Police: Pit bulls kill three goats in...

Police: Pit bulls kill three goats in Mastic

There are 195 comments on the Newsday story from Aug 20, 2010, titled Police: Pit bulls kill three goats in Mastic. In it, Newsday reports that:

A homeowner on Cranberry Drive in Mastic Beach woke to the sound of dogs barking early Friday morning and went into his yard to find pit bulls had attacked and killed three goats, Suffolk County police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Badtothebone

Yorktown Heights, NY

#1 Aug 20, 2010
Hey William, get rid of the other goat and clean up your yard, the place looks like a shithole!
Brookhaven

Yorktown Heights, NY

#2 Aug 20, 2010
Why did the Town of Brookhaven not enforce the existing laws against having those animals on less than 1 acre of land?
Because Mastic Beach is the forgotten stepchild of Brookhaven.
What realtor rented the house where the illegal pit bulls came from?
Mastic Beach is like the wild west.
Vote Yes for the village and lets clean this mess up!!
like it is

South Ozone Park, NY

#3 Aug 20, 2010
You are right about the yard BUT the goats had nothing to do with this.

Its high time that landlords become fully responsible for all that goes on in their rentals.

By the way MOST landlords DO NOT pay the proper income tax on the rents that they receive.
Vote Yes

Yorktown Heights, NY

#4 Aug 20, 2010
like it is wrote:
Its high time that landlords become fully responsible for all that goes on in their rentals.
By the way MOST landlords DO NOT pay the proper income tax on the rents that they receive.
I'm sickened and angry at the same time. I hope the owner of those dogs is found. I want to know where these dogs came from and hold the owners responsible.
God forbid those dogs attack a small child next.
Who the hell is renting houses and allowing the tenants to have pit bulls that run free?
We will find out soon I think.
Badtothebone

Yorktown Heights, NY

#5 Aug 20, 2010
like it is wrote:

I'm not saying the goats had anything to do with it but they don't belong there. As far as the landlords responsibility, come on, the renter is a big boy and doesn't need to have his hand held.

Since: Apr 09

Yorktown Heights, NY

#6 Aug 21, 2010
Brookhaven wrote:
Why did the Town of Brookhaven not enforce the existing laws against having those animals on less than 1 acre of land?
Because Mastic Beach is the forgotten stepchild of Brookhaven.
What realtor rented the house where the illegal pit bulls came from?
Mastic Beach is like the wild west.
Vote Yes for the village and lets clean this mess up!!
What an "A" hole. Cant have a thred without a village nut chimeing in.
There was a family on Hockey off Monroe who had two Pits that kept getting out and killing the local cats. They got evicted by the landlord. Is it possible they found another rental by Cranberry?
They have cars ,campers,boat,and pit bulls. And even though I dont have goats they make good pets if kept after much like a dog. And they mow the lawn for free.
Confused

AOL

#7 Aug 21, 2010
It is a shame but why were goats being kept in a residential area? I have a feeling that must be illegal. I am just so thankful that it was not some children who were attacked.
Malverne Mel

Stratford, CT

#8 Aug 21, 2010
Beach Man wrote:
<quoted text>
What an "A" hole. Cant have a thred without a village nut chimeing in.
There was a family on Hockey off Monroe who had two Pits that kept getting out and killing the local cats. They got evicted by the landlord. Is it possible they found another rental by Cranberry?
They have cars ,campers,boat,and pit bulls. And even though I dont have goats they make good pets if kept after much like a dog. And they mow the lawn for free.
Mel is wondering why Beachman, who is usually not so caustic, calling someone who mentions the word village, an A-hole? Isn't it obvious that the owner of the house where the pitbulls live has some responsibility for this? And if the owner has rented the house out to a third party, this does not relieve the owner of liability. I suspect the reason the "village" word was used was because there is a Brookhaven town ordinance about farm animals on a residential lot, which the previous writer was probably intending to say a village would have enforced the code.

The owners of pit bulls should be required to have all the animals licensed, proof of vaccinations, and proof of liability insurance. There also is a leash law in Brookhaven Town, which is not being enforced.

Yorktown Heights, NY

#9 Aug 21, 2010
Malverne Mel wrote:
<quoted text>Mel is wondering why Beachman, who is usually not so caustic, calling someone who mentions the word village, an A-hole? Isn't it obvious that the owner of the house where the pitbulls live has some responsibility for this? And if the owner has rented the house out to a third party, this does not relieve the owner of liability. I suspect the reason the "village" word was used was because there is a Brookhaven town ordinance about farm animals on a residential lot, which the previous writer was probably intending to say a village would have enforced the code.
The owners of pit bulls should be required to have all the animals licensed, proof of vaccinations, and proof of liability insurance. There also is a leash law in Brookhaven Town, which is not being enforced.
Your right Mel. But you have admit. You can equate just about any topic to put down TOB and say something pro village and visa versa. If you read into the storey and see the channel 12 report. The guy had four goats. The back yard didnt look like a farm field. He kept the goats in a pen. And he was planning on moving them to a farm because he is forclosing on his home. Not an unfamilier story these days. It doesnt say his neighbors complained about the goats and the town refused to do anything about it. "Brookhaven" is useing every forum to force Village propaganda on everyone. My question is. Why do you talk about yourself in the third person? And I already know town code for animals. One more dog and Im in violation.
Darius Williams IV

Bay Shore, NY

#10 Aug 21, 2010
Ahh Mastic. A place that makes the people Coram feel superior. That doesn't occur to often!
Brookhaven

Yorktown Heights, NY

#11 Aug 21, 2010
Once again Beachman has the facts wrong.
Four goats were killed. Two survived because he locked them in the garage. That makes six goats.
According to Newsday:
"The two now say they will move to Maine at the end of October, taking their remaining animals - two male goats that were locked in the garage, as well as a dog, two cats and a few chickens."
By my count, that's six goats, two cats, a dog, and a few chickens.
I feel safe saying that's against Brookhaven's code for a lot that size.
I saw the News 12 story. The backyard was covered in straw. Probably didn't smell too good if you happen to live next door.
Then we have the owner or owners of multiple pit bulls running loose.
They have now killed. They are dangerous.
The Town of Brookhaven should be working overtime this weekend and round up every loose dog in Mastic Beach.
This is a very serious situation that could get worse should a child or children become the next victims.
It's about time the laws get enforced here.
Badtothebone

Yorktown Heights, NY

#13 Aug 21, 2010
Darius Williams IV wrote:
Ahh Mastic. A place that makes the people Coram feel superior. That doesn't occur to often!
Glad we could help, it's not easy being the scum of the earth!
Christine

AOL

#14 Aug 21, 2010
Wow, it's not easy being the scum of the earth![/
QUOTE]Wow...it's amazing the stuff people thrive to discuss. This isn't a joke people...if you don't live here...please don't comment Badtothebone because this doesn't concern you...Find something to do with all the spare time you have on your hands, or else just move here because you somehow seem to fit in here (with all the other losers). The people responsible for owning these PITBULLS NEED TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR DOGS ACTIONS. I am sorry, I have seen so many rental houses with children and pets that are not being taken care of. It is sickening and enough is shough. It seems like the county has DUMPED so many people willing to rent these houses and have LOTS OF LANDLORDS WILLING TO RENT TO ANYBODY... that do not work and breed these PITBULLS as a part time job. I know I am not the only one seeing this and I am done watching. I WILL PAY HIGHER TAXES BECAUSE I WORK AND I CARE AND WANT TO SEE CHANGE....SOON!!!!The time has come. This poor man and his goats are just one of many animals that have died because of neglect to these pitbulls, next it will be children waiting for their bus in the morning. What will it take people, if you have a choice...then make it. Whats it worth??????? Its all about the QUALITY OF LIFE HERE. <3
Christine

AOL

#15 Aug 21, 2010
I also know as a homeowner, my insurance company asked if I owned a dog, and what type of dog I owned. If I did, this means it had to be put on my policy...in case something happens...I am covered. Why do I have to pay...if the rest of Mastic Beach "rentals" get away with this????? It means certain people dont care. Meaning the LANDLORDS renting these houses. Am I right? YES I am!!!!!
Badtothebone

Yorktown Heights, NY

#16 Aug 22, 2010
Christine wrote:
Wow, it's not easy being the scum of the earth![/
QUOTE]Wow...it's amazing the stuff people thrive to discuss. This isn't a joke people...if you don't live here...please don't comment Badtothebone because this doesn't concern you...Find something to do with all the spare time you have on your hands, or else just move here because you somehow seem to fit in here (with all the other losers). The people responsible for owning these PITBULLS NEED TO BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR DOGS ACTIONS. I am sorry, I have seen so many rental houses with children and pets that are not being taken care of. It is sickening and enough is shough. It seems like the county has DUMPED so many people willing to rent these houses and have LOTS OF LANDLORDS WILLING TO RENT TO ANYBODY... that do not work and breed these PITBULLS as a part time job. I know I am not the only one seeing this and I am done watching. I WILL PAY HIGHER TAXES BECAUSE I WORK AND I CARE AND WANT TO SEE CHANGE....SOON!!!!The time has come. This poor man and his goats are just one of many animals that have died because of neglect to these pitbulls, next it will be children waiting for their bus in the morning. What will it take people, if you have a choice...then make it. Whats it worth??????? Its all about the QUALITY OF LIFE HERE. <3

You don't make sense. You bash me for my comment then tell me to move "here" with the rest of the losers. Does "here" mean move in along with you in Mastic Beach?
Malverne Mel

Stratford, CT

#17 Aug 22, 2010
Beach Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Your right Mel. But you have admit. You can equate just about any topic to put down TOB and say something pro village and visa versa. If you read into the storey and see the channel 12 report. The guy had four goats. The back yard didnt look like a farm field. He kept the goats in a pen. And he was planning on moving them to a farm because he is forclosing on his home. Not an unfamilier story these days. It doesnt say his neighbors complained about the goats and the town refused to do anything about it. "Brookhaven" is useing every forum to force Village propaganda on everyone. My question is. Why do you talk about yourself in the third person? And I already know town code for animals. One more dog and Im in violation.
Actually, Beach Man, I talk in third person to bug Brady.

Brookhaven code allows up to 10 dogs in one house, if you are one shy of the limit, you must have a sled team!

And You are right, none of the neighbors seemed to be bothered, because he tended his animals well. But, the Code does forbid him from harboring these animals unless their pen is at least 50 feet from any neighbors, which is hard to do on a 40 foot wide lot.

The town is not enforcing the leash law. I walk often, and I have been menaced by aggressive dogs, which are in sight of their owners, who do nothing because they are worthless human beings. I now resort to carrying a weapon for self defense. Leash your dogs, it's the law.

Yorktown Heights, NY

#18 Aug 22, 2010
Malverne Mel wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, Beach Man, I talk in third person to bug Brady.
Brookhaven code allows up to 10 dogs in one house, if you are one shy of the limit, you must have a sled team!
And You are right, none of the neighbors seemed to be bothered, because he tended his animals well. But, the Code does forbid him from harboring these animals unless their pen is at least 50 feet from any neighbors, which is hard to do on a 40 foot wide lot.
The town is not enforcing the leash law. I walk often, and I have been menaced by aggressive dogs, which are in sight of their owners, who do nothing because they are worthless human beings. I now resort to carrying a weapon for self defense. Leash your dogs, it's the law.
I thought it was 3. No sled team here. Just 3 mushes. We walk them now and then and so far no bad stories with strays. I think I would be the one fighting as my dogs are alot of bark and no bite. There are alot of pit bulls behind fences that are very vicious. We mapped out our walk to avoid those houses.
SCPD is not going to enforce any dog laws unless it involves an incident. TOB has limited resourses and does enforce leash laws if you call and complain. I have had to pick up my dogs when they excaped in the past. Very embarrasing. Since I have to deal with this alot on the job I have learned about Animal control a little.
Imagine 2 to 4 trucks that have to cover all of Brookhaven. This isnt going to change with the village either. Except more violations possibly.
Vote Yes

Yorktown Heights, NY

#19 Aug 22, 2010
Beach Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought it was 3. No sled team here. Just 3 mushes. We walk them now and then and so far no bad stories with strays. I think I would be the one fighting as my dogs are alot of bark and no bite. There are alot of pit bulls behind fences that are very vicious. We mapped out our walk to avoid those houses.
SCPD is not going to enforce any dog laws unless it involves an incident. TOB has limited resourses and does enforce leash laws if you call and complain. I have had to pick up my dogs when they excaped in the past. Very embarrasing. Since I have to deal with this alot on the job I have learned about Animal control a little.
Imagine 2 to 4 trucks that have to cover all of Brookhaven. This isnt going to change with the village either. Except more violations possibly.
Sorry Beachman. I'm not going to accept the fact that with the amount of taxes we pay, the Town of Brookhaven won't enforce existing codes.
That's why we need a village.
The Village of Mastic Beach will not reqest existing codes be enforced.
We will demand it.
And we will get action.
If you think this situation is acceptable, and you want to vote no to keep things the way they are in Mastic Beach, then vote no.
If you want to hold the Town of Brookhaven accountable, have local control of issues just like this one, then vote Yes for a village.
We will change the way the Town of Brookhaven treats the residents of Mastic Beach.

Yorktown Heights, NY

#20 Aug 22, 2010
Vote Yes wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Beachman. I'm not going to accept the fact that with the amount of taxes we pay, the Town of Brookhaven won't enforce existing codes.
That's why we need a village.
The Village of Mastic Beach will not reqest existing codes be enforced.
We will demand it.
And we will get action.
If you think this situation is acceptable, and you want to vote no to keep things the way they are in Mastic Beach, then vote no.
If you want to hold the Town of Brookhaven accountable, have local control of issues just like this one, then vote Yes for a village.
We will change the way the Town of Brookhaven treats the residents of Mastic Beach.
Your to funny. If you think the TOB is going to care what the mayor of MBV thinks your loosing what little you have left. Budget restraints force the TOB to strech 3-4 trucks over the whole Brookhaven area. You can demand till your blue in the face. TOB might even say get your own animal control. The village will change the way we are treated. It will get worse. Stop your pol1itical dribble. Its getting old.
Hey! THE VILLAGE WILL BRING WORLD PEACE!! Is the your next slogan?
Vote Yes

Yorktown Heights, NY

#21 Aug 22, 2010
Beach Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Your to funny. If you think the TOB is going to care what the mayor of MBV thinks your loosing what little you have left. Budget restraints force the TOB to strech 3-4 trucks over the whole Brookhaven area. You can demand till your blue in the face. TOB might even say get your own animal control. The village will change the way we are treated. It will get worse. Stop your pol1itical dribble. Its getting old.
Hey! THE VILLAGE WILL BRING WORLD PEACE!! Is the your next slogan?
If you want to live in a Mastic Beach where pit bulls roam free and kill, vote no for a village.
If you want to hold the Town of Brookhaven accountable, and want existing laws and codes to be enforced, vote Yes for the village.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mastic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
no crab fest 9 hr Sick of New Horiz... 16
hey 18 hr MB Lover 4
why brucie doesn't pay taxes Sat Liar 30
Thank god for trump Fri Chad Lackey 5
bamboo invasion in masticbeach Aug 28 georga boy 2
Guardian Angels Aug 27 11951 Rat Dog 14
Crimes in Mastic Beach Aug 27 Liar 19
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mastic Mortgages