Mastic student sex attacks raise worr...

Mastic student sex attacks raise worries again

There are 99 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 15, 2008, titled Mastic student sex attacks raise worries again. In it, Newsday reports that:

Long-standing concerns about the number of sex offenders in the Mastic area surfaced anew among parents, civic leaders and school officials Tuesday, one day after a William Floyd High School student was ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Truth

Wayne, NJ

#2 Jan 15, 2008
White trash, sex offenders, a school district that shrugs responsibility for its students...got to love Mastic and William Floyd. Maybe if the school administration wasn't so busy stealing money from taxpayers, they'd have time to do their jobs?
mastake beach

Metairie, LA

#3 Jan 15, 2008
Wow, I read the headlines and just new mastic had another headline. When are they going to put a fence around that area and spray it with something. Is there anything good about Mastic/Mastic beach besides the Sand Bar?

Since: Jan 08

ex New Yorker now in Fl

#4 Jan 15, 2008
Blame the courts, lawyers and judges that let these slime out of jail instead of putting them away forever.
anotherwinner

Bronx, NY

#5 Jan 15, 2008
Truth, your a moron.

So school lets out... Now its their responsibility to usher them directly into your home eh? These are HS kids that are doing their own thing. When they leave school grounds on their own will, why doesnt mommy and daddy get their butts there to pick them up?? Nope the school should send their security guards running after them to pull them back by their hair into the building... Can we all say the words... Lawsuit?

I guess its just easier for people to blame someone else when bad things happen. Why not simply educate our kids at home about how to react to strangers. I guess some of these parents forgot to remind their kids not to talk to strangers. But wait... educating our kids with common values and beliefs... The school has to be responsible because they are there to teach everything.

Again, sad when we look elsewhere to blame when simple common sense would have prevented this from happening.
mastic born

White Plains, NY

#6 Jan 15, 2008
This crap can happen anywhere. Unfortunately lawmakers and liberal pukes, along with money hungry landlords that live outside this town, feel that this is a good place to dump the garbage. We need to go back to the old days and clean this place up. I was born here and Im raising my family here. God help the person or persons who decide to make headlines at my sons expense

Teach your kids right, kill em all, and let God sort them out
former resident

Medford, NY

#7 Jan 15, 2008
I am so glad I moved out of that area and was able to sell my house when I did. My House was only a few blocks from William Floyd High School, and I had a really creepy feeling around there when I walked my dog during the day.
All the sex offfender notices were shocking, I was really upset that Mastic and Shirley became a dumping ground for sex offenders and sober houses, it really hurt me because middle class, normal people like myself thought the area was getting better in the late 90's and around 2001, but due to all the greedy landlords and uncaring state, county, and local officials, the area is once again a disgusting "trashy, low life area"
OUR POLITICIANS AND LAWMAKERS MUST DO SOMETHING !!
I am so glad my family is out of there....
NYSTATESCAM

AOL

#8 Jan 15, 2008
Some communities take the brunt of unfair government policies.The State Office of Mental Hygiene who run our local state psychiatric centers has used the mastic,shirly area as a dumping grounds for ex psychiatric patients some of whome are sex offenders.This communitie has been saturated with social services,section 8 needing individuals do to its lower housing costs which will bring property values even lower and drain community resources.Remember Long Beach in the 70's it was a slum and state dumping grounds.Proprty values were depressed though when they cleaned out the area property values skyrocketed.It will get alot worse in that area.
Captain Lou Albano

South Salem, NY

#9 Jan 15, 2008
You Gotta Love MASTIC!!!!! Snakes, perves, trailors, garbage, abandoned lots...what's next?
Mom

Yonkers, NY

#10 Jan 15, 2008
Don't forget lost souls, Capt. Lou. We get more sex offender notices than credit card applications. We can't all live in Hicksville.
mistake beach

Bronx, NY

#11 Jan 15, 2008
keep telling my folks to move out of there due to the trash and lowlifes that reside there. they ruin it for the hard workers who actually take care of their property and don't have five plateless cars on the dirt lawn. It's kind of odd when you drive by a house in the middle of a work week and there will be 5 or 6 guys in there 20's and 30's hanging out at 1p.m. these losers don't work there selling drugs out of the rented houses they live in. I feel for the hard workers in mastic and the beach, but the only time you'll catch me strolling beverly hills rd, sorry, i mean neighborhood road,is when i visit my folks.
p.s. will they ever bulldoze that old eyesore of shultzes.....
Captain Lou Albano

South Salem, NY

#12 Jan 15, 2008
best of luck...i hope you guys could turn it around mom. sounds like there are a lot of people in your arear who certainly dondeserve all this.

hicksville is my ip address...dont live there.
missing the point

Englishtown, NJ

#13 Jan 15, 2008
Did any of you folks notice that the person arrested for the first assault WAS NOT A REGISTERED SEX OFFENDER? Perhaps you missed that point.
Oh, and before you decide to share your wisdom with the masses, learn how to spell.
Cant sell my house

Yorktown Heights, NY

#14 Jan 15, 2008
mastake beach wrote:
Wow, I read the headlines and just new mastic had another headline. When are they going to put a fence around that area and spray it with something. Is there anything good about Mastic/Mastic beach besides the Sand Bar?
Are you talking about the Sand Bar drinking hole? The one that was held up at gunpoint a few years ago?
UNREAL

Dover, FL

#15 Jan 15, 2008
All of the students at this time should be bussed! No matter how far they are from the school. Many of these students go to the pizza parlor and other hang outs and then walk home later. At this time until they catch this person or persons this is what needs to be done. Keep in mind people this can happen in your neighborhoods as well. The main issue here is to protect these kids; unfortunately parents have to work and are not able to pick there kids up from school. As far as all these sex offenders something needs to be done there is way too many in that area. The people in the areas where these sex offenders are need to fight with the county to get them out they did it in Yaphank and the people won the man moved and yes it was only one man not 150 to 200. I hope that catch this creep before he strikes again!! GIRLS BE SMART AND SAFE!
UNREAL

Dover, FL

#16 Jan 15, 2008
former resident wrote:
I am so glad I moved out of that area and was able to sell my house when I did. My House was only a few blocks from William Floyd High School, and I had a really creepy feeling around there when I walked my dog during the day.
All the sex offfender notices were shocking, I was really upset that Mastic and Shirley became a dumping ground for sex offenders and sober houses, it really hurt me because middle class, normal people like myself thought the area was getting better in the late 90's and around 2001, but due to all the greedy landlords and uncaring state, county, and local officials, the area is once again a disgusting "trashy, low life area"
OUR POLITICIANS AND LAWMAKERS MUST DO SOMETHING !!
I am so glad my family is out of there....
Middle Island isn't any better!
Cautious Mom

Cross River, NY

#17 Jan 16, 2008
This is the main reason I have my children in martial arts! There, they learn how to defend themselves and to react quickly. But most of all it teaches them to be aware of their surroundings!
RealWorries

Washington, DC

#18 Jan 16, 2008
NAIROBI, Kenya —
For two terrifying hours, the woman crouched inside her shop, watching as a gang attacked five men in the street, pulled down their trousers and sliced their genitals with rusty machetes.
"The men were screaming and saying,'Please don't kill me, don't cut me,"' the 35-year-old vendor told The Associated Press, asking to be identified only by one initial, K., because she feared reprisals by the gang.
In the violence that has followed Kenya's disputed presidential election, a notorious gang has been mutilating the genitals of both men and women — inflicting a brutal punishment on members of a rival tribe that does not traditionally circumcise.
Many of the mutilation victims belong to the Luo tribe of opposition presidential candidate Raila Odinga, say witnesses and even a recruiter for the gang itself.
The gang, called the Mungiki, draws mostly from President Mwai Kibaki's Kikuyu tribe, which has long dominated politics and business in this East African country.
Mungiki, which means "multitude" in Kikuyu, originally promoted traditional Kikuyu practices, including female genital mutilation. But in recent years it has become involved in extortion and murder and it also provides hired muscle for politicians.
Millie Odhiambo-Mabona, a lawyer with a children's rights group who reported hearing of numerous such attacks, said mutilation is a "weapon of war" for groups that practice traditional circumcision.
K., interviewed in the Nairobi slum of Kibera, reported seeing five men harmed in this way, including at least two whose penises were cut off and thrown into a fire. She said she believed those men died because she saw the attackers throw the bodies behind some kiosks.
K., the vendor, said she recognized the attackers outside her shop as Mungiki. She said that over a two hour period, she watched the gang waylay five men; each attack took about five minutes.
"My husband also was hiding at the shop with me," she said. "My husband was afraid they were going to attack him next so we stayed quiet, quiet."
Since witnessing the mutilations, K. has abandoned her business selling vegetables and chickens in a predominantly Kikuyu area of Kibera.
"I will never go back there," she said. "I hear it's still going on."
John Holmes, the United Nations undersecretary-general for humanitarian affairs, said he had received reports of genital mutilation.
Edward Omolo, a Kenyan who teaches biology at Central Pennsylvania's Community College, said he had heard of about 20 mutilation killings, including his 45-year-old Luo uncle who bled to death after suffering in a Nairobi slum around Dec. 30.
Omolo, who also said a niece and her 7-month-old daughter had been hacked to death by matchetes in another attack, blames Kibaki for the bloodshed. He drove last week from Harrisburg to New York to join about 50 protesters demanding a new government for Kenya.
Brilliant

Huntington, NY

#19 Jan 16, 2008
Truth wrote:
White trash, sex offenders, a school district that shrugs responsibility for its students...got to love Mastic and William Floyd. Maybe if the school administration wasn't so busy stealing money from taxpayers, they'd have time to do their jobs?
Good to hear from the MENSA scholars.
Yeah, the school administration isn't doing their jobs.
What you need to do is hire more of them at taxpayer expense and have them hide in the forests and junkyards and abandoned trailer lots waiting for Mastic girls who take shortcuts by themselves into dangerous areas. This way when they see one of these girls, they can give them a real tongue lashing -- the same one they've gotten in school since day one but didn't listen or care.
And while the administrators are waiting for these girls in the wooded areas, perhaps they will actually see an assault in progress and they will swoop down and defend the young lady's honor, and surely the young lady will be so grateful that she will tell the truth about what happened to her caring Mastic parents, who in turn will reward the administrator and not look to file a lawsuit blaming the administrator who was hiding in the woods.

For heaven's sake, DEVELOP A BRAIN, STOP THIKING THAT ALL TEACHERS AND SCHOOL PERSONELL ARE EVIL AND INCOMPETENT BECAUSE OF THE ACTIONS OF A FEW CRIMINALS!

Believe it or not, most people don't go into the educational field and deal with all of the expense and obstacles they have to overcome just so that they can leech your tax dollars. They do it to make a difference, and they make kids lives better every day. "Truth", you are a moron who has ZERO to offer. You are part of the problem. Teachers are part of the SOLUTION!
Spanky

Lindenhurst, NY

#20 Jan 16, 2008
Just because the first guy in the stoy wasn't registered doesn't mean he wasn't doing this all along. He just never got caught figuring that one of the guys on the list would get blamed. You cannot let a sex offender out of jail. Ever. They cannot be rehabilitated. All the time they spend behind bars just helps them to plan their next attack when they get out. Please someone prove me wrong.
The Only Answer

United States

#21 Jan 16, 2008
"At Tuesday night's meeting, Brookhaven Town Councilman Keith Romaine said he hoped the town could expedite an entrepreneur's application to demolish the house to make way for a Dunkin' Donuts."

As has been already suggested: Bring in the wrecking ball.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mastic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why brucie doesn't pay taxes 35 min Ha Ha Ha 26
Thank god for trump 16 hr Chad Lackey 5
bamboo invasion in masticbeach Fri georga boy 2
Guardian Angels Thu 11951 Rat Dog 14
Crimes in Mastic Beach Thu Liar 19
Marina 1 For Sale Thu Liar 22
hey Thu Really Brady 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mastic Mortgages