Keyport Then and Now
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Since: Feb 07

Keyport

#1 Mar 30, 2007
Monday night (4-2-07)7:30 at the Keyport Historical Society building, there will be a display of photos showing Keyport 100 yrs ago with a companion photo of the same view as it looks today. It is hoped to encourage others to look at Keyport in a different light, as it as changed through the decades, either for the good or the bad.
Would like others to add their memories here as some have reguarding Union Beach's past.Some really great entries on that thread.

Keyport

#2 Apr 7, 2007
Alright I'll start. I've only been in Keyport 29 yrs. so my memories of Keyport might not seem as interesting. I recall going to Emily's on First St. making that poor woman count out 150 Swedish Fish at a penny a piece. I grew up on East Third and remember the fright train coming and going to IFF, my brother and I jumping on it for a short ride, seems stupid now. The first big fire I saw was St. Mary's Home on First and Green Grove where the condos are now around 1978-79.

Hope others recall Keyport's past.
Larry from Boca

AOL

#3 Apr 8, 2007
Jimmymac: OK, you asked for it! I lived in Union Beach (loved it and still do), then moved to Keyport and attended KHS. I think a lot of the memories might go back too far for you, but here goes. I too lived next to the old railroad tracks. My parents had a business in that big building on Broad Street (it's still there. The steam engines used to roll through and shake the hell out of the building, but we got used to it. There were no automatic gates, and there was a little gate house that a guy used to sit in, and when there was a train coming, he would get out and manually stop traffic. We moved to that building while I was in KHS, and after football practice, we used to sneak a ride from that point to Union Beach. Some of the places I rembember the most are Adam Huylar's Bicycle Shop on Front Street, just down the street from West Furniture. The Post Office was just across the street from Huylers. We always dined at the Ye Cottage Inn and Cotrell's Resturant. We got our lumber supplies at Conover Lumber Yard.
I could go on and on about the days at KHS, but maybe I'll save it for another day. Cheers!

Keyport

#4 Apr 8, 2007
Hi Larry,
Your the reason I started this thread. I read your post's on the UB thread and really enjoyed the conversations you created. My memories may only go back to 1978 but I'm considered some what of a historian here in Keyport. I collect Keyport postcards and photos. I am also working on a project along with a photographer friend called "Keyport Then and Now". I use the old postcards and photos and re-shoot the same view's today. We just gave a 2hr presentation at the Keyport Historical Society and had a great response.
Is the building your parents had now have a thrift shop and tattoo buisness in it ? What was your family buisness and when was it there ? also what is your family name ?

Glad you added your memories
Larry from Boca

AOL

#5 Apr 9, 2007
Hi Jimmymac:Yes, you are quite a bit ahead of my time, but your love for Keyport jazzes me. As far as your project about Keyport then and now, it is sure a worthwhile effort. I call your attention to book in a series called "Images of America" which has a book for Keyport. My late brother, also a Keyport resident until his passing, gave me the book on Keyport several years ago. It was published in 1995 by Arcadia Publishing, an immprint of the Chalford Publishing Corporation, One Washington Center, Dover New Hampshire 03820. The book breaks down Keyport into houses, stores, industry, churches, the fire department the business district and stores, schools, the bay and her boats, recreation and all around the town. It has photos on every page and lots of text with specifics covering each picture. Hope you can get a copy.
It even has a picture of Tuffy Baker. When I went to KHS in 1945, the athletic director was John Doerr. I made the football team under him in my sophmore year, then Tuffy took over in my junior year and I played football and baseball under him. A great guy! I can tell you a lot more about my days at KHS.
To answer your question, yes, I believe that the building that housed my father's business is now a thrift shop. It is at 242 Broad Street. We lived above the business (which was garment manufacturing), then moved across the street to 249 Broad Street. Lived there while I went to collage and was drafted in 1953. We later moved to Matawan. As far as the family name, I am a little hesitant to use names on the internet. Good luck with your project, and I am sure I will continue to give you more of my memories of Keyport.

Keyport

#6 Apr 9, 2007
Hi Larry, I have all 3 Keyport books by Tim Regan who is also one of my best friends. If you pick up the other 2 you'll see my name mentioned and in the 3rd a photo with me in it. The 1998 book as a great photo of Tuffy as coach about 1953 with Eugene Freiburg and Herbie Dietrich. I have a copy of that photo from Tim's collection I can send you if you like.
I remember Tuffy as the driver's ed teacher but he retired before I had a chance to meet him.
I'm a 20 yr member of the fire department and the name Doerr sounds familiar, was there a Harold Doerr ?
I understand your concerns about putting up personal info. Check out www.keyportfd.org if you wish to contact me personally. I'm the 3rd Asst. Chief.

If you plan on coming up to the area again I'll buy you a coffee at the now called "Seaport Diner". I'll show you the collection I have and then go across the street to the Keyport Fire Museum where I'm the curator.
Larry from Boca

AOL

#7 Apr 9, 2007
Sounds good to me. I like communicating in this medium because it might attract some other interested parties and give this a dimension with a lot of different views.
Coach Doerr's first name was John.
Maybe we can have that cup of coffee at Stanley's Diner. It was next to Bedeles and across from Wallings gas station. Are any of them still there?

Keyport

#8 Apr 9, 2007
Stanley's is The Seaport Diner, Wallings gas which I think was a Gulf and then Kapushy's Esso is now a car detail with some used cars for sale. Bedle's is still up and running, a good buisness to be in I guess.
The Seaport Diner does well with the locals. Some have their regular tables, If I need to find Tom Gallo Jr. he will be at his table Sunday mornings. Another thing nice about the Seaport are the old photos adorning the walls. They also support the fire museum and the St. Patrick's Parade.
Another great place in town to hear local remember when's is Rudy's Shoe Repair on Front St.
From time to time I'll put some names up to see if helps. Meldon "Babe" Stultz, Kieth Hyer, Bob Rose, any of the Ross boys.
Larry from Boca

AOL

#9 Apr 11, 2007
Hi Jimmymac: All this has inspired me to review some of my old photos and perhaps I can find some for your 'then and now' project. I will work on it.
Rudy's shoe repair...I can picture Rudy, but I can't remember his last name. I think it was an Italian name.
Talking about fire departments, my brother was very active with a fire company. I think it was a fire police or something like that. The fire house was down along almost the end of First Street, going into Lockport. He was also a special police officer and worked traffic a lot. He always admired Don Nuss, who recently passed away.
I will jog my mind and recall some of the teahers and stuff at KHS, and include it in the next session.

Since: Jan 07

Middletown, NJ

#10 Apr 11, 2007
Not sure how long the Army Navy store has been in business, but they have some great merchandise. I remember a store like that from my childhood in Port Richmond, Staten Island.

The Seaport Diner has great soups and I'm fond of their breakfasts. The waitresses are always very friendly.

Some newer eateries of note are Drew's and McDonnagh's (one of my favorites). A new steak restaurant is scheduled to open soon in a former Church. Perhaps Jimmy can give us more specifics on that.
Larry from Boca

AOL

#11 Apr 12, 2007
Just had the opportunity to visit Keyport's website www.keyportonline.com , there is a picture of the building at the corner of Broad and Front streets. I remember going in that side door on Broad Street, and going upstairs where they used to have teenage dances. We just had a good time....knew nothing about drugs and that stuff. I guess compared to today's society we were pretty square!
I also noted an item on the Union Beach site. I went to Cottage Park School, and Florence Avenue school. I think is cost the Beach about $100 per student in those days. I note on that site that Union Beach's school budget is FIFTEEN MILLION DOLLARS! Things sure have come a long way. God bless them all!

Keyport

#12 Apr 12, 2007
Hi Frank, I knew you would be on board.
The chuch at 84 Broad St. The former First Presbyterian built in 1879. Typical style, of being plain white, all wood and no stained glass.Around 1951 it it became home to the Christian Science Society.I was inside and it now as an amazing second floor. I didn't see a menu but what I hear it will be a nice place.

Larry, are you talking about what is now Mcdonagh's Pub ? What a great building. known as the Salz building or Walling Hall c.1880 I know from others that there used to be a archery club that held competitions up there.
I'll be opening the Fire Museum tomorrow Friday at 2pm to do some interviews with a couple of residents about Keyport's past. Frank your welcome to stop in, Larry I know your not local, but anytime your up this way, the door will be open.
Larry from Boca

AOL

#13 Apr 12, 2007
THANKS JIMMYMAC, OF COURSE I AM QUITE A WAYS AWAY AND I WOULD LOVE TO BE THERE, BUT I WILL BE THERE IN SPIRIT.
ONE OF THE THINGS MY BROTHR AND I DID WAS TO PARTICIPATE IN A VIDEO AT THE UNION BEACH LIBRARY FEATURING THE UNION BEACH HISTORICAL SOCIETY.. LET'S SEE I HAVE BEEN HERE ALMOST ELEVEN YEARS, SO IT MUST GO BACK ABOUT 15 YEARS. I LOVE THE VIDEO WHERE MY BROTHER AND I WERE INTERVIEWED. BRINGS BACK GREAT MEMORIES. IN FACT, THIS WHOLE THING HAS GOT MY NOSTALGIC JUICES FLOWING. GO JUICES!!!!!!!!

Middletown, NJ

#14 Apr 13, 2007
Larry you wouldn't recognize the inside of that building now. Thye did a beautiful restoration. Exposed brick walls, hardwood floors, a large bar (imported from Ireland I believe). A really nice pub.

http://www.mcdonaghs.com/index.html

Middletown, NJ

#15 Apr 13, 2007
Jimmy, what is your opinion of the waterfront park development? I thought it was a nice idea when I first read about it, but I see there are some people who are concerned about taking out the parking lot. Seems to me they could find a compromise by moving the lot? I know when visiting the town during festivals, there is a parking shortage.

Keyport

#16 Apr 13, 2007
Larry,I have a photo of the KHS football team from the 1946 season, are you in that photo ? What number were you ? It is being lent to me by Bill McFarland #68. Great uniforms and leather helmets. John Doerr is also present. I also have a photo of the 1945-46 basketball team with members "Big Red" Ernes Lawson, Thomas and Harry Alikas, Bill Newman, Frank Fleming and others. Spent about 2 hrs with a couple of lifetime residents looking at the old photos. They are amazed at how something are remembered from so long ago and yet can't remember what they had for breakfast the day before.

Keyport

#17 Apr 13, 2007
Frank, I'm in favor of keeping the waterfront within the current configuration, meaning, allow the road to remain but moved back from the bulkhead. Parking will always be problem. Red Bank as the same situation during big events, like the 4th of July fireworks and the Riverfest. The powers that be want the waterfront to be the focal point of Keyport ( If we build it, they will come) and attract out of towners to come and spend money that would in turn bring more buisnesses to the area and increase ratables, sounds good, but if you don't have parking they just won't come. To me Legion Drive is Keyport. No other town in the bayshore area has anything like it and when its gone its gone for good.
Larry from Boca

AOL

#18 Apr 14, 2007
Jimmy: I am blown away with your knowledge of the basketball players. I think I am in the '46 football picture. I would be number 62. I have a later picture on my wall that was taken in my senior year. I am in the front row, number 11. You are absolutely right about the leather helmets. The first team I recall having the plastic helmets was Atlantic Highlands. They had two outstanding 3 sport black guys named Rackley and Mills. It happened that I caught for the baseball squad . I particularly remember catching a game against Atlantic Highlands, pitched by Bob Boyce (deseased), when he set a Shore Conference record by striking out 17 men. I also remember that at one point, it was either Rackley or Mills came to the plate, and the umpire said to him, "Why don't you sit down, you're not going to hit this guy today!"
I know that I have pictues of those days. I just got a new photo scanner, so I will see what I can dig up and maybe get them to you somehow.
I am not sure what you and Frank are talking about the water front, but also being a former Beacher, I am very impressed with what they did to that water front.
I think I already have pictures scanned of the big hurricane that destroyed so much of Union Beach. I will see what I can do to get them to you.
Larry from Boca

AOL

#19 Apr 14, 2007
PS. I believe Bill McFarland's nick name was "Mackiola"
Larry from Boca

AOL

#20 Apr 14, 2007
I have retreived the NJ HURRICANE FILE. How do I send it to you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matawan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Victory Bridge jumper survives icy plunge after... (Jan '11) Tue lazywolf54 10
boycott brooklands weybridge, surrey uk Mon simple guy 2
Hells angels harming and murdering women , chi... (Jan '09) May 17 Big mac 38
brooklands dotcom weybridge uk May 5 jeanne michaels 1
Skate park in Keyport is a bad idea (Apr '10) May 1 Mack 22
Just moved to Matawan (Mar '09) Apr 24 Anthony Scarpuzzi 19
Review: K M Pools (Jun '14) Apr '16 ripped off 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Matawan Mortgages