that might be willing to train? Or is this like old day Memories? i mean i box amateur but i might like to go somewhere one day soon if i could get an edge? Any replies will be appreciated!!
rick jackson might
Someone who knows

Jackson, KY

#32 Oct 25, 2011
i do know wrote:
Cary Hatfield was one of the best to ever come out of this area. He fought several pro fights in Vegas and I would have to say I don't think to many would want to box him even now and he is 60.
James Hatfield

Washington, DC

#33 Jan 13, 2012
Can't compare the different eras, Tommy Copley and Tommy Diamond were good. No doubt. But someone that I haven't seen anyone mention, and I've heard both Copley and Diamond tell me that Ricky Hammond had more God given boxing talent than anyone they had ever seen.
1 post removed
he hurt me

Van, WV

#35 Jan 13, 2012
James Meade was pretty tough with the gloves on.
bull

Hernshaw, WV

#36 Jan 13, 2012
harold coleman was a good fighter..
BoxingGuru

Pikeville, KY

#37 Jan 13, 2012
Tommy Copley
real good

Hernshaw, WV

#38 Jan 14, 2012
if you are looking for someone young ...look up jerome jessie he is good boxer,,,fighting pro this year in the williamson toughman..delbarton were he lives.
he didnt hurt me

Charleston, WV

#39 Jan 15, 2012
Harold Coleman never beat a person in his life that wasnt passed out a real coward.
West Virginia Hillbilly

Peach Creek, WV

#40 Jan 15, 2012
One of the post has Melvin Fulgem in it he was from williamson.Also Alexander"June" White from williamson won the heavyweigh title at Delbarton.He went on to win the title of heavyweight champ of West Virginia-finished his boxing career undefeated.
Country Girl

Charleston, WV

#41 Jan 23, 2012
As far back as I can remember it was Tommy C and David Cook.. But I think Dadoo could have been great, if he had not had the accident with his hand.. I think he could have made a Champion in the sport.. Currently Jason Daniels from Beech Creek.. I think he won Golden gloves a few years ago.. and of course Carey Lee.. I am speaking of Boxing--not street fighting, I think that is an entirely different way of fighting.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matewan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Williamson PD adds two new policemen 2 hr Haha 47
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 2 hr Dalai Lama 57,041
Mingo Central-mr.Moore 17 hr Rickdoodles 6
what song best describes your mood (Nov '09) 20 hr Blue Eyes 2,114
Brian elkins Thu friend of family 2
Benny Gooslin ( Benny Bot ) Tue Insane 2
WV How To Open A Beer With A Banana Tue Johnny 183
•••
•••
•••

Matewan Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••